Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: nigeria

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
nigeria
      #86272 - 27/09/07 11:02 PM

okay one of my buisness partners want me to go with him to nigeria on a combined buisness and hunting trip, the buisness part i need no help with.
BUT i have been searching like a madman on the net and nobody offers nigeria, this will be a goverment arrangede hunting trip but im getting a little worried when nobody else seems to be offering hunts there.

any and all comments or expirence will be helpfull

peter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JohnTheGreek
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/04
Loc: Cairo, Egypt
Re: nigeria [Re: peter]
      #86274 - 27/09/07 11:39 PM

I also have no idea if anyone operates in Nigeria. I seriously doubt it and think it really speaks volumes when operators who can do business in countries like Zim won't touch an area for whatever reason (like Nigeria or even Egypt for that matter). That said, I would DEFINITELY go on this trip! Just like if the Egyptian Minister of Environment invited me to hunt Crocodiles on Lake Nasser, I'd be there even though there is no formal process of licensing. If I were in your shoes, I would first get online and find out what species exist in the area you will be hunting. Then I'd do some research as to the populations and decide which species your ethical barometer will allow you to pursue. Then you might make sure you can get horns and skulls and dried hides legally imported to Denmark from Nigeria. IMHO, if you are content with photos, you needn't worry about anything more than whether or not the species in question exist in locally sustainable numbers. You will have to do some research though to make sure your potential actions are in keeping with sustainability in the local populations. Something tells me, Nigeria's game department isn't too big on collecting that data. You might also be wise to make it clear to your hosts that you only wish to hunt certain species and not others. If you do not do this, as an extreme example, you might find yourself in an uncomfortable situation where you risk insulting them by not accepting their gift of say...a gorilla trophy. You don't want to find yourself socially pressured into hunting any animal that way and, if your hosts wish to honor you, it could theoretically happen to a lesser degree.

JMHO,

John

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: nigeria [Re: JohnTheGreek]
      #86341 - 29/09/07 01:30 AM

Nigeria has probably been mostly a no go hunting destination due to the crime rate of the place.

I've heard stories of the place, like where a white hit a black kid on the road with his car, and a couple of other white visitors in a taxi were told by the driver to hide else the mob would pull them up and kill them as well for being white. They survived to tell the story (told to me by an ex-pat whom had to flee the country one night).

The usual muggings, con men, kidnapping type stories. An Aussie was recently kidnapped there if I remember it rightly.

A country with a sizable population too. Lots of deforestation and poaching and trade in bush meat.

Wouldn't stop me from going though especially if the hunting was being organised by the government. Good luck. Promises to be a different adventure.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: nigeria [Re: NitroX]
      #86347 - 29/09/07 04:21 AM

What an adventure that will be. I would definitely go if I were in your shoes. That said, I would make sure that I had my subscription to Global Rescue paid up.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: nigeria [Re: bulldog563]
      #86350 - 29/09/07 05:34 AM

Peter,

Do you know where in Nigeria you will be going? There is a big difference between the security in region around Lagos, compared to up in the northeast for example. I haven't been to Nigeria myself, although I've been on their northern border where met quite a few Nigerians. They were generally helpful and friendly. We even had a visa to Nigeria that we got while in Ghana, but didn't end up using it as we drove a different route. We later regretted not having spent a bit of time in Nigeria when we were so close. Several people I know though have traveled there extensively on their own, with no problems whatsoever. But there are (or at least were) check points (road blocks) virtually ever 5 km throughout the whole country. Some maned by official personnel, and some by not so official personnel. It's just part of the interesting challenge of west Africa.

You might want to do a search on this forum to see if there is any up to date info (not hunting related, but in regards to security and in general) http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/sub-saharan-africa/

I personally would go without a seconds hesitation. If the govt is involved, things will probably go pretty smoothly, and it will be an adventure no matter what happens.

If you wish, I can come with you to deal with the check points and other African bureaucracy.

Erik

peter
removed

Re: nigeria [Re: EricD]
      #86355 - 29/09/07 07:20 AM

apparently we will be the guests of the president while we are there. the hunting will take place in the game reserves and the game wardens will be guides. the transport to and from the sites will be in helicoptor aka gunships so i think the safety will be as good as can be hoped for.
i have asked for animal lists that tells wich species can be hunted so we can put together a wish list. im really hung up on cats so lion, leopard and of course buffelo, but again lets see what this brings since my friend says that the power changes happen fast and furious down there.

but i have desided to take the chance because that would be one of those chances that i would hate myself for not taking.

thank you very much for your input and advice, it means a lot to me

peter

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#86362 - 29/09/07 12:38 PM

Peter,

Looking forward to the information you get with anticipation. The species list will be interesting. I think it will be a different experience from what a safari usually is, with "Presidential Licence" and hopefully some good hunting. I'm excited that you are going!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
      #86369 - 29/09/07 02:28 PM

If you need a gun bearer let me know..... Hell, I will even supply the guns (double rifle included of course)!!

