Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ross M-10 sporter

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Ross M-10 sporter
      #82636 - 19/07/07 02:28 AM

Here's a question for the Canadian contingent: I have a Ross Model 10 sporter in caliber .280 Ross which I have had for some time but have never fired. One reason is lack of suitable bullets and cases, which I realize are as close as Huntington's, (I have a set of RCBS dies) but another is the sights, or rather lack of them. Long range shooting with open sights is beyond my capability,

What I'm looking for is either a receiver sight or a scope mount which is specifically intended for the rifle and would not require extensive modifications to attach. My book on Ross rifles shows a picture of one M-10 equipped with a Lyman 48 sight, but notes that milling was required to make it fit.

Any Ross experts out there?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Ross M-10 sporter [Re: xausa]
      #82653 - 19/07/07 02:05 PM

You've probably heard this before, but be very careful in assembling the bolt after cleaning.

A Ross bolt can be assembled in such a way as to allow the bolt to be pushed forward, "feel" like it is in battery, but the lugs are not engaged. In such a very dangerous condition, the rifle can be fired.

I read of this for many years without personal witness of it until last winter, when a local gentleman touched off an improperly assembled Ross at the range just out of town. The bolt flew out of the receiver, struck him on the face and he suffered severe injuries, including having a portion of his facial bones carried away by the impact.

I identified the rifle and condition of assembly for the county Sheriff, and it was only later in the spring when a boy playing in the weeds at the range found the bolt. No indication of stripping in action or on lugs, or any indication that the lugs had ever seated.

Be careful. This one is NOT an old wive's tale.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Ross M-10 sporter [Re: 9.3x57]
      #82674 - 20/07/07 01:26 AM

Thanks for the warning, 9ThreeXFifty7! It is a factor I'm acutely aware of in dealing with Ross rifles in general. It's easy enough to tell whether the bolt is assembled correctly and the locking lugs are camming into the recesses, but all it takes is one moment of absentmindednessfor disaster to strike.

I'm a little leery of straight pull rifles in general, although I have never heard anything negative about the Swiss M-31 and the Steyr Mannlicher rifles. A while back there was a story on the internet about a Lee Navy 6mm rifle blowing up and killing the shooter, but an eye-witness report led me to conclude that the shooter was using cases with insufficient neck clearance, which could wreck the strongest of actions.

A number of low-numbered Springfields and Model 95 Winchesters in caliber .30-'06 were wrecked by shooters attempting to fire 8X57 Mauser ammunition (presumably WWI bring-backs) in them. Some of the chambers were loose enough to allow the action to close and the round to fire, but, of course, there was insufficient neck clearance to release the bullet.

It's always a good idea to check fired cases to determine that a bullet will easily slide into the expanded neck. If not, neck turning or reaming is called for.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Ross M-10 sporter [Re: xausa]
      #82739 - 20/07/07 11:56 PM

Can't help with sight recommendations, sorry, but would like to add that I bought a Ross M-10 .303 in standard military form many years ago, specifically to find out first-hand about this 'dangerous bolt mis-assembly' thing. I have to agree with xausa, in that you would have to be a complete dunce to mis-assemble the bolt in the first place, and then to not notice this condition when chambering a round....? Well...! And this applies to the 'local gentleman' in your home-town too, 9ThreeXFifty7!

Obviously some of the Canadian conscripts were none too bright either, as deaths are recorded, so a fool-proof modification consisting of a pin through the top of the bolt was introduced (in 1912?) to prevent this from happening. Certainly, all the ex-mil Ross rifles sold in the US after WW2 have the pin, according to Stebbins. This might be a useful modification to an M-10 sporter if you were really worried, but I suspect it would harm the collector value. If you are already milling for sights, though....

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Ross M-10 sporter [Re: Marrakai]
      #82909 - 23/07/07 10:43 AM

Just to add:

The felow locally here that was injured did not apparently reassemble the bolt himself. He inherited the gun and it had last been messed with by a gunsmith some years ago who had refinished the gun. Bolt came "assembled" with the gun so our guy just loaded it and pulled the trigger.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2272

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com