Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Searcy 375 on BSS frame?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Searcy 375 on BSS frame?
      #8413 - 07/02/04 04:56 PM

I am considering buying a Searcy in 375 FM on a BSS frame. Is this asking for trouble?

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Searcy 375 on BSS frame? [Re: luv2safari]
      #8464 - 08/02/04 09:06 AM

I doubt that you could make a mistake as to buying any of Butch Searcy's rifles. If there was a problem, it would have surfaced long ago. Remember now, he started with the BSS's before he made up rifles with his own frames and locks. The only problem might with the rimless cartridge is that the extractors might not catch the base of the cartridge when extracting your empties. Maybe you could shoot it a couple of times and function test it.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #8465 - 08/02/04 09:10 AM

Sorry about that, I didn't see the FM on the post. You should have no problems. Years ago, when I was shopping around, I got to shoot a couple early Searcy's and they shot and operated fine.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #8476 - 08/02/04 12:52 PM

Luv2safari, there is a Searcy 470NE built on a BSS action that has had over 1000 rounds fired through it by the origenal owner, and it is still on face, and tight! Those actions were re-heat treated, and had a third fastener added,and the first one were single selective trigger models, but shortly they were changed to double triggers! Those rifles are still very good working rifles, if they have not been abused! If the price is right and it is in good shape, I'd jump on it!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Searcy 375 on BSS frame? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #8497 - 08/02/04 06:02 PM

I am a bit concerned, as this one is a single trigger. Are the single triggers in the BSS action inertia or mechanical varieties. An enertia trigger would scare the crap out of me...mis-fire in #1 = no fire in #2!!!...until I drop the gun and run like hell!!

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #8509 - 08/02/04 11:30 PM

In reply to:

Are the single triggers in the BSS action enertia or mechanical varieties.

Luv2,
I don't know much about BSS shotgun actions but an old Gun Digest I have suggests the single trigger was mechanical.

In reply to:

I am a bit concerned, as this one is a single trigger.

I guess a lot depends on weather you intend taking the rifle after DG, how dependable the BSS single trigger system is, considering that it is now dealing with rifle rather than shotgun recoil, and weather you can use a single trigger double rifle ok.
Some, like Nitro X, has trouble with pulling the wrong bits!

In reply to:

An enertia trigger would scare the crap out of me...mis-fire in #1 = no fire in #2!!!...until I drop the gun and run like hell!!

I've done quite a lot of shooting with single trigger doubles and my experience with them has been very good.
I have an O/U double rifle with a single inertia trigger that has fired a lot of rounds (many hundreds) and has never had any problem whatsoever as far as the trigger is concerned.
Incidently, with an inertia trigger double, if you have a misfire in #1, you can still fire #2 if you have time and so long as you know the "trick".

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Searcy 375 on BSS frame? [Re: 4seventy]
      #8520 - 09/02/04 03:42 AM

In reply to:

Incidently, with an inertia trigger double, if you have a misfire in #1, you can still fire #2 if you have time and so long as you know the "trick".

The trick is to thump the butt on the ground. Not necessarily a grand idea with a loaded rifle, particularly when something large with bad breadth is coming to visit. You can also try to thump the butt with your hand and it may or not work but is awkward.

Have you seen this rifle in person? It is not like one of your German Drillings.

If the price is right though it may be fun.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#8521 - 09/02/04 03:50 AM

In reply to:

I did not know this rifle was a single trigger model, and that changes the whole deal, IMO! The single trigger is a worse feature than the rimless cartridge extration problem!

First I will never own a single trigger double rifle, and CERTAINLY, not an inertia cocked second barrel, even on a shotgun! The trick is to slam the rifle butt down on something to "SET" the second tumbler, in case of a missfire on the first barrel. I would rather hunt with a singleshot that I knew, up front, is a single shot! The whole idea of a double rifle is that it is two indipendant rifles on the same stock, the single trigger takes that distinction away, and changes a very dependable rifle into a "MAY WORK" rifle! NOT FOR ME!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Edited by DUGABOY1 (09/02/04 03:56 AM)

luv2safari
.400 member

#8529 - 09/02/04 05:45 AM

I'm well aware of the "trick", as I grew up using a Superposed 20 gauge. The trick is to have a gun that doesn't need thumping to keep in the game. I once saw my dad's hunting partner demonstrate the thump...broke to toe right off his Diana 28 gauge. Browning didn't cover that screw up on his part under warranty.

If the BSS has a mechanical SS trigger, I wouldn't worry about the rifle. I do intend to use it on buffalo...will be taking two more in Sept/Oct. Not with the BSS Searcy if it has an inertial trigger. I would be quite pleased to have one of his rifles, and this one fits the budget.

