Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Roos And Ruger 77's

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Roos And Ruger 77's
      #8574 - 10/02/04 12:26 AM

I'll bet there are a lot of members who have owned and shot Mk1 Ruger 77 rifles at some time.
What do you think of them?
While I've owned 4 Mk1's, and been happy with all of them, one in particular took a pretty good flogging from me over a couple of years and came through it pretty well considering.
I bought it from a little second hand shop in Stones Corner in Brisbane in the early 80's at a very cheap price.
It was a 22-250, was missing some blue and also had a few little dings in the woodwork but the metalwork was in very good condition and throat looked good but the bore was a little pitted and dark like it had been rusty at some stage in its life.
But after I bedded the action and free floated the barrel it shot very well.

A few years later I was Kangaroo shooting full time in outback Queensland and that Ruger was my roo rifle.
It lived in my shooting vehicle 24 hours a day except if it was being cleaned or a repair or adjustment was being done to it.
I'd shoot as often as possible and the shooting would start just on dark in the evening and usually go through to daylight next morning and sometimes longer.
The Ruger would fire about 50 to 70 rounds each working night.
Conditions were VERY dusty and the fine red dust in that country is extremely abrasive.
Even though the Mk1 is just a push feed action, I never had any dramas with the spring loaded ejector plunger in the bolt face despite the fact that it had to operate with dust all over the action and cartridges night after night.
The rifle was shot enough to wear out 2 barrels and most likely fired about 12 to 14 thousand rounds while I owned it, maybe more.
I did have problems with trigger sears wearing and needing constant stoning to keek the trigger pull crisp but otherwise the Ruger was pretty dependable.
This rifle was a pure workhorse and only recieved the minimum amount of cleaning and maintainence required to keep it working well.
Roo shooting keeps you busy all night and much of the day and there is little time for any playing around.
You get damn sick of reloading cartridges when you're doing more than 50 of the same old cartridge every day.
This rifle was also carried on my dirtbike in a frame which held it beside the right side front fork and this allowed me to hunt roos in the daylight in areas that were too thick to sucessfully use a spotlight.
The Ruger also shot a lot of pigs and foxes and also quite a lot of feral cats and these animals were also worth money if shot and handled/prepared/skun/gutted etc properly.
When the original sporter weight barrel shot out I rebarreled the rifle myself using a genuine Ruger heavy barrel.
There is a rather strange story connected with that original barrel that you may be interested to hear.

To be continued...maybe

Edited by 4seventy (10/02/04 01:30 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Roos And Ruger 77's [Re: 4seventy]
      #8605 - 10/02/04 10:41 AM

Like anything made nowadays, it depends. When Rugers shoot well, they go like gangbusters. But when they don't shoot worth a Klinton 3 dollar bill, you have to tweak it numerous ways. On the AR Forum, there had been a big shitstorm over Rugers just because they have cast receivers and are not esthetically pleasing to the eye as some of the other makes. Personally, I love them as I've only had to tweak them only a few times to maked shoot accurately. There are boltaction purists who can't stand a gun that doesn't have solid forged receiver, but who actually forges their receivers nowadays except some high-dollar machine shops. Bill Ruger made rifles and handguns for the regular working stiff and I think he had done a great job with his genius and drive. The dude will be missed for a long time to come. The heirs seem to feel that they don't have to listen to anybody concerning their products.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Roos And Ruger 77's [Re: 475Guy]
      #8620 - 10/02/04 01:52 PM

475Guy,

You hit it right in the X ring! Nobody even comes close to producing a big rifle like the RSM for that amount of $$$. Ruger has some flops, but so do all large manufacturers.

My early 77 in 338 was the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever had, and I owned a gazillion when I ran a gun shop. The rifles are as strong as anything out there. I would shoot a blue pill in a Ruger long before I would consider doing the same in a CZ or Whitworth.

His idea was to bring good firearms to the average shooter at affordable prices.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Holmes
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Wyoming, USA
Re: Roos And Ruger 77's [Re: luv2safari]
      #8625 - 10/02/04 03:03 PM

I agree with the previous comments. I do not currently own a 77 but I've worked on a lot of them and most have responded nicely.

