Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Why I carry a Handgun--

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Why I carry a Handgun--
      #83796 - 10/08/07 02:23 AM

Read an excellent essay on carrying a handgun--

I agree.

http://munchkinwrangler.blogspot.com/2007/03/why-gun-is-civilization.html

What is not mentioned is the ability to assist others if such a situation occurs.

Does handgun carry make a difference?
My wife can guarantee you it does.A 357 snub prevented an assault/robbery outside a qwik mart store several years past.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (10/08/07 02:29 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: hoppdoc]
      #91547 - 14/12/07 04:19 PM

never leave home without a glock 21 in a blackhawk leather hi-ride and smith 642 in an ankle rig by bob mernickle...with +P CORBONS.

--------------------
One day at a time...

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: bigmaxx]
      #91558 - 14/12/07 08:25 PM

My Sheriff friend ran some interesting facts by me some months ago.In the Southeastern US around 2/3+ of of unprovoked assaults/attacks on men occur at night.They tend to be immediate affairs with gun,blunt instrument/tear gas etc. The attacks on women are much more frequent,initially less voilent and more coersive--they have a better chance to respond if armed with some DEVICE(gun/knife/pepper spray etc)--

What %chance would an individual in the US have to be involved in a random violent crime?? Supposedly about 5% of the population/year--
If you are out at night,deposit money,seem to have alot of cash,Yadda,yadda,yadda-- the risk would obviously go higher-

Criminal Forensics-When or where where would other forum members be at risk ??--they may wish to research this!!
?Could be where you are you don't need a handgun at all?!!

Edited by hoppdoc (14/12/07 08:36 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #91579 - 15/12/07 01:22 AM

Quote:

never leave home without a glock 21 in a blackhawk leather hi-ride and smith 642 in an ankle rig by bob mernickle...with +P CORBONS.

ditto that...never leave on a trip, drive, etc. without the glock 40 cal with me or the smith model 60 in .357 with 180 gr. casts intermixed with 165 gr. hollowpoints..never know who or what you might run into on the road..

True story..many years ago I was doing work in the "oil patch"--one day I got done early and decided to take the "scenic road home"---out in the middle of nowhere I ran across a van with several shady characters inside--as I went by, they hopped in their van,leaving their beer cans lying along side the road--they immediately drove behind my vehicle basically tailgating me--as I would slow or speed up they would as well... finally I reached under my seat and pulled out my loaded .357 mag. and made sure they saw what I had--HEY..guess what--they slowed and pulled off the side of the road and I never saw them again...when I got to the nearest town I reported the incident to the local authorities who told me they had been having problems in that particular stretch of road --apparently in at least 2 instances, individuals were being forced off the road, then assaulted, robbed and their vehicles were being vandalized... so YES..handguns can and do save lives...I have had 3 total in my life where if I would not have had one on me, either my life, or my family might have had dire consequences...

HANDGUNS...NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT ONE...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #91586 - 15/12/07 01:58 AM

I have carried a handgun for 20 years and I am not a peace officer. the reasons are explained best in the article you posted.
Quote:

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation...and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: foxfire]
      #91679 - 16/12/07 01:35 AM

Interesting article in this weeks NRA email info sent ..

Please read the following and realize the loony left's stand on guns..

Ripp

Outrage Of The Week! An Inane Statement

Friday, December 14, 2007

This week’s outrage comes courtesy of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” show co-host Mika Brzezinski, who apparently has a very hard time laying aside her anti-gun sentiments, even when confronted with the truth.

We all know that firearms are used as many as two and a half million times a year for self-defense. And, as we recently saw graphically demonstrated in the senseless shootings at the New Life Church in Colorado, a law-abiding, armed citizen can make a difference.

