Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Does anyone know what model Mauser this is?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Levallois
.300 member

Reged: 27/11/03
Loc: Arizona, USA
Does anyone know what model Mauser this is?
      #82817 - 22/07/07 05:36 AM

Hello folks,

I recently saw a Mauser like the one at the bottom of this ad (that I borrowed from somewhere else in the forum) - the so-called "Roosevelt." I had never seen another one like it but I'm interested in learning more. Does anyone read German or have a sense of what this model was called, or where to look in reference material? Thank you for your time!

John

[image][/image]

--------------------
It ain't like it used to be, but it'll do.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stuart
.275 member

Reged: 24/05/07
Loc: Mission, B.C., Canada
Re: Does anyone know what model Mauser this is? [Re: Levallois]
      #82825 - 22/07/07 06:46 AM

I'm no expert on Mausers aber ich kann ein bißchen Deutsch . "Schwerkalibrige-Repetier-Büchsen" means "heavy-calibre repeating rifle". "Tropen" means "tropical" and "5 schüssig" means "five shots." No surprises there. Unfortunately I can't read the very tiny type under the "Roosevelt" model, so I can't help with the small print, so to speak. If you have a larger version of the ad where the small type is legible, e-mail it to me at "josquin@shaw.ca" and I'll have a go at it. If not, I'm sure there are some native/fluent German speakers on the forum who can help out.

Stuart

--------------------
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by
smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles
who really mean it. (Mark Twain)

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Does anyone know what model Mauser this is? [Re: Stuart]
      #82850 - 22/07/07 02:37 PM

Levallois:
The Mauser dealers and agents of the time called these the African model. The long barrel and long forend. I know of two for Sale in the Houston Area. They are beutiful and well balanced rifles. The reason for the long forend is a bit of a mystery to me. The sights could be Fixed, express multileaf or tangent milirary type (even on a sporting gun). Calibers range from 7X57 up to the 10.75X68.
Many had double set triggers. Not what most want on a dangerous game rifle. I am facinated by Mauser sporters, but sometimes don't see the ideas like this one well thought out or practicle.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Levallois
.300 member

Re: Does anyone know what model Mauser this is? [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #82851 - 22/07/07 03:02 PM

Stuart and 88MauSporter,

Thank you for replying. Sounds like the partial ad translation was probably trying to sell the "African Model." I like the way they look. What are they asking for the two rifles in the Houston area? The one I saw at the gun show was expensive enough to make me limp for 5 minutes after looking at the price tag.

John

--------------------

88MauSporter
.375 member

#82903 - 23/07/07 08:24 AM

They were part of a consignment of a collection being sold by Collectors Firearms in Houston, TX. I will try to go by there and look. they don't show on their web site. I know some of the other Mausers were in the US $3000 range.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Levallois
.300 member

#82994 - 24/07/07 01:25 PM

88MauSporter,

That would be great - Thanks!

John

--------------------

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #83022 - 25/07/07 06:28 AM

I am not an expert on every model of early Mauser Sporter, but I love those old rifles.
I have made 2 of them in years past, like the one in the picture, I used GEW-98 actions and followed the old style as closely as I could, from the few I have gotten to handle, and a lot of old pictures.
Getting the barrels in the old 28" length is a bit of a trick, but they can be had by calling around. I found 2 years ago in Montana. The man I got them from said they were old Buhiemiller barrels. I assume he was right, but I don't know for sure.

I made one in a standard 8mm, and another in 338-06.
These are very classy rifles, and they were a lot of fun to make. Too bad I could not keep them.

Steve

88MauSporter
.375 member

Re: Does anyone know what model Mauser this is? [Re: szihn]
      #83039 - 25/07/07 11:17 AM

Levallois : I made a stop at Collectors in Houston. The Africa models are gone. One was and 8X60 and the other a 7mm. I handled them a few months ago. One had standard leaf sights and the other with sights and a claw mount scope of appropriate vintage. Light color wood and traditional Mauser bolt handle. The collection was a mix of vintage Mauser banner rifles. They all had price tags I usually won't consider no matter how much I want them. The long 28-29" barrels, long slinder forearms with ebony tips, lever floorplate openers. Supple swept grip with classic steel skeletal cap and checkerd steel butt. Light and balanced like a graceful ballerina.
They do have a romance and air of class about them. Most quality german sporters did.
Sorry they were no longer there.

--------------------

Levallois
.300 member

#83097 - 26/07/07 02:16 PM

88MauSporter,

I appreciate you making the effort!

John

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2621

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com