Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: WHO uses BUCKSHOT??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
WHO uses BUCKSHOT??
      #89747 - 26/11/07 02:08 AM

Just curious.

Years ago I did extensive pattern testing of a fairly large number of buckshot loads and had the results published in Michigan Outdoors and Nyala News {publication of Kawazulu Natal Hunters & Conservation Assoc}. I was unimpressed overall.

I have only used buckshot on monkey in Africa and coyotes here in the USA. It does fine at close range but I have never shot deer or other game with it.

On the monks I used, IIRC {it's been 27 years...} Belgian SSSSG loaded in aluminum cases. Here in the USA I've used Remington and Winchester 3" Magnum, #4 Buck on the yotes. Out to 40 yards it has been effective, but penetration is weak and patterns completely evaporate past about that range and some yotes have required a pistol shot to finish them.

With all the nations represented here, I'm curious as to who uses buckshot and why {gun won't shoot slugs POA, etc}, what loads, in what guns, on what game and what performance?

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: WHO uses BUCKSHOT?? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #89750 - 26/11/07 03:10 AM

Good Morning,
Here in Virginia some counties require buckshot for deer. Fortunately, all of our counties allow muzzleloading rifles throughout the season, but buckshot is still prevalent because the hunt clubs usually require it.

Just Wednesday I had several guests on my boat for a fishing trip, and the subject of buckshot came up! One fellow claims he can consistently kill deer at 100 yards with #4 buckshot. In the interest of politeness, I let the conversation die.

It has been my experience that buckshot wounds as often as it kills. In most cases this is probably because the hunter tried to reach beyond its limits (as my guest apparently does). Every year I see deer that died of multiple gunshot wounds, probably buckshot. Vultures and eagles consume them, but still (in my opinion), the suffering is unacceptable in the name of "sport."

Buckshot is appropriate to self-defense and war. If used within its limits (35 yards?) it is effective on game.

Take care, Tom

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: WHO uses BUCKSHOT?? [Re: Tatume]
      #89754 - 26/11/07 05:22 AM

cant and wont.

i cant because it is not legal to use buckshot in denmark, max shot size is 4 mm.

i wont because either im close enough to use my shotgun as it was meant to be used(close range) or i grab a rifle.

just my two eurocents

peter

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #89807 - 27/11/07 12:37 AM

I use buckshot(Remington)on wild boar in dense areas at night hunting.Distance is about 10/15 yards from an open jeep.Really drops the boar in its tracks.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: WHO uses BUCKSHOT?? [Re: iqbal]
      #89808 - 27/11/07 12:57 AM

I use 00 Buck which is 9 pellets per cartridge.
Works fine on wild dogs,pigs,emu and goats ect as long as they are within range which at the outside limit would be 45 yards.

Back in the 60's in south east asia 00buck was used in the ever reliable Remington 870.
They were a very deadly combination.

Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

9.3x57
.450 member

#89809 - 27/11/07 12:57 AM

Quote:

I use buckshot(Remington)on wild boar in dense areas at night hunting.Distance is about 10/15 yards from an open jeep.Really drops the boar in its tracks.

Thanks Iqbal!

How about some details:

What load, buckshot size, 2 3/4" or 3" shell length?

What gun and choke?

Any info will be appreciated!

{By the way, a friend, many years ago in then-Zaire, shot for meat like you say...from the Land Rover at night, various "buck" using various loads down to SSSSG size buck. Headshooting, he had no problem killing enough to fill the bed of the L-R in a night's jaunt.}

Alan, what choke do you use in your gun...what gun?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (27/11/07 01:00 AM)

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
      #89880 - 27/11/07 03:24 PM

I don't use it for serious purposes, but I do keep a box on hand(as well as a couple more to see what they perform like in whatever shotgun they're feeding)-lately my Remington 870 and Spartan semiauto, both 00 in a 3 1/2 inch load. A few years ago, a video store in the town I was then living in was robbed, perp ended up shooting a deputy one town away(deputy survived but has 115 grains of lead in his shoulder to this day) and doubled back on foot back to our town, where he was caught the next day. Later we found signs that he spent some time in our backyard, possibly overnight in the garage. After that I like to have something heavy on-hand even if I don't actually keep anything loaded.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #89907 - 28/11/07 12:11 AM

