Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .243 or 7mm

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: .243 or 7mm [Re: 9.3x57]
      #83872 - 11/08/07 03:18 PM

As in many things in life, we remember the very good and the very bad most clearly. In the case of M-700 failures, those are the things that stick in the minds of people that have had them. In the case of the millions of m-700 "non-failures" ..........what's to remember?
So i am not going out of my way to "slam" M-700s. Just stating facts
Now if I were to get a 700 for myself I would do one thing right at the first, and another thing every time I shot it
The first thing I would do is to clamp the bolt in a vice and hit the handle with a big wooden mallet. If the handle doesn't come off with that, it's not going to. I'd have one that got a good solder joint. I'd say at least 75% of those I have put back on were brand new. Bad joints! Yeah, some were old, and had been used for years, but I doubt those that had served 10-30 years would have survived the "mallet test" if they would have been so tested. So I'd rather break it off right out of the chute, and put it back the right way. Then I'd never have to worry about it again.
The 2nd thing I'd do every time I cleaned the rifle is to put a drop of Hoppies 9 on the bolt face and leave it wet. The when I take it out of the safe, I'd dry it with a tissue and go shooting. I believe that just leaving the solvent on the bolt face would cure about 99% or all extractor failures in m-700s. But I am amazed at how many men don't EVER clean their rifles, and those are the ones I'd get in the shop, with extractors jamming or breaking.
No the Rem-700 is not my favorite action, but I would not feel like I was holding a gun waiting to break if I had one.
I like Rugers and Winchesters better, and Mausers a lot better, but I am not going to say I hate Remingtons.
Just test the bolt joint BEFORE you NEED it to work, and CLEAN the bolt face and extractors. You'll probably be more likely to get hit by lightning than to have one fail in the field. If you do have one fail, after the "mallet test" and with a clean bolt face, ------ wellllll ------------- I guess You are just not living a clean life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Weatherby
.224 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: .243 or 7mm [Re: MoRat]
      #83875 - 11/08/07 03:48 PM

Gday MoRat,
My first time here as well. As an Aussie hunter like you I feel you are spot on with the .243. Cant go wrong. Top calibre for all varmints and small to medium game in the country. No problems with long shots, pigs, goats and fallow deer. Its powerful, flat shotting and easy to handle. Bullets are reasonably priced and easy to get. I reccommend the ..243 to many of my mates in similar situations. The 7mm ranges discussed by others in this blog are in the .270 range. If you were looking for something in that area you wouldnt go past a .270 for Australia. Ive got a Tikka Stainless Lite in .243 and its a beauty. Just over a thousand aussie dollars and guaranteed to shoot sub MOA. No problems with that either as I get about 3/4 MOA using 87 grain Hornady V-max bullets. Its also just shy of 6 pounds.

Cheers

--------------------
Outback
NSW, Australia

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: .243 or 7mm [Re: szihn]
      #83887 - 12/08/07 01:31 AM

Good Day,
Just read another interesting article that I was unaware of .. it seems that the bolt handle is of concern on the 700--in the article I read this morning in Guns and Ammo --they were doing a test on a Ed Brown custom ---cost somewhere around $3000 and up--the amazing thing in the article other than the fact it was shooting 2" groups and they felt that was adequate (not my idea of accurate) --was the description of the gun and that the "bolt handle was welded to the bolt"--seriously, I would have thought a rifle in this price range would not do that--however it apparently is considered more reliable than one would think...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: .243 or 7mm [Re: Ripp]
      #83902 - 12/08/07 03:04 AM

IIRC, and it has been years since I even messed with a Rem 700, the bolt head is also brazed to the bolt body on a Remington 700 and there is a very fine line about 3/4 inch back from the locking lugs close to where the bluing of the bolt head ended, making the bolt a three-piece affair; bolt handle, bolt body and bolt head. Check that out to verify but I believe I am correct. Browning HP pistol barrels are two-piece and brazed together also. I've never heard of either of these joints failing, so I don't see any reason why bolt handles should be inherently more likely to fail. Yet we hear that they do from time to time.

Heym SR20 bolt handles are welded I believe, not brazed or silver soldered. I believe they had some trouble with them, too once upon a time...

I don't see much problem with a separate bolt handle, but prefer the mechanical joint of the Savage over a solder/braze/weld solution.

BTW: I've had two extractor failures over the years. One was on my .45 cal Stemple submachine gun that would slip off the case heads occaisionally, allowing only weak ejection. Empties would pile up in the ejection port. I reformed it and pretty well fixed it before I sold the gun. The other failure was on my tang-safety Ruger 77 in 7x57 {a Mauser wanna-be}. I bought that gun second hand and the extractor lost the case about 1/2 inch after the lugs released almost every time. I ordered a M77MKII extractor and all's well. Maybe that is why the gun was cheap. Good thing, it is one of our favorite rifles.

Which winds its way back to the topic; used guns can be a very good deal, particularly if a guy doesn't mind fixing other people's problems, which I do not mind doing. And .243's seem to be far more common than 7x57's and I suspect would be somewhat cheaper if that is an issue.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: .243 or 7mm [Re: 9.3x57]
      #83904 - 12/08/07 03:35 AM

I have a friend who is an amateur gunsmith and claims to have broken the bolt handle off a Rem M700--
dunno about that!!

My favorite action is the Win 70/various mauser variants with CRF where the bolt lug is not split/sectioned.Probably makes no difference but I like it that way.

My favorite non DG action is a Sako or Steyr. Not to crazy about the Remington safeties.

243 or 7x57?? Just depends on what game I'm shooting-
both are very handy calibers--

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

340Wby
.224 member

Reged: 28/06/06
Loc: Up high!
Re: .243 or 7mm [Re: hoppdoc]
      #83943 - 12/08/07 09:19 PM

Go a 7mm-08Rem, great cal & one with mild recoil.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6889

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com