Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ruger no 1 Tropical - large calibres

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
Ruger no 1 Tropical - large calibres
      #86 - 29/12/02 01:18 PM

Does anyone here have any experience with the Ruger no. 1 rifle?

And specifically can the "Tropical" rifle be re-barrelled to a large calibre - say a 577 NE or a 600 NE? What would be involved?

Thanks

Nitro

Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

Have 1 in 4570 and 1 in 2506,I also have H&R's in the same cal and the H&R out shoot the rugers .Not sure if it could be done .Maybe at the custom shop i understand they have

Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

I have a No. 1 in 416 Rigby, and I think this is all the cartridge you need. I'm a big fan of the 416 and the No.1. I'm left handed, and can reload it as fast or faster than I can a bolt action for a right handed person.

Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

Redbeard and Jere

I like the styling of the No. 1s as they have some of the old Farqhuarson look.

There is a custom shop in the US that brings them out in 577 NE and also a wildcat cartridge in .600 based on the 577. But I have been told that re-boring the barrels is unwise in a calibre larger than .500. So these would be re-barrel jobs.

I know people have re-bored them to .470 and .500 NE with success but some models have some problems with screw holes on the rear sights I believe getting in the way.

The simplest one to modify it to would be a .450 NE No. 2 or a 500/.450 NE 3 1/4. I think all this would require is to be rechambered and perhaps modifying the extractor if the original is a .458 Win Mag. But I will wait and see if something larger can be done.

Jere - a lot of single shot shooters become very proficient with their rifles as they impose discipline. But as for "need", that's not an issue for this project. I probably wouldn't use a large bore single shot for dangerous game. If I purchased a double this would be the best, but a few too many $$$$ requiredare in the way at this moment. And heck those $$$$ would buy a very nice DG hunt. So I would use a good bolt action. That is my priority project in July/August anyway. Sourcing a nice CZ550 and modifying it to a .458 Lott.

The single shot will be for "fun". And I would like to have one in a nice large Nitro Express cartridge for shooting big bore target competition and also assorted "varmints". Such as donkeys, camels, perhaps a water buff if I am lucky. "Just for fun". And I think a .577 goes well with a single shot.

Nitro

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2579

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com