Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 1903 Mannlicher Schonauer 1903 w/ adj cheekpiece

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
nhdblfan
.300 member

Reged: 31/08/07
Loc: NH
1903 Mannlicher Schonauer 1903 w/ adj cheekpiece
      #86881 - 10/10/07 05:56 AM

Greetings all,
first post here,been lurking and enjoying for a bit and thought I would jump in.Mostly a shotgun collector but do "dabble" in other areas and like fine rifles.
I picked this up about a month ago and have done some reasearch but still interested in seeing if anyone else has a adjustable cheekpiece like this one.
A bit of what I know about the gun;
Its a 1903,born 1905 and probably shipped as a barreled action to a "Van Hafner" in Kessel Germany for custom work,stocking and engraving.Has a Krupp barrel with Van Hafner (retailer or custom smith?) Kessel.Has both German and Austrain proofs.The adjustabel cheekpiece,which usually is a detraction for me but I like this one,is operated by the switch on the bottom of stock, which has "G.M. 54" (perhaps Gebruder Merkel?),the fit and finish on the cheekpiece is very well done and the area that slides against the stock is lined by formed horn held in place by brass screws that are all aligned as well.
Has anyone every seen or own "G.M.54" cheekpiece rifle?
Also would be interested in any other info on Van Hefner if known.
Many thanks,
Dave (nhdblfan)

Edited by nhdblfan (21/05/08 12:18 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
Re: 1903 Mannlicher Schonauer 1903 w/ adj cheekpiece [Re: nhdblfan]
      #86887 - 10/10/07 08:53 AM

One of the finest custom 03's I have seen. Where did you find this one?

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #86902 - 10/10/07 04:38 PM

Now I've seen everything! Winding it down for the continental open-sight coup de gras would have slowed down the process. Highly collectable, though, for all that.

nhdblfan
.300 member

Re: 1903 Mannlicher Schonauer 1903 w/ adj cheekpiece [Re: Paul]
      #86920 - 10/10/07 09:48 PM

Hi Dons and Paul,
and thanks,pleased you like it.Here is another shot of the bottom metal work,like the adjustable cheekpiece,gold work usually does not do much for me but this was just enough to enjoy but not overwhelm I thought.The workmanship is excellent throughout,all the screws alined,fine checkering,general fit and finish,all top shelf.
Dons,
got lucky finding this one,one of only a few that are keepers in the collection,the rest can come and go.Would love to find who it was built for but suspect that will never be known as the records are long lost in the rubble of WW II no doubt.Have owned a few M/S's overs the years but only have this one and a 1908 shooter now.Can't stop buying them if I find neat pre war ones.
Paul,
I do have a claw mount,sans scope,that is not period but will work.need to find a proper Hensoldt for it I suspect.
Best,
Dave

Edited by nhdblfan (10/10/07 09:50 PM)

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #86932 - 11/10/07 12:36 AM

Dave:
You will be interested in this anecdote, from memory it was Aagard hunting with a friend in Africa. Said friend had a Mannlicher Schoenauer with double set triggers and a pop-up cheek-piece for the detachable scope. Aagard was close behind his friend as he stalked a large lion. Being close and ready to fire, the friend set the hair-trigger, then shouldered the rifle at which point he discovered that the cheek-piece was still down and he couldn't get a good sight-picture through the scope. He then pressed the button to pop up the cheek-piece, whereupon the rifle instantly discharged! The slight jarring of the cheek-piece as it popped into position was enough to release the sear. Luckily, the shot went harmlessly into the dirt, and even more luckily the startled lion decided to depart rather than fight!

Perhaps there's a lesson here for you too?

Marvellous rifle, by the way. I love the little 1903 carbine, they are such a delight to carry and shoot.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #86942 - 11/10/07 03:04 AM

Dave,

An absolute stunner! Just curious - what calibre is she?

Thanks for the pictures.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

nhdblfan
.300 member

Re: 1903 Mannlicher Schonauer 1903 w/ adj cheekpiece [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #86982 - 11/10/07 10:30 PM

Hi Mehul and Marrakai,
that you for the posts.
I will be sure to that story Marrakai if I ever get the cahnce to stand down and lion.Have always wanted to the the Africa trip,mostly for a Cape Buff.Fist I nedd a proper double rifle thou.Only a cape and few bolts in the collection so far,all the doubles are shotguns.
Mehul,
I still need to slug barrel and perhaps a chamber cast but all the 1903's where 6.5X54M/S or so I am told so I suspect thats it.I have,from a friend in Texas who sent them,a box of them and some brass and the ammo chambers fine.I always keep my eyes open for ammo when visiting the gun shops here in New England (New Hampshire).I picked up a old box of Western 8mm Mannlicher Shoenauer a couple weeks ago for my 1908.There is also a guy I deal with for all my non common stuff who custom handloads in Long Island NY,not cheap but great stuff.
http://www.safariarms.com/index1.htm will probably have him do a couple boxes for this 1903 too.Be fun to take her out and see if I can get one of those 200lbs+ Whitetails to let down thier guard that wander around here in the North woods,not many but they are there.
best,
Dave

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #87179 - 15/10/07 07:00 PM

Fascinating rifle. If the 6.5X54MS cartridge fits the magazine, then that is the rifle's original chambering. The magazine spool was made specific to each cartridge including the neck diameter & whould not feed any other round unless a guide spur was welded to the side of the mag. I have seen this action rebarreled to 243 & such modifications made to the mag. Also read about such mods for 7X57 etc. You could check out the Mannlicher Collectors Assn - http://discover-net.net/~kanotex/mannlicher/. Very knowledgable guys who will help.

I have 2 1903s - one is an original pre WW1 sporter with 24" barrel & in immaculate condition - re blued & stock refinished by someone in the past. Beautiful tiger striped walnut stock with perfect checkering. The 5 piece cleaning rod in the butt trap is unused & the wood inside is spotless. It has a peepsite fitted to the cocking piece & shoots well - I shot a deer with in in May (New Zealand is open season all year). The other is a 1930 Greek military carbine that was customised by an ammature - I am having it done by a pro now.

How do you put in the Photos? I am not able paste them in.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

Edited by NitroX (10/11/07 05:57 PM)

Collath_500BPE
.300 member

Reged: 30/08/06
Loc: Europe, Austria
      #87185 - 15/10/07 10:52 PM

Hi nhdblfan,
congratulation to your nice Mannlicher Schoenauer.Your rifle stock has been made much later than the steel work and is only similar to the original one.You can see the original form from my 8x60 S Magnum rifle.
regards from Austria Johann [image]http://[/image]

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #105725 - 21/05/08 06:32 AM

A beautiful rifle! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5003

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com