Shell size is 2 3/4inches.No.00 i.e.one with nine pellets.Full choke in a Beretta 303 semi auto.Shoot the boar at any spot and it drops,unless you hit it on the legs in which case it will run a bit but ultimatrly stop.However we only shoot wild boar in this fashion i.e.at night from a jeep,no other animal.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #89916 - 28/11/07 01:30 AM

A couple of us used 00 Buckshot (SG) on a pig-culling trip a couple of months ago. I am a convert.

I had a few bad experiences with buckshot failing to stop large boars in the past, but most shots during the cull resulted in one-shot kills. A couple of large boars I killed were noteworthy: the first caught the pattern of SGs on the shoulder at about 25 yds on the trot, all nine pellets hit, one was a pass-through! Another large boar was hit in the head as he bolted past me at full gallop, kicked out of a patch of bushes by my hunting mate. The distance was maybe 20 yds. Feel free to count the pellet strikes yourself!

My shots were made with Winchester 2 3/4 inch standard SG Buckshot (in the old red-and-yellow box), but one of the other hunters on the cull preferred the 'high-velocity' stuff in the silver box.

The critical element for success with buckshot is limiting the distance to maybe 40yds IMHO, but pattern your gun to determine at what distance the spread exceeds perhaps 45cm, and that should be your maximum range. More choke does not necessarily mean tighter patterns with buckshot.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: WHO uses BUCKSHOT?? [Re: Marrakai]
      #89948 - 28/11/07 06:03 AM

I've never had any trust in buckshot except for gaurd duty.
: My cousin lives back East in Ontario and tried 00 buck for whitetail deer - once. He failed to kill his buck at a paced off 30 yards. The deer was never recovered. He switched to slugs and never fails to fill his tag now. Past 10 yards, buckshot has proven fairly ineffective on black bears, and are not at all recommended on griz unless the muzzle blast singes fur. 1-1/ ounce slugs, and preferrably solid round balls do much better on both.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: WHO uses BUCKSHOT?? [Re: Marrakai]
      #89964 - 28/11/07 12:32 PM

Quote:

pattern your gun to determine at what distance the spread exceeds perhaps 45cm, and that should be your maximum range. More choke does not necessarily mean tighter patterns with buckshot.

From my patterning tests using two different guns and hundreds of rounds of buckshot tested, I agree with this.

I was not impressed with the results in general beyond 25 yards, but the concept here is spot on. Each gun IS a law unto itself, with individual barrels seemingly effecting shot patterns as much as choke.

I haven't shot any deer or boar with buck, but I know from pattern testing and from shooting coyotes that the best practice is to try the gun and several different loads as there may be one load that performs much better than others, and correspondingly a fellow may pick a loser if he just grabs one and goes hunting.

--------------------

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #90004 - 29/11/07 12:36 AM

Quote:

Each gun IS a law unto itself, with individual barrels seemingly effecting shot patterns as much as choke.

In my experience, hard buckshot, especially copper plated shot, packed in buffering material usually shoots the best patterns. The ordinary soft shot are so beat up by the time they exit the barrel that they fly more randomly. Also, on the rare occasions when I must use buckshot, I like 000 shot. Compared to the 0.33" 00 shot weighing about 54 gr, 000 is .36" diameter and weighs about 68 gr per pellet. It may not sound like much, but that is almost 20% in frontal area and 25% increase in mass. There are fewer of them, but I believe (without conclusive supporting evidence) that they are more effective.

Take care, Tom

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: WHO uses BUCKSHOT?? [Re: Tatume]
      #90006 - 29/11/07 12:54 AM

Quote:

In my experience, hard buckshot, especially copper plated shot, packed in buffering material usually shoots the best patterns.
Take care, Tom

If I had to close my eyes and grab a box of buckshot and go hunting {which I don't do! } I would probably lean the direction of plated, buffered shot also. Having said that, it is not always the case that non-buffered, unplated shot performas less well. In fact, I found the opposite to be the case with a load or two when I shot my test. I don't have a working scanner anymore or I'd scan and post the findings. The best thing is to select several loads and pattern test the shot before using it. Just like different loads produce different levels of accuracy in rifles {and print different POI} so too do different loads pattern better or worse in different shotguns.

