Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Combo guns

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Combo guns
      #8391 - 07/02/04 09:54 AM

Does anyone use drillings, cape guns, or o/u combo guns as their big game and upland gun?

Do you take birds while deer hunting...or the other way around?

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: Combo guns [Re: luv2safari]
      #8448 - 08/02/04 04:12 AM

...closest i get is a two barrel set...9.3x74r + 20 gauge...maybe next time a 96k...

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Combo guns [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #8451 - 08/02/04 04:58 AM

I've got a WR Faunetta. Only shot Chukars and a Pheasant or two with it but keep hoping for a Coyote or maybe a Deer sometime.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Combo guns [Re: mickey]
      #8486 - 08/02/04 04:57 PM

Mick,

I always take one to Africa. I now take my relatively inexpensive, but accurate Tikka 412 in 12/9,3x74r. I lucked into one with DT. I take three barrel sets...12/9,3; 12/12; 9,3/9.3. I have two scopes in Valmet mounts, one for the 12/9,3 and one for the 9,3/9,3. I like this combo for about everywhere, but now use a 416 for buffalo, also.

I have taken several good plains game animals with the 12/9,3 while francolin hunting for camp meat. I would have had to take inferior animals, had I not had the rifle barrel available just at the right moment.

Another nice thing about the set is that I pay for only one gun license in Tanzania...for a 12/9,3 combo!

Saves me enough for one more trophy fee...

Tom...I can't wait to see some pix of that sweet handling Beretta you have on the way. I wish it were mine and you had a better one...!!!

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #8488 - 08/02/04 05:02 PM

I bought my wife a Sauer drilling 12x12x30-06, with a 4x scope in claw mounts [big mistake, I should have bought it for myself and let HER borrow it ] that she lets me use sometimes. I have found it to be a most excellent hunting gun.
She has used it to take deer, wild pigs, ducks,turkey,quail, dove and grouse. I have a very hard time getting her to turn it loose long enough for me to use it very much. A combo gun is very useful when "fur and feathered" game is in season at the same time.

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Combo guns [Re: NE450No2]
      #8490 - 08/02/04 05:18 PM

You, sir, are a man of infinite wisdom and good taste...but dumb as a stump! Or, your wife is somebody very special. I'll believe it is the latter for now.

How do you like the Sauer? Is it the 3000 with semi-beavertail fore arm? I just the other day sold two of my favorite drillings to buy a Sauer 12/12/30-06 with a 6X Nickel Supra rail scope in claws. I had offered them to my gunsmith a while back...damned him!...he paid my price...now they are two of HIS favorite drillings

My Sauer should be here on Monday...I'm taking the day off to play with...ehrr...assess and scrutenize, and evaluate my recent purchase, which is on three day approval...may need to take three days off...

Where do you...umm...your wife hunt with your drilling? Nice to find a kindred spirit here!

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

#8502 - 08/02/04 06:41 PM

luv2safari
You may have it right, ie. my wife is special with a husband dumb as a stump.
The drilling is not marked 3000 any where but it was made in the 60's and think it is the same model as yours. Sauer also made the Colt Drillings in this same style. I have handled a fair amount of drillings and so far I like this one the best. I can shoot it on flying game, ducks and doves and quail better than my Browning O/U. The 30-06 bbl is very accurate, and my wife has even killed a pig with a slug.
I have not had any problems with extraction in the 30-06 bbl.
We use the drilling on our lease in Texas, and on bear/grouse hunts in Montana, and in Sept I took in on my Idaho Bear hunt and shot a few grouse with it.
I had www.murrayleather.com make me a buttstock shell carrier with three 30-06 and three 12ga shells.
Very handy, his stuff is worth every penny.

luv2safari
.400 member

#8531 - 09/02/04 05:56 AM

NE 450,

WOW!...I just bought a little house in Libby, Mt. for my retirement in a few years, just so I can hunt grouse, mule and white tail deer, elk, and black bear...fishing's great too.

Lets ruff up some ruffeds some day next September!

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

#8566 - 09/02/04 06:09 PM

luv2safari
Libby Mt is one of my favorite places. I have hunted grouse and black bear in that area from the Idaho, Canadian border to Glacer National Park every year since 1990 but two. The people in Troy, Libby and Eureka are very nice. My wife and I were looking at living in Libby for a while after we retire, instead we are going to live full time in a Class A motorhome, and will be spending a couple of months each year in the Libby area [August and September].
Next time you get to Libby be sure and eat at the Hidden Chapel Resturant at 1207 Utah Ave.
There is very good Black Bear [and Moose if you can draw a tag] on the east side of Lake Koncanusa, and good fishing below the dam.
I probably will not hunt there this Sept, as I am scheduled to hunt Zim in June and Canada in Aug.

luv2safari
.400 member

#8578 - 10/02/04 02:53 AM

NE450,

I know all too well about the moose there. I have ten minutes of video of a moose running ahead of the truck, flushing grouse back into the thick timber, while grouse hunting the second week of Sept. this season...the moose own the roads!

The worlds record rainbow was taken right at Libby, also...33 pounds. It is hanging in a real estate office in Libby.

God, I feel so bad for you that you have so many OTHER hunts you'll miss out on ruffed grouse in NW Montana...

--------------------

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #8583 - 10/02/04 05:20 AM

Are you sure about the world record Rainbow? The Alaska record Rainbow weighed 42 lbs 3 oz. It was caught on Bell Island in 1970, maybe it was considered a sea run??? I don't know?

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #8587 - 10/02/04 06:13 AM

...thanks...

...looked at the sso6's at the recent sci reno convention...way too bulky and heavy imho...for a big bore calibre i should think that any of the german or english offerings in s-by-s would be better choice...

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Combo guns [Re: DPhillips]
      #8589 - 10/02/04 06:17 AM

It was sea run. This is land locked fresh water.

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

#8607 - 10/02/04 10:55 AM

A few years ago the state fish and game did a fish survey below the dam at Lake Kocanusa. I can't remember if they "shocked" the fish or used chemicals but one of the trout they brought up weighed between 40 and 50 lbs, I can't remember exact weight. They turned it loose.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1584

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com