Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Was Remington sold????

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Was Remington sold????
      #84253 - 19/08/07 02:48 PM

Someone at work today was saying sne saw a magazine article about Remington being sold to a German company-then again, someone else told me that Remington just recently bought out Bushmaster-any truth to either of these??

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Was Remington sold???? [Re: Shackleton]
      #84254 - 19/08/07 02:51 PM

I believe yes, Remington was sold.

Not sure to whom but someone else
saw an article on it.

Google probably the best bet.

Maybe now ther will get something
or the new products right !

GOOGLE TURNED UP THIS AS 1ST HIT

Remington sold

Remington Arms Co has agreed to be sold to Cerberus Capital Management LP, of New York, a private-equity firm, according to Bloomberg News. The transaction terms include $118 million in cash and assumption of $252 million of debt.
The Remington Arms gun plant in Ilion, New York, has operated powder metallurgy parts and metal injection moulding (MIM) parts production lines for many years.
Remington was sold by private-equity firms Bruckmann, Rosser, Sherrill & Co. and Clayton Dubilier & Rice Co. Clayton Dubilier purchased Remington’s assets from DuPont in 1993 for $300 million. In 2006 Remington earned $300,000 on sales of $446 million. The transaction is scheduled for completion by June 28, 2007.

Edited by 500Nitro (19/08/07 02:52 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Was Remington sold???? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #84267 - 19/08/07 10:38 PM

Was reading recently that much of Rem's M700 tooling has reached the end of its service life and QC has been a struggle for ten years or so. With the current market popularity of "Mauser-type" rifles, look for a new model deleting the "Fingernail Extractor" and fabricated bolt assembly.

Might take a little time, but stay tuned...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
Re: Was Remington sold???? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #84317 - 20/08/07 11:33 PM

$300,000 earned on sales of $446 million?!!! Can that be right? If so, that's worse than trying to farm. Don't think I'll line up to by Remington stock.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Was Remington sold???? [Re: Shackleton]
      #84320 - 21/08/07 01:07 AM

Remington was sold and yes, based on all the info I have read in the past -everything posted so far is pretty much correct..

I also read their equipment was closed to being worn out which is one reason Kenny Jarret quite using their actions for his $10,000 custom guns--he felt the actions were taking too much time to true so he started building his own..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Was Remington sold???? [Re: Plains99]
      #84327 - 21/08/07 03:11 AM

Quote:

$300,000 earned on sales of $446 million?!!! Can that be right? If so, that's worse than trying to farm. Don't think I'll line up to by Remington stock.

Yep, that caught my eye as well.

Made me gulp.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #84338 - 21/08/07 10:54 AM

My 1980 M700 BLD 7mm is almost as nice as my 2005 Dakota in fit and finish - and it is a true sub-inch gun.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Was Remington sold???? [Re: bonanza]
      #84341 - 21/08/07 11:56 AM

Another article in this months Field and Stream-- Page 30--states that Cerberus, which also owns Bushmaster, has not announce any changes at this time.. There are rumors that production might head overseas, however at this point, the author feels these are totally unfounded. Remington has been in business since 1828 and that number 10 million of the model 870 shotgun will roll off the line in 2008..he feels the next several million will also come from the same factory..if that is the case or not, we shall see..

Ripp

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Was Remington sold???? [Re: Ripp]
      #84345 - 21/08/07 12:48 PM

Does it really matter that much if production
moves off shore ?

After all, everything else in America hunting
related is made in China !!!

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
      #84348 - 21/08/07 01:42 PM

Quote:

Does it really matter that much if production
moves off shore ?

I think it absolutely does- without getting too politically charged, every gun company that heads overseas is another gigantic chip away at gun owner's rights worldwide (and no offense, but I don't want to end up with firearms regulations similar to Australia, Canada, Great Britain, etc.). The U.N. is consistently pressing for more restrictive, international gun regulations and the U.S. is the only consistent dissenting voice...we'd all be better off if Winchester had remained in business (or been sold to a U.S. investor) and we'll be in better shape if Remington stays stateside. I predict, however, that won't happen.

