Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Simson 9.3 X 62 - my "new" toy!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Simson 9.3 X 62 - my "new" toy!
      #89105 - 16/11/07 03:36 PM

I got my rifle back from Keith Frazer of Te Puke today. It has been with him since Jan 2006 - 22 months!! I bought the rifle in very rough external condition. The stock had some fire damage though it was not broken or cracked. The outer metal was pitter with a couple of bad long pits. Hew has fixed those. The other pits are visible. The bore was tidy & I could easily see the chamber, neck, throat & lead - indicating that there was no "frosting". I fired 5 or so rounds with open sights. Then I got a semi-inletted English walnut stock from Great American Stock co. Keith has rust blued the rifle (6 passes) & replicated the stock as per original.

Can someone please tell me what kind of rings should go on these bases? I got these bases at the local shop as second hand as I do not need to grind the rear bridge / flange. Any idea what the rifle would be worth now? I wouldn't sell it now....just curious. Hope to use it on Sambar here & one day when I can afford to take it to Africa.

Edited by CptCurl (18/01/10 02:09 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Simson 9.3 X 62 - my "new" toy! [Re: Nakihunter]
      #89107 - 16/11/07 04:02 PM

Lovely Rifle, sir.
I'm not sure what mount bases they are but they could be Australian Hilver's which are very strong but not likely to be quick detachable.
I use German Recknagel QD mounts which are sold in NZ by Klaus Pommer for under $500. Although quite expensive they are good.
Have you got a photo of the front sight bead?
Ozhunter

Edited by ozhunter (16/11/07 04:03 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Simson 9.3 X 62 - my "new" toy! [Re: ozhunter]
      #89135 - 17/11/07 03:18 AM

Seems to me that Tasco used to seel those rings and bases. Now that Bushnel ownes Tasco, they might not be available unless you find a set at a gun show.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Simson 9.3 X 62 - my "new" toy! [Re: DarylS]
      #89145 - 17/11/07 07:01 AM

Hilver Bases.

GSP7
.275 member

Reged: 23/01/06
Loc: Ca./idaho
      #89151 - 17/11/07 07:51 AM

Very nice.

Did your Great Amer. Gunstocks semi inlet start of as their "oberndorf classic" patern and shaped like your old stock?

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #89152 - 17/11/07 09:40 AM

Naki:

What a great game killer that will make. Looks like it was worth the wait!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Simson 9.3 X 62 - my "new" toy! [Re: 9.3x57]
      #89153 - 17/11/07 09:53 AM

Naki

That looks superb. Well sone.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Re: Simson 9.3 X 62 - my "new" toy! [Re: 500Nitro]
      #89158 - 17/11/07 11:03 AM

Thanks guys. Yes the stock from GASC was an oberndorf classic pattern & I chose it because it resembled the original stock. Yes the bases are Hilliver & I have found sources for the rings here. Any idea what the rifle would be worth???

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #89190 - 18/11/07 02:25 AM

Nice rifle Ashok.

Simsons and Emil Kerners come up on sale on Gunbroker for about $ 1200 to 1800 (US) though you could get them cheaper at gun shows if you're lucky.

How does she shoot after the restock work?

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Simson 9.3 X 62 - my "new" toy! [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #89222 - 18/11/07 11:06 AM

A full-length engine-turned rib with maker's banners will always get my attention!

Nice classic, well worth the effort of restocking and refinishing IMO. Congratulations.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

TilleyMan
.333 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Simson 9.3 X 62 - my "new" toy! [Re: Marrakai]
      #89226 - 18/11/07 12:06 PM

Very nicely finished classic rifle!

How did you find dealing with the Great American Stock Co?

I have toyed with ordering a new stock for one of my Brnos but was put off by some negative feedback about long delivery and erratic behaviour by the proprietor...

Nakihunter
.375 member

Re: Simson 9.3 X 62 - my "new" toy! [Re: TilleyMan]
      #89227 - 18/11/07 01:11 PM

Thanks again!

I found GASC good to deal with. I first faxed the order & then spoke to them on the phone & gave my credit card detail. They were fine with me. The quality of the wood is there for all to see. I paid US$175 plus freight. I also bought a full length English walnut semi fancy #5 stock with nose cap, butt pad etc. for my Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1903 / 14 Y Greek military conversion. Everything arrived well packed & correctly documented. Right now GASC are recovering from a fire damage & are not well organised. I am trying to buy one of their bargains - a fantastic exhibition grade Oberndorf classic for just $500 but they can't find it! They have some other cool stocks at a bargain right now.

I find that family / privately owned businesses sometimes have their own idiosyncrasies. The larger companies tend to have regular sales people that are trained to deal with customers. I also found Wenig (www.wenig.com) good with their products but again I have had some communication issues. Fred Wenig is not getting any younger - but their quality & workmanship is real old school classic.

