Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Krieghoff regulation questions...please help!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
JusticeTrimble
.224 member

Reged: 25/04/07
Loc: Louisville, KY.
Krieghoff regulation questions...please help!!
      #88058 - 31/10/07 01:11 PM

Hey Guys,

I was out shooting my Krieghoff 9.3 today with S&B 286 Soft Points. I fired two rounds at twenty five yards that hit about one to two inches apart, but they were about four inches below my point of aim. Then I fired two more at seventy five yards. These last two were still an inch or two apart, but now they were eight inches below my point of aim.

So, here's my question: Am I doing something wrong? I mean should I try other ammo from other companies? Is this an ammo problem? or a regulation problem? The Krieghoff 9.3 has the adjustable barrel wedge. I haven't touched it at all. The gun was used when I bought it. It looks like it's brand new. I know ammo will affect the point of impact and I do have some RWS and Norma to try out, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought about all this first.

I appreciate your time and your help in this.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Krieghoff regulation questions...please help!! [Re: JusticeTrimble]
      #88133 - 01/11/07 02:25 PM

Sounds like you just need to adjust the sights for elevation.

What sights does the rifle have, and how are they adjusted. Raising the rear sight will do the trick. If that's not feasible, fit a lower front sight.

Different brands of ammo may move the POI up or down a tad, and may also affect regulation to some extent. Welcome to the wonderful world of DR regulation!

You don't have a problem at all, merely a challenge!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #88152 - 01/11/07 11:45 PM

JusticeTrimble,
Don't touch the adjusting wedge. The only thing that does is adjust crossing and separation. Height is a sight adjustment issue. I've fired just about every factory produced round ( I don't reload) threw my 9.3 and the gun digests them well with no real problems. It likes some better than others (it loves Nosler's) but all shoot well.
I had a small crossing problem 1/4 turn on the wedge and done. The height adjust with your sights.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

JusticeTrimble
.224 member

Re: Krieghoff regulation questions...please help!! [Re: foxfire]
      #88233 - 05/11/07 12:07 AM

Well, Here's an update......

I took the gun out and shot it yesterday. I started at the 25 yard line. I changed my sight picture somewhat and the gun still shot low. I changed ammo from S&B to Norma and it still shot low. It shot low at the 50 yd. line as well.

I put a leupold scope on it and started dialing it in. I was able to bring the rounds up somewhat, but was not able to get them to come closer than about six inches apart.

I wrote all about this on another site and got lots of great advice on it. Now, I'm beginning to think maybe somewhere, someone messed with the barrel wedge and put it off point of aim.

I know you aren't supposed to mess with the barrel wedge unless you are having crossing problems or having problems getting your rounds close to each other. WELL, they are not close to each other. Now, they do get closer the farther out you go, but not as close as what other people write about on this site.

I was told I could send it to someone who would re-regulate it for me. The cost is supposed to be
$600. That's not available right now, so I'll have to do it myself or wait till I have the money, which my never happen. I guess I'll have to continue to work on this till I get it right. It's very discouraging to pay so much for a fine gun and then find out you can't hit anything with it.

I was told on the other site that I was getting close to it, but I'm not sure. These guns are wonderful to play with and I am glad I bought it. I am beginning to understand why some of the guys write about the displeasures of regulating or re-regulating a double. I can almost "feel their pain".

I fired 24 rounds through it yesterday and haven't really even come close to getting it where I need it to be so I can use it for the coming deer season. So, I guess I'll have to use one of the other guns I have for deer season and play with this gun till I get it right.

I appreciate your advice and guidance on this issue and look forward to more input when you have time for it.

Thanks.

watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
      #88234 - 05/11/07 12:40 AM

G'day there,
I am also new to this world of DR's and have just been through this regulation learning curve. I am not sure if you have a SxS or U&O but the principal is the same. As advised above regulate your barrel striking point to each other, then your mean group point of impact to your point of aim. The one mistake I made was moving the regulating device too much at a time. My Baikal O&U 9.3 started at about 4 inch spread at 25yds and got worse when I tried to regulate it.
I then went back to where I started and moved the adjusting wheel about 1/8 of a turn at a time.
I ended up with about a 1.5 inch group at 50 yards, not quite vertically aligned. I then adjusted the scope to take the mean point of impact of the group to about an inch high at 50yards, Which should give me minute of Sambar out to about 150yard. First walk out I scored a nice Sambar hind
with a one shot kill at about 125yards, so I guess it all works.

All the best with your new DR, Ian.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #88235 - 05/11/07 12:49 AM

Justice:

Sorry for my boneheadedness, but this is a bit confusing to me. Didn't you post first that the bullets were 1-2 inches apart but merely low?

Marrakai answered that problem completely. Raise the rear sight or if there is not enough travel in it, fit a lower front sight, or do a bit of both. If the rear sight is a fixed sight you will have to fit a new one, or have the old one welded up with TIG and a new higher notch cut, or have a lower front sight fitted, or if the front sight is a blade or Sourdough, you can file it to reduce its height.

Case closed...if that is the problem.