Smith & Wesson bucked all odds by returning to U.S. ownership. Not sure that's a repeatable situation.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Was Remington sold???? [Re: taw1126]
      #84352 - 21/08/07 02:19 PM

The problem is, all shooters seem to drive prices down down down until XXX don't give the manufacturers any choice
but to move off shore or they lose out.

Edited by 500Nitro (22/08/07 03:42 AM)

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #84369 - 21/08/07 09:28 PM

I was talking to the Highland Sports rep today and his comment was that Remington gets sold every 5-6 years.

Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Was Remington sold???? [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #84375 - 21/08/07 11:10 PM

As I've mentioned before, gunmaking is a difficult business and subject to the same world economic pressures that other manufacturing industries are. "Shooters driving down prices" is a simplistic and very unsophisticated view of the issues involved, but it is a view that is very tempting to take, as if we shooters should just take a look at the price on a gun on the dealer's counter and happily offer a 10% tip to buy it, this tip being the salvation of the gun industry. I'm not picking on anyone's specific view, as I have heard this general line of reasoning before, i.e. it's the buyer's "fault".

Truth is, the troubles facing commercial gunmakers are far more challenging. Some realities of the gunmaking industry that plague all makers:

1) Service life of the product is indefinite. They last for generations and simply put, do not NEED to be replaced.

2) Gunmaking technology is quite basic and is possessed by many nations, nations whose labor costs are mere fractions of those of the developed nations. The potential to set up gun production {or optics which as a related field suffers similarly} in developing nations is there, and will continue in the future.

3) Related to 1) above, many local markets are saturated and gunmakers must attempt to sell their products to owners who already own very similar products, products, remember, that will not wear out in the lifetime of the original owner, products that can be handed down to three or four generations of shooters and serve each one quite admirably. Saturated markets led to Winchester's design and production of ballistically-speaking, ridiculously redundant calibers.

4) Winchester {as an example} attempted to inject an element of sort-of "planned obsolescence" {a very effective auto-making scheme} into the market with its intro of those above-mentioned calibers. One trip to the range or out to the field and even the most ignorant rube was convinced otherwise. {NOT saying these are "bad" calibers, but Win advertising aside, merely redundant}.

5) Competition between gun makers is intense and must continue to be. It has been said that the Gun Control Act of 1968 was supported vociferously by the major American gun companies in an attempt to eliminate competition from foreign dumping of milsurp long arms and handguns into the US market. I suspect this was indeed true. On a related theme, it has also been rumored that gun companies have lobbied for the destruction of many American service weapons and the prevention of their sale on the commercial market. This also makes good "sense". Why WOULD a maker of .45 pistols want the market flooded with cheap, high quality pistols? Such dumping is seen in gunmaking circles as unfair government intrusion into their industry. Looking at it another way, if you made jeeps, would you want Uncle selling a similar product for 1/10 the cost of yours?

6) It is a pathetic reality that certain forms of gun control remain the last bastion for spurring gun sales in many nations. Yes, gun control in various forms is at times the gunmaker's best short-term friend. Witness the growth of the .40 and .45 pistol market in the USA after magazine limitations choked the advantage of the 9x19. All the way back to Austro-Hungarian GC which prescribed size limits on pistols resulting in certain modifications to FN pistols exported to A-H. And in Sweden, the limitation on number of rifles that may be owned spurs sales of newer guns to replace them {and we in the USA see some of these fine old guns being imported here and sold at nominal cost}. In the USA we see the same historical reality: Look at all the weird guns {pump-action "AK's", single stack mag AK's, etc that were developed during the AWB years of the '90's, guns that never would have seen the light of day had not the AWB forced their existence. And each time there is a new GC scare, hordes of gun aficionados flock to the stores to Buy-Before-They-Die.

There is so much more to this saga but my coffee is running out. Suffice it to say that gun collectors/hunters/shooters tend to see their hobby as somehow above the general run of economic reality. It is not.

