Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: light Surface rust on base of factory loads

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Bill2584
.224 member

Reged: 25/07/05
Loc: NSW,Australia,Yass
light Surface rust on base of factory loads
      #89580 - 23/11/07 05:58 PM

I have stored some factory loads but some packets are starting to show signs of rust around the base of the load not bad but will be if not treated i have mositure absorbing packets in the cabinet so i am trying. don't live in a humid area or anything like that. Moisture is not really a huge problem as the drought as keep it pretty dry. The small rust spots were present when the ammo was bought. Any suggestions or just try and use the cartriages before they become unsafe.

Cheers Will.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: light Surface rust on base of factory loads [Re: Bill2584]
      #89582 - 23/11/07 07:13 PM

This is an iteresting debate. I find that using silica gel packs or similar moisture absorbing material INSIDE a pack is quite risky. Even inside the cabinet could be an issue - depends on the size of the cabinet. It can actually attract moisture into the packet / cabinet. I know that pharmaceuticals do this, but that is done after a lot of research. It could be that the drug itself is agroscopic (attracts moisture). I have found that using such packs inside a binocular case only made it worse & the binos got fogged & ultimately got mouldy inside the lense. Others are likely to have just the opposite experience! It could be something to do with relative humidity in the place where you live.

The oxidisation of brass (similar to rusting) can be prevented. The real issue IMO is the age of the brass & the brittleness of the cases. I have seen old British factory ammo with spot crimps corrode at the spots & develope perforations. Some old ammo of British classics split at the neck when fired for the first time. I presume this is due to change in metal hardness / maleability / ductility over time. Does the oxidisation process reverse the anealing effect on the cases? The old brass had more lead & other impurities in them. Modern brass is a lot purer & made with greater control. The alloys can now be tailored to specific ratios of different metal content.

I would separate the ammo into corroded ones as "keepers" for collection or sentimental reasons & the good ones without corrosion as "shooters". I would use the dehumidifying stuff in the room rather that the cabinet or the packs.

I would really like to know the views of more experienced people on this subject.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: light Surface rust on base of factory loads [Re: Nakihunter]
      #89609 - 24/11/07 03:55 AM

Brush the effected areas with 4-ought wool, wipe off with a dry cloth and keep an eye on them every month or two. Don't spray them with WD 40 or other lube/moisture displacer as that can get past the primer in some instances.
; Old brass, especially those with murcurical primers (very old brass) becomes brittle and sometimes splits when fired.
; It is best not to fire corrosive (murcurical) primed ammo as the bore must be cleaned with water or water soluable oil to break down the salts left. This brass cannot be re-loaded as the murcurical priming's fouling inside the brass, as little as it is, still degrades the brass making it even more brittle and dangerous to use. I suppose you could wash the brass as if it were used with black powder as that will neutralize the fouling, same as water will in the bore when corrosive priming is used. Best not to fire it, period. With all the brass available today, coupled with form dies for making about anything, one should use modern made brassonly.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Bill2584
.224 member

Reged: 25/07/05
Loc: NSW,Australia,Yass
Re: light Surface rust on base of factory loads [Re: DarylS]
      #89626 - 24/11/07 09:39 AM

Cheers for the insight a light polish with the fine steel wool did the trick i will just keep observing periodicly now.

Thanks Will

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1596

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com