I have not had the chance to shoot the rifle since I go it on Friday (NZ time = Thusday US time). I am awaiting new rings to mount my 1.5-4X Leupold on it. The rear sight adjustable ramp needs a new spring & I forgot to mention that to the smith!

I am loading Nosler 250gr BTs, Barnes 250 gr TSX & Lapua 286gr Megas. I am using AR 2208 (Varget in a different can) & hope to get 2550 fps to 2600 fps with the 250s & around 2400 fps with the 286gr from my 24 inch barrel. Has anyone tried H 4350 or N 160 with this cartridge.

Cheers
Ashok

--------------------

Nakihunter
.375 member

#89264 - 19/11/07 07:59 AM

I took the Simson to the range & tried her out with open sights.

The rifle shoots about a foot high at 100 meters - I need a new fore sight with a higher bead. It still grouped 3 different loads within 4 or 5 inches at 100 yards. Does anyone know of a good rear sight that would fit the dove-tail that is current on the rifle?

I tried 56 grs of AR 2208 (Varget in different can) with 270 gr Speers & 286 gr Normas & got 2220 fps to 2250 fps. Strangeley the 286gr Lapua Mega RN gave 2300 fps. I could't fire the Nosler & Barnes TSX 250grs as they were seated too long (I loaded up the ammo before the rifle arrived). I can't wait to get the rings & try it with the scope on!

--------------------

FourWinds
.224 member

Reged: 22/11/07
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #89588 - 23/11/07 08:57 PM

Beautiful rifle Naki. It's always great to see that someone has ressurected an old classic.
I was interested to hear about your experience with the Lapua bullets. My first 9.3x62 was put together on a Howa action. I remember when we started trying loads, that it liked IMR 4064, but interestingly enough, just as you found, I could propel a 286grn Norma Plastic Pointed Dual-Core faster than a Speer 270grner. Who know's why? We couldn't figure it out. Jacket consistency? Just goes to show that it's worth testing your guns out and trying new loads!

Nakihunter
.375 member

Re: Simson 9.3 X 62 - my "new" toy! [Re: FourWinds]
      #91749 - 16/12/07 09:24 PM

I took my rifle to the range today & tried some loads. I had installed a Leupold 2-7X scope.

I tries 3 bullets - Nosler 250 gr Balistic Tip, Barnes 250 gr TSX & Lapua Mega 286 gr soft point. I had 2 loads each - total 6 loads.

I had collumated the rifle with my Leupold collumator. I also bore sighted it against the top of a pine tree 1 mile away - usually works very well for me & the top "cross" of the pine makes it easy to center the bore as well as the scope cross hairs.

At the range, I first tried to get on paper at 25 yards. The first shot was way off the mark - 8" high & 6" to the left. The next two were also out despite adjusting the scope. After getting it on the 2 inch circle, I moved to 50 meters & again I had trouble with the Nosler going off the paper. Finally I got it on the bull at 50 meters. By now all the lighter loads were gone & I was begining to worry that I had bought a lemon & spent all this money on restoring it only to have a jar of rancid marmalade!

I then tried 3 shots of the Nosler BT at 100 meters & got a 1" group about 2" high (after adjusting the scope for the umpteenth time). The next 3 shots from the Barnes TSX were in the bull - 1" group. May be the rifle was not a lemon after all....! Final 3 shots with the Lapua were 1" low & 1" group!! I just cannot believe this. So, the Lapua can be zeroed for 100 meters & the Barnes will shoot to 200 meters & the Nosler BT to 250 meters!

I'll now load up the same 3 loads & do a full chronograph test. I am expecting 2450 to 2600 with the 250 gr bullets & 2300 to 2450 with the 286 gr bullet. The 3 final loads were 56gr to 59 gr of Varget. I had already chronographed the starting loads with open sights a few weeks ago.

The BIG QUESTION I have is - has anyone else had much experience with full length ribbed barrel rifles behaving like this? Was my rifle "settling" into the new stock?

The only other rifle I have had that behaved so strangely despite collumating & bore sighting was my 358 Win Douglas SS barrel on a Mod 70 action that was not free floated. I thing the fact that the barrel had virtually full length contact with the stock resulted in the bullets shooting very high. Once I got it close to the bull, I was able to shoot 1 hole groups with Sierra 225gr bullets & 1" with Hornady 200 gr bullets.

I would appreciate any info / feed back on the matter.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #91779 - 17/12/07 07:07 AM

Per your PM, checked this out--looks awesome

Only comment/suggestion is if you are shooting the bullets you described..and testing loads.. one precaution you may want to do is shoot the triple shocks first--as it states in their literature and also in my conversation with Ty at Barnes--they like clean barrels..

As to full length ribbed barrels ---I personally have no experience with them--

Good luck

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Re: Simson 9.3 X 62 - my "new" toy! [Re: Ripp]
      #91791 - 17/12/07 08:13 AM

Nice rifle, sure made for a great christmas.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6546

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com