So, what will happen to Remington? Who knows. I suspect they will be reorganized by some group or conglomerate on a smaller scale, selling several new products of sufficiently {it is hoped...}different design to "justify" their existence. When this occurs they will be faced with the same challenges they were faced with before the sale of the company took place. Golf clubs and typewriters anyone?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

500Nitro
.450 member

#84383 - 22/08/07 03:42 AM

I was being a bit flipant with that comment.

Some good points you raised.

Ripp
.577 member

#84402 - 22/08/07 10:21 AM

Quote:

Truth is, the troubles facing commercial gunmakers are far more challenging. Some realities of the BSo, what will happen to Remington? Who knows. I suspect they will be reorganized by some group or conglomerate on a smaller scale, selling several new products of sufficiently {it is hoped...}different design to "justify" their existence. When this occurs they will be faced with the same challenges they were faced with before the sale of the company took place. Golf clubs and typewriters anyone?

Per the article I read, it was suggested that Remington might go the way of Savage after their reorganization..in that they stand by their proven performers..ie; 700 bolt, 870 and 1100 shotguns..which have sold very well in the past and probably will in the future provided they provide a reasonable product and price structure..

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Was Remington sold???? [Re: Ripp]
      #84404 - 22/08/07 10:36 AM

Actually, especially regarding the 870, I think you are dead right. I still think the 700 will reappear in a modified form.

Having said that, such a reorganization does not necessariy mean poorer products. I am really impressed with Savage, for example. The Accutrigger was an outgrowth of the Savage reorg and it is in my experience a superb and feature. Some of the nicer grades of Savage rifles are very nicelooking indeed. A downsizing in these industries may not be wholly a negative thing for gunbuyers, thought the sad demise of Ithaca is a a real loss. As far as I am concerned, their shotguns are the best pumps ever made.

--------------------

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
      #84763 - 28/08/07 07:32 AM

I suppose most people get into the gun business because they love it... and companies can do well, such as Ruger. But I like 9ThreeXFifty7's observations. Look at the muzzleloader rifle industry. Totally a product of government legislation and regulation. Take away the special hunting seasons and the inline muzzleloader would go the way of the Doe-Doe bird in a heartbeat. When I got into the muzzleloader writing business there were 14 different makes of inlines. Now there are only a handful and the list will get shorter.
I don't think I drive prices down as a buyer but I do have a very hard time buying a Model 700 or a Model 70 when I can get a nice CZ for a bit more or a perfectly serviceable and reliable and accurate Savage for less. Consequently there are very few Remingtons and Winchesters in my gun cabinet... come to think of it... none. I'm trying to hold back my guilt pains. If it takes an overseas manufacturer to make them competitive, so be it. If the economic or political conditions change, I'm sure someone will be around to tool up and fill the void.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Was Remington sold???? [Re: Plains99]
      #84766 - 28/08/07 09:09 AM

I don't know. Look at Kimber. A new approach to an old pistol, and they sell buckets. I finally bought a 1911 and it's a Kimber.

Despite Dakota's management problems (now sorted) they represent the niche market that now defines the "American Rifle".

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Re: Was Remington sold???? [Re: bonanza]
      #84871 - 29/08/07 02:19 PM

Quote:

Look at Kimber. A new approach to an old pistol, and they sell buckets.

Kimber and U.S. Firearms took advantage of the big guys and beat them in the markets the big guys created: Kimber built a better Model 70 than Winchester could (post-'64, anyway) and a better 1911 than Colt can.

USFA took it a step further...not only do they build a better single action than Colt, they're doing it in Colt's old factory.

I really thought Winchester would end up the same way, sold to a stateside investment group who could exploit new CAD/CAM technology and the apparent inability of the big makers to recognize what people want (i.e., a Model 94 carbine built the way they were from 1895 to 1963). It's ironic that Winchester's market share was always so much bigger than Marlin's, yet Marlin outlived them. Maybe the comment on downsizing hit the nail on the head- companies that didn't have to support large overhead, or try to "scale back" to match modern market demand, seem to be faring better.

Ruger seems to do okay but it will be interesting to see how things look after 10 years without Bill Ruger at the helm.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2548

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com