Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Stuart
.275 member

Reged: 24/05/07
Loc: Mission, B.C., Canada
98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62
      #89074 - 16/11/07 04:05 AM

My apologies if this has been covered before... I have seen used Husqvarnas chambered in this calibre on both M96 & M98 actions. Is the 96 action really strong enough for this cartridge or marginal?

Stuart

--------------------
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by
smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles
who really mean it. (Mark Twain)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: Stuart]
      #89075 - 16/11/07 04:26 AM

Stuart;

This issue has been debated over and over again on a Forum devoted to Swedish commercial arms.

Without making any statements about strength per se, I can tell you that the 96 actions will require strict attention to shorter-than-normal overall length of handloads and many factory loads may require reseating and concommitant pressure testing also.

The 9.3x62 cartridge is an interesting one in that loads, and I suspect pressures, vary greatly, with some published factory loads and handloads using 285 grain bullets generating velocities in the 2200 fps all the way up to 2500 { } or so.

In deference to the lack of a safety lug, marginal gas deflection and gas venting features of the 96 as compared to the 98, I'd keep loads on the low side for sure.

I have 96 and 98-actioned 9.3x57's. That cartridge is probably a better choice for the 96 action in that bullets can be seated to the mag and leade length limits which provide in my gun one-caliber seating in the neck and maximum case capacity. I keep my loads in the 96 action rifle to just under 2100 fps with a 285 grain bullet. It is a sure killer, and I reckon if a guy had a nice condition 96 in 9.3x62 he could make good work with it and still keep pressures low.

The 96-action rifles have one neat thing going for them in that they make for a very trim, light and handy rifle. My 96-action x57 weighs 5 1/2 lbs {with Svensk jaktdiopter peep rear sight} and is pure joy to carry and is, miraculously to me and others who have shot it quite gentle on the shoulder, too.

Have you got one of these guns or are you shopping?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Stuart
.275 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #89131 - 17/11/07 02:01 AM

9ThreeXFifty7,

Sorry to rehash this subject. Yes, now that you remind me I believe here was a discussion on the Swedish Mauser forum. (In fact I have a funny feeling that I may have even participated in it! I've been away from the forums for some time due to building a new house, which has taken just about all my time and energy.) I don't have one but have seen a number of Husqvarnas for sale up here, mostly 8x57 and 9.3x57 but the odd 9.3x62 has turned up, on both 96 and 98 actions and I've been tempted... However, since I'm not in a rush, I'll just wait until a decent 98 action comes up.

Stuart

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #89133 - 17/11/07 03:11 AM

Good condition ,96 actions have been rechambered for rounds such as the .264 WinMag by others and the 6.5x68(by me). While I didn't go for maximum loads, I was still able to hit 3,100fps with 130gr. bullets.
; I believe a wildcatter named "Arch" noted in Ackely's books, was instrumental in showing the actual strength of the 96 actions and was the one who re-cahmbered tham to .264 Win Mag, then developed his own 6.5 Imp Arch on the 6.5x55 case. At this time, I have virtually the same action, either a M92 or m94, I think, that was factory chambered in .308 Winchester in Europe. That, my friends, is a 63,000 to 64,000PSI round.
; I would think the action is a bit short for factory 9.3x62 and I'd stay with shorter rounds. The 6.5x68, were, of coruse, to long as well and a single-shot propositon. It was my long range deer rifle for a season. Effective, too.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by Daryl_S (17/11/07 03:13 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

#89138 - 17/11/07 05:05 AM

Quote:

9ThreeXFifty7,

Sorry to rehash this subject.

Stuart

Not a problem! It is an interesting topic and as Daryl points out, not one in which all have the same comfort level.

The way I see it, the 96 is a strong action, but it simply does not have the safety features that were true improvements resulting in the 98. Gas venting in all aspects is much improved in the 98, and the 98 is for that reason alone deemed far more "safe" in my estimation, though "stronger" may or may not apply. It also possesses a safety lug in the rare event the main locking lugs shear.

