Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My 2007 New Hampshire Whitetail buck

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
nhdblfan
.300 member

Reged: 31/08/07
Loc: NH
My 2007 New Hampshire Whitetail buck
      #89596 - 24/11/07 01:14 AM

Not the biggest,another 9 pointer in 2004 @212lbs was,but not bad.
This 9 pointer,176 lbs,18 1/2" spread, came in to a grunt call just a small snow storm was starting.About 50 yards out and broadside,hit him with 180 grains through both lungs.He jumped and ran 3 or 4 bound the way he was headed,the turned and ran back the way he came,lots of crashing and what I thought was big thud.As snow was falling pretty heavy I got right on the track,lost the blood pretty quick due to snow covering it up.Looked for an hour and half and went back to house to get help.A neighbor and I returned and looked for 2 hours with no buck found.I was heartbroken but did not want to give up.A lady friends 16 year old son Greg,with excellent eyesight and enthusiasm came over that night and we returned to the search the next morning.Very slow going with about 12 spots of blood he was able to see on the pines that where almost completely coved on snow.About 200 yards of tedious going and 2 hours later we walked to a small rise in the old clear cut and there he was !!Would have hated to see this one go to the coyotes.
Never give up the search,mark every spot of blood with orange tape to get a direction through the thick overgrown woods and enlist good help are lessons well learned even after over 35 years of hunting.

Edited by NitroX (28/12/07 03:52 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Shanster
.275 member

Reged: 02/10/06
Loc: Seattle WA
Re: My 2007 New Hampshire Whitetail buck [Re: nhdblfan]
      #89602 - 24/11/07 02:54 AM

Nice job. A fresh set of eyes allways helps.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: My 2007 New Hampshire Whitetail buck [Re: Shanster]
      #89605 - 24/11/07 03:13 AM

congratulations nh

a nice buck indeed, a dog is allways good to have when it is search time. in denmark we have a organisation that is nation wide with search dogs and free of charge so that when you make that shot and the critter runs away we call in the dogs.

good hunting
peter

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: My 2007 New Hampshire Whitetail buck [Re: peter]
      #89614 - 24/11/07 05:20 AM

Great job and a nice buck!

We had a long track this year also, 4 hours with a successful result.

Peter, in most US states the use of dogs to hunt or track deer or other big game is illegal.

Some states in the South allow deer hunting with hounds and some states allow various other animals to be hunted {bear, cougar, bobcat, coon, here in Idaho for example}.

Most Northern US states ban the use of dogs. I have read of an organization that is trying to educate several Game Departments about the use of tracking dogs for recovering wounded game {not hunting per se, but tracking after the shot}. We could use some good hundeførere here in Idaho, I promise you!!

Maybe some day...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: My 2007 New Hampshire Whitetail buck [Re: 9.3x57]
      #90020 - 29/11/07 04:25 AM

Nice spread and good mass, any idea how old it was?

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

nhdblfan
.300 member

Reged: 31/08/07
Loc: NH
Re: My 2007 New Hampshire Whitetail buck [Re: AspenHill]
      #90051 - 29/11/07 11:40 AM

Thanks Aspen,
yours is real nice too,those brow tines are super long.
I took it to local feed store to check it and then to my friends shop for the tailgate picture,
http://www.morsesportinggoods.com/07%20DEER%20PICTURES.htm

they where thinking 4 1/2 -5 1/2 but nothing concrete.The back strap steaks where fine,hanging it for that long might have helped.Been grinding sausage and hamburger for two days with runs to the supermarket for pork fat (evidently there are three hunters buying it as fast as he cuts so we have to take turns!)and wraping paper.
Can't wait till next year and to do it again.
best,
Dave

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1671

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com