Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My Arnhem land Hunt Sept 2007

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunt Reports

Pages: 1
lapua
.333 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Australia
My Arnhem land Hunt Sept 2007
      #86064 - 22/09/07 02:35 PM

Arnhem land what can I say ! Very special place to vist and hunt like no other place on earth full stop.

Arrived Darwin for an over night stop , was met at the airport by the PH (G.W.) Had dinner that night with out going clients that had hunted for a week in the same camp in cullen bay seaside area of Darwin , top stop for a bite not a late night because we had a early start next morning for the drive in (12 hrs.I requested to do this because I had the time). As we got into Arnhem land we saw plenty of Buffalo many had young ,that was a healthy sign indeed there I am thinking this will be a easy hunt ? Well I was to be proven wrong story coming up later.

The track in was quite good because the tracks are graded now and then we arrived after sunset to a remote camp site(tented) on a small river system well off the track , good idea I thought got my gear sorted and off to bed for a 0530 hrs wake up.The weather was warm during the day but one could cope well if not from this part of this world though the days where long and you had to cover a lot of ground to seek out the lonely prized bulls to do the hunt in good steed, it was good there was no bloody flies to piss one off ! For open fair game hunting in Arnhem land you do need moderate level of fitness and good well worn in boots(not old ones as the other client out did and his soles fell off hehehe) don't be a tight ass buy a good make or you will suffer.

The land layout was diverse and interesting for me because of the large dry mud flats tall dry grasses small fresh water river systems and rolling hills and patches of thick bush which can only truely seen by the long walks.The wind directions where much in our favour though it can change or drop quickly so you have to be on the ball as these animals will pick your scent quick smart and off they go before you even see them. One of the best treats on the hunt was after spoting a bull using good bush skills getting in realy close and carefuly laying down in the grass and calling them over(bush trick) and they do come in very close .. like with in 5 mtrs no bull ! Just amazing no problem taking photo's while your at it !

I passed a couple good bulls on the 1st and 2nd day ,just window shopping until I was happy what was around,then on the 3rd day mid morning after walikng 7km's plus we stalk this bull but he was not alone his was with a small herd of cow's and young but there was a problem the bloody wild horses three of them young chestnut in colour.. shit this will stuff things up so the PH and I had to lay low for a bit to discuss the "plan" so now and then we glassed the bull but the bloody horses had moved in with buffalo herd.. great... ! Now the wind had change direction and we where very close of giving our position away,lucky we had a small dry creek to move up on and at this stage the big old boy had moved into higher grass up and over a small rise .. dam so we moved in closer still being aware that the wind was doing us no favours.
In no time I managed to get a good sight picture of the bull side on thumbs went up for a off hand shot plently of open area for follow up shots .... S&B cross high on for a good shoulder shot... steady steady ... booom ...booom
the Sauer 202 TD .375H&H went off , bolt doing it's thing wonderfuly as the 300 grn PP did it's job .... off he ran down the rest of the slope ,last shot (FMJ)a texas ranger shot droped him and off we ran,the PH doing his make safe procedure with his 500 Jeffrey as we got closer to my prized buff... then big smiles and hand shakes "well done mate" The 300grn bullets had done it's job well ,lung/heart/lung penatration heaps of torential haemorrhaging gee it would have been nice to have a very cold beer or 2 then and there I thought ,to share the moment.There is more to this hunt trip like any other which I will not go into but would be willing to share if one was to ask.Till next time happy hunting.

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  HuntReports, NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2622

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com