One more aspect that might be of interest is also the reported {few, admittedly} failures of, IIR C 1942-made Husqvarna military actions the cause of which has been debated but may be a combination of poor heat treatment {temper} leaving the actions and/or bolts brittle and some ammunition problem. The real point to me is not so much that some actions let go, as probably all actions have had failures at some point, but rather the results of the failures, which as reported on the Swede forum in military service resulted in some catastrophic maimings and deaths. Again, this is not a broad indictment of the 94/96 action but merely a reflection on its lack of added safety features vis a vis the 98. A lug shear incident with a bolt that does not possess a safety lug is nothing to sneeze at, assuming the shooter has a nose left to sneeze...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
      #89156 - 17/11/07 10:06 AM

Just a suggestion, but perhaps the best of both worlds. Why not a small ring "98" Mauser action, a 33/40 or an FN Supreme. Rather scarce but it might be worth the effort. I have a custom 6mm Rem. on a FN Supreme action that I purchased from Browning many years ago-very nice action to say the least. --- John303

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: John303]
      #89199 - 18/11/07 03:09 AM

Lack of the gas-handling feature of the more advanced 98 action, as 9.3 points out is a common complaint of the M96.
: Please note that the 96 has similar gas handling features, and perhaps better even, than the Winchester M70 and Remington M700 modern actions.
: The M98 is to be preferred for a 2.5" case like the 9.3x62, but a good M96 is indeed a good action for a variety of modern, shorter rounds.
: My curent M96 6.5x55 was purchased locally from a gun store, and turned out to have a brand new barreled action. Shortened to 22", it drives 129gr. Interlocks out at 2,966fps and 140gr.'ers at 2,870fps. This in no ay hurts the brass, so loading thusly in this particular rifle is within it's boundaries. There are no flies on the 6.5 nor it's action, the M96.

--------------------
Daryl

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
      #89283 - 19/11/07 01:37 PM

There was a warehouse full of used Husqvarnas of which many have come to the US. I picked up several 9.3 x 62's with broken stocks and am restocking them now. Being a wood dealer has its benefits. These are a couple of Earl Milliron patterns in Tessia French walnut.

FourWinds
.224 member

Reged: 22/11/07
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: Peterb]
      #89706 - 25/11/07 07:10 AM

I'm a proud Husqvarna 9.3 user. I have 2 FN '98 commercial actioned 9.3x62s and a '96 actioned 9.3x57.

I also own one of the later "commercial" '96 style rifles in 8x57. These rifles have an action with no allowance for a thumbcut for clip loading. They were, I believe, made in the postwar period. Although Husqvarna made some earlier 9.3x 62s on the standard '96 action, from what I've seen, the majority of the 9.3x62s on '96 actions are on this later, and much stronger action.

I have used standard, fairly stout loads, similar in performance to european loads, not US loads, in my commercial '96 8x57. I've also used Norma, Lapua, and Privi Partisan "factory" loads in my little 8x57. I believe these actions are very strong. If a 9.3x62, in this same model, were to pass my way for a reasonable price, and most of them are reasonably priced, I'd snap it up. These are the rifles that come from the same place where Norma and Lapua ammunition are made.

The same lack of safety lug and the gas deflection issues are still present. The magazines are the standard '96 length, and need to have bullets seated appropriately.

If you're a prudent reloader, and don't try to push a cartridge which, at least in my mind, really doesn't need pushing anyway, I don't think you'd be disappointed with one of these later styled Husqvarna rifles.

There's a Swedish Sporting Arms forum at www.gunboards.com with some folks with a wealth of knowledge on these rifles. You might give them a try.

Stuart
.275 member

#91352 - 12/12/07 07:11 PM

Quote:

….Have you got one of these guns or are you shopping?

9ThreeXFifty7,

Well I was sort of shopping at that point but I have just found a Husky in 9.3x57 on a 98 action (not sure if it's a small- or large- ring) that is going to the 'smith's to be reamed to 9.3x62 before coming to me:

I don't fancy a scope sitting that high so I'll want to find a lower mounting alternative, apparently the rear sight is fixed, the safety looks a little apologetic and the white-line spacer on the recoil pad is a rather tacky (IMHO), so there will be a few things to work on when it arrives!

Stuart

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#91360 - 13/12/07 12:36 AM

Stuart, glad you found a rifle!!

I'm going to make some "in my humble opinion" suggestions. Please know I want you to enjoy that gun and my suggesstions are meant in that spirit.

