Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I have been to the bottom

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
I have been to the bottom
      #89802 - 26/11/07 09:45 PM

Saturday morning I ended up what I was doing for last 3 years – hanging around one of the nastiest corner of my hunting grounds looking for Him.
He was an old chamois goat that eluded me for so many times – I managed to see him 3 times but either it was out of the season or I managed to get just a glimpse of him on departure.
Till this Saturday – I was passing regular chamois pastures – actually I didn’t expect to find him there, but one never knows. There was a small herd of females with kids and a medium aged goat (it is rut time now).

So I went on – approaching His favourite region, when suddenly I have heard something on the left – down the slope. I took a peep over the ridge in the dark pine wood dotted with some rocks. Down – some 60m on a steep slope, behind an old stomp I have noticed chamois hump with tuft stating it is a goat – further more being brownish instead of black indicating it could be an older animal. I waited till he raised his head and I instantly knew - its him – faded whiskers with thick and pitchy hooks – hooo. I shouldered the rifle and waited for him to move out of the stomp so I would get a clear shot. But as he would expect something he just stood still. Minutes dragged into what seemed an eternity. But suddenly a lone swirl of the wind just whispered over my back – sending a clear message to Him. In two jumps he was on the edge looking back at me – fast – cross on his hump and – boom… first thing I have noticed after the shot was a falling branch some 5 meters in front of Him – chamois leaving the scene with stiffen gallop – not the way he was supposed to when reasonable hit with 9,3x62 19g TUG bullet – bad, bad…

At the spot I found way too much of hair and way too little of blood…I knew I was in the poop – just how deep? Time was 9.30 AM – I waited for half an hour – and put my dog on trail. Trail was going directly down the 250m steep slope, cross the water creek and up on to next slope – bad, bad…up for 150 m and over the ridge – dang there he is – ill in bed - looking at me – trailing sling down – step on it - rifle off the back - up the shoulder…baaaah - to late - he is already up and disappearing with long jumps down to canyon - bad, bad…Dog is off – baying on the way – disappearing down, barking is getting quiet till I cant hear anything but roaring water down the canyon – bad, bad…fast descent and up the next slope on the ridge to get better audible point. Slope is steep – breath taking – reaching the top – finally.

Oh and behold there I can hear an echo of low baying – she is there with Him – but down – way down – oh dear – bad, bad… Down the slope we go – again, across the creek – no way to follow the water it is obscured with fallen trees – up the next slope, not too high there is a rocky wall – just beneath – clayey, slippery – careful…no go – down some – here is the passage over the ridge – down, up…and down again – for the last time – there she is – baying at the waterfall...

But where is He? Easy now – I don’t want to flush Him now – what is that black blur beneath the waterfall – rifle shouldered peeking over cross – yes it is hairy – its him – on the shoulder – boom – he falls into pool…

It is over…after 1.5 hours…

Well not quite – there is a song ringing in my ears – it is by Yazz:

The only way is up…

Oh dear…

“Now we may not know, huh,
where our next meal is coming from,
but with you by my side
I’ll face what is to come

The only way is up…bad, bad…

To cut it short – if you have read “The old man and the sea” – well that’s the way it was…4 hours later I was out.

Was at the bottom - but in fact it was a peak…

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Michael
.275 member

Reged: 28/07/05
Loc: Darwin, Northern Territory
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: 93mouse]
      #89803 - 26/11/07 10:25 PM

Mgnificent story and beautiful pictures you truly hunt in God's own garden.

I look forward to your posts as they are not only informative but a window into a hunter's world that we never get to look at.

Thank you once again.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: Michael]
      #89804 - 26/11/07 10:39 PM

Absolutely superb - thank you, that is a wonderful story backed up by great photos.

Thanks

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #89806 - 27/11/07 12:26 AM

Really very interesting and your style of narration is unique and very life like.Well done.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #89814 - 27/11/07 01:31 AM

OOOOH 93!!!

What a great hunt!

You not only design a great building, you build a great story!!

I swear this ground could be ours...but in October...

Your country looks like it is about a month behind us in weather, so the questions come...

What elevation are you?

What precipitation per year?

Do you get much snow? We are in blowing snow now.

If I blindfolded you and dropped you in the hole off Gold Ridge "up the Joe" I think you'd feel you were home, except where are the chamois???

AGAIN, CONGRATULATIONS!

GREAT PIX, GREAT STORY, GREAT HUNT!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: 9.3x57]
      #89817 - 27/11/07 02:40 AM

A great story with great pictures 93mouse! Very impressive terrain, dog and game!

Erik

DDouble
.300 member

Reged: 17/02/06
Loc: Brazil
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: EricD]
      #89818 - 27/11/07 02:49 AM

Cheers to you and your hunting buddy for hanging tough on the tracks.

Dante

--------------------
Ddouble

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: DDouble]
      #89832 - 27/11/07 06:23 AM

Thank you guys - there was just one thing missing to make a picture perfect and that is 15 cm of fresh dry snow (would cost me even more). As I write this I still have wooden legs like Pinochio for sake - cramps in the legs were realy getting me at last climb. There was a section where I had to unload the rucksack - tied it to a trailing sling and pull it up. Its funny how most simple barriers like 50 cm step, a tiny fallen tree or a branch cought up on you drive you to despair - bit by bit .