LG or 000 buckshot pellets do in fact often penetrate better than anything else and this can be tested in a variety of media. And I have found some very decent performance of even the 8 pellet load for patterning over the years. Doesn't extend the range, but does sometimes pattern as well as others and with the added penetration might be the answer for some guns that shoot it well.

By the way, Tatume, I have met your "100 Yard Buckshot Shooter" several times over the years. Interesting fellow. I think his brother is "700 Yard Deer Shooter"...

--------------------

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
      #90453 - 04/12/07 03:13 AM

Lots of opinions here so i may as well throw mine in too...

I come from a family of very serious hunters who hunted for food and sometimes it ment deer would be the only meat we would have... I've seen buck shot work many times, but if you just go out and buy some, you may not have good results...

I had an uncle who used nothing but buckshot, and i know for a fact he harvested over 100 deer with it and had no problem taking shots up to 80 yards with it. Over the years he lost very few deer using buckshot, but on longer shots he would have to track them down to find them dead...

Dad always said the secret to using buckshot was to make sure you aimed at the deer "where the neck meets the body"... This would put most of the pellets into the head, neck and lungs...

Both my dad and my uncle took great pains to pattern there shotguns with every brand of buckshot they could get there hands on, and would only use a shotgun that patterned it well... They then bought those shells and used them only in that shotgun...

Once Winchester came out with their buffered buckshot, the patterns improved quite a bit, and it became the shell to use...

I'm not much of a buckshot user, (although my girl friend shot a big doe with buckshot out of her 870 a couple weeks ago) but i know from watching my dad and uncle that it really does work, if you take the time to sort it all out, and use it right...

DM

Yogi000
.333 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: New York, USA
Re: WHO uses BUCKSHOT?? [Re: DM]
      #90820 - 07/12/07 06:40 AM

I bought a double barrel 410 for my sister and cut it down to 18 and 1/2 inches. I put two 3 inch magum 000 BUCK in the chambers. Five 36 caliber pellets per barrel. So she gets a spray of TEN 36 caliber round balls flying out at 1200 fps in front of her with two quick pulls of the trigger (single select trigger).

Why?

Because she has mountain lion problems on her Alpaca Farm and she is small and cannot handle a bigger gun plus the 000 do not kick as much as slugs, yet the 000 are nearly as big as a 410 slug, and you have alot more of them.

I patterned the gun with these and it is a nice 8 inch circle with both barrels at 30 feet which is about what she would need the gun for.

9.3x57
.450 member

#90832 - 07/12/07 01:17 PM

Folks, an interesting and informative little experiment is to take your favorite smoothbore out to your favorite shooting spot, hang up a piece of unfolded newspaper and in the middle tape on a piece of typing paper {about the kill zone of a deer}.

Now pace off 80 strides and have a whack at it with any buckshot load you want out of a 12 bore.

After the smoke clears, count the holes in it.

Yogi: I've played around with that .410 buck, too. I've thought about it for lion in my barn, as we've had them up close and I've always wondered about one taking up residence as we have had bobcat in the garage. I need to test them in my jugs and boards first though, as I have my doubts.

In the meantime, I guess I'll stick with my SAR2 or my .357 SIG for checks of what makes the dogs growl in the night...

--------------------

DM
.300 member

#91011 - 09/12/07 07:03 AM

Quote:

Folks, an interesting and informative little experiment is to take your favorite smoothbore out to your favorite shooting spot, hang up a piece of unfolded newspaper and in the middle tape on a piece of typing paper {about the kill zone of a deer}.

Now pace off 80 strides and have a whack at it with any buckshot load you want out of a 12 bore.

After the smoke clears, count the holes in it.