In the tragic New Life Church incident, Jeanne Assam, who, according to media reports, had a permit to carry a concealed firearm and was volunteering as a “security person” at her church, shot a heavily armed, homicidal madman as he began attacking innocent parishioners. New Life’s Senior Pastor Brady Boyd hailed Jeanne as “a real hero,” because the gunman she shot “had enough ammunition on him to cause a lot of damage.” There is no question that this brave citizen’s decisive action with her personal firearm saved many lives.

But, facts be damned. Brzezinski, who wasn’t in the church, but who appears daily as a co-host on the MSNBC morning program doesn’t agree.

When discussing the murderous rampage, Brzezinski responded to host Joe Scarborough’s assertion that “One person with a gun can make a big difference,” by blurting, “Oh gosh, no! No, no, no. No, no, no, no, no.” Scarborough then reiterated his assertion, “One person with a gun in the right place can make a big difference.” At this point, Brzezinski had clearly had enough of the truth and, putting an exclamation point on her unabashed anti-gun sentiments, said, “You know, that is the most inane statement I have ever heard.”

Ms. Brzezinski obviously can’t be bothered with undeniable evidence, nor restrained by a code of unbiased reporting. She can’t look at a crystal-clear example of evil being countered by an armed, law-abiding citizen and have the integrity and intellectual honesty to draw the correct conclusion. That’s outrageous.

To see a video clip of the exchange, please click here: http://www.nraila.org//news/read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=10366.

To respond to Ms. Brzezinski, please visit the MSNBC “Morning Joe” web page at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036789/, and send a message via the e-mail tool at the bottom of the page.

If you see something that you feel would be a good candidate for the “Outrage of the Week!” section, please send it to: freedomsvoice@nrahq.org. Please be sure to send additional background and citations where available.

--------------------

bigmaxx
.375 member

Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: Ripp]
      #103174 - 22/04/08 01:13 PM

Glock 21, best insurance money can buy. Glock 30 as a backup. carry 21 mags for use in either pistol.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
      #103778 - 28/04/08 06:16 PM

Glock 26 with a G19 magazine for reload. In the summertime it's my little S&W Model 49 Bodyguard in an ankle holster with a speedloader in the pocket.

I'd carry if I wasn't a cop, but after almost eight years I've sent a few folks to jail and prison. I'v run into people who know me even though I don't recall them. No way I'm walking around with my family and no carry.

I know officers who don't carry off duty. Okay good luck with that.

Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: Checkman]
      #103779 - 28/04/08 06:43 PM

Chekman, I also know a bunch who don't carry off duty, what the hell is up with that???????

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: Taos]
      #103781 - 28/04/08 08:29 PM

To respond to Ms. Brzezinski, please visit the MSNBC “Morning Joe” web page at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036789/, and send a message via the e-mail tool at the bottom of the page.

Please everyone respond.There is a good chance that the liberals will regain pivotal voting power in the states and the only thing that concerns them is a populace that will not elect them.

Would stupid Ms. Brzezinski say these things if she were the impending victim of a church shooter?? Idoubt it!!

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (28/04/08 08:35 PM)

Checkman
.333 member

Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: Taos]
      #103783 - 28/04/08 08:36 PM

Taos-

I have no idea why they do that. The only thing I can come up with is that there are cops who aren't into firearms. It's just one of the tools that come with the job and when they're off-duty the handgun is also. I think that's a pretty odd mindset, but there it is.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: Checkman]
      #103789 - 28/04/08 10:04 PM

When you can't carry the heavy artillery and summer is upon us a belly gun with a Barami grip and Tyler adapter at the waist is very concealable and can work well in light summer clothing. You can't be going about with a piece sticking out.

A small snub revolver is better than no gun at all--

--------------------

bigmaxx
.375 member

#103832 - 29/04/08 02:10 PM

i like snubs too. i got the new ruger LCP .380 a couple of weeks back for deep cover. i carry mine alot. its light and flat to pack. its 100% dependable so far. 200+ rounds. its about the size of a keltec, but it shoots! i know its a minimal caliber but i cant always carry anything better on my job. when i can i carry a glock 21 or 30. i carry a S&W 642 and a 37 some too.

