Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: AMAZING SHOT!!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
AMAZING SHOT!!!
      #87425 - 19/10/07 02:27 PM

I have recently returned from a Colorado Elk hunt where I got skunked--very few elk seen and only one taken between 7 hunters.I saw only 4 elk which were shooters and none bigger than that I already have on the wall--oh well--

The big bull elk that was taken was amazing. It was taken at a lasered measured 857 yards down into a canyon!!!!!

Better yet it was taken by a 300 Win mag shooting the "infamous" elk 150 gr hornady's(my perception of a deer round)!! The 62 year old hunter was shooting a Remington bolt to provoke animal movement(yes, bad tactics) and shot into a 25-30 mile crosswind!! He admits to closing his eyes because he doesn't like the guns recoil and shot 10 foot high and lead 10 foot into the crosswind!!

So BANG!! he shoots and two witnesses, AR and DB with binoculars see the big bull stagger and then collapse with its four feet in the air!! An autopsy revealed that the bull was hit in the chest with the heart ruptured causing the animals prompt demise.

I now have seen it all!! A fatal shot at ultra long range in high wind when no shot should have been taken using an inferior bullet by a hunter that can't stand "big hard hitting" guns who closed his eyes at the shot and totaled a big tough 5x5 bull.

Kinda gives credence to some of the wild theories out there for hunting big game!!

AMAZING SHOT to say the least!!!

Happy hunting to all!!

Edited by hoppdoc (19/10/07 07:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: AMAZING SHOT!!! [Re: hoppdoc]
      #87433 - 19/10/07 09:22 PM

Hoppdoc
I think your title should have read "Amazingly stupid shot"--

Very often I get upset by those individuals who are on their self-righteous rants about a gun being not property located in a photo or someones finger nails are not properly clipped--HOWEVER

In this case, if someone did what you described in your memo, someone should have taken the gun and beat that dipshit over the head with it. He closed his eyes at the shot?? Give me a fricken break..there was no skill or ability in that shot--you throw enough shit on the wall some will stick..which is the case in this regard.. There are many individuals that can and do make 1000 yard plus shots in competition, clearly this guy is NOT one of them..

It pisses me off that there are assholes like this out there actually firing a gun at something..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: AMAZING SHOT!!! [Re: Ripp]
      #87434 - 19/10/07 09:45 PM

ripp i second you on that, i got mad when i read the notice and still am, with people like that PETA and the like will get a stronger case by the minute. that old fart shouldent have been there in the first place, being afraid about the recoil of his gun....... shit this shouldent even get out there on the net.

to pissed off to write more

peter

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: AMAZING SHOT!!! [Re: peter]
      #87450 - 20/10/07 05:03 AM

Don't kill the Messenger!!!

Obviously Bad Judgement, Bad decision, and Bad Action by that hunter---

Not anything I would even consider doing or condone-I don't shoot unless conditions render the chances of hitting the target a mortal blow a certainty

Still an amazing result considering the statistical chance that that particular bullet would hit the animal in the heart from that range.Amazing that that bullet would take out the lungs/heart.

I had no control or input over the individual and was 2 ridges over.

Still, rarely amazing results can come from utterly stupid irresponsible actions-- This weird stuff can and will be used by misled "lighter, faster" conventional bullet supporters to promote inferior cartridge combos at distance as acceptable.It takes real world ballistic info to debunk these results and bring reality into focus.

Truth can be stranger than fiction--

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (20/10/07 07:02 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #87464 - 20/10/07 11:38 AM

Co-incidentially I had an internet argument on another site about extreme long range shooting. My argument is it unreasonably increases the risk of wounding and loosing game. You only ever hear of the successes.

Amazing lucky shot, and I hope not a story to be bragged about.

Hell if he has a bad flinch ie close his eyes when shooting, he is lucky not to wound at a 100 metres.

If this dude doesn't like the recoil, use a smaller calibre!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: AMAZING SHOT!!! [Re: NitroX]
      #87470 - 20/10/07 10:23 PM

Wow, the hunter who did that should be banned from the field. Considering what I do for a living, forensics, you would be amazed at how many cases of bad judgement in the field result in a human death, injury or someone's prize livestock.