I agree 100%.... You "must" pattern your shotgun with the buckshot your going to use. If it doesn't put the buckshot in the kill zone at the range your patterning it, your too far away!

DM

Yogi000
.333 member

#91203 - 11/12/07 05:15 AM

The magnum 410 000 buck (approx 36 CALIBER) have a muzzle velocity of about 1150 fps... that is hotter or as hot as many handgun loads. Sure, some handgun loads are hotter but the 1150-1200 fps coming from a 410 double barrel shotgun is formidible and potentially very deadly.

And, yes as aptly noted, you've got to pattern your gun BEFORE you shoot it at any animal, especially one that has the propensity to administer cosmetic surgery upon your being.

Generally speaking 20-40 paces is the maximum distance I would shoot a big cat, like a mountain lion, with any buckshot. Slugs would be my recommendation for the 30 to 50 paces shots at a big cat, or at deer. I guess I would not use buckshot for deer.

Most buckshot even in 12 gauge 3 inch magnum loads are under 1300 fps. That is still hotter than most handgun ammo.

When I hunt in country where there are cats or bear, and when it gets too dark to see well, but I still have to walk thriugh the woods to get back, I usually pull the slugs out of my double and put two 000 buck shells in the tubes. Obviously in the semi darkness or darkness, no shot would be more than 30 paces and most likely more like CLOSE range. And with the inability to even see my sights the advantage of a pattern of 8 or 9 000 buck PER barrel is clearly obvious. Point and click! Boom. repeat. Boom.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: WHO uses BUCKSHOT?? [Re: Yogi000]
      #91238 - 11/12/07 01:10 PM

Quote:

The magnum 410 000 buck (approx 36 CALIBER) have a muzzle velocity of about 1150 fps... that is hotter or as hot as many handgun loads. Sure, some handgun loads are hotter but the 1150-1200 fps coming from a 410 double barrel shotgun is formidible and potentially very deadly.

OK, this one has my curiousity...

I have to find some of the .410 000 {tough to find locally} and test it in my boards and jugs. The sectional density of a .36 cal pellet ain't much and I personally wouldn't shoot a cougar at anything past 25 yards with "buckshit" and frankly, I don't know anybody locally that would even shoot them at all with buckshot, but part of that is a general disdain for buckshot here in Idaho.

I live in cougar country and am out at night on the ranch for various reasons and have just about zero concern for them. But I suppose there are some bad ones. A friend of mine shot one in the chest with his .357 about 3 years ago. He's a realtor and was looking over some land in deep snow and one leapt off a cutbank behind just him and when he turned it was squared off facing him. What were its intentions? I have no idea. I had one jump off a rock ledge about 15 yards in front of me a few years ago while I was grouse hunting and it hit the ground running and kept going fast. Didn't want any part of me. What, does he smell better than me?

Anyway, a few rounds of that piddly .410 load sent thru the test media might be informative!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#91251 - 11/12/07 02:41 PM

Years ago, when I trained my riot squad and perimeter security squad, we found the plated 00 buffered buck did well on the silhouette B-27 targets we used and therein is the only 'humane' use for them. - in my most humble opinion, of course. I would never trust them to a big game animal. Point blank they'll work well on black bears - but only where the pattern is about 3" to 4" in diameter at most and the side of the head is the target. They fail generally to get into the vitals at 25 yards on bears and on a grizzly with boradside shots, even at somewhat closer ranges. Rangers in Jasper Park found that out and the buckshot hole in the hide for the entire charge was 2" in dimaeter. They wer very close as the bear came down the trail into the tent camp. No pellets of the charge made it past the ribs, into the lung cavity. One ranger, using 1-1/4 ounce Federal Fosters dropped the bear after it stood up in front of them and growled. His slug went through the sternum, lungs and shattered the spine. Personally, I'd have preferred a single, solid round ball. That one would have exited instead of flattening in the spine. A bit more range or slightly poorer hit and the soft Foster may not have had the 'best' effect. They most likely won't smash a shoulder or have any poop left once doing that - a 12 bore ball, that will exit an Indian Elephant's head on a broadside shot most certainly will.

