Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: Shanster]
      #89394 - 21/11/07 04:43 AM

Quote:

Multiple trips to the range and $100 in ammo before the hunt.

And there in lies the problem--IMHO---most people shoot a few times before going hunting and that is why a 200 yard shot seems far--then there are those that can and do shoot pretty much 12 months out of the year--either targets, varmints, whatever...

Not trying to dismiss anything that has been said or offend anyone.. probably have done enough of that on this site as it is ......however I do NOT consider a 2 or 300 yard shot to be too far--and YES, I take them at will when the opportunity presents itself--also shoot prairie dogs 10 months out of the year at ranges of 150 to 400 yards not being unusual..I am not saying that as a braging statement but merely stating that we (my friends and I) shoot alot and therfore do not feel these are extreme..

Realizing most people do not have those same opportunities or desires,, they should NOT shoot at longer ranges and yes, to them--a 200 yard shot can be considered long.

YOU are how you practice...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: Ripp]
      #89403 - 21/11/07 06:28 AM

No matter how much one practices, and no matter how good the shot, long range shooting involves a substantial amount of luck. By that I mean, there are random variables over which we have no control whatsoever. At shorter ranges the random fluctuations are small enough that they will not cause a well-aimed shot to become a wounding shot. But the magnitudes of random variables increase with range (although the average remains zero); at longer range an otherwise good shot can easily become a gut shot, and there is nothing the shooter can do about it. If shooting inanimate targets bad luck causes no hardship. If shooting animals it causes great suffering. We are not required to harvest an animal. Passing up long shots is good sportsmanship, and is respectful of the animals we hunt.

Take care, Tom

Ripp
.577 member

Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: Tatume]
      #89407 - 21/11/07 07:26 AM

Quote:

No matter how much one practices, and no matter how good the shot, long range shooting involves a substantial amount of luck. By that I mean, there are random variables over which we have no control whatsoever. At shorter ranges the random fluctuations are small enough that they will not cause a well-aimed shot to become a wounding shot. But the magnitudes of random variables increase with range (although the average remains zero); at longer range an otherwise good shot can easily become a gut shot, and there is nothing the shooter can do about it. If shooting inanimate targets bad luck causes no hardship. If shooting animals it causes great suffering. We are not required to harvest an animal. Passing up long shots is good sportsmanship, and is respectful of the animals we hunt.

Take care, Tom

TOM,

I agree with most of what you said--in regards to respect for animals, etc..however the luck in my opinion is inaccurate..no pun intended..

If luck is involved with consistently shooting prairie dogs at 150 to 400 yards then I need to go to Vegas as I have one hell of a lucky streak going--If you have not shot a lot at longer ranges I can understand your statement--HOWEVER, if someone is consistently shooting groups at 2,3,or 400 yards under a 1 1/2" group--I would suspect luck would not be as much of a factor as skill..

It's luck like the idiot that shot at an elk at 800 yards or whatever it was and closed his eyes at the shot--and still hit it--the person should not be allowed to use a firearm..period.

Ripp

--------------------

Tatume
.400 member

#89410 - 21/11/07 08:22 AM

Quote:

If luck is involved with consistently shooting prairie dogs at 150 to 400 yards then I need to go to Vegas as I have one hell of a lucky streak going--If you have not shot a lot at longer ranges I can understand your statement--HOWEVER, if someone is consistently shooting groups at 2,3,or 400 yards under a 1 1/2" group--I would suspect luck would not be as much of a factor as skill...

I have been shooting at ranges out to 1000 yards for many years. No amount of skill will stop the wind, and no person can know when the wind will blow, or the direction, or the magnitude, or for that matter where (for the wind blows differently at the place from which the shot was fired, the intermediate ranges, and the target). Skill cannot predict when an animal will move, and the time to impact of a high velocity bullet at long range is considerable. On 1000 yard shots I can raise my head and watch the bullet arc to the target (really quite interesting in itself, as the twisted path tells a lot about the intermediate wind). I know plenty of prairie dog shooters, and I know they kill a large percentage of the animals at which they fire. It's the few they wound that keeps me from joinng them. I do not condem the practice of others, but only explain my reasons for not participating.

Ripp
.577 member

#89413 - 21/11/07 08:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

]

I have been shooting at ranges out to 1000 yards for many years. No amount of skill will stop the wind, and no person can know when the wind will blow, or the direction, or the magnitude, or for that matter where (for the wind blows differently at the place from which the shot was fired, the intermediate ranges, and the target). Skill cannot predict when an animal will move, and the time to impact of a high velocity bullet at long range is considerable. On 1000 yard shots I can raise my head and watch the bullet arc to the target (really quite interesting in itself, as the twisted path tells a lot about the intermediate wind). I know plenty of prairie dog shooters, and I know they kill a large percentage of the animals at which they fire. It's the few they wound that keeps me from joinng them. I do not condem the practice of others, but only explain my reasons for not joining them.

**Well I guess this is an item we are NOT going to agree on .. but that is the beauty of this--you can do what you feel comfortable with and I will as well..

Per the earlier comments as to skill versus luck and wind, etc.. some common sense would apply here.. somthing that seems to be in short supply these days.. but YES, you would not attempt to shoot long yardages in severe winds--

Interesting in that you mention 1000 yard matches, as we are just getting a 1000 yard range set up about an hour from my home--plan to use the 6.5/284 for starters--looking forward to the fun..