But in your last post you seem to say the bullets are not close to each other, or that is how I read it.

Please clarify.

One thing I would add; Stick with one load. Don't bounce from load to load. Sounds like you had a winner at first that only needed raising the rear sight to get "on".

Also, get your irons zeroed before moving to the scope {assuming you want to use irons at all}. Take this thing one step at a time and I think you will have that rifle in the woods for this deer season.

Please post your results!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

JusticeTrimble
.224 member

Re: Krieghoff regulation questions...please help!! [Re: 9.3x57]
      #88238 - 05/11/07 01:54 AM

9threexfifty7,
You are right. I started out close, then they began to spread. And I didn't think of it till now when you wrote about it, but I did change the ammo. That may or probably did have something to do with it. I'm heading back to the range today to try it all over again. You're right, I should start with the irons first, worry about that scope later. For now, I just want to be able to hit something between 50 and 75 yards. I don't hunt open country. Everything around here is pretty close, unless you're out hunting a corn field.

I really am liking this gun, and I hope I can get this to work right. After reading all the posts on here all over again this morning, I have my confidence back up and think I can beat this regulation problem.

I appreciate all the advice and counsel and look forward to posting a report of my results.

Thanks.

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #88244 - 05/11/07 07:32 AM

JusticeTrimble - I have gone through the same thing about a month or two ago - just my thoughts - shoot at least 50 rounds (shoot more) of different ammo with different weight bullets and different speeds at different days...for example here is my first target I have shot with my Merkel 140 (rifle was factory regulated at 50m, with 232 Vulkan bullets - they say? - I set myself a 60m range as a mark for iron sights):

It looked like the rifle was shooting high - it did (or was I) at that day - later it turned out that the same loads were just perfect).

At the end I ended up with: rifle likes velocity around 2300 fps (no matter the weight of the bullets) - if slow it printed low and apart if fast it printed together and high - here is my reference target for my Merkel in 9,3x74R that holds the watter for me:

Take your time - shoot the hell out of her and you will know her and yourself - it is great fun all the way!

JusticeTrimble
.224 member

Re: Krieghoff regulation questions...please help!! [Re: 93mouse]
      #88247 - 05/11/07 09:00 AM

RANGE REPORT!!!!

Hi Guys,

I just got back from the range. It's a good thing I learned how to read and comprehend some time ago. However, I don't always remember what I've read....So, here's what happened. I read a lot of great advice on what to do. One fellow suggested I start real close to see how the rounds are printing and work back from there. Another....or maybe it was the same one....suggested I put up two targets and shoot the right barrel at one and the left barrel at the other to see how they are printing......WELL, GUESS WHAT........I'M ON PAPER!!!!!!

Yep, that's right. I started hitting right off.....now I also owe this to another person who suggested that I change up my "sight picture"......I WAS shooting a "fine bead" on all my shots. So, I simply raised the front sight till it was even with the top of the rear sight and voila!!! Rounds started hitting where I was aiming!!!!!

I sat on the ground, and shot over a pair of "flip out", "fold-out" shooting bipods sticks...you've seen those that fold up to about a foot long....well, I pulled those out of my deer hunting back pack and took them with me.

I put the gun across the shooting bipod and held on to the front half like I was standing and shooting off hand. I guess the only contact would be the bipod right at the rear of the forend where it contacts the action. The gun shot totally different than what it did the last two times from a bench rest with sand bags, etc. What a difference.

Also, one of the guys suggested that I don't give up on her yet and shoot it alot before I form my opinion. Well, that's what I did today. I shot 24 rounds yesterday with S&B and Norma. Today, I fired 30 rounds mixed with S&B and RWS. I could not see a difference in the two at all. They appeared to hit about the same places.

In addition, I took the scope off and only shot with open sights. I shot REAL GOOD at 25 yards. I shot pretty good at 50 yards, and it took me a while to shoot good at 75. I guess my eyes aren't what they used to be. Anyway, I found out how the gun shoots now at each of those and I'm more confident in the gun than I was yesterday.....what a difference a day makes.

So, I've just about shot up all my ammo. I think I have six rounds of RWS left. I started out with four boxes. I guess now it's time to break down and buy some dies. They cost about the same as a box of ammo, but the return is in the future product.

I'll have to continue to follow your advice in shooting the gun more when I start reloading for it. I've read alot of great info on here about the different loads, etc. So, I'll just follow your suggestions and see what happens.

I owe most of this success to all who have contributed info and advice to my questions and concerns. I'm sure I would not have learned as quickly as I did if it were not for reading your posts and honoring your experience. I deeply appreciate all that you have done to help out. You are all a great bunch of guys.

Thanks alot!!

Take Care!!

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
      #88252 - 05/11/07 12:17 PM

Good to see it works for you.
Please post pictures of your targets and your shooting set up (bipod).
Thanks
Martin

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #88300 - 06/11/07 04:59 AM

JusticeTrimble,
A great thing about owning a Krieghoff is they have a factory service center in PA. Krieghoff
When in doubt call them up and they'll be glad to help you. They really are nice to deal with and they know their product.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2781

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com