1} You have a 9.3x57 built on a 94/96 action with a walnut stock {some were made up with birch}. I do not see any stamp on the top of the reciver ring, was it ground off? The gun when built by Husqvarna is known as the Model 46. The action has two locking lugs, no safety lug like a 98, and has the small gas shield on the cocking pice, small gas relief holes in the bolt. It is a "small ring" action. I have one of these guns myself. Very light, superb balance, really a great hunting rifle, but not a rifle to push pressures in. It has what appears to be the very common side safety, installed frequently in Sweden by gunsmiths to allow scope use with the rifle. Have your gunsmith check the safety and functioning of this safety. Some of the guns exhibit chambering oddities that may result in a slightly excessive headspace condition. Gunsmith should check that, too. The gun appears to have the proper inletting relief behind the tang. This is good as many of these guns do not and suffer stock cracks as a result. Have your gs check the bedding closely. Most could stand bedding gel in the recoil lug area and the wood behind the tang relieved. Frequently on the Husqvarnas, the actions are bedded so perfectly from the top that they look like they've been poured into the stocks. Trouble is, the Swedes didn't do such a great job where a rifle needs to be bedded, at the recoil lug, and that in combination with the contact at the tange leads to cracking. I suppose I'd keep the old scope mount, but I'd have the gs make sure it is well mounted on the action. And I'd pick a lighter scope so as to avoid stressing the side mount too much. Minor point there, but make sure the mount is well secured, as the screws take the force of recoil directly, which is a little differently than a top mount where the recoil rides both back and up against and into the mounts.

2} I would NOT have that gun rechambered! The action will not feed many full length factory 9.3x62 cartridges {magazine is not long enough} and you will have to either reseat bullets deeper {be careful of pressures here} or handload exclusively. I would not want to push max 9.3x62 loads and pressures in it either. Save the money and use it on ammunition.

3} All is not lost, however. In fact, there are advantages to the 9.3x57 round! First, the round was most likely designed specifically for your action and it fits the 46 perfectly. If you are stuck with handloading anyway, cheap 8x57 cases are available to use to make 9.3x57 rounds; one pass thru the Hornady sizer is all it takes for mine. The ballistics of the 9.3x57 make it good on deer, moose and elk to 200 yards and there are lots of bullets available. A 285 grain bullet can typically be run at 2100 fps. I have killed deer, elk, black bear and other ranch trash with the gun at from bayonet range to a little over 200 yards. Good cartridge. I shot a big 1000 pound semi-wild steer angling thru both shoulders with the round at 70 yards and it exited {Hornady .375 caliber 270 grain Spire Point resized to .365}. That was over 2 feet of penetration. The round has been and is used on moose in Scandinavia for a hundred years.

In sum, if it was mine, I'd leave it in 9.3x57 and shoot game with it! Congrats on a neat gun!

--------------------

Stuart
.275 member

#91367 - 13/12/07 02:45 AM

Quote:

Stuart, glad you found a rifle!!

I'm going to make some "in my humble opinion" suggestions. Please know I want you to enjoy that gun and my suggestions are meant in that spirit....!

9ThreeXFifty7,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I was wondering if it was a small ring and I think I will take your advice and leave it in 9.3x57 if it is at all "iffy" to rechamber it. (I doubt I will ever point it at a Cape Buff anyway, but with slightly lighter bullets in 9.3x57 it should be fine for any larger plains game that my P-14 .303 Epps might not handle- this is for the "second" Africa trip, bearing in mind that I haven't made the first one yet!) I had planned to check the bedding and glass-bed it anyway.

Stuart

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#91391 - 13/12/07 09:13 AM

The only real trouble with re-chambering it, is the magazine length - the 2.5 case has a loaded length of about 3/10" too long. Well, that and getting the barrel off for re-cahmbering without destroying it. I've not been able to get a '96 barrel off without ringing (slicing) the barrel ahead of the action ring to the depth of the threads, just to relieve the hoop stress. Those were military actions though - perhaps they used a shorter wrench to put sporter barrels on with.
; The standard 9x57 should be perfect and in considerably more powerful than the .303 or .30/06. It's in the same ballpark as a .358 Winchester.

--------------------
Daryl

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: DarylS]
      #91413 - 13/12/07 11:47 AM

Stuart

I agree with 9ThreeXFifty7, I would not rechamber it.

While not quite as powerful as a 9,3x62 or a 9,3x74R the 9,3x57 is a good hunting cartridge is it's own right.

I have used the 270 Speer in my X74 for deer and pigs with excellent results.

At the velocities of the 9,3x57 I think it would work on moose and black bear as well.

Also take a look at the 285 gr Hawk with the .035jkt.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: NE450No2]
      #91437 - 13/12/07 02:40 PM

My favorite bullet for the x57 is the Prvi Partizan 285 grain RN.

Alas, they are not being imported. Last sold, they cost $19.99 per 100. Yes, that's right, less than 20 bucks per hundred.

For some reason Graf's is having some trouble getting them back in.