This guy probably practices sound shots too. I would be very afraid to hunt in his vicinity.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #87473 - 21/10/07 01:49 AM

Thanks for the story. I've got to agree with the other responders here, in that shot should never been taken. I guess it just goes to show that even a blind pig can find an acorn once in a while.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: AMAZING SHOT!!! [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #87512 - 21/10/07 11:25 AM

Additional thoughts--

I have talked with a math oriented friend VM who was intrigued. Given that the fellow closed his eyes and hit the animal perfectly through the heart the odds come out at several million to one for that event to occur--kinda like winning the lottery (irresponsibly).

The ballistics of a 150 gr bullet at that distance are 1062 ft pounds energy,180 inches of drop(15 feet), and lateral movement of 160 inches(13.3 feet) with the wind. A standard hunting rifle shooting 1.5 MOA accuracy would have a circle of probability of 13.5 inches where the bullet could possibly land in an animal with a 24 inch depth chest. No more than 8 inch kill zone is reccomended(lower 1/3 of the chest depth), ie suggesting a distance of no more than 500 yards under perfect conditions.Numerical data but still validation of logic. In other words an absolutely absolutely insane shot to attempt even by a master rifleman.

When marine snipers engage personnel at over a mile distance with a 50 we are talking a human torso heigth much more than the elks 24 inch depth and thus a higher chance of a hit with a spotter and perfect conditions--

Personally I feel that past 450 yds is iffy on game animals even with optimal environmental conditions due to the rapid increase in bullet falling descent with distance + the lateral movement possible. From what I read Boddington agrees.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: AMAZING SHOT!!! [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #87514 - 21/10/07 01:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the story. I've got to agree with the other responders here, in that shot should never been taken. I guess it just goes to show that even a blind pig can find an acorn once in a while.

Hoppdoc

Yes I agree. Thanks for posting the honest story. It was a good example of how some amazing shots can be just luck.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Arctic
.275 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Arctic Canada
      #87516 - 21/10/07 04:17 PM

Similar to a client I had that took a wolf at about 950 yards, running. My jaw dropped as I'd already told him to quit shooting. When asked where he held, he said, " Well, I brought the crosshairs up and raised until it was below the scope"!
Needless to say, it was a well placed gut shot!
~Arctic~

--------------------
"A stranger is a friend we haven't met!"

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
Re: AMAZING SHOT!!! [Re: Arctic]
      #87655 - 24/10/07 01:31 AM

Yeah, I'm writing an article on this very topic. We hear of the successes but most guys tend to ignore the misses cause they are much more common. And of course the wounding that they probably didn't even realize happened. That is the sad part of stories like this. I know a guy who won the lottery but that doesn't mean that I want to waste my money by purchasing tickets. Same thing applies here. Really it is a highly irresponsible shot attempt.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: AMAZING SHOT!!! [Re: Plains99]
      #87667 - 24/10/07 07:47 AM

JD Jones tells a story about hunting a "blue antelope" in the Amazon rain forest. There were a truckload of people, driving around at night shining spotlights into the woods. They spotted a pair of eyes at 200 yards, and Jones decided to shoot. It was a good shot; he killed an indian farmer's cow. That was the last hunting story by JD Jones that I care to read.

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
      #89308 - 20/11/07 03:01 AM

Quote:

A fatal shot at ultra long range in high wind when no shot should have been taken using an inferior bullet

Unfotrunately fools do things like this all the time...

BUT, i have to say, that was the RIGHT bullet for that size animial at THAT RANGE, as it's soft enough to expand at that low of an impact velocity, and help to make a more humane kill...

DM

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #89362 - 20/11/07 03:08 PM

Quote:

Co-incidentially I had an internet argument on another site about extreme long range shooting. My argument is it unreasonably increases the risk of wounding and loosing game. You only ever hear of the successes.

Amazing lucky shot, and I hope not a story to be bragged about.

Hell if he has a bad flinch ie close his eyes when shooting, he is lucky not to wound at a 100 metres.

If this dude doesn't like the recoil, use a smaller calibre!

***It would seem the problem with some individuals is that their chests are too puffed up to admit they can not shoot bigger caliber rifles --so they continue to shoot..missing or unfortunately wounding game--then its the guns fault or the caliber is not big enough so they feel the need to go to an even bigger caliber when just the opposite is true--they should be going smaller..ego's are a mysterious thing..

As it has been said a million times--much more important in where the shot is placed versus the size of the club..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3230

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com