Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Best Balanced Big Bore Entry Double

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Best Balanced Big Bore Entry Double
      #88382 - 07/11/07 08:34 AM

Doubles are great but each is different and handles differently.

I would hope most readers here would agree that the Merkel 470 is probably the cheapest big bore entry Double but what is the best handling?

This is somewhat personal and subjective but I would agree and defer to others more knowledgible than me that a Double with more weight in the center 1/3rd of the gun would be a better handling gun--

What manufacturor do members here think makes the best good balanced entry Double out there--Merkel,Chapuis,Searcy,Heym,or others??
Limits??
I would think if the price gets much past 15K your getting close to exiting the catagory of "entry level"gun.

Personally I would like to see a 577 lite( yes,I know I am dreaming and no one makes this caliber) on a 12 ga size reciever with tapered barrels by Merkel or Chapuis--
That would make one h*lluva entry level gun for me!!
Short of that maybe a 470 Heym makes the grade.

Happy hunting to all!!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (07/11/07 10:21 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bwana600nitro
.224 member

Reged: 13/02/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Best Balanced Big Bore Entry Double [Re: hoppdoc]
      #88391 - 07/11/07 10:23 AM

I like my William Douglass & sons. I think they made 99 of them you can find them from time to time if you look around the only thing is there value is increasing. I saw 2 sell last year one at Champlains for 14.5K and another one by a private seller he was asking 15K but heard he took 14.8K with all the stuff he had with it (100 pieces of brass and some RCBS dies. I know I would not take 15K for mine!

Nice guns with a lot of extras for the money. If you were going to have a comparable gun made today it would be close to 25K to start.

I'm with you on the 577 light. I would love for some one to bite off and do one for 12K to 15K.

Heck I wish some one would do a welded type gun (not the free float heavy barrel S2) of Blasers tilting block double action. That would be one hell for stout double! Hell I know I'm a non-trad., dreamer.

Just my 2 cents

Ed

--------------------
"The big ones look big" Jack O'Conner

Edited by bwana600nitro (07/11/07 10:29 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1256

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com