--------------------
One day at a time...

hoppdoc
.400 member

#103843 - 29/04/08 10:25 PM

The new Ruger LCP is worth a look. 380 cal is a definite lightweight but better than smaller calibers.

Probably mental but I think I probably will stay with the 38+P's and the 357 snub revolvers. Whatever you shoot you should keep shooting the perp multiple times to put him down--

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#103852 - 29/04/08 11:12 PM

I work in a bank building and working late several evenings a week I generally throw a .380 in my pocket when I head back to work at night "just in case" someone decides to make a late night withdrawal..feel especially vulnerable from the time I leave my care until I get the door unlocked in the building...however agree..as a general carry, I like my model 60 S&W in .357...for knockdown power and overall feeling of security...or my Glock 40 cal. I keep in my desk drawer..

Ripp

--------------------

hoppdoc
.400 member

#103887 - 30/04/08 08:18 AM

Summer wear is a pain and usually calls for a belly gun to and from the car. The barami/tyler grips requires no holster so it works out for quick on, quick off scenarios.

At night when going out to public places the rules are different--I sometimes carry a small semi with a b/u clip, a folding knife and even a small flashlight on the belt.Paranoid?? Maybe--Pisses the wife off no end.Flashlight?? Why? Don't you want to see what you might shoot? You would be amazed how often you need a flashlight at night if you carry one regularly.Periodically, the knife is needed as well.The gun, hopefully never--

But different strokes for different folks!!

But if you feel lucky or know nothing bad can happen to you--leave everything at home!! You can always call the police if problems occur, right??

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (30/04/08 08:23 AM)

hoppdoc
.400 member

#104183 - 04/05/08 02:36 AM

I am going to have to rearrange my thoughts and bite my tongue!!

Regarding "mouse guns". Never could warm up to them---Handled a Ruger LCP 380.I like it. 6+1 capacity. It should be reliable. It weighs 9 oz and goes into a pocket better than my 9mm Kahr.If you shoot FMJ for penetration and make multiple hits it may be for real.I can carry it concealed in light summer shorts.

Never was impressed with Keltecs--

Thanks bigmaxx!!
I may buy this pocket 380!!It has a place with light summer clothes!!

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (04/05/08 02:40 AM)

hoppdoc
.400 member

#104721 - 11/05/08 10:07 AM

Thanks bigmaxx again!!

Bought this gun and have been runnig various ammo through it.

It has the energy of a 38 Special, is flat,pocket sized, and fits into a light pair of shorts great.

Mine shoots the 95 gr Winchester target FMG bullet reliably and more accurately than other types of ammo I have used.

Me carry a mousegun?? Embarrassing? Maybe--But only in the summer and only if I have nowhere else to stick something bigger!! The wife likes it as well!!

--------------------

Checkman
.333 member

#104731 - 11/05/08 01:31 PM

I'm a firearms instructor in my department. One of our reserve officers just purchased a Ruger LCP and I ran him through the qualification course last Tuesday. It performed flawlessly. After he was through I ran a couple of magazines through it.

I couldn't believe I was handling a Ruger. It felt like I was handling a Kel-Tec.I was told that Kel-Tec didn't copyright their engineering and that Ruger "improved" on it. Can't say beyond a doubt that this is accurate. I would have to tear down the Ruger and a Kel-Tec and compare the two of them. Nevertheless it isn't a bad little auto.

