Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: African Greed??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
African Greed??
      #83696 - 08/08/07 06:58 AM

Maybe my timing is poor but after plains game I always wanted to hunt Buff in Tanzania or Zim-- but the immediate future is apparently not a good time.

I had planned on Big Buff in 2008 but Zim is a concern, Tanzania is consumed with upping their prices x 5, and now Zambia is considering doing away with their 10 day hunt.Namibia is considering redoing its pricing structure--DRAT!!

Looks like some African PH outfitters are going to take a hit next year.I guess it doesn't matter if there are enough with deep pockets to bridge the abyss.The rest of us hunters who work every day with dreams for Africa will have to put their dreams on hold-maybe permanently.

Supply and Demand does funny things---
Is the 7-10 day "economical" quality Buff/DG hunt gone forever?

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: African Greed?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #83701 - 08/08/07 09:35 AM

I believe that in Namibia the government is only looking at restructuring the prices on hunts conducted on government owned lands. I believe that if you were to look at a buffalo hunt in one of the tribal conservancies in the Caprivi, there won't be a problem. One outfitter/PH I can heartily recommend is Vaughan Fulton www.fultonclassicsafaris.com .

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: African Greed?? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #83706 - 08/08/07 10:27 AM

Get in while you can. Zimbabwe may still be reasonably priced while Mugabe is around, because a lot of people won't hunt there because of the problems. When he goes, it won't take long for Zim's prices to increase dramatically.

In the longer term the African's will price a lot of ordinary guys out of the market. Hell they have already. When they do this there will be less people in the West supporting hunting in Africa and eventually the greenies will close them largely down. JMO.

So you know the moral here. Do it while you can.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: African Greed?? [Re: NitroX]
      #83719 - 08/08/07 06:27 PM

I hate to sound negative because positive things rarely happen without positive actions but Africa is changing and not for the better!!

It is becoming a true rich mans playground.The working guy going on safari will become a faint memory.

Africa to the highest bidder??

I agree that without the "average"(not independently wealthy) heeled hunter Africa will soon dissappear as a possible hunting destination,its future determined by a minority.Game conservation by the greenies?? What a joke!!

African Dangerous game hunting. Basically Gone--

How Sad!!

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #83726 - 08/08/07 09:44 PM

I agree with what was said--this was also a concern while visiting with one of my booking agents yesterday.. he feels that Africa will indeed be only for the very wealthy in the days ahead--prices skyrocketing in Tanzania..he stated that Jeff in Botswana is getting up to $100,000 for a lion hunt.. not too many of my friends can afford that..

On the positive note, in reading this months "Hunting Report"..they state that 7 members just returned from Zim without a single problem.. however in Cameron there was some sort of attempted robbery---it was foiled, but there were some ak-47's fired during the incident..

Personally, I am still heading to Zim, as NitroZ stated, get them while you can.. I am very glad to have made that jorney a few times before all this started...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #83745 - 09/08/07 05:22 AM

My faternal grandpa was fond of saying, "Weight's (think WAIT!) what broke the wagon down!" And he couldn't have been more right, especially when it comes to hunting.

The time to do that African safari you've been dreaming about is RIGHT NOW, not "if", "and", "maybe", or "someday"!

You can do without another new car, or eating out five times a week; you can also do without a new boat, or another Rolex, or a ski trip to Aspen or a new couch, and you can also come with enough guts to tell you wife to lay off another $10,000 shopping spree at the mall in order to help you get to Africa for once, and for possibly the only time. House fluff and assorted other junk you'll never miss anyway can wait for a year or so. Every urban cowboy I can think of has all that stuff and lives that way, but few or none of them have ever been to Africa. You can also have a safe full of rifles that very seldom get used for hunting, like a lot of other guys I know!

Sell off some guns you don't need and put the rest into a safari. Africa won't alwasy be there, it'll never get cheaper, and you won't be getting any younger, you dreams won't get any sweeter, and the entire world is changing fast, so do that safari NOW, in the next year or two, while you still can.

You'll never regret it.............

AD

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: African Greed?? [Re: allenday]
      #83751 - 09/08/07 06:41 AM

Two safaris in one year??

My partners aren't talking to me cause of the extra work while I was gone and the office phone bill was $$$$ from Africa--

??The kids coould put off college for a while and the maybe the car can get by with 185,000 miles for another year or two--

The wife is unhappy she didn't go to Africa cause of the beautiful pictures-

Hey, Still if I take out that 3rd mortgage on the house and sell some guns--

Naw, I think I am screwed--

Maybe next year!!!

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: African Greed?? [Re: allenday]
      #83764 - 09/08/07 12:59 PM

Quote:

My faternal grandpa was fond of saying, "Weight's (think WAIT!) what broke the wagon down!" And he couldn't have been more right, especially when it comes to hunting.

The time to do that African safari you've been dreaming about is RIGHT NOW, not "if", "and", "maybe", or "someday"!

AD

Totally agree--Based on what is going on it will NEVER be cheaper than now--time to buck up and do the deal..You are right, all that other crap you have can always be bought--but at these rates, how long will you be able to afford a lion or elephant hunt.. One of my booking agents stated the elephants PH's he was booking for two years ago have increased the prices by 40 to 50%..I am actually checking into extending my lion hunt for next year and checking into a ele as well.. I will already be there, why not???

Ripp

--------------------

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: African Greed?? [Re: Ripp]
      #83794 - 10/08/07 01:57 AM

Don't jump off the bridge yet. Zambia still has ten day hunts, same as always. And, for the time being, Zim is still a good choice. Make your deposit, but with an agent in the US. I recomend Keith Atcheson.

JPK

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: African Greed?? [Re: JPK]
      #83795 - 10/08/07 02:13 AM

Zambia is lookiing better-
Buff + hippo + croc

JPK-
Thanks for the info!!

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: African Greed?? [Re: JPK]
      #83821 - 10/08/07 11:39 AM

Quote:

Don't jump off the bridge yet. Zambia still has ten day hunts, same as always. And, for the time being, Zim is still a good choice. Make your deposit, but with an agent in the US. I recomend Keith Atcheson.

JPK

I agree entirely with the Keith Atcheson choice--I have had all of my hides shipped to their office in Butte, MT--they have a great reputation ..

Ripp

--------------------

butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
Re: African Greed?? [Re: Ripp]
      #83848 - 11/08/07 02:24 AM

actually zambia doesn't have a 10 day thing, they use a 7 and 3 day combination to get it. mozm is another place, but isn't cheap either. zim is still the most cost effective, its just how long is it going to last.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1888

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com