Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Finally...My Holy Grail! (Savage 99 .375 Win)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
SCGunNut
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/06
Loc: South Carolina
Finally...My Holy Grail! (Savage 99 .375 Win)
      #82845 - 22/07/07 12:18 PM

The long search is finally over. I have wanted, looked for, dreamed about, lusted over a Savage 99 in .375 Win. for over 20 years. I had never seen one in the flesh, anywhere, nor do I personally know anybody else who had ever laid eyes on one. I've passed up Marlins, Winchesters, T/Cs and Ruger #3's in .375 many times because the 99 was the one I was holding out for. Don't know why it has been such a passion to find one but it has been. You guys certainly understand. I've seen 99's in all the other chamberings (with the exception of 7mm-08) but never a .375. I have combed every gun show I've ever attended to no avail. The few I called about in Gun List were always gone. I don't have to tell you 99 freaks what prices .375's have been bringing in recent years and had decided there was no point in me even trying to bid on one on any of the auction sites. Until 2 weeks ago. There was a minty .375 Brush Gun on Gun Broker with a starting bid of $999 and one bid. Past auctions had shown that recent ones had sold for $1395 to as much as $2500 so I knew this one would go for big bucks. With less than 2 hours to go, the bid was only up to $1008 so a bid of $1100 was placed. I REALLY could not afford this right now but I figured it was a safe bet that it would go for well over $1100. My bid took it to $1033 and somehow the planets aligned and nobody else bid! It arrived a couple days ago. It is absolutely cherry with outstanding feather crotch in the butt. There isn't a scratch on it, just a few very tiny "handling marks". The blue is pristine. I doubt it was ever hunted with. I wish I could post pictures to show off my prize but I'm a technological moron and don't even own a digital camera. Perhaps I'll seek help from a buddy. It took over 2 decades but it was worth it. I figured one day I'd find a used, abused one for too much money somewhere but this one is beyond my hopes and expectations. I can assure you this one will be used for its intended purpose, putting meat in the freezer! A safe queen this one will no longer be! Life is good...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Finally...My Holy Grail! (Savage 99 .375 Win) [Re: SCGunNut]
      #82919 - 23/07/07 11:51 AM

SCGunNut,

Don't you know that to get full bragging rights and congratulations from all of us folk here you need to post pictures of your newest sweetheart?

Congratulations and great hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Finally...My Holy Grail! (Savage 99 .375 Win) [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #82928 - 23/07/07 02:15 PM

Congratulations.

What sort of projectiles do you plan to shoot through your Savage 99 .375, seeing it has a box magazine? Interested in what your thoughts are. Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

SCGunNut
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/06
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Finally...My Holy Grail! (Savage 99 .375 Win) [Re: NitroX]
      #82990 - 24/07/07 11:54 AM

For the time being, I'll shoot the factory load. When I get around to loading for it, the 200 gr Sierra, 220 Hornady and 255 Barnes will all likely get a workout.

.275 member

Reged: 26/01/07
Loc: Wangaratta/Victoria/Australia
Re: Finally...My Holy Grail! (Savage 99 .375 Win) [Re: SCGunNut]
      #83002 - 24/07/07 10:07 PM

Congratulations on buying the Savage 99 in 375! It took about 5 years for me to get a Savage 99 in 358, they are both great calibres in a great rifle!

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Finally...My Holy Grail! (Savage 99 .375 Win) [Re: 308]
      #83006 - 24/07/07 11:51 PM

Do any of you know a gunsmith who does good custom work on the Savage Model 99? I have a rotary magazine 308 Winchester that I would like to re-stock and rebarrel. Thanks.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Finally...My Holy Grail! (Savage 99 .375 Win) [Re: Tatume]
      #83023 - 25/07/07 06:40 AM

Congrats on a successful mining operation!

Yes, coming up with one of them is like coming up with a 2 oz. nugget of gold in the trout stream. Though I don't own one, I've always liked them a lot. I had no idea they cost that much.

A good friend of mine has a Marlin in .375. With it he experienced one of the weirdest ballistic occurrences I've heard of.

He shot a broadside-standing deer at about 30 yards. At the shot the critter dropped and when he approached it he saw something shiney lying on the ground near its hind feet. He stooped down and picked up...the bullet, barely expanded and shaped like a banana!

The shot struck at the shoulder, veered, travelled the length of the critter and exited the ham that was facing him, and actually flew several feet toward him before it petered out and dropped!

I believe the round was the old 250 Winchester factory load {he doesn't handload}. Very strange!

The .375 Win would be a prime candidate for a flatpoint .375 cast bullet {better yet, a heavyweight hollow pointed cast bullet like a scaled-down version of my Lee 402 grain .45 caliber} and the load you intend to hunt with {this applies to any new load in any caliber, really} might benefit from some prehunt testing in ballistic media like my boards and jugs. I have a hunch that due to the relatively low velocities you might see a wide variance in expansion from the various bullets available.

You have THE GUN tho for that caliber, as you can load pointed bullets or flats due to the magazine, and if you want to use a heavy bullet, you might find that hollowpointing it gives you fast opening and deep penetration. I have found that using my Forster Hollow Pointer allows me to radically alter the performance of a variety of bullets, particularly "hard ones" intended for higher velocities than they are used in. You might try the Hornady 225 SP when you get to handloading it. This is not the 220 FP and is made for .375 H&H Mag velocities I believe. I generally prefer RN's but that bullet just might be a winner at topend velocity in the .375 Win.

Keep us posted on your load development, and when you send a picture in after hunting season we hope to see some bluing wear and a rack on the wall to-boot!!

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (25/07/07 09:48 AM)

Rustyzipper
.275 member

Reged: 20/10/03
Loc: North of the Zambezi, in Miser...
Re: Finally...My Holy Grail! (Savage 99 .375 Win) [Re: 9.3x57]
      #83029 - 25/07/07 09:54 AM

I haven't found a 99 in 375 Win. Mine came from Alaska in .358 Winchester. What a gun. I will give you more congrats when we see the pictures of YOUR new baby. Good luck. RustyZipper

--------------------
NMLRA Life, NRA Annual,DRSS, .......

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Finally...My Holy Grail! (Savage 99 .375 Win) [Re: Rustyzipper]
      #85156 - 05/09/07 04:43 AM

SCGN- congratulations - I surely love my little Big Bore '94 top eject, same calibre.
: 2 moose early 80's with 220gr. Hornady FN's at a mere 1,940fps, light load. One went 1-1/2 steps, the other 4 steps.
: For a pointy bullet, there now is a 225gr. Hornady SP.
: Accuracte Arms 1680 will give the highest velocities;
; I now chose a case full of either H322 or H335 with the 220gr. FN, Neither is top velocity, but they shoot more accurately in my carbine, both holding 1-1/2" at 100 meters, with the express-type sight I filed out form the factory one, ivory bead up front. With the performance so far, they are all that's necessary for moose or elk. I would not feel undergunned for bear, either, including griz.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4014

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com