As to prairie dogs--I am going to keep shooting..

Ripp

--------------------

Shanster
.275 member

Reged: 02/10/06
Loc: Seattle WA
      #89414 - 21/11/07 08:40 AM

Actually I shoot year round. Before the hunt I act like it is a test and try to study really hard before it so that It is fresh in my mind. I only use the gun or guns considered for the trip and famalarise myself with them. Sleep with them love them( DAM DID I SAY THAT OUT LOUD)When at the range I shoot from diferent positions and offhand.

Tatume
.400 member

#89415 - 21/11/07 08:45 AM

It doesn't take severe wind. A 180 gr 30 cal bullet started at 3000 fps is moved almost nine inches at 300 yards by a 10 mph wind. At 500 yards it is displaced almost 26 inches.

I don't claim you should stop shooting prairie dogs. By all means continue, the farmers and ranchers couldn't stay in business without you. But watch the grass and mirage everywhere, for it will tell you much.

Take care, Tom

Ripp
.577 member

#89416 - 21/11/07 08:56 AM

As I stated--common sense would apply--I too have been shooting at long ranges for 30 plus years-and am quit familiar with ballistics, thank you..which is why I feel perfectly capable to taking prairie-dogs up to and beyond 400 yards--might have to walk a few into them--but that is part of the fun..

Ripp

--------------------

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #89422 - 21/11/07 10:33 AM

Ripp

Please do not think that anything I wrote was a criticism of long range shooting per se.
I have been known to shoot rabbits at 300 with a 6mm BR for shits and giggles as well. The thread however was talking about long range big game.
I think that you have in fact summed it up when you said that after 30+ years of practice, you might have to "walk a few into them". One cannot do that on big game, as on a gopher you will kill or miss by 12". On big game you will kill or wound by the same margin.
Therein lies the difference I think.

Regards

Ripp
.577 member

Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: Bramble]
      #89430 - 21/11/07 12:42 PM

Agree with you totally--and yes if it is a big game animal with poor circumstances..I will NOT take the shot--which is what a meant with the "common sense" statement--

We as shooters need to police ourselves--and see that our sport is everything it can be and more.. There are many shooters our there I am sure much more accurate than I will ever be--but I can seriously say, given proper conditions, I do not consider the shots I mentioned to be that difficult..if others do then they should not attempt them--we each have to be within our own comfort zone..

Take care

Ripp

--------------------

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #89437 - 21/11/07 02:18 PM

I feel I can do well in perfect conditions but I have been very disappointed when I have tried to dope the wind at paper targets from 300 out.Doping the wind is an art.

Wind in deep depressions/valleys is a killer.It can swirl in one direction in front of you and the opposite close to the target. I had one paper target where the wind was blowing UP next to the target.Better to shoot on the side of the hill approximately in the middle.Even then you may be out of luck because of a deader space of air between you and the hill.

Sometimes you have to have a spotter to compensate when shooting paper.And no that doesn't work with big game. They don't wait around.

Moral of the story--I don't shoot past 250 with any kind of a 10mph+ steady wind blowing.Why? I tend to get PO'd with the poor results.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #89457 - 21/11/07 11:07 PM

Quote:

Moral of the story--I don't shoot past 250 with any kind of a 10mph+ steady wind blowing.Why? I tend to get PO'd with the poor results.

**And that merely states what I suggested--if one is comfortable with a 250 max shot then that is what they should stick with--however each and every one of us is unique and have talents and abilites or varying range--what may be a max for one certainly is not for the other..

While I agree, as distance increases -the shot becomes more critical--and one needs to take a bit more care.. but I am not buying into the argument what one can not make shot consistantly at longer ranges.. again each of us has a limit..we just need to know what that limit is..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (19/01/18 06:30 AM)

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #89927 - 28/11/07 02:09 AM

Jack O'Connor once stated that kill distances seem to greatly increase "after they've been processed through a typewriter".

I can't help but think he was right.

Guys might buy long-range rifles in long-range chamberings, but that act does not necessarily make them long-range riflemen..........

AD

Ripp
.577 member

Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: allenday]
      #89938 - 28/11/07 03:47 AM

Quote:

Jack O'Connor once stated that kill distances seem to greatly increase "after they've been processed through a typewriter".

I can't help but think he was right.

Guys might buy long-range rifles in long-range chamberings, but that act does not necessarily make them long-range riflemen..........

AD

ALLEN

Agree totally--which I have stated all along-you need to shoot and shoot alot. I find it quite interesting that some that have responded on this topic had stated in previous blogs about making shots anywhere from 250 to 400 plus yards and now suddenly have "Seen the light" and are no longer willing to either take or attempt them.. Well good for you...the phrase "flip-flopper" comes to mind.

I on the other hand, do shoot and shoot alot--not braging --just something I really enjoy doing with my friends...If any of you that think the ability to place tight groups at ranges out to 400 yards is pure luck.. please stop by my town at your convenience--I am more than willing to spend an afternoon with you at our local gun range... maybe I or one of my friends can make you a believer maybe not...but at the very least, when it is all over we could have a beer or two and talk guns..

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8693

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com