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

#8543 - 09/02/04 10:21 AM

Thumping the rifle on the ground is indeed one "method" of getting the second barrel to fire on a single inertia trigger gun but I would certainly not call it a "trick"!

I have a O/U rifle which has a single inertia trigger and in the event of a misfire with #1, if you really do know the "trick", you can fire #2 without thumping anything!
I guess I should add that in a lot of shooting with that gun I have never had a misfire in either barrel!

Edited by 4seventy (09/02/04 10:58 AM)

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Searcy 375 on BSS frame? [Re: mickey]
      #8573 - 09/02/04 10:51 PM

In reply to:

The trick is to thump the butt on the ground. Not necessarily a grand idea with a loaded rifle

Mick, yeah, I totally agree that it would be a rather unsafe practice in more ways than one, but with the inertia trigger on my gun you don't need to do that.

In reply to:

First I will never own a single trigger double rifle, and CERTAINLY, not an inertia cocked second barrel.............. I would rather hunt with a singleshot that I knew, up front, is a single shot!

Mac,
I'll bet you right now that if you had a misfire with that single shot and I had a misfire at the same time in the first barrel of my inertia single trigger double that I'd be able to fire my doubles second barrel before you could even extract the misfired case from your single shot!

mickey
.416 member

#8575 - 10/02/04 01:29 AM

Okay, I'll be the one to bite. What's the secret?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #8590 - 10/02/04 06:20 AM

I wouldn't worry about a single trigger on a double rifle, but if it bothered me I would get Lee to install a set of double triggers for a couple of bills....

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Searcy 375 on BSS frame? [Re: atkinson6]
      #8595 - 10/02/04 06:32 AM

A couple of hundred bucks doesn't scare me. Its the 2-3 year wait for the job getting done that does...not that Lee is busy.

Maybe I'll find out what trigger set up is in there right now.

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

#8606 - 10/02/04 10:51 AM

In reply to:

Okay, I'll be the one to bite. What's the secret?

This "trick" might not work on every inertia trigger system but it does work on mine.
You simply pull the safety catch back to safe poition and then slip it straight back to fire and bingo, pull the trigger and fire the second barrel.
Actually it only takes a fraction of a second longer to do than it takes to shift your finger to a second trigger on a two trigger gun!

The single trigger system is not as much of a problem as many people think.
It is actually a myth that inertia trigger systems require recoil to cock the tumbler for the second barrel.
Inertia trigger systems (that I've used) cock both barrels when you break the gun open just the same way as a two trigger gun or a single mechanical trigger gun does!

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #8608 - 10/02/04 11:06 AM

4seventy
I just tried your technique on my Browning O/U Citori [which has an inertia trigger mechanism] and it works fine.
It does not make any difference which bbl is fired first, when I put the safety on then off the other bbl will fire.

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Searcy 375 on BSS frame? [Re: NE450No2]
      #8614 - 10/02/04 01:07 PM

Well, this one is out. It turns out to be a 375 H&H belted , and not a 375 FM. The search continues. I'm not hard to please...I want an expensive DR-cheap...a perfect gun at a "beater" price!

Why is this taking so long???

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

#8619 - 10/02/04 01:50 PM

luv2,
Do you mind if I ask the price?

mickey,
If it's real cheap please buy it pronto, and bring it out to OZ for me to play with when you come over in August.

luv2safari
.400 member

#8621 - 10/02/04 01:54 PM

Asking $6K...

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

#8622 - 10/02/04 02:01 PM

Ahhh, 6k, I think I'll have to pass on that one.
mickey, better bring something else like a 577 Thys or similar.

mickey
.416 member

#8624 - 10/02/04 03:02 PM

4seventy

That's more the $6000 too. I do plan to bring my 450 3 1/4 and my 9.3x74R though.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#8646 - 11/02/04 02:25 AM

Luv2, if you have the $6K now, Id get Butch to build me a PH model, pay the $6K now, and take the next 7 month wait to dig up the the other $3.5K, and be done with it! Hell you can't even buy a decent used car for $10K, and that rifle will give you a lot more pleasure, for a lot longer, than a junk car, I assure you!

http://www.searcyent.com/fieldgrade.htm

--------------------

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Searcy 375 on BSS frame? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #8649 - 11/02/04 02:38 AM

I was weak I bought a Sauer drilling in 12/12/30-06 with 6x Nickel Supra scope instead. I'll have to settle for my magazine rifles for now...but a Searcy will be on the agenda soon.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4485

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com