Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Custom Rifle Action

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
jsl3170
.224 member

Reged: 16/12/04
Loc: Maine, USA
Custom Rifle Action
      #78265 - 09/05/07 07:08 AM

I am continuing to look around. Does anyone have information regarding the Waffenfabrik Hein action? Have they put out the Mauser 98? The original N Series was the Pre 64 Model 70 correct? They offer a round bridge versus square bridge action. What is the difference as far as performance is concerned, if any? How do they rank against the GMA or the Dakota or the Empire? Are they worth the year long wait?

Thanks,
Jeff

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Roscoe
.224 member

Reged: 25/02/07
Loc: Arkansas
Re: Custom Rifle Action [Re: jsl3170]
      #78320 - 10/05/07 02:05 AM

I have seen nothing but good reviews for the Hein actions. Worth the Wait???? Only you can answer that question.

jsl3170
.224 member

Re: Custom Rifle Action [Re: Roscoe]
      #78341 - 10/05/07 06:57 AM

Thanks. As between the GMA and the Hein which would you pick? GMA tells me their turnaround time is approx 5 months while Hein is about a year.

Roscoe
.224 member

#78365 - 10/05/07 11:01 AM

I guess if both were the same price then I would go for the GMA.

jsl3170
.224 member

#78436 - 11/05/07 11:03 AM

Okay! This is what I am looking for; now why the GMA over the Hein?

Roscoe
.224 member

#78470 - 11/05/07 11:27 PM

I don't think you will go wrong with either action. That being said the GMA action is well known in the custom gunmaker circle. Hein is just getting their business started. The other reason is the delivery time. You state that a GMA can be had in 5 months....Hein will be 12 months or more. Now if you would like to have some special features added to the action like special scope mounts or sight options...then Hein may be the best place to go. Once again...from what I know (and that is not very much) both of these guys build great products...you will be very happy with any one of them.

jsl3170
.224 member

#78483 - 12/05/07 03:25 AM

Thanks, Roscoe. I have also been to the Empire Rifles facility in the NH backwater. Sadly, I have red some negative reports about their ability to deliver on time. However, to their credit, I had a gret time and the actions seemed really nice. Ultimately, we envision building rifles in keeping with traditional safari guns; barrel banded rear and front sights as well as front sling. Personally, I prefer the look of a rear sight mounted on the cocking piece but my Dad likes the look for a banded rear sight.

Incidentally, I have read in other forums on other sites threads where people go on and on about the felt recoil of the 375 H & H (our choice of caliber). Shooting it I understand what people are saying when they describe the recoil as a push versus a shove. Matter of fact, I find its recoil much more acceptable than my dbl barrel marsh gun. Oh well, recoil is subjective anywho.

BTW, what is the terrain like in Arkansas and what sorts of critters do you chase after?

333Jeffery
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/06
Loc: Florida
      #78634 - 14/05/07 12:54 PM

If you want a "traditional" rifle, have J. Roberts build you a gun: http://www.jroberts-gunmakers.co.uk/makers/wjj.htm . Not cheap, but not outrageously expensive either.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #78681 - 15/05/07 09:26 AM

I have talked to my friend Dave Norin as an independent gunmaker who uses both actions and he likes both a lot. Also, having met Karl Webber and Greg Hein, I do think they are very fine people. If you're going to have an independent gunsmith build your rifle, why don't you ask him for his opinion? Or, if you're going to have GMA or Hein build you the entire rifle, then you could have a word with some of their clients. I am sure both have several highly satisfied clients including members over here.

Good luck and do post when you come to a decision. Don;t forget to post pictures of your rifle as she is being built.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Custom Rifle Action [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #78745 - 16/05/07 02:51 PM

I was in your position a while back and was deciding between GMA and Satterlee Arms (Hein was not in the running because I wanted a true Mag Mauser action). I chose Satterlee Arms. Stuart is a very talented machinst and gun maker in his own right. His actions, to my eyes, are like a work of art. They appear to be better finished then a GMA action out of the box as well which means less money you have to pay to your gunsmith for polishing work.

If I needed an action asap, I would likely go with a GMA. If I could wait a bit longer I would take a very good look at Satterlee's actions.

http://satterleearms.com/

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: Custom Rifle Action [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #78748 - 16/05/07 03:27 PM

If you're going to have an independent gunsmith build your rifle, why don't you ask him for his opinion?

Got in one.

Mike

jsl3170
.224 member

Re: Custom Rifle Action [Re: bulldog563]
      #78827 - 18/05/07 04:23 AM

As it turns out, Satterlee isn't taking orders for LH actions which we need. Thus, it seems I am at GMA, Hein and Empire. Interestingly, the Empire is being offered to me at the same price as the GMA while the Hein is a little less.

I have read elsewhere that the GMA requires quite a bit of polishing upon arrival whereas Hein promises an action ready to be inletted upon delivery. Don't know about Empire. While we're on them, does a thrid locking lug matter today from a functionality point of view? Also, Empire offers their H-ring 98S at the same price as GMA's C-ring. The difference(s)?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #89810 - 27/11/07 12:59 AM

Reimer Johannsen GmbH halso makes CNC machined Mauser actions. www.johannsen-jagd.de

pinotguy
.275 member

Reged: 03/02/07
Loc: CO
Re: Custom Rifle Action [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #90059 - 29/11/07 12:53 PM

It may complicate matters since they are located in Belgium but the Dumoulin-Herstal actions are amazing. They offer two sizes - standard and magnum. Not sure on the availability of left-handed actions though.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Custom Rifle Action [Re: pinotguy]
      #90061 - 29/11/07 01:01 PM

Empire Rifles are the US agents for Dumoulin actions and they sell these in addition to their own, IIRC.

ALso, many experts consider Hartman and Weiss to be the finest manufacturers of Mauser actions these days.

But then, again, these may be suggestions that only cause confusion as the original question was about GMA and Hein?

Gopod hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6077

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com