Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A quest, and its unique prize

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
David_Hulme
.275 member

Reged: 28/03/07
Loc: Zimbabwe
A quest, and its unique prize
      #82972 - 24/07/07 04:26 AM

[URL= ][IMG]

Hello

Here are a couple of pictures of a buffalo cow taken by Weldon Schenck, in Chewore in the early 90’s, with Roger Whittall Safaris. I think you’ll all agree that it’s a remarkable specimen. There is also an interesting little story behind the taking of it.

During the course of his highly successful maiden safari with RWS, Weldon and the guys he was hunting with spotted this old cow in a herd as huge as only Chewore herds can get. Naturally, from the moment he saw it, Weldon wanted that buffalo. Unfortunately, there were no spare cow tags available that season. The hunters observed the cow for as long as possible, which was a fair time as the herd was moving slowly over relatively open country and the wind was good. One thing that was noted was how the cow grazed on slopes and mounds – she simply could not get lips to short grass on flat ground!

Weldon’s safari ended and he returned home to South Carolina. But, try as he may, he could not get that cow out of his mind. Then followed plans to return and a number of phone calls to Roger Whittall, as a return to Chewore was pieced together. During the course of these calls, talk of the buffalo cow often took place. Was the cow dead? She had seemed very old and there are many lions in Chewore. Maybe someone else would shoot her? Surely nobody with a cow tag could pass her up? If she was alive, what chance was there that she could be found again in an area as vast and rugged as Chewore? Weldon knew his only chance of figuring out the answers was to return to Chewore. Two years after his first trip, he did exactly that.

Roger assigned our company big game hunting guru, Magara Dirapenga, to Weldon for that hunt. Everyone knew that if anyone could find that cow, it would be Magara. Days and days of hard hunting ensued, and thousand of buffalo were looked at. Eventually the hunters struck gold, and now the awesome trophy that was the result of that two year quest hangs above the fireplace in the Hammond Camp, here in the Save Conservancy.

An aside: Those first two hunting trips of Weldon’s set the tone for what is today a very strong bond between the Schenck family and this country. The Schencks have owned Hammond for over a dozen years now and my parents manage it for them. This family has done a great deal of good for many people in this area. I know I speak for those many when I say how grateful we all are. I find it remarkable that good people like these put their effort and money into protecting and developing this little patch of darkest Africa, when they certainly don’t need to. Especially now, as the last bulb dims and flickers and it becomes darker still…..

Well, I thought you may be interested in that little tale of hunting determination. The lesson I see here is go and find what you want, and don’t give up. This has got me to wondering what this cow measures? I’ll check in the morning.

Have a good day

Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: A quest, and its unique prize [Re: David_Hulme]
      #82974 - 24/07/07 05:26 AM

Very interesting story. Thank you.

> One thing that was noted was how the cow grazed on slopes and mounds – she simply could not get
> lips to short grass on flat ground!

A few years ago I shot an old whitetail deer doe. When I examined her jaw I couldn't understand how she survived at all. She had a deformed lower jaw and such a serious overbite that I couldn't understand how she got enough to eat. Maybe she fed in a fashion similar to your cow buffalo.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1180

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com