--------------------
Daryl

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: WHO uses BUCKSHOT?? [Re: DarylS]
      #91270 - 11/12/07 08:39 PM

My interest in this subject is purely out of nostalgia & accademic curiosity. You guys are a lot more experienced with hunting & shooting than I will ever be - I fired my fist center fire rifle at the age of 37.....& before that I shot one Muntjack with an Eley LG. The rest were shot with No 1 & No 2 shot - sometimes on the run, in close spaced tea bushes on the plantation which I managed in the early 1980's.

I grew up in India where in the last 40 years almost 99%(?) of all hunting has been done with shotguns (including muzzle loading shot guns used by local villagers). Eley LGs (000 buck) & SGs (00 buck) were the most commonly used big game loads. Some round ball & Brenneke slugs were used. Conical ball & Lethal Ball were less commonly used in the 1950's & before. American ammo was less common. I have been on beat shoots in the 1970s where chittal deer, Sambar deer & wild boar have been shot at up to 50 yards with LGs. I know that my dad used them on all kinds of big game in the 50's. Many, many tigers were shot in India for over 50 years with LGs. Of course we have no idea how many animals were wounded. The older shotgun ammo did not have shot cups but had felt & carboard wads. I once shot a village cow that was suspected of having contracted rabies - I used an LG load by removing No4 shot in a 2.5 inch paper cartridge & replacing with 6 LG pellets & roll crimping it with a hand tool (I still have the tool but have not used it for 20 years). Even at 5 yards - the shot spread 2 inches on the forehead of the cow & the slugs reached the neck / throat as blood hosed out like a fountain from the forehead. The cow was burried in a deep pit as the superstitions about rabies in the villages is a complex issue.

So why do we not get buckshot today that can penetrate & kill large game at 25 yards even with 3" spreads? Is it the softer lead used or the spread is too close & the shots are getting deformed before they hit the animal? If we can "re-discover" big, fat & slow bullets at 2100fps to 2400 fps, then how about re-discovring the old buck shots?

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: WHO uses BUCKSHOT?? [Re: Nakihunter]
      #91284 - 12/12/07 01:00 AM

Naki:

What a great account. That is exactly the stuff I was looking for when I posted the thread.

I too have wondered about an improved loading of 000/LG since stumbling upon some boxes of the stuff many years ago. I found that in a cursory hodgepodge testing it penetrated similarly to 00. We must remember, though, that "penetration" with buckshot is not as repeatable as it is with a rifle bullet. By that I mean that the pellets in a given shot fired do not all penetrate the same. Even in an homogenous medium some pellets penetrate far less than others. I suspect that improved loadings of LG/000 might beat 00 for game shooting.

Anyway, I tested 11 different loads in two different shotguns for the piece I wrote for Nyala News.

I used an 18x18 inch square backer, fired the shots and covered the densest concentration of pellets with an 8.5x11 inch sheet of typing paper. That method was used in order to give every advantage to the buckshot in recognition that guns shoot to different POI and a buckshot gun is best "sighted in" like a rifle. Some guns that shoot a pattern close to the rib will toss buckshot to a different POI. I did not want to skew the results by saying the gun shot poorly if it did not put its pattern right under the bead because naturally, a shooter can hold "Kentucky Windage" or resight his gun to suit his favored buckshot load if he likes. Anyway, the number of hits recorded was the number that fell under the piece of 8.5x11 typing paper, an arbitrary "kill zone" by my definition for testing purposes.

Unfortunately, I only had a small amount of 000 {Federal 2 3/4" 000} available to me so I only shot it in one gun, a Beretta 424 double. It averaged 6 hits from the full choke barrel and 7 hits from the IM bbl at 25 yards. Various 2 3/4" loads from that gun and also a tubed Ithaca 87 produced 4 to 7 hits!!

It struck me at the time that this was darn revealing!

And incidently, the 3" 00 loads produced 7 to 8 hits, barely any improvement over the 2 3/4 inch loads. {However, the 3" 00 loads did place additional pellets into the 18x18 backer, some of which, on a deer, would likely "help out" though they wouldn't necessarily be in the kill zone/vitals.}

Your LG has, in my opinion, great potential.

