Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rigby (original) Vs Purdey, H&H and WR

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
Rigby (original) Vs Purdey, H&H and WR
      #86654 - 05/10/07 10:15 PM

Just a curiousity question

Leaving quality etc. aside and just considering how they are regarded as to class, desirability etc.

My current impression is that it would be Purdey then H&H then WR and with WR a few rungs down from Purdey and H&H.

Where would the pre USA Rigby fit.

Are there any European (or other) makers that would be regarded as equal to or higher on the ladder than WR.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Rigby (original) Vs Purdey, H&H and WR [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #86667 - 06/10/07 12:35 AM

Depends on where in the world you are. Purdey would be on top in the UK and Europe. Holland is better thought of here in the US than over there. Yes, Westley would be a few rungs down. Personally, I've always placed British Rigby well above Westley, and I think that may be the general view here in the US as well.

With regard to the Continental makers, no, I think Westley is on top with regard to market desireability, although I think LeBeau Courally has, on average, made better guns.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: Rigby (original) Vs Purdey, H&H and WR [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #86669 - 06/10/07 12:59 AM

Thanks for that.

One that I forgot to include.....Jeffery

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #86670 - 06/10/07 04:41 AM

The "Three Kings" of the London trade for rifles were Holland, Rigby, and Jeffery. Purdey continued to make superb rifles, but they weren't known for them in the 20th century the way the others were. Jeffery was certainly the leader in volume. The vast majority were severely plain, rugged boxlocks - working rifles, not "bests".

Overall, I think the market would rank them Purdey, Holland, Rigby, Westley, and Jeffery. For my own use with respect to the pre-war guns, I'd rank Rigby almost even with Holland. With regard to their typical boxlock DRs, I'd take a Jeffery in preference to a Westley every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Rigby (original) Vs Purdey, H&H and WR [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #87123 - 15/10/07 01:05 AM

Quote:

The "Three Kings" of the London trade for rifles were Holland, Rigby, and Jeffery. Purdey continued to make superb rifles, but they weren't known for them in the 20th century the way the others were. Jeffery was certainly the leader in volume. The vast majority were severely plain, rugged boxlocks - working rifles, not "bests".

Overall, I think the market would rank them Purdey, Holland, Rigby, Westley, and Jeffery. For my own use with respect to the pre-war guns, I'd rank Rigby almost even with Holland. With regard to their typical boxlock DRs, I'd take a Jeffery in preference to a Westley every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Hollands are not my first choice at all folks, there soft and don't hold up well compared to the other makers, I know, I have owned enough of them over 25 plus years. A pre-war Rigby imo burries a Holland in every aspect. Curious there's no mention of Alex Henry or Dan'l Fraser in your cut, both of which creme Jeffery's. To say that a patented Westley falls behind a Jeffery is rather poor advice imho. Anyone that has knowledge or experience with pre-war guns would certainly take a droplock WR over any Jeffery, even on Sunday my friends.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Rigby (original) Vs Purdey, H&H and WR [Re: ]
      #87176 - 15/10/07 06:13 PM

Great to hear this from knowledgable people. I once used a WR 280 on a beat shoot in India over 30 yrs ago. Its twin was a 476 - incredible rifles that handled like shotguns. I've also seen Mantons & Arm & Navey (made by whom?). I know a Manton with a family friend in his 80's - he shot a rogue tusker (elephant) & a tiger with that in 1960s. William Evans (of Purdy), Steven Grant etc. would be great names along with Woodward - you can still find some old black powder & nitro rifles around. They would rate along side H&H or Purdy as among the very best makers. See the Evans website - they still make DRs & they are similar price to the H&H or Purdy. Even Webly & Scott made high grade DRs. Daniel Fraser was known more for his single shots - the pinacle of hunting jewelry! Ross Seyfried's article were very informative. I wonder who he writes for now? I haven't seen him in Handloader or Rifle magazines for a year at least. Reading about the history of the Birmingham, London & Scottish gunmaking guilds of 70 to 100 years ago is fascinating & yet confusing. Several of the top artisans worked for more than one maker & often made guns with their own lables. Most of them were small craftsmen making a few guns a year. The end of WW2 say 500 makers reduced to 100 and by 1970 that was down to 10.
-------------
Always aim through a target & not at it.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Rigby (original) Vs Purdey, H&H and WR [Re: Nakihunter]
      #87198 - 16/10/07 12:46 AM

I have seen some pretty-well trashed pre-war Rigby doubles. One was mechanically trashed although the finish still looked pretty good.