It's amazing what the company has been doing since the Ruger family left the company board (the family no longer has a femily memeber on the board of directors right?). Change for the sake of change isn't always the best thing, but there have been times in the past when I have felt like perhaps Ruger was just a little too conservative. And I'm a pretty conservative guy.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #104740 - 11/05/08 04:01 PM

I carry a CZ75 in 9mm.with hollow point bullets in my vehicle.I have found this weapon to be extremely reliable and accurate.Carrying the weapon is necessary as I usually carry cash from my place of business to the Bank.Although I have not yet had the need to use the gun and I wish I don't ever have to it is always good to be prepared and ready to use it.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: iqbal]
      #104744 - 11/05/08 06:30 PM

In the summer you could take the LCP along with a compact-full size high cap semi for carry and b/u as well as semiauto 7.62 in the truck.

Call me crazy but---
That way you could have a handgun for carry for most anything you would wear in the summer in the South and have a rifle for b/u-
And yes I am sandwiched between two large cities, both in the top 10 most violent cities in the nation.Sometimes its concerning living next to murder capitals in the South--

Used the truck 7.62 twice last year for traffic caused injury to suffering deer, and for coyotes and such--
Good to be able to have a carry handgun for carry no matter what you wear--Sound Weird??

*Rumor is the Kel tech mags will work in the Ruger LCP as well!!

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#104809 - 12/05/08 06:16 AM

Are things still going well with the new Ruger???

I am very interested in getting another "mouse gun"--as you stated for the summer --very easy to hide and yet there when you need it...

As to your flashlight--just bought a new Surefire today that supposedly was developed for undercover--it has two settings which occur by double tapping the on off button--first one is very bright and the battery will only last about 1.5 hours --however on the other setting which is enough to read with or normal use--per the factory specs--the battery will last 30 plus hours...spendy little shit though--about $110..

Congrats on the new Ruger-curious to see how that all goes.,.

Ripp

--------------------

hoppdoc
.400 member

#104831 - 12/05/08 10:05 AM

You wouldn't think you would need a flashlight at night but it seems I am always digging around for one.Easier to have one handy.

If we go out I will carry a small mag lite on the belt and a folding knife semi concealed inside the waistban and behind my belt, strongside.That way the butt isn't obviously hanging out a pocket.The firearm must be quick on, quick off. Keeps the wife from insulting Rambo and paranoid comments.Guess the boyscout in me keeps hollering what to do--

Ripp-
The LCP will be fine for the heat of the summer as my Kahr is to heavy for light shorts and requires heavier pants.Sometimes in the summer even a IWB belly gun is a pain!! The flatness of the Ruger is great and may even work in dress slacks??

Whatever--Seems like a good "mousegun" and has been 100% reliable. Better to have that than nothing.

Scary footnote--My insurance girl went to the local Regions bank at 10 am last Weds. and missed a holdup by 20 minutes at the Bank with 2 armed felons hassling customers and terrifying the tellers--Now she is scared and will only do the outside deposit---guess no ones safe anywhere anymore-

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#104855 - 12/05/08 01:10 PM

It would appear in most areas anymore you always have to be on the lookout..we experienced 2 murders in the state last week as well...one with a knife --the other strangled..

As to the flashlight--if you want to temporarily blind someone the Surefire will do it..unbelievable how bright they are...which could give you that extra second or two if needed to pull out the heat...

Thanks
Ripp

--------------------

Rick_R
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: WV, USA
      #104905 - 13/05/08 12:58 AM

I've been a Deputy Sheriff for 25 years and a firearms instructor for almost 20. There are some guys that just don't believe that they could become a victim and don't want the bother of carrying off duty. Others change guns like underwear and still can't hit anything

I wear short pants with a belt and T-shirts/polo shirts a size too large during the summer and my normal off duty weapon is a Springfield Armory Loaded 1911A1 in .45acp in a Wm Davis inside the pants holster. I usually carry one extra magazine in my left rear jeans pocket. CRKT M16 knife and Surefire G36 go along for the ride too.

I've never had to use a weapon while off duty, but with my luck as soon as I became lazy and quit carrying, some bad guy would come along and my name would end up in the "Victim" section of a complaint report. I've spent too much money on guns, ammo and practice and my department has spent too much money on training to let that ever happen.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11424

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com