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
Re: nigeria [Re: bulldog563]
      #86728 - 07/10/07 12:40 PM

Nigeria is considered one of the most corrupt countries in the world. Note where most of the computer scams originate. You have a great opportunity to hunt as the guest of the president...unless HE'S fleecing you!!!!!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: nigeria [Re: A10ACN]
      #86731 - 07/10/07 02:08 PM

Quote:

Nigeria is considered one of the most corrupt countries in the world. Note where most of the computer scams originate. You have a great opportunity to hunt as the guest of the president...unless HE'S fleecing you!!!!!

... and Dubai is right up there too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #86735 - 07/10/07 04:41 PM

Nitrox,I have heard about Nigeria,in fact every second day I get an e-mail regarding recovery of millions of dollars if I were to cooperate but I have not heard anything about Dubai.I'm interested because I visit Dubai a lot on business and would like to be well infomed.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: nigeria [Re: iqbal]
      #86760 - 08/10/07 05:09 AM

This is off topic, but I found the Saudi Arabian Muttawa website and would like to reply to some of these Nigerians who e-mail me everyday with their phone numbers. I'd love to see the Saudis set a trap up for the scumbags, lure them to their country and then chop their hands off for thievery on a Friday.

If someone here knows Arabic and could read their numerals, please let me know and I'll be grateful for the numbers on the website.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

peter
removed

Re: nigeria [Re: A10ACN]
      #86761 - 08/10/07 05:25 AM

Quote:

they might try to fleece my buisness partner, but then again not. they need him alot more than he needs them.
regarding corruption you find it everywhere on the planet incl the vestern countries, i dont mind it at all, as long as you get what you pay for. Then it is just another buisness expence and if you invest in something without knowing every aspect of the deal including who to bribe. then it is gambling and you should try lotto instead.
i consider bribes as natural a thing as a tip for good work done, as long as the work gets done at the speed that satysfies you then who cares. Now if people try to force you to bribe them, then bribe the boss instead and tell him about the bad service that almost made you go elsewhere. stand back and wacht the fleecing in person. it is a game, a game of greed but non the less a game.

peter

lapua
.333 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Australia
      #86766 - 08/10/07 07:52 AM

peter ... mate I get to ask to go there all the time though I work time to time in west africa I will NOT work in nigeria full stop because I know how unstable it is. I had a chap on my crew last month from the north of nigeria and he told me it's fine(in the north) as long as you hang out without with the right people .... the main area's to adviod is the oil rich areas of the south but it sounds you are well connected with your lot so I would go for it since you are going north .

Beware whites are targets.hope this helps.

ps I work in Oil and Gas.

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: nigeria [Re: iqbal]
      #86771 - 08/10/07 09:43 AM

Quote:

Nitrox,I have heard about Nigeria,in fact every second day I get an e-mail regarding recovery of millions of dollars if I were to cooperate but I have not heard anything about Dubai.I'm interested because I visit Dubai a lot on business and would like to be well infomed.

Iqbal

Not wanting to take this off-topic but there have been clear examples of email/internet/so-called "Nigerian" scams being followed up to Dubai. At least a couple of investigations of fraud have led to Dubai.

Others of course lead to Nigeria. As mentioned an Aussie man was kidnapped there. I believe he went there as part of a con/scam or to try to find his money and ended up being kidnapped.

Can't believe people are still falling for these scams. They must live under a mushroom.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #86777 - 08/10/07 10:44 AM

They must live under a mushroom.

Or elese they're eating those "magic mushrooms".

DDouble
.300 member

Reged: 17/02/06
Loc: Brazil
Re: nigeria [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #86780 - 08/10/07 11:15 AM

I have had a couple friends who are university professors and went to Nigeria.

The road blocks are everywhere.

The corruption is amazing. One friend said that inside the airport, before entering the country an "official" said he had to pay 400 dollars in taxes to enter the country with all the cameras, lenses, videocamera, etc. After a short talk he gave the guy 20 dollars. Two hours latter in a roadblock the "soldiers" said he would have to pay taxes on his camera equipment...

The united nations FAO has a house (compound with 25 feet walls) near the airport so that no visitors (researchers, university professors and other invited guests, etc) will travel at night.

--------------------
Ddouble

DDouble
.300 member

Reged: 17/02/06
Loc: Brazil
Re: nigeria [Re: DDouble]
      #86785 - 08/10/07 01:06 PM

sorry, will NOT travel at night.

--------------------
Ddouble

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2973

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com