It is a realy remote area (I bet if there are fairies and dwarfs livin in our places they must be there ). Sometimes you can struck upon an old red stag, big bear or a tusker boar there - however forget about getting the meat out. Hunting is hard - wind is very unpredictable and once you rouse the game they just clear the area. Many times there are none to be seen and you are chasing ghosts, while at times you strike big time. No paths, no GSM signal for a cell phone with couple of bear dens there, so you need to watch out. Usually you report to one of the friends before you enter those quarters - broken leg ect. would be a considerable problem.

Guys this one realy count sky high for me - I was living with that chamois for 3 years and it was a goal that was ever present in the back of my mind , so now I am realy facing an aching void...

Oh - there is more to it that may make it a bit easier to overcome - He had an old injury on his right hind leg - old shot - and began to grow grey cataract on his left eye.

Due to all this he was extremely careful and with all above said held at least 3 aces all the time.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #89833 - 27/11/07 06:48 AM

93mouse

Sounds like you need to do a good long warm up and get out for a small walk and a very little climb to get rid of the stiffness in the legs. About the right length of time since Saturday.

Top stuff and well done again.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: 500Nitro]
      #89848 - 27/11/07 11:23 AM

93mouse
That was a wonderful story & a great hunt for a worthy old trophy. We have Chamois & the snow in New Zealand. The terrain could be very steep & dangerous. We just have different trees & bushes. I hope to hunt them along with the Himalayan Tahr (a mountain goat).

Congratulations

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: Nakihunter]
      #89991 - 28/11/07 07:46 PM

Great modernity - just scetched the goings on Google earth - red is a trail and green the way out (slopes are much steeper in reality):

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #89998 - 28/11/07 09:19 PM

Wonderful story, 93mouse.
Hunting a worthy adversary on foot is tremendously satisfying, although in the case of your chamois it was not all good, good.....
So pleased your persistence won out in the end.
Congratulations!

Love your dog: his ears are nearly longer than his legs!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #90007 - 29/11/07 01:11 AM

Finally got the photos to load up on my PC with its slow connection!

Congratulations on your fine chamois trophy. And hard earned too.

Your hound is a great hunting companion and no doubt a great element in your success.

As for fairies and dwarves living in the depths of the valleys, probably an odd goblin hiding behind the waterfall too!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

9.3x57
.450 member

#90010 - 29/11/07 01:31 AM

Thanks for posting the Googlearth.

Wow. I wondered.

Our countries look like cousins...

I am only 2 points latitude farther north than you {47N vs your 45N} and elevation here runs 2000 to 5000+ feet in the area {2700 here at the house}, hovering right around the similar 2000 as the Googlearth you posted. Looks like you go down from 2000 {?} where we go up, and that might help explain the 8 inches of snow outside my window here right now.

We get about 82cm precipitation per year here, most falling as fall and spring rains and winter snow. Very dry summers. What is yours?

No cell phones and only dialup internet here also {takes six or seven tries just to get this post to download! }. Walking out my front door you can go 150 miles and not find a house, paved road or building.

Having packed elk and bear out of those holes, when I say again congratulations, I mean it. Congratulations!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #90022 - 29/11/07 04:44 AM

Naki,

Is that an in-line muzzle loader you're using? If so, what a way to handicap yourself!

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #90023 - 29/11/07 04:46 AM

93 mouse,

What a marvellous command of the English language. I am truly impressed.

I have been unable to decide what breed your hunting companion might be. Too long legged for a dachshund, so .....? Perhaps a Beyerischer Gebirgs-Schweisshund?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: xausa]
      #90029 - 29/11/07 06:09 AM

Quote:

Perhaps a Beyerischer Gebirgs-Schweisshund?

Definitely looks like one to me - Bavarian Mountain Hound. Very popular in Europe for tracking game and becoming more common in the UK as well.

93mouse - Great pictures and great story. Thanks

Paatti
.333 member

Reged: 18/01/07
Loc: Finland
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #90038 - 29/11/07 06:55 AM

I'm not a professional but for me it looks Bayerischer gebirds schweisshund but it also could be hannoverscher schweisshund. Both are rare breeds here in Finnland.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: Paatti]
      #90039 - 29/11/07 07:13 AM

I'd call it a darn good dog!

--------------------

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: 9.3x57]
      #90042 - 29/11/07 07:43 AM

93mouse

damn good story, thanks a lot

i love your pictures it makes the story complete and it really comes alive.

regards peter

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #90067 - 29/11/07 02:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps a Beyerischer Gebirgs-Schweisshund?

Definitely looks like one to me - Bavarian Mountain Hound. Very popular in Europe for tracking game and becoming more common in the UK as well.

Gentlemen,

Do a search on "93Mouse's" posts. He has posted some previous threads with great photos of his dog and tracking game. Very interesting. He has had some great hounds.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: NitroX]
      #90072 - 29/11/07 02:51 PM

xausa

Those pictures are of a guide with a client. I am lot better looking than that! You can see me with the ugly bear!

Cheers
Ashok

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

93mouse
.375 member

#90077 - 29/11/07 06:25 PM

Guys it is a 6 years old BGS bitch named Bora - just a note - in case of tracking chamois its esential that dog isn't "too sharp" so to say - it shouldn't try to bring down the wounded animal because on a terrain like this it may prove fatal - both chamois and dog may fall over the cliff...there was a sort of contact here - bitch has an app. 1 inch wound from a chamois hook on her neck:

and chamois had an fang mark right under his right eye:

Fortunately all turned out well.

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
      #90098 - 30/11/07 02:12 AM

93mouse, quite an impressive head for a goat. How old was she ?

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: André]
      #90174 - 30/11/07 06:30 PM

Andre it is a boy - 12+ (in his 13 th year)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8955

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com