Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Another OK size buffallo

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
dok
.275 member

Reged: 21/04/05
Loc: NT, Australia
Another OK size buffallo
      #88504 - 08/11/07 07:47 PM

Another buffalo, this time taken with my Ruger in 416 Rigby using 410gr Woodleigh SN

This was a good buffalo as I walked in on it after seeing it from about 300 metres away. When I was about 100 metres, it spotted me and sniffed the air and then trotted about 15 metres towards me with it's head held high. From the time it spotted me, it didn't take it's eyes off me.

I stayed still for about 30 seconds and tried to get a bit closer as there was a fair bit of trees and scrub between me and the buff. I walked about 15 metres and the buff didn't like this so he started to shake it's head from side to side and suddenly trotted another 10 or 15 metres. I was getting a little concerned as I was by myself (I know you should go hunting with other people but just sometimes you can't). The buff continued to walk closer until it was about 35 to 40 metres, staring straight at me. I was hoping it would turn side on so I could get a good heart / lung shot but this buffalo wasn't about to play the game and there was a stale-mate happening. It looked like the buff was getting a bit more pissed off and after what seemed like ages (about 30 seconds I guess), I decided to end the stand off and I took aim just below the horns on the front of the head and as the buffalo held his head still, I fired. The bull dropped where it stood.

I have to agree with the previous posts, if you are going to be walking in on buffs (and personally it's the best way for hunting enjoyment) you don't want anything smaller than .40 cal. These big Bulls can take a huge amount of punishment.

Edited by NitroX (16/03/10 02:22 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Another OK size buffallo [Re: dok]
      #88506 - 08/11/07 10:20 PM

Nothing to be sneezed at.

How big? Looks to be in the nineties as a guess.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

dok
.275 member

Re: Another OK size buffallo [Re: NitroX]
      #88507 - 08/11/07 10:38 PM

It just fell short of the 100 (only 98). I do like the wide spread horns rather than the curls but still a very attractive set (IMO)... Although i'm not one to knock back a good trophy with curly horns.

--------------------
DOK

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #88515 - 09/11/07 12:05 AM

seeing all there buffs tipped over in Australia--perhaps I will have to rethink my next hunt--looks very interesting...
Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Another OK size buffallo [Re: Ripp]
      #88517 - 09/11/07 12:34 AM

dok

Excellent little hunting story and a top trophy.

I know what you mean by going out by yourself !!!

But, once you've done it before and know the signs,
it can be interesting.

Do you think he would have stood his ground, put in a full blown charge or run away ?

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Another OK size buffallo [Re: 500Nitro]
      #88525 - 09/11/07 02:06 AM

Couple of nice bulls you've posted here, dok (or was the other one a big cow? Bloody ripper trophy, all the same!)

I've hunted big bulls by myself plenty of times too, and you certainly learn restraint! These days, I get more out of a trophy buff in the company of friends or family members, no matter who actually presses the trigger.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

dok
.275 member

Re: Another OK size buffallo [Re: Marrakai]
      #88574 - 09/11/07 02:56 PM

The other one was a bull as well. I know what you mean about enjoying sharing the experience with other people. It's always great to see the excitement and pure enjoyment when someone else shoots a buffalo (especially a trophy) for the first time. i can't wait until my son is old enough to take shooting...

--------------------
DOK

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
      #88639 - 10/11/07 11:30 AM

Awesome bulls-Roughly how much money would I be looking at for a hunt coming from the US-less than Africa I hope? Of course, I know the price of a hunt doesn't include getting there, but I want at least one hunt for something you just simply can't shoot here-even if it takes several years to go.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

dok
.275 member

Re: Another OK size buffallo [Re: Shackleton]
      #88646 - 10/11/07 12:36 PM

I'm only guessing but you'll be looking at anywhere between
$3500 - $7000 US depending on how many on the hunt / which outfitter and where their concession is. There is a number of outfitters that advertise or are members of this forum. From what I have seen and heard, most (if not all) run a good professional "outfit". I am lucky in that I have permission from several traditional landowners across the north eastern part of the NT and I maintain a good relationship with them.

cheers

--------------------
DOK

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#88654 - 10/11/07 12:57 PM

Most outfitters will charge around US$7000 to US$9000 for a 1x1 water buffalo hunt including trophy fee for 5 to 7 days hunting.

2x1 is of course a little bit cheaper.

Some cheaper hunts also exist, eg on station land where lesser numbers of buffalo might exist. Arnhemland is remote wilderness so camps cost more to run there but has more buffalo generally. Also be of course aware that cheap hunts may be cheap for a reason.

Most cape buffalo hunting is Africa is now US$10,000 to $12,000 for a seven day equivalent buffalo hunt so I guess Aussie is a little bit cheaper on average.

Do both!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
      #88657 - 10/11/07 01:14 PM

Thanks-I'd love to do both, but for me it'll be one or the other-the less I spend on overseas hunts, the more I have for elk hunts(also a dream at this point). The idea of a good, honest elk hunt just won't go away, and from what I've read I might have to go a few times before getting one-my odds are a bit higher as I don't have a preference of cow vs bull(would gladly take a cow hunt) but of sourse a big 6X6 bull would be great too. A buff hunt is hopefully somewhere in the future but for anything bigger than an Iowa whitetail my elk comes first.
Thanks again for the numbers.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#88668 - 10/11/07 04:32 PM

Quote:

... the more I have for elk hunts(also a dream at this point). The idea of a good, honest elk hunt just won't go away, and from what I've read I might have to go a few times before getting one-my odds are a bit higher as I don't have a preference of cow vs bull(would gladly take a cow hunt) but of sourse a big 6X6 bull would be great too.

