Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Time to buy another Gun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
roimon13
.224 member

Reged: 12/08/07
Loc: Australia-The Shire
Time to buy another Gun
      #84039 - 14/08/07 08:55 PM

Hi to all, I posted this on another site seeking advise and will do the same here.

I'm new to this site and so far have enjoyed crawling through it and over it and round it. Now I need some opinions from those with more knowledge than me. I currently own 2x.22 b/a 1 a mod 1 brno and the other a 10 shot voere and a Rem700BDSL in .243 and shoot when ever I get the opportunity, anything from rabbits to roos, pigs and dear if the chance arises. My dilemma is what to buy. .222, .223, .25-06, or .270. I was going to go towards .222 or.223 for mid way between .22 and .243 and for less noise but then thought I can go lighter with projectiles for .243 down to 55gn and less powder = less noise.
So then looked at .270 for the sometime longer ranges that can be encountered. Whilst researching this aspect the matter of the .25-06 being almost equivalent of the .270 and a flatter shooting bullet out to around the 400m mark has been pointed out and gone and thrown another spanner in to the works as to what to buy.
Any thoughts from others with experience of the pros and cons would be appreciated.
Roimon

I have received some replies but am seeking more because the more I know before I part with the big bucks the happier I will be.
All help, advise and suggestions will be greatfully considered.
Roimon

--------------------
Here for a good time not a long time.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
karluk
.224 member

Reged: 11/02/07
Loc: alaska
Re: Time to buy another Gun [Re: roimon13]
      #84041 - 15/08/07 12:13 AM

Looking at my Barnes reloading manual #2, ballistics show the 270 shooting the 100 gr xfb (now replaced by the tsx) slightly flatter than the 25-06 out to 600 yds, but the difference is negligible.
My Barnes manual lists bullets from 75 gr - 115 gr for the 25-06, the same range for 243, just more speed with the 25-06. 270 bullets range from 100 gr - 180 gr, that would give you more versatility.
I did a little research on the 25-06 a while back and if memory serves me the 25-06 will burn up barrels relatively fast, that may be a consideration.
They are both fine cartridges, accurate and flat shooting, but I would opt for the 270.
Good Luck,
Karluk

--------------------
The only thing worse than a male chauvinist pig is a
woman that won't do what she's told.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #84047 - 15/08/07 01:39 AM

If it was me I would opt for the 270 simply because it gives you a slightly broader range of bullets to use and slightly more energy for larger game you might shoot.. you can go up to 150 grain bullets with the 270 where as the 120 is usually it for the 25-06--

personally I like both calibers --I am merely giving my opinion based on your other calibers..but here in the US --many people use the 270 for anything from Pronghorns to deer to bears to elk.. its also an awesome Big Horn sheep gun--

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #84049 - 15/08/07 02:01 AM

Roimon - I'll take another approach. Since you've detailed your game of choice, I'll suggest a CZ in .204 Ruger. A PacNor re-barrel on an existing .222-chambered rifle, to Tac .20 will also deliver the goods for you. A rifle currently chambered for anything on the standard .473" bolt will allow re-bareling to .20PPC or .20BR. That one will drive the high BC bullets to well over 4,000fps. Guys I know take coyotes to 600 yards with this one. All of these, form the TAC .20, to .204 Ruger and .20PPC all give 1/2 the drop and 1/2 wind drift of a typical .220 Swift load with 53gr. bullet.
: You won't be displeased at this choice. With 40gr. Hornady's or 39gr. Sierras, to 45gr. Noslers, you'll have a flat shooting, wind bucking vermin load to 500 or 600 yards, much beyond what most of us shoot.
; With 32gr., you'll have head blasting accuracy and power to 450yards - all with being able to spot hits yourself on about 80% of the shots.
: Virtually no recoil, long barrel life, low component cost - I see no negatives in this choice. I suggest you go to www.saubier.com, a small bore forum, where the best of the best of small bore shooters reside.
: I missed the pigs and deer mentioned in you first post. With them in mind, a .22 BR or .22PPC will handle the Barnes TS bullets in 50 or 53gr. weights to excellent velocities for shooting the larger of your choices of game. My experience with the TAC .20, some few years ago on long range rock chucks, left me with the feeling I could easily head shoot deer or pigs out to 440 yards. I wouldn't do this however past about 300 yards, just a self-imposed limit on big game for myself.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #84061 - 15/08/07 10:44 AM

For a shooter, get a Savage .223.

Has a 9" twist standard which will give you excellent results at high speed with long bullet 62 grain milsurp ammo and excellent accuracy with the lighter bullets as well. Might turn in good accuracy with the extra-long 77 grain bullets too but I've not shot any of those yet.

I have killed hundreds of grounds squirrels on my ranch here with my Savage 112 {186 this year from all calibers, mostly with the Savage}. Here's mine {albeit painted, behind the Muaser on the shooting deck of my UTV}:

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

roimon13
.224 member

Reged: 12/08/07
Loc: Australia-The Shire
Re: Time to buy another Gun [Re: 9.3x57]
      #84373 - 21/08/07 10:56 PM

Well its done. I've gone and committed to a Rem700 308 Stainless synthetic BDL with a Nikko Sterling 6-24 on top for $800. I missed a couple of others that may or may not have been as good. I will enlighten you all further after I have thrown a few rounds through it.
Also at the same time I bought a .22 Henry L/A for my left handed 16 year old daughter to use.
The 2 boys 14 & 12 are about 6 weeks off getting their junior permits so the competition in our family is about to hot up.
Thanks again for all your words of wisdom,
Roimon13

--------------------
Here for a good time not a long time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2729

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com