Anybody who wants to see them again, please call Graf's and ask for them!!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#91441 - 13/12/07 03:46 PM

I-too think the 270 Speer would be a great bullet, with excellent penetration at the 57mm case's velocity levels.
; It should run in the 2,225 to 2,250fps range with top-end loads in the m96.
; If memory seerves me correctly, John Taylor placed the 9.3x62's original speeds, those that gave it, it's fame and glory in Africa, at 2,157fps range with the 286gr., soft and solid.

--------------------
Daryl

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #91464 - 13/12/07 09:20 PM

If I may go off at a tangent, you mention relieving the wood behind the tang to stop cracking ...
We have an FN Mauser 98 sporterized .30/06 that has long had a fine crack extending about a quarter inch from the tang. Is it too late to relieve the wood there to stop the crack going any further?

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: Paul]
      #91473 - 14/12/07 12:51 AM

Quote:

If I may go off at a tangent, you mention relieving the wood behind the tang to stop cracking ...
We have an FN Mauser 98 sporterized .30/06 that has long had a fine crack extending about a quarter inch from the tang. Is it too late to relieve the wood there to stop the crack going any further?

First, here are some tests I shot with the 270 Speer:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=1264

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=1245

I have never used the 270 Speer on game but it appears to a pretty good bullet for the 9.3x57 from the tests I've done. I still have a hoard of 285 Prvi's I use on game.

Paul:

This I don't consider OT considering it is a common problem with Husky's {and many Mauser sporters from what I'm told}. Tang area cracks are routinely fixed on Husqvarnas. What I mean is, if a guy can't fix Husky tang cracks he better buy Remingtons or golf clubs! Used ones VERY frequently are cracked there.

My fix is simple;

Remove barreled action. Drill holes in the cracked area from the area inside the action inletting where they cannot be seen from the top. Get a syringe that fits the holes and inject Acraglas gel into the holes while at the same time GENTLY spreading the stock open with a wooden wedge or some other method {prying with the ball end of a ballpeen hammer, etc, whatever works, there are "sreader" clamps that work, too}.

When the gel oozes out of the crack at the top, clamp the stock together at the wrist and wipe off the oozed out gel with a rag dampened with paint thinner.

The only tricky part is that you will have some flowback into the tang area. You can either pack the hole openings there with tape, toilet paper or a combination {or something else that gets the job done OR you can plug the holes with the action itself by bedding the tang area at the same time you fill the holes which is IMHO the best way to do it.

If you bed the action which is my preference, MAKE SURE THE WRIST IS FIRMLY CLAMPED BEFORE YOU SET THE ACTION INTO THE STOCK or the action will spread the stock and "advertise" the wrist repair!

Once all hardens, you remove the stock and take a piece of 100 grit sandpaper and wrap it around a dowel and carefully round out the area behind the tang, opening it so there is no contact between it and the action tang.

Voila, done!

NO NEED for cross bolts thru the tang area {brass screws, bolts, dowels, etc} that are unsightly and in the worst case can actually weaken the stock badly. The above-described repair is frequently invisible from the top {sometimes the gel can be seen, so dye it properly according to directions} but properly-filled with Acraglas gel you will have a very strong repair, probably far stronger than the wood was to start with!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#91480 - 14/12/07 03:00 AM

Most Husky's were cracked at the tang, not becasue of wood to metal fit, but due to overly long steel screw bushings. Bushings that are too long, allow the floor-plate and action to be screwed together, but loose from the stock itself. They are an early form of pillar bedding, except the 'pillar' isn't glued to the wood as in modern pillar bedding.
; If the stock isn't cracked, I remove the steel bushing and screw things down tight - never cracks after that. if it's cracked, I repair it similarly to 9.3x57, then removed the bushing and it never cracks there. Properly bedded, an the stock won't crack, as long as the wood is strong enough for the ctg. the rifle is chambered for.
; I had a .375/06IMP that used to crack the stock every 400 to 1,000 rounds. After repairing it 3 times, I finally re-stocked it. The wood was a beautiful, but extremely soft and open pored piece of highly figured claro I got from Fagen's back in 72. It originally failed on my .458 2", got re-bedded, cross-pinned and lasted well over 1,000 more rounds before spitting the second time. I pulled te .458 barrel, replaced it with a .375" tube, and carried on, shooting and repairing. Actually, it did quite well considering the punky wood.
How many guys on this site still haven't fired 1,000 rounds of centrefire hunting ammunition? Certainly those who don't load and there are a lot of them here.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: DarylS]
      #91483 - 14/12/07 03:49 AM

Daryl, the condition you describe is, of course, an issue of wood to metal fit. Husky's {particularly Model 146's and the 640 series} have alot of bedding "issues", some arising out of pure poor relief at the tang, some from a host of other problem areas. Many are indeed loose in the stock, but the source of tang cracking is frequently found farther forward; poor contact between the recoil lug and the stock recoil shoulder. That in conjunction with being bedded up tight at the tang at the factory results in stock cracking at the tang even if the action is tight to the stock as over time the stock settles into the recoil shoulder but not until cracks form at the tang.