A dream of mine too. The situation is reversed for us, Elk hunts in North America for us can be very expensive as foreignors. The prices I have heard were US$15,000 and that was many years ago.

Never done any serious enquiries but have heard it can sometimes not be as expensive ...

I probably would hunt moose and brown bear in North America as a priority.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #88689 - 11/11/07 08:02 AM

I found that Mongolian Elk hunts are half the price of a US hunt. You can take Ibex & Roe deer on the same hunt. Some New Zealanders have done this & are offering to share trips.

African hunting prices seem to be dictated by the outfitters marketting & concession fees. The cheapest (good & reliable) hunts are operated by small operators with one PH licence. They just offer hunts for the local meat hunters & sell trophy hunts at the same price to other larger outfitters who put on the margins as wells as the added overheads. I have found 2 setups through New Zealand guides who exchange hunts with the African PHs - they are about half the price - but you cannot find this on the web or magazines. I also met a fabrication engineer from South Africa during my BC bear hunt in Sept & he has a PH licence with some good access. The problem with his set up is that he cannot guarnatee timing of hunts for foreign hunters. His business takes up most of his time & flexibility. I suppose this is similar to dok's personal contacts in the NT.

For those of us with limited budgets our dreams are free and frequent! Happy dreaming!

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#88711 - 11/11/07 03:23 PM

Quote:

I was getting a little concerned as I was by myself (I know you should go hunting with other people but just sometimes you can't). The buff continued to walk closer until it was about 35 to 40 metres, staring straight at me. I was hoping it would turn side on so I could get a good heart / lung shot but this buffalo wasn't about to play the game and there was a stale-mate happening. It looked like the buff was getting a bit more pissed off and after what seemed like ages (about 30 seconds I guess), I decided to end the stand off and I took aim just below the horns on the front of the head and as the buffalo held his head still, I fired. The bull dropped where it stood.

Ha, good one. Sounds like the buff Matt Graham and I had in 2004 which wanted to investigate us too up close. I wrote about it at the time on the forums. We ended up walking backwards everytime it came close to keep some distance between us. But did not shoot it and ended up retreating to find a better one.

Would have made a nice trophy nevertheless.

Dok, it times like the episode you had that one remembers and add to the fun memories of the hunt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

dok
.275 member

#97486 - 24/02/08 02:53 PM

A mate looking at the forum wanted to see the photograph (as it disappeared somehow from the page), so i managed to attach the photo again for everyone to have a look.

I am getting an itchy finger again... just looking at these photos

I have a over 100 rounds of 416 rigby rounds / about 150 458wm loaded with woodleigh projectiles and my other BRNO 458 that has been bored out to 458 lott to test.

cheers

--------------------
DOK

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #97515 - 24/02/08 05:46 PM

Ripp,

Come to Oz mate, you won't be disappointed.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#97535 - 24/02/08 11:43 PM

Quote:

A mate looking at the forum wanted to see the photograph (as it disappeared somehow from the page), so i managed to attach the photo again for everyone to have a look.

Perhaps on one of these other threads:

Trophy Buffalo

or
Aussie Buff - no pic left there now

--------------------
John aka NitroX

dok
.275 member

#97594 - 25/02/08 09:30 AM

Different Buffalo. very similar spread though

--------------------
DOK

reflex264
.275 member

Reged: 20/01/08
Loc: TN
      #97760 - 27/02/08 03:22 PM

You boys don't know how bad these pictures make me want to buy a ticket and head south, way down south. One of my dreams is to kill a bull in Austrailia and I have always wanted to see the country as well. Keep posting buff pics. I love them. reflex264

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Another OK size buffallo [Re: reflex264]
      #97811 - 28/02/08 06:18 AM

Aussie guys- correct me if I'm wrong, but the water buff appears to have similar body size, but a smaller skull than the African variety - right/wrong?
; Water buffalo horn was prized by most European bow makers for the bellies of their composite bows. Judging by the surfaces of these, they must be fairly thick and allow considerable scraping down to a smooth surface. Of course, the bow bellies would only be 1/4" thick and there'd be a bunch of them in each horn.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Another OK size buffallo [Re: DarylS]
      #97819 - 28/02/08 08:41 AM

Daryl, We had an earlier thread on the Asiatic Wild Buffalo compared to the ferral water buffalo. The Wild Buffalo is a very big animal - the record body size of a bull was 6 foot 6 inch at the shoulders & probably weighed over 2700 lbs. Average bulls are over 5' 10" at the shoulders & close to 2000 lbs. The Gaur would come pretty close in height & weight. The feral water buffalo is smaller.

Regarding the head, I recon that the relative ratio of the African buffalo is larger compared to the body. In actual size - it would be interesting to know the details from those who have seen both at close quarters.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Another OK size buffallo [Re: DarylS]
      #97839 - 28/02/08 12:30 PM

Quote:

Aussie guys- correct me if I'm wrong, but the water buff appears to have similar body size, but a smaller skull than the African variety - right/wrong?

Australian wild water buffalo are in general quite a bit larger and heavier than cape buffalo.

The head size from a quick look at a couple of trophies is very similar. The Cape buff appears bigger due to the bosses on top of its head. The water buffalo's horns are of course quite flat on the skull.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #97841 - 28/02/08 12:43 PM

TKS- I wondered if the different boss would skew the appearance.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5268

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com