Bill Ruger did a couple of things that really pissed me off regading the Second Amendment, but I find it necessary to give the man credit for the MANY GOOD things he did for the firearms owners of the world.

The way he went to market with designs that no other manufacturer would even consider was a boon to us all. And the fact that he was generally successful in such marketing ploys speaks highly of his insight.

I tip my hat to the old boy and dedicate a finger or two of the Dalmore to him

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Roos And Ruger 77's [Re: Holmes]
      #8629 - 10/02/04 03:28 PM

Can anyone put a date on the first year of production or release for the Mk1 77?

luv2safari
.400 member

#8630 - 10/02/04 03:56 PM

I believe it was 1968.

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

#8707 - 11/02/04 09:50 AM

68 eh, looks like I have a fairly early one then.
The prefix is 70 and it has a different shape bolt handle and knob to the usual Mk1 style.

luv2safari
.400 member

#8713 - 11/02/04 10:03 AM

You probably have one of the early Rugers with the spoon handle bolt. These are a premium to Ruger collectors. I thought they added some Class to the rifles, but the public all wanted "knob jobs"...

--------------------

buckeyeshooter
.275 member

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: ohio, USA
      #8742 - 11/02/04 01:02 PM

I have 4 of the tang safety models; a 30-06 (bought 1982), 300 WM (bought 1982), .338WM (bought 1980) and a .458WM (bought 1981). With a bit of load development, they all shoot 1" groups or less at 100 yards. I really like the built in bases and the tang safety. If you have accuracy problems, it has been my experience that the 60 degree action screw is not tight enough and the screws on the trigger guard are too tight.
The 77 is my first gun out of the safe when I go hunting-- and I own 23 centerfires in .30 cal and larger. They feel like an old friend.
A note, I really dislike the Ruger 77 mark 2, the safety is clumsy and I do not like the 'feel' of the action. You also can not adjust the trigger without totally taking it apart.
I wrote Mr. Ruger a letter when he redesigned the rifle and told him I thought he was making a mistake--- if I wanted a Winchester 70 -- I would buy one!

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Roos And Ruger 77's [Re: buckeyeshooter]
      #8752 - 11/02/04 02:41 PM

If Ruger brought out the 77 with the old trigger and the new type safety, they would have gotten it just right...at last! I changed the trigger on my MKII 338 and RSM to Timneys. All it takes is a bit of careful file work for the safety engagement.

My son's 257 has been a tack driver since day one. I was almost ready to leave it a standard 257, but had Bob Dunlap chamber it to Ackley...now its a faster tack driver...much to the credit of the original type 77 trigger.

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Roos And Ruger 77's [Re: buckeyeshooter]
      #8780 - 11/02/04 11:49 PM

My 4 Mk1's were the 22-250, 270, 300 win mag, and a 358 win on the early action I mentioned.
The 300 win was a screamer and I used to shoot 150 gn Barnes X bullets at 3400 fps and never had to trim the brass and cases just seemed to last forever.
Stupidly I sold it and later bought a stainless synthetic Mk2.
The Mk2 was a tack holer straight from the box and I have some video shooting crows a long way out with it.
But, the loads that produced 3400 in my old Mk1 only made 3200 in the Mk2 stainless barrel.
I stoked 'em up a bit but started getting seperations and had to settle for about 3250.
Never did like the feel of that synthetic stock, so I sold the rifle.
Getting back to the Mk1 300 win mag, back in the early 80's I shot buffalo with it using 200 gn Nosler Partitions.
The bullets used to cop a real pounding in the magazine and the tips would get all flattened out and look terrible.
In those days partitions were quite expensive here in OZ and I didn't like the idea of them getting flattened tips, so I made and installed a couple of metal strips into the magazine.
These strips were filed to fit against the case shoulder and prevent the cartridges from getting slammed forward during recoil.
They worked great and with a bit of fine tuning that gun fed cartridges from mag to chamber beautifully.
That 300 was bedded and floated and the only other thing I did was to smooth the sharp corners on the tang safety slide.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #8786 - 12/02/04 12:15 AM

I like to take the bad shooting Tang safety MkI's off people hands.

