Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Custom Stock for Ruger Magnum Action?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Ulfhere
.224 member

Reged: 06/10/07
Loc: AL
Custom Stock for Ruger Magnum Action?
      #86671 - 06/10/07 05:39 AM

I have a Ruger M77 MkII Magnum (RSM) in 416 Rigby. I like the action and especially the barrel features, but the stock is a club. Its the worst designed stock I have ever held; ridiculously thick, with a wrist so cramped that I can't get my hand around it and a horrible flat bottomed fore arm.

What I want is a replacement stock, but I am having a difficult time finding anyone who does this action. Richards Microfit may carve it (maybe not), but on a different project they refused flatly to cut me a pattern so that I could see what it was like before I committed to carving an expensive blank. Having had a good deal of custom work done, let's just say that I don't operate on blind faith (anymore).

Great American made me a pattern blank for this action, but its literally a factory replacement in all its contours - not the English Classic Big Bore Express style that I ordered. Apart from these two I can't find anyone who will even do that action pattern.

Has anyone out there been down this road and arrived at a satisfying conclusion? Having a custom stockmaker carve a stock from a blank without any basic pattern carving or inletting is extremely expensive because of the extra labor involved. If it comes to that I will probably sell the rifle and buy a Brno.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Custom Stock for Ruger Magnum Action? [Re: Ulfhere]
      #86674 - 06/10/07 06:33 AM

One thing you could do is to take it to a smith who specializes in working on wood and have him slim it down to your specs, recut the checkering and refinish it. Might take about a pound or so off.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Ulfhere
.224 member

Re: Custom Stock for Ruger Magnum Action? [Re: 475Guy]
      #86677 - 06/10/07 07:14 AM

I am considering something along those lines for the one that GA made for me. My brother has a strong talent for stockmaking and has done two for me. He thinks it can be reshaped, the comb pushed back to lengthen the wrist, the fore arm rounded, and so forth. But what I really want is a true British express style with a pancake cheekpiece and a dropped heel. You can't achieve either of those things on the factory stock and while the GA stock has a pancake cheekpiece (they did add that for me) it is otherwise the same as the factory stock and basically a dead straight post-war classic stock.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Custom Stock for Ruger Magnum Action? [Re: Ulfhere]
      #86679 - 06/10/07 07:48 AM

Get in touch with the folks at www.serengetistockworks.com . Check out their website. They do very nice work. I had my 375 Ackley done up in their Merlin Stock, and I'm very satisfied.

Ulfhere
.224 member

Re: Custom Stock for Ruger Magnum Action? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #87193 - 15/10/07 11:48 PM

I looked at Serengeti and the closest that they come is their Lioness stock, but its not the old style pattern with a dropped heel, like the British and German makers used; its dead straight but lower. The Merlin is a modern classic style stock. Most of their designs have a reverse drop toward the comb.

Any other recommendations?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2229

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com