Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Will this affect hunting companies too?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Will this affect hunting companies too?
      #86434 - 01/10/07 11:43 PM

Zimbabwe blacks might take control of white-owned firms

HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) -- Whites in Zimbabwe found themselves a step closer Thursday to losing control of their businesses to blacks under new government legislation.
art.zimbabwe.afp.gi.jpg

The legislation has yet to be approved by the ruling party and signed into law by Robert Mugabe.

The ruling ZANU-PF party in the Parliament in Harare approved the Indigenization and Economic Empowerment Bill on Wednesday night. The proposed law calls for whites to hand over 51 percent of their business interests to blacks.

Opposition lawmakers walked out of the late parliament sitting during acrimonious debate, saying the bill was racist, unconstitutional and against accepted principles of equality.

The legislation has yet to be approved by the ruling party-dominated upper house, or Senate, and signed into law by President Robert Mugabe, its main architect. Those formalities are expected to be completed within a month, parliament officials said. Legal formalities afterward could take months.

The step recalled the government's order in 2000 that more than 5,000 white-owned commercial farms be seized -- in some cases, amid violence -- and handed over to blacks. The agriculture-based economy of the former regional breadbasket went into free fall after land redistribution began. The nation is now facing chronic shortages of food, basic goods and gasoline.

The move on white businesses "is scary. It's the farms all over again. What next, our homes?" said the white owner of a small engineering firm. He spoke on condition of anonymity out of fear of drawing the attention of a government that has jailed and beaten critics.

"Keep me out of this or I'll be the first on the list. I'd be out of here if I could," said the Zimbabwe-born businessman. He said he was looking for a black partner for the family firm but "it breaks my heart. I spent my life building the business for my kids and keeping it in the family. It was my pension plan."
Don't Miss

* Mugabe critic quits over sex claim
* U.S. food maker Heinz pulls out of Zimbabwe
* Zimbabwean dissident urges world to lean on 'stubborn' Mugabe
* Zimbabwe opposition says detainees mistreated

On Tuesday, Paul Mangwana, the minister in charge of black empowerment, said only whites "disadvantaged by the colonial system" before independence in 1980 were defined under the bill as "indigenous" Zimbabweans who would be allowed to keep majority control of businesses.

"The bill is not about economics, but politics. It is about the total liberation of Zimbabwe," he told a panel of lawmakers Tuesday. "All blacks fall within the definition of indigenous."

In the parliament Wednesday, he dismissed accusations the legislation was racist. He said the wording deliberately avoided use of the words "white" or "black."

Like the farm takeovers, the bill was to correct colonial era imbalances in business ownership by the white minority, the official media quoted Mangwana saying.

"If a white person wants to start a business he should partner with indigenous persons. We are not stopping anyone from starting a business. It is not racism to correct wrong things," he said.

Lawyers said whites who argued they were disadvantaged or discriminated against under colonial era white rule so as to qualify as indigenous were unlikely to win any court challenges to keep their businesses.

Since independence, white political activists and even conscientious objectors who refused to fight against black guerrillas in the bush war that ended white rule have not been favored in citizenship cases.

An estimated 30,000 whites still live in the population of 12.5 million, down from about 275,000 at independence.

The state central bank reported earlier this year a fivefold drop in foreign direct investment and loans in the crumbling economy since 2000, with concerns over the farm seizures, ownership rights and human and democratic rights violations being mainly cited by foreign businesses and financial institutions.

In the economic meltdown, official inflation stands at nearly 7,000 percent, the highest in the world. Independent estimates put real inflation closer to 25,000 percent and the International Monetary Fund has forecast it reaching 100,000 percent by the end of the year.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Will this affect hunting companies too? [Re: 500grains]
      #86435 - 01/10/07 11:44 PM

Quote:

... inflation stands at nearly 7,000 percent, ... and the International Monetary Fund has forecast it reaching 100,000 percent by the end of the year.

butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
Re: Will this affect hunting companies too? [Re: 500grains]
      #86439 - 02/10/07 04:12 AM

and to think that with all this evidence RSA's pres. thinks uncle bob is great.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Will this affect hunting companies too? [Re: butchloc]
      #86440 - 02/10/07 04:30 AM

stupid is as stupid does...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Will this affect hunting companies too? [Re: butchloc]
      #86445 - 02/10/07 04:59 AM

Quote:

and to think that with all this evidence RSA's pres. thinks uncle bob is great.

Not only Mbeki, but several other neighboring countries presidents too. They're a bunch of hypocritical, greedy bastards.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Will this affect hunting companies too? [Re: Ripp]
      #86446 - 02/10/07 05:02 AM

And yes, I think such a law would negatively affect Zim based hunting businesses.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Will this affect hunting companies too? [Re: EricD]
      #86459 - 02/10/07 12:44 PM

Surely soon someone will give Uncle Bob a bullet as a gift?

But maybe all these 'takeovers' are a continuation of buying support?

The little that works in that country now will rapidly fall apart.

Also my guess is the safari industry would be the key target.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Will this affect hunting companies too? [Re: NitroX]
      #86494 - 03/10/07 01:45 AM

IMO it seems as though the country has, for some ungodly reason, decided to flush itself down the toilet. A terrible shame for such a beautiful country.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Will this affect hunting companies too? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #86522 - 03/10/07 03:24 PM

One thing to remember. A lot of the big safari outfitters in Zim already have 'black' partners and shareholders. Maybe not 51% though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Will this affect hunting companies too? [Re: NitroX]
      #86574 - 04/10/07 06:05 AM

As I have a hunt booked there for next spring I called Chifuti Safaries yesterday and they said they felt "comfortable" at this time as to what is being proposed.. not sure what that means exactely.. but nothing had changed from their perspective at this point---so I bought my plane tickets today...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Will this affect hunting companies too? [Re: Ripp]
      #86614 - 04/10/07 09:55 PM

EricD,dont include Botswana in that group of neighbors.
They are a country going places.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1617

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com