If they won't hold zero, it's real simple to replace those dead soft Factory rings with some after market rings or install a Redfield base. that has solvled the problem for every Ruger that I dealt with that wouldn't hold a Zero.

If the rifle won't shoot a group I first try loosening the guard screws and tightening the recoil lug screw. If that doesn 't do it, then I get radical with cleaning the fouling with Sweets. Older Ruger barrels are rough and foul badly. And if that still doesn't do it then I put a new barrel on the rifle and that always does it.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Roos And Ruger 77's [Re: DoubleD]
      #8907 - 13/02/04 08:19 AM

The old 77's with the tang safety are the best of the lot I think. The old 30-06 I shoot is one of those, and for shooters used to tang safeties on double shotguns and doubel rifles it works great!

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #8915 - 13/02/04 08:44 AM

I have never owned one, I have shot a lot and always come close to buying one then get tempted by something else at the time. I would like to find a 77 in .416 and have Bowen Arms re chamber it to .505 gibbs it would be a fun rifle at a price to make it worth owning and not so much tied up in it you would feel bad that it spent most of its time in the back of the safe.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/rifles.html

James F. Nixon III

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: Roos And Ruger 77's [Re: NONE]
      #8919 - 13/02/04 09:22 AM

...great site...any endorsements re m77rsm conversion from .416rigby to .470ne?...

475Guy
.400 member

Re: Roos And Ruger 77's [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #9043 - 15/02/04 01:34 AM

RSM's have used to rechamber to 450 Rigby and 470 Mbogo. All are based on the 416 brass. All it takes is a re-barrel job. I used think of maybe re-boring but can't take the year or so wait for it to come back. The 450 has a 500 gr. going out at 2400-2500 if you can stand the recoil. The 470 has been used with a 500-600 gr going out from 2200 to 2500. OUCH!

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

luv2safari
.400 member

#9052 - 15/02/04 02:56 AM

Tom,

I shoot the RSM in Rigby and think it to be a great rifle for the $$$! It is heavy enough to tame the bigger guys based on the Rigby case. I think the Rigby is plenty sufficient for a magazine rifle IMHO. Since I don't consider a bolt action to be a stopper, I feel it doesn't need to be any bigger.

If I had a second RSM, I'd probably try what you suggest...just for shits & giggles...bigger sure doesn't hurt when facing down things that don't particularly like you shooting at them... I would probably go the rebore route...

I shoot 'yotes out my bedroom window with the 416 and Speer 350's...my varmint gun...is this an Epiphany as to its virtues as is...???

--------------------

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

#9062 - 15/02/04 04:37 AM

...i am on my second ruger rsm in .416rigby...i have copied below some thoughts i posted on another enthusiast site re the ruger...if i did not catch the double rifle bug i would probably have gone the heym express, sig mauser or maybe even johannsen route...

i have that 'problem' ruger magnum in .416 rigby that 'e' referred to. the rifle was shot approximately 20 times, and returned to the factory. the factory rebarreled after concluding that the original barrel was defective. unfortunately, the finish on the rebarreled action was atrocious; the rebarreled action has been returned to the factor for corrective action.

the only reason why i wish to keep the rifle at this point is because of its absolutely beautiful circassian walnut stock that rivals the wood on some of my beretta gallery guns. if i am unable to remedy the barreled action problem, i will go the dakota or sig-mauser route.

other observations. the ruger magnum, imho, is simply one of the finest values on the market today (given the dgr calibres available), and contains all of the features that one would want if one were to hunt dg (e.g., crf, magnum-sized action to accommodate non-belted magnum cartridges such as the large rigby rounds, fixed express sights on an integral quarter rib, barrel-banded front sight and sling swivel, integral scope base, positive win-style 3-position safety, accident-proof hinged floor plate, traditional stock design, cross bolt and recoil plate for recoil absorption purposes, etc.).

that said, the rifle is poorly balanced (front-end heavy because of the integral quarter-rib) and, for standard-statured shooters, does not handle all that well (imho). this tends to accentuate felt recoil, especially under bench conditions. suggested standard remedies include oem recoil pads and mercury inserts. other possible improvements include a trigger job and necg-style beaded sight.

