Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 470 NE - My new double!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
470 NE - My new double!
      #8426 - 08/02/04 01:19 AM

Finally I had time to go to the gunshop and what happend was that they had not get hold of the .500/.416 but a 470 NE instead. They could not answer about the delivery time for the other one so after almost drowning in the barrels I couldn't resist it.

So now I am on to collecting materials and tools to produce my first loads for the Blaser S2.

I know that you want photos and tomorrow sunday I will try to have help from a friend to take some nice photos.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
docEE
.224 member

Reged: 06/11/03
Loc: Minnesota, USA
Re: 470 NE - My new double! [Re: cchunter]
      #8612 - 10/02/04 12:27 PM

Congratulations!

Daydreamer
.224 member

Reged: 31/01/04
Loc: Austria
      #8635 - 10/02/04 10:25 PM

Christer

Congratulation on your new double!

I'm considering getting a Blaser S2 too. Want to start with a 9,3x74R and when I like the handling of it and feel confident to use this system as DGR I'll get a 500/416 or 500NE barrel set.

I firstly refused to see the S2 as a proper DGR because of the cocking system - after beeing pissed with the trajectory difference of O/U rifles (difference in POI for the first 100 meters), and wanting to have a S/S since I know guns - I'll take the advantage of the barrel setup of the S2 over the ability to faster reload the double.

Even with the slow re-cocking procedunre of the S2 - I know see it that way, that a client hunter doesn't need to high-speed reload a double that much with a PH on his side.
If you are hunting elephant - the PH will shoot (or I will tell him to shoot) when my two barrels have been shot and the ele is still on its feet - then I'll have time to reload and see if I can follow up.

On the other hand I've been able to try the 500NE Krieghof of a friend of mine - didn't fit me like the Blaser - first thing that suprised me was that I automatically de-cocked the rifle everytime I lowered it after shooting - like putting the safety ON.
Second thing that worried me was that my friend told me to immediately shoot the second barrel to prevend trifting the barrels apart.
He also said in a real hunting situation he is supposed to shoot the second shot into the bush if he cant get to shoot the ele/buff to help the barrels stay in regulation!? Sure this is not nessesary with the S2 barrels.

We'll see what the S2 will do in a real hunting situation. I guess the option to shoot several shots without changing point of impact, or beeing able to shoot one shot - reload - shoot what ever barrel suits then - without having to do it in 8-10 seconds and this with repeating accuracy like a good single shot or bolt rifle is a very big bonus!

Again congratulations and prepear for a hard time here to defend your choice of double rifle system.....

--------------------
Franz A. Holzer

cchunter
.375 member

Re: 470 NE - My new double! [Re: Daydreamer]
      #8637 - 10/02/04 11:18 PM

Thanks Daydreamer!

I won't bother about defending the rifle. I go my way whatever considered and if someone has complaints I just recomend īthem to try and then speak

If you plan for a smaller caliber first and then to buy barrels for a bigger remember that you need a Safari model (starts with 375) to put a 500/416 on.

And about your point of wiev at using a double It is exactly how I see it!

---------------------------------------------

Photos will hopefully be up tomorrow.......

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #8644 - 11/02/04 01:42 AM

Congratulations Christer!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: 470 NE - My new double! [Re: Rusty]
      #8652 - 11/02/04 02:54 AM

In reply to:

Second thing that worried me was that my friend told me to immediately shoot the second barrel to prevend trifting the barrels apart.
He also said in a real hunting situation he is supposed to shoot the second shot into the bush if he cant get to shoot the ele/buff to help the barrels stay in regulation!? Sure this is not nessesary with the S2 barrels.

Daydreamer

I've never heard of such a thing. I don't believe that it is correct. Shooting one barrel and not the other will not hurt a quality rifle.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Daydreamer
.224 member

Reged: 31/01/04
Loc: Austria
      #8778 - 11/02/04 10:21 PM

Christer

I know about the problem to put a Safari barrel set into the standard Blaser S2.

What I'm trying right now is to get my Blaser dealer to order me a Blaser S2 Safari in 9,3x74R - costly as it will be - about Euro +1000 compared to the standard S2 in smaller caliber - this will give me all options for the future.
I also prefer the classic straight stock withe the round cheek-piece over the bavarian style stock.

Not sure what I'll get: 500NE or 500/416NE - the barrels for the 500/416 could be really heavy, don't know yet.
This way I can try the rifle for a year or so and decide if I would use it in Africa and what the barrel set will suit me best.

--------------------
Franz A. Holzer

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #8782 - 11/02/04 11:54 PM

Congratulations on your double Christer. How does it feel in your hands at last?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cchunter
.375 member

Re: 470 NE - My new double! [Re: NitroX]
      #8785 - 12/02/04 12:12 AM

It feels great, would be even better if IO could get hold of some ammo to shot

John - Jasper got the video yesterday and it worked fine - thanks a lot.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #8789 - 12/02/04 12:48 AM

Good I hope he enjoys the video. I haven't phoned Jasper yet.

The ammo issue is a killer except a 470 should be easier to find. The 450 No 2 I think Bertram is the only brass manufacturer so after I try some a bit more I will have to stock up. Just in case.

Shot the .450 again today. Will have to ask some of the experts here what they think. I want to get it shooting before you do!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3122

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com