Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Suggestions on action choice.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
abosely
.275 member

Reged: 23/03/07
Loc: Big Island Hawaii US
Suggestions on action choice.
      #85720 - 16/09/07 06:33 AM

Some help please on choosing which action to use.

We are building a .275 Rigby looking/styled 7x57 rifle for my wife. Long throated to shoot 175gn bullets in the 2600 to 2700 fps range. This will be her PG rifle.Actually probably her everything rifle!

I was planning on using the 1909 Argentine action. But the more I think about it, I have a very clean Small ring 1910 Mexican. It would weigh about the same but would look very trim, the barrel shank could be a bit smaller that would save some weight.It will have a slender 25" LW barrel.

So, 2 questions:
1. Will the 3.118 Mexican box be long enough to fit long COL 175gn loads to get the desired velocity?
2. Which would build up to look more like a .275 Rigby a Small Ring 1910 Mexican or the Large Ring 1909 Argentine?

Of course the barrel will be stamped .275 Rigby!

Allen

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Suggestions on action choice. [Re: abosely]
      #85723 - 16/09/07 07:17 AM

Quote:

Some help please on choosing which action to use.

We are building a .275 Rigby looking/styled 7x57 rifle for my wife. Long throated to shoot 175gn bullets in the 2600 to 2700 fps range. This will be her PG rifle.Actually probably her everything rifle!

I was planning on using the 1909 Argentine action. But the more I think about it, I have a very clean Small ring 1910 Mexican. It would weigh about the same but would look very trim, the barrel shank could be a bit smaller that would save some weight.It will have a slender 25" LW barrel.

So, 2 questions:
1. Will the 3.118 Mexican box be long enough to fit long COL 175gn loads to get the desired velocity?
2. Which would build up to look more like a .275 Rigby a Small Ring 1910 Mexican or the Large Ring 1909 Argentine?

Of course the barrel will be stamped .275 Rigby!

Allen

The finest action IMO would ofcouse be a original Oberndorf M98 of the intermediate length used by John Rigby...however that will take some time, and we don`t live forever, so the next action would be a regular normal length action of either Oberndorf or DWM will do.

I don`t know how historical correct the project should turn out, but a salvaged Mannlicher schoenauer action would suit the project too.

I have may not answered your question 100%, but of your suggestions the argentino action(DWM), which is intermediate length, would settle too if thats what you have on hand. Donīt know about the mexi...would never have to look for one, so long a good Mauser or DWM action can be found within resonable time.
LW makes the E-style contoured barrel which was the original style of that period, which will suit a 6-6.5" forend very nicely.
A 175 grain roundnosed bullet in the 2400-2500 Ft/sec range would be very delightfull and light recoilling in a 7-7 1/4 Ibs sporter.
If i lived up there where you lived this guy would make my rifle..
http://www.nlheineke.com/

Edited by rigbymauser (16/09/07 07:22 AM)

abosely
.275 member

Re: Suggestions on action choice. [Re: rigbymauser]
      #85726 - 16/09/07 07:41 AM

rigbymauser, the Mexican Small Ring Mauser is an intermediate length and the 1909 Argentine Mauser is a standard length DWM made action.

And as a matter of fact we are using a LW #5130 type E barrel scaled to 7mm the barrel shank will be scaled for the 1.300 dia.front ring of the 1910 Mex or the 1.410 dia. of the 1909 Argi front ring.

Allen

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #85743 - 16/09/07 12:05 PM

My 7x57 is on a 1909 and was built by Clayton Nelson. It is a trim light weight nice little gun that performs way beyond it's looks. The barrel is a nice 22" and the gun weighs exactly 7 lbs less scope.It has a custom folding front sight and a folding single leaf on a custom pedastal rear. Bolt handle is straight and checkered and it has a Neidner checkered buttplate. Ebony forearm tip and steel grip cap. Bases are custom for Talley rings. It was built specifically to shoot 175gr Nosler Partitions which it does regularly into less than a 1/2" for three shots. Barrel heats up fast and there is slight movement then but never over 1". Stock is a very dark slab sawn piece that was picked strictly for it's dark color as I prefer dark wood. Checkering is outstanding with Mullered borders. The bottom metal is the original 09 with reshaped guard and release. It's the first custom I ever ordered and Clayton is an old friend and classmate and he did an absolutely beautiful job as usual. It was my plains game rifle on my last trip to Africa and acquitted itself very well on Kudu (several) out to 250yds and a couple of Impala for camp meat. Mine is nothing like the English pattern rifle as I really dislike the long barrels and abbreviated forearms they use on their rifles. Each to his own likes of course. I much prefer the traditional American style.

abosely
.275 member

Re: Suggestions on action choice. [Re: zimhunter]
      #85749 - 16/09/07 02:22 PM

zimhunter, your rifle sounds very nice.
What is the COL of your 7x57 rounds?

Allen

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #85770 - 17/09/07 01:18 AM

I load everything to book loads and dimensions. My load for the 175 gr Nosler Partition is 44grs of IMR4350 for about 2500fps (I don't use a chronograph) just load from the book. The Kudu don't seem to mind and I lose very little game. I try for an accurate load somewhere below max. Have been using IMR4350 and Nosler Partitions on almost everything I shoot for over 50 years with good success so why experiment. I'm too old fashioned and set in my ways I suppose. Recoil is zip even with the steel buttplate.

abosely
.275 member

Re: Suggestions on action choice. [Re: zimhunter]
      #85785 - 17/09/07 05:11 AM

Well, we decided to go with the 1910 Mexican for Heather's rifle. It will make up into such a nice trim little rifle.

As to my velocity of 2600 to 2700 fps, I was going from memory and I should have said 2500 to 26000 fps.

Allen

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2554

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com