475Guy
.400 member

#9065 - 15/02/04 05:01 AM

You know what, I'm 5'6" officially but seem to be shrinking every year with vertebrae compacting. That said, I do agree that the first RSM's were not balanced right but the new ones are very nice. On all my new RSM's, I've had gorgeous wood on each one and all had triggers that broke at 3 1/4# except one and that one broke at 4#. I find the benchrest method that helps out the most is to steal(appropriate) all the sandbags in sight when you get to the range. Set up as many as needed to get your body in the upright position when shooting 416's and bigger. I don't have problems shooting from the bench as long as the rifle is heavy enough and I get to shoot with my body upright.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

luv2safari
.400 member

#9103 - 15/02/04 04:48 PM

Tom,

I think I got your barreled action, and you got my stock. My stock is about yuck, while the gun itself is smooth as silk...not exactly a Ruger trait. I put a Timney in it and like it much better now.

Man, they ARE muzzle heavy! I don't mind it too much, since it seems to help keep the whole rifle from rising inordinatley high when fired. I sure wouldn't mind if Ruger shaved about a pound off it, mostly up front.

Any opinions regarding porting the barrel to tame the rise and sharp recoil?...not adding a compensator! I just traded into a mint later (I think) Sako Safari Grade in 375 that has the factory porting...again, I think. I've seen several later production Safaris with the exact same porting.

Anyone know something about this...curiuos...

--------------------

458RugerNo1
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/04
Loc: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, ...
      #11238 - 09/03/04 10:55 AM

Anything built by Ruger is generally the strongest, toughest and most durable ever built. Bill Ruger truly was one of the all-time greatest contributors to the firearms/shooting world. The majority of the handguns and rifles I own are Rugers - because they always work and have never failed me. He built tough, reliable guns for the working man to take afield under the worst of conditions with confidence. Not always the prettiest or most "refined"
but by God you can bet they will stand up to anything.

I own five Ruger M77's... In 22 Rimfire, 44 Mag, 6.5 Swede (Mark II), 338 Win Mag (Mark II) and .458 Win Mag (Mark I). All are utterly reliable in every way.

--------------------
God Bless old Elmer Keith!

Boghossian
.275 member

Reged: 23/01/04
Re: Roos And Ruger 77's [Re: 458RugerNo1]
      #12573 - 27/03/04 09:31 AM

quite a lot of feral cats and these animals were also worth money if shot and handled/prepared/skun/gutted etc properly.
????
I know the aborigines eat them, but how else are they worth money? Bounties or furcoats?

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Re: Roos And Ruger 77's [Re: 458RugerNo1]
      #12574 - 27/03/04 09:42 AM

...shot out a ruger safari magnum in .416 rigby after only 20 rounds...

...factory rebarreled action but came back rusting between the barrel and action...

...factory then refused to replace rifle until i paid a 'discounted price' for an entirely new rsm...

...received the rsm and found bleached salts leaking out from the front sight and barrel band areas...

...will not shoot the replacement rsm, rather, will sell as unfired and buy a quality piece...

...just my experience...

475Guy
.400 member

#12586 - 27/03/04 01:34 PM

Unlike the Winnies, the Rugers have had a pretty good reputation on their new rifles. Too bad the one experience you had has soured you on the Ruger product line. I guess that a lemon or two will go the pipeline. In your case, I guess you were getting back to back lemons. I own four new RSM's and a couple of old MkI's and I'm immensely satisfied with them. They seem to work with no problems for me.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Re: Roos And Ruger 77's [Re: 475Guy]
      #12600 - 27/03/04 05:39 PM

...appreciate your comments, and glad you have had a postive experience with ruger firearms...

...have a ruger no. 1 in .458 win. mag that is a replacement for another no. 1 that had a very loose action and bluing salts bleaching out from everywhere...

...have a ruger vaquero in .45 colt that was shot around 200 rounds, and that now shows metal fatigue on the inner surfaces of the action...

...not by any means knocking ruger products...they are indeed stout, well engineered, fairly reliable and represent high value for the money...sort of like the 'fords' of the automotive world...

...that said, they are by no means on the same level as, say, the dakotas and heyms of the world...imho...

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9352

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com