Personally I would prefer a Purdey or a detachable sidelock H&H.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Rigby (original) Vs Purdey, H&H and WR [Re: 500grains]
      #87692 - 24/10/07 01:21 PM

Quote:

I have seen some pretty-well trashed pre-war Rigby doubles. One was mechanically trashed although the finish still looked pretty good.

Personally I would prefer a Purdey or a detachable sidelock H&H.

By trashed I assume you means used hard, which certainly makes good reason due to there popularity in Africa & Abroad. The pre-war Rigby SLE action design is the strongest in the trade, and they all shoot straight. The rising bite version is actually an over-kill, though incredible in every aspect in design and function.

I do like your idea of the Purdey though.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Rigby (original) Vs Purdey, H&H and WR [Re: ]
      #87704 - 24/10/07 05:49 PM

Hi guys
I found this site from one of the links I found here

http://www.cheshiregunroom.com/shop/inde...46c03bb9b1b6d6e

W.J Jeffery & Co .450 / .400 box lock non-ejector rifle.

24” krupp steel barrels with machined short raised rib and folding express leaf sights, ramp foresight dolls head extension the plain frame with traces of original engraving 14 ¾” figured stock with pistol grip & nitro proof.

£2750

The price looks cheap but the rifle also looks a bit rough. There are a few other DRs on the site.

I am starting to plan for owning an English big bore DR. Any suggestions will be appreciated as part of my education.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #87705 - 24/10/07 06:53 PM

"I am starting to plan for owning an English big bore DR. Any suggestions will be appreciated as part of my education."

Yes, for a start, stay well away from the dealer you listed above. He knows shit from clay about DR's and would sell you
a piece of Shit as a Purdey if he could.

He only got into DR's because he could see the deamnd for them.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #87710 - 24/10/07 08:01 PM

Not a peep about bore condition. Just about everything else can be fixed at a reasonable price, but stuffed bores means a stuffed rifle IMHO.

With good bores that would be a nice price for a working double, even if it needed retightening.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Rigby (original) Vs Purdey, H&H and WR [Re: Marrakai]
      #87715 - 24/10/07 10:00 PM

I think that came from one of the auction houses.

A mate of mine mentioned he "got it" and esposed
to him the virtues of the gun !!!

nitro476
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/04
      #88104 - 01/11/07 04:40 AM

Amen! The most accurate double I ever owned was a 470 Rigby boxlock. It would shoot right and left barrel touching at 60 yards. My 476 Westley was almost as good but my Holland was God awful with no where near the accuracy of the aforementioned. The H&H was a cased 465 Dominion grade sidelock that I am convinced was hexed. One any given day it would initially shoot right and left barrel about two inches apart at 60 yards. The next time out, it would shoot the identical load 6 to 8 inches apart. If you fired the left barrel first, it would double and knock the shit out of the shooter. I also had an H&H Royal shotgun that was very problematic as well. They were the last Hollands I would ever own. Give me a Rigby any day of the week.

1980E26
.300 member

Reged: 03/05/05
Loc: USA
      #88108 - 01/11/07 04:48 AM

Mike,

I would rank Lancaster & Rigby above WR anyday. Remember WR is a blasted hand me down Birmingham gun and will never stand equal to a London gun (in my book).

Corbin

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Rigby (original) Vs Purdey, H&H and WR [Re: 1980E26]
      #88112 - 01/11/07 05:20 AM

Quote:

Mike,

Remember WR is a blasted hand me down Birmingham gun and will never stand equal to a London gun (in my book).

Corbin

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 128 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3294

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com