Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 44 mag or 50 ae

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
.300 member

Reged: 15/03/05
Loc: west retreat
44 mag or 50 ae
      #51190 - 02/03/06 07:43 PM

is the 50 desert eagle more powerful than the 44mag and is there much difference in recoil when they are both in a desert eagle pistol

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
.300 member

Re: 44 mag or 50 ae [Re: 303]
      #51464 - 04/03/06 10:33 PM

or as usual with my handgun posts it will take ages for a reply if i get one i wonder why alot of the handgun questions dont get answered is it lack of knowledge maybe

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #51480 - 05/03/06 03:47 AM

Seems like you need to find someone who's owned and/or shot both a 44mag and a 50AE mag reasearch handgun to offer a qualified answer to part of your question.
I have not owned a Desert Eagle, although I've shot a few of them -- just not enough to properly compare the two different calibers on that action for you here.
I'd look in the reloading manuals to see what chambering offers more possible energy, my hunch is that 50ae will top the 44

I do know that with the mag research autoloaders, especially the 50ae, you need to run a fairly hot load to operate the action. At a certian level, light loads just won't cycle the bolt with the big 50ae action. The way that works with this answer is that typically you can load different calibers and cartridges to get you the same recoil. Light bullets in the big caliber/heavy bullets in the smaller caliber, move velocity with the smaller caliber/less velocity with the bigger caliber, etc...
With the gun you speak of, there's the issue of *what will make the gun operate properly* thrown in to the issue.

With as much cult following as there is with the Desert Eagle pistols, you should be able to find a forum somewhere on the world wide web that's crowded with Mag Reasearch enthusiasts who can answer this question in much more of a qualified fashion.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

.300 member

Re: 44 mag or 50 ae [Re: tinker]
      #51506 - 05/03/06 10:35 AM

thanks for the info

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #51512 - 05/03/06 11:13 AM

I'd go for the 44 mag. Gun dealer told me that the 50AE has very heavy recoil. A 44 mag in a DE would be a joy to shoot and still a great hunting cartridge.

B.

45 ACP Kimber MK II target.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: 44 mag or 50 ae [Re: bonanza]
      #51522 - 05/03/06 12:16 PM

The coolest way to go with the Desert Eagle is .357 magnum in the long barreled gun.
The big clanky autoloader soaks up nearly all the recoil, and the *hatches, catches, and latches* nature of the Desert Eagle schklanging away with the turnbolt action and those long slender cartridges is quite the entertaining spectacle.

For seriously fanny whacking energy out of a handgun my choice is the ten inch barreled Performance Center Hunter model of the S&W .500 Mag. The big revolver is in the same --not really handy at all-- class as the mag research rotary bolt semiauto, and recovery from the recoil is the limiting factor not the speed of the action when it comes to hot 44mag or 50cal pistol loads.
The Smith magnum in the X-frame gun is capable of incredible muzzle energy AND accuracy and it'll handle a very broad range of bullet weights up to 700grain solids down to sub 300grain plinkers.

just a thought...

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

bigdog
.375 member

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: Southern Illinois
      #61143 - 14/08/06 11:10 AM

The 50 will give off about 1600 ft.lbs with 300 grn. hollow points. This is quite a bit more than a regular 44 mag. The Desert Eagle 50 does kick quite a bit but it is totally shootable, due to its stiff action and 72 oz. weight. Thats alot heavier than most 44 mags, but it does tame the recoil, somewhat. The 325 grain solid is usually loaded to about 1400 ft.lbs of energy, and in my opinion, kicks a little bit less. If heavy recoil is a problem, you may want to shoot this load first.

--------------------
Kyle, I love you buddy, Dad

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: 44 mag or 50 ae [Re: bigdog]
      #83897 - 12/08/07 02:17 AM

I had a Desert Eagle in an alloy framed .44 mag, wish I still had it. As far as the .50 goes, I never got interested in it due th the ammo prices(about $1.75/round for something that the bulk of my shooting was at paper). As much as I'd like to shoot some of the larger Encores, my "big gun" mentality on handguns went the way of if a .44 mag won't kill it it's time for a .338 rifle-with a few exceptions of course.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #83900 - 12/08/07 02:26 AM

I would get the .44 mag--you will have a much greater selection of factory ammo--- places you can purchase it, and the model available in 44 mag is huge in comparison..

My friend John actually had a 50, he has since sold it--it was not a very fun gun to shoot simply because it did not fit my hand well..

If you reload you can really make the 44 mag smack something--or you might consider, as I suggested in another thread, the 460 Smith and Wesson.. you can shoot either the 460, 454 Casul or 45 Colt all in one gun-and the energy produced by the 460 versus the 50 AE is quite a bit superior..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #83949 - 12/08/07 11:26 PM

.303;

Ballisitically, 50 more powerful than .44.

But what purpose is intended for your purchase? i.e., What do you intend to do with the pistol? Have you handled a Desert Eagle?

Reason I ask is that while I am not a "handgun hunter" per se, I carry a pistol or revolver more-or-less daily, using it on targets of opportunity or stock shooting when we butcher. Thus I've shot dozens of sheep in addition to many dogs, coyotes, ground squirrels, grouse, the occaisional feral cat and one bear with a handgun. Funny thing; the older I get the smaller and lighter my handguns get. {Some would say I am breaking down under the collective and cumulative effects of age. I prefer to say I am continuously advancing due to time-acquired wisdom. }

Anyway, if you intend to carry the gun frequently and use your hands for anything else in the field, get a .44 revolver; a 4" Smith or 4 5/8 or 5 1/2" Ruger, for example. I latched on to a .44 Mag S&W Model 29-9 "Heritage" {light whippy 6.5" bbl overall size and weight similar to a .44 special 1926 Target} some years ago and it is a real favorite though most of my handgun shooting is admittedly done with automatic pistols {size, weight and need}. Anyway, for uses like mine, a smaller lighter revolver is the thing.

On the other hand, if for any reason {target/hunting/collecting} you have a thing for "crew-served" pistols, get the Desert Eagle.

Would be curious as to answers to the above and your decision.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 44 mag or 50 ae [Re: 9.3x57]
      #83968 - 13/08/07 03:36 AM

Given the same or similar weight of projectile, same velocity, the 'power' advantage on easily killed game is always with the larger bore size, although penetration might favour the smaller one, for harder to dispatch animals. There, the smaller bore might answer. As 9.3 asks, it depends on the 'task' one needs to answer.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Elephant_Man
.224 member

Reged: 02/10/07
Loc: Colorado, US
Re: 44 mag or 50 ae [Re: DarylS]
      #87363 - 18/10/07 01:16 PM

Well it kinda depends on what you want...I've shot all three

.50 AE: Very powerful, expensive ammo, lots of recoil but manageable

.44 mag: Very powerful (will kill anything the .50 AE will), large selection of cheaper ammo, a medium amopunt of recoil which is not bad at all to shoot.

.357 mag: not as powerful but powerful enough for almost anything, big selection of cheap ammo, hardly any recoil at all, will shoot very fast and accurate because of low recoil.

It all depends on what you want.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3027

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com