Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: DR Rechambering Question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
MK3769
.224 member

Reged: 23/07/07
Loc: Florida, USA
DR Rechambering Question
      #83016 - 25/07/07 02:54 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum, but have been reading posts for quite some time now. There has been discussion on the Pedersoli Kodiak Mk.IV - a lot of positives and negatives. Let's assume I have this double rifle in .45-70 and let's assume that I will rechamber it for African DG. Again I've read both positive and negative opinions on doing this. Aside from the .450 #2 NE (and the black powder round covered recently in Gun Digest), what other DG rechambering possibilities exist?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: DR Rechambering Question [Re: MK3769]
      #83028 - 25/07/07 09:42 AM

This was discussed at length recently on another thread. The difficulties are.

1) Apparently the barrels are brazed together, so regulation for a different caliber will be a bitch.
2)Apparently it has been done into a 450#2, this is the lowest pressure of all the NE rounds. Nobody is prepared to commit to a higher pressure cartridge and nobody has built one because of point 1. Some got it to regulate others did not.
3) If you are going to the trouble there are better actions availible.

Regards

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: DR Rechambering Question [Re: Bramble]
      #83065 - 26/07/07 01:38 AM

Ive pondered this project too, and frankly the cost of the rifle, plus the rechamber, and ONLY the possiblity of success, has kept me away. The cost of a new or used proven DG double is hefty, but the cost of the Pedersoli and conversion is really high if it doesnt work.

For the lower 48 I wouldnt hesitate to use the rifle just as it comes. 45-70 isnt a magnum but even the BP equiv. loadings offer more than enough for US non dangerous game.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: DR Rechambering Question [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #83073 - 26/07/07 05:00 AM

Quote:

The cost of a new or used proven DG double is hefty, but the cost of the Pedersoli and conversion is really high if it doesnt work.

That's the problem with the Pedersoli today. Back when they cost what they're actually worth ($1,500-2,000), the crap shoot with the regulation found a few takers. I'm aware of conversions to .450 No. 2, .450 Nitro Express, and .458 RCBS that were successfully done then, with good regulation. At today's prices, it's a non-starter. You're better off buying a better rifle and caliber.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: DR Rechambering Question [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #83105 - 26/07/07 10:42 PM

Welllllll, I suppose if you already have it, your other option is to load it with the "magnum"45-70's and use it. I for one am not convinced its up to the hot loadings of say the Ruger No1, and that beggs the question of useing a 45-70 on DG.

Its a neat gun, use the 45-70 within its limits. If you're buying a Pedersoli, order the 9.3x74 and take it around the world.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

BigMike
.224 member

Reged: 25/03/07
Loc: HoosierLand
Re: DR Rechambering Question [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #83108 - 26/07/07 11:45 PM

I have a Pedersoli in 45-70 & am following this thread with interest.In the case of my rifle the only need I can come up with is more powder capacity to push bullets above 4oo grains fast enough to reach regulation velocity without excessive pressure.My rifle will shoot up to 425 grain cast at regulation velocity-1770 FPS.I can't see enough gain to go with rechambering to something bigger,
even 45-90 or similar Cal. because of anticipated regulation problems with heavier bullets than what works now.Mine shoots any weight from 300 to 400 plus pretty good but the heavier they get the tighter the regulation velocity gets.300 grainers have a range of plus or minus 60-70 FPS while
the 425's have a window of only about plus or minus 20 FPS for good regulation.
I believe that the advice given above about a 9.3 x 74R or even a different model would be money much better spent than the allmost certain regulation problems you would get with a rechamber.If the truth is known the 45-70 will handle about anything this side of Alaska & Africa except the ones
that bite and is better than a big club even then.Find what works in the 45-70 and respect its limits.

Big Mike

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 901

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com