Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: red deer in SEQ

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
red deer in SEQ
      #89 - 29/12/02 01:39 PM

hi folks, anyone hunting reds in south east qld.aust,? i did on the weekend and am again this weekend , hoping the stags have gathered more hinds and are more agro . anyone got experience or ideas? pete

Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Pete,

How did you go on your first weekend?

See any reds - stags, hinds, anything?

Sorry haven't hunted red deer in the Mary/Brisbane Valleys.

The fallow deer down here in SA have certainly gathered their herds of does and are toey. Nights are quite cold but haven't noticed if they're rutting yet. Certainly a fair bit of fighting. I assume they have started as it should be well underway by now.

Certainly lots of fresh rubbings.

Good luck this weekend coming up.

Nitro

Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

hi nitro,
2-3 months prior to the rut i would see 20-60 deer each weekend but its tapering off and last weekend i saw less than a doz, saw only a few stags and their roarin well but so hard to get close enough to even see them let alone get close enough for a shot with a bow. very steep country, noisy and some dry creeks that are almost impossible to cross because of the density of lantana. of the deer that i did see i noticed the stags had only gathered 1-3 hinds. if im lucky enough to get a deer i'll video for the rest of the trip. will let u know how i go when i return on sun nite been practisig roaring so i hope they will b agro enough to have a go at me. pete

Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post a picture we don't have them here in Maryland ,would be interested to see

Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Pete

I think it would be hard to get a nice stag by bow hunting.

Both of my red stags were shot with my .30-06 and I would have got neither if I was using a bow. Both had spotted me and were moving off. The one in New Zealand was about 50 metres away and trotting uphill quartering away from me. The South Aussie one was beginning to build up full speed away at about 90 metres (guess where I shot that one?).

Have got within bow range of quite a few hinds and also fallow bucks and does. None have been trophy quality though.

If you can get a stag, what sort of standard have you set for yourself? An animal for the venison? If you're aiming for a trophy animal what size would you settle for? I think a bow hunted stag trophy is a hard hunted and well deserved one.

Perfecting a "roar" does sound like the way to go. Bring them in nice and close to you.

Post your experiences whether you are successful or not. Can't win everytime.

But good luck. Would be great to see a nice 12 pointer bow hunted photo posted.

Nitro

Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Redbeard

check out this link in the photos album.

http://communities.ninemsn.com.au/nitroexpresscom/deer.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=21

This is the sort of red stag trophy that dreams are made of.

Red stag is a native of Scotland, most of Europe and East into Russia. They were also introduced to Australia and New Zealand (one of the best places in the world to hunt them) and also Argentina.

They are a magnificient animal and the first trophy deer I hunted was a red stag.

Red deer are the European species equivalent and are related to Wapiti (Elk) but are smaller and the tines of red stag's antlers can form more of a "cup" shape, where the Wapiti is more linear.

Red stags "roar" during the rut and can be called in by a skilled hunter.

Looking for some red deer scanned photo's I have on my NZ trophy. Can't find them. Will try another PC.

Nitro

Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

What is this animals height weight agility eyesight speed etc??How is the meat?Give general discription please.
Bigfive

Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

g'day nitro,
back from the bush, tired and unsuccessful, but got some good excersize and its always good to hear the stags roaring at night. lantana in my right eye blurred my vision for the hunt and should b back to normal tomorrow nite. but thats no excuse i really dont expect to get a stag easily even when i'm in top form . its been the most difficult frustrating hunting i hav ever done. i got to within 40m of a roaring 6-8 pointer that probably would have continued along the trail and offered me a shot had the wind not turned and blew down the hill giving me away. the tension and excitement of possibly my first red deer with a bow as i stand with an arrow on my bow, watching and listening as he tilts his head and repeatedly roars, its a feeling that is hard to beat, think i'll give it another go next weekend, i know i wont get one sittin in my bedroom lookin at this silly computer. as for your questions, the steep thick country prevents the recovery of the meat unless i am close to camp, but i will take the back steaks no matter wher i am and if i were using a rifle i would settle for a double 5 but because with a bow im in it for the chalenge rather than the head , i'll take any stag i can get close enough too. once i've done that , i'll photo or video untill something alot better comes along. hope their still roaring next weekend, will let u know how i go. pete

Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Pete

Well the rut has finally started down here. Very late this year.

Was in Adelaide for the weekend but my "pet" farm deer have started rutting. The dominant buck ("Maximilliam 1" - ie my breeding name) has started grunting a lot (trying to get a sound recording of him and then will post it on the web site once I work out how). The farm deer started on Firday or Saturday so I would be surprised if the deer in "da hills" aren't as well.

Guess where I will be this weekend. In "da hills".

Nitro

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1880

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com