On another point, we in the "West" think we are such great experimental handloaders. A friend of mine was a missionary in Liberia for years and he reported to me the use of modified shotgun shells, mostly in cheap singleshot shotguns, was routine driven mostly by the variability of what was available on the street so-to-speak. And some of the modifications were quite interesting. Such shells were used on a wide variety of bush meat and other things as well.

Thanks for your input Naki. As 500Nitro would say, "Top Stuff"!

--------------------

Yogi000
.333 member

#91300 - 12/12/07 03:52 AM

Naki--- Great post. And 9threeXfifty I very much appreciated your post as well...

But the thing is---000 just bounce off game, anything shot with a shotgun just bounces off big game, didn't you know that? Only bullets work. Only Magnum bullets actually! The very idea that thousands of animals have been taken in India and elsewhere with shotgun is crazy talk! Shotguns do not work. They are only for little bitty birds............

Of course, I am being facetious... I love shotguns.
The thing is so many 'hunters' brought up on Gun Digest and other shooting mags actually believe the magnum and other high powered bullets are the ONLY way to kill big game. Period.

It is false of course. But our SUV culture also believes a car is no longer suitable for winter driving... an absurdity of course, and I can say that during the snow storm last week I drove past 11 vehicles that had spun off the road and some were laying in fields with their shiny sides down, while I was merrily and confidently driving past all of them in my little car... and indeed everyone of them was an SUV!!!

000 buck shot and yes even smaller like #4 Buck can kill.

Not a 200-300 yard round of course.

000 buck can be a deadly offering. I like the 410 3 inch loads because they pack five pellets in a line and yes they nearly fill up the tube at 36 caliber, ergo, I find the 410 000 buck provides a smaller, tighter pattern compared to the 12 gauge 000.

I have 000 in 410 and 12 gauge on my bedstand because next to the bedstand are the shotguns that accept those shells. Last night I walked out the porch in the pitch blackness to call my house cats in, when in front of me and I would estimate at about 40 yards I heard a very deep growl, snarl... of a large cat.... The hair on the back of my neck stood up... I carried my pump 12 gauge shotgun with slug, 000, slug, 000, the rest of the evening. ...Even though shotguns don't work on big game, can't you read?! bahaha

DarylS
.700 member

#91319 - 12/12/07 08:53 AM

There is large game and there is large game. I would not disrespect a large game animal by shooting at it with a flurry of pellets, hoping that one or two or even three might not only hit in line with the lung cavity somewhere, but penetrate to the vitals at well. Do as you will, but be aware of their failings. Pellets into the guts don't make for a nice butchering job, either.
; Use them for home defense? - I'd think a load of 6"s might be better inside, and reserve the buckshot for outside. I do think they're OK for blowing maggots off the fence - appropriate might be a better word than OK.

--------------------
Daryl

DM
.300 member

#91321 - 12/12/07 09:49 AM

I myself shot a bull moose at 38 loong steps in the ribs with my double 12ga. shotgun with hi-brass #6 shot... He moved about 30 feet, lay down and died right there... When i skinned him out, his lungs were peppered with shot and blood...

Is someone here going to try to tell me that "if" i had been using #4 buckshot, those buckshot would have bounced off that moose??? Maybe that the buckshot would NOT have had enough penetration to kill that moose???

Give me a break!!! A deer at 40 yards hit in the kill zone (lungs/neck/head) with several #4 buckshot, is a dead deer every time!

The key to it working, is like i said before.... Make sure your shotgun patterns with the buckshot your using, and it will work at reasonable ranges on a deer...

Let me ask you this.... 00 buck measures .330"... How many of you would let a guy armed with .338 mag rifle, loaded with a lead round ball at 1,250 fps take a shot at you at 50 yards??? How about 5 guys all shooting at you at the same time at that range???

I believe there's 9 of those pellets in a 12ga. 2-3/4" shell!!!

DM

Edited by DM (12/12/07 09:51 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 20832

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com