You touch on another interesting point too. I have a Husqvarna 648 that has a very soft walnut stock. Bedding it in epoxy at the recoil lug shoulder has cured the problem of never-ending setback, but without that it would likely have been a repeat offender just as you describe. Interestingly, it came to me in essentially new condition, with, as described above, very poor recoil-lug-stock contact.

Yes, epoxy bedding at the recoil shoulder is recommended also.

There is lots of discussion of this topic over on the Swedish commercial arms forum, though I believe lots was lost when the forum changed software a few months ago. If you want to know something about Husky's or other Scandinavian arms, it is hard to beat the knowledge and experience of those represented there From Jarmann's and Krags to Husky's and S&L's, somebody has "been there and done that". Great site.

--------------------

Stuart
.275 member

#91493 - 14/12/07 06:47 AM

Quote:

My favorite bullet for the x57 is the Prvi Partizan 285 grain RN.
Alas, they are not being imported....

There's a chap up here in B.C. who seems to be able to get all sorts of stuff, although it's usually from the US that we can't personally import. I might ask him if he has a lead on Prvi Partizan. At those prices, they would be good for practice, too. Unfortunately, we can't usually get Hawk, North Fork (who do a 250 & 286 gr in 9.3) or other smaller makers' products, due to BATF restrictions on your side although Canada Customs has no problem with them. We do get Barnes and the other larger manufacturers, though, and Woodleigh, although Woodleighs are hellish expensive up here. (A box of 174 gr. .303 were something like $54.00 IIRC. Made me cry when I saw Midway's prices.) Barnes TSX might be a good choice, too, as long as OAL isn't a problem.

Stuart

--------------------

gathumper
.224 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: South GA
      #92418 - 22/12/07 03:32 PM

Your 9.3x57 that weights 5.5lbs, does it have a wood stock?

Stuart,

How much does your gun weight without a scope?

I was wondering, because I want a light weight, wood stock, and open sighted gun to ride in the scabbard of my saddle. I beleive I'm going to try and see if I can hunt from horseback next year. I can shoot a shotgun off most of our horses, but I'm not sure about a deer rifle...maybe they won't make me break my neck.

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: gathumper]
      #92419 - 22/12/07 04:15 PM

Quote:

Your 9.3x57 that weights 5.5lbs, does it have a wood stock?

I was wondering, because I want a light weight, wood stock, and open sighted gun to ride in the scabbard of my saddle. I beleive I'm going to try and see if I can hunt from horseback next year. I can shoot a shotgun off most of our horses, but I'm not sure about a deer rifle...maybe they won't make me break my neck.

Wood, original HVA walnut stock somewhat trimmed down. Has the long 24" bbl, too. If I had two like it I'd lop one of them back to 19 or 20 inches and see what it would do. Ours hear gun fire all the time, but we don't shoot off of them. I do not normally hunt from a horse, but have shot grouse while dismounted and holding the shank.

--------------------

gathumper
.224 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: South GA
      #92492 - 23/12/07 05:50 PM

I was looking at the rifles on sarco's website and they said theirs wieght in at 7.75lbs...that's a big difference

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: gathumper]
      #92498 - 24/12/07 12:21 AM

That is probably about the weight of the Model 146's. Without scope and mounts I suspect that is what mine goes or thereabout.

However, the Model 46's I have owned or seen and handled are lighter to begin with. One of the "advantages" of the 94 action {on Model 46 9.3x57's} is its trim and light weight in comparison to the 98. Barrel diameters are different between the 46 and 146, too. Another aspect of the guns is the difference in weight between the stocks. Some of the 46's are stocked in beech, some in walnut, and the walnut-stocked guns seem vary a lot due to wood density. The source of HVA walnut has been discussed a lot on the Swede site but I'm not certain anybody knows exactly where the stocks came from, particularly since there may have been several sources. My 46 was very light to begin with, and then I removed wood and reshaped the comb to allow left-shoulder shooting, and this certainly trimmed some weight down.

Be very careful of SARCO. Probably best to see and handle what you are interested in buying before you lay down the cash...

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21192

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com