Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser 03 & New 98's??? Jewels or Junk??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Mauser 03 & New 98's??? Jewels or Junk??
      #82598 - 17/07/07 10:40 PM

I have not handled or seen up close either the 03 or new-made 98. What sort of quality are they? Are they any good?

What sort of value for the money? Over-priced "lookers" or reliable "users"?

The Mauser company's reinventing of the wheel for the past 40 years has sort-of turned me off, but the pictures I've seen of the 03 look interesting. And glad to see a 98 back in the stable, too, if...it really is a 98!

I am really interested in an honest report on these guns.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Mauser 03 & New 98's??? Jewels or Junk?? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #82635 - 19/07/07 01:47 AM

I don't particularly like the safety on a M03, however they probably could be gotten used to. I probably would not want that safety on a dangerous game calibre.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

saladin
.224 member

Reged: 11/10/07
Loc: australia
Re: Mauser 03 & New 98's??? Jewels or Junk?? [Re: NitroX]
      #87301 - 17/10/07 07:05 PM

Price-wise, in australian dollars, the M-03 is between $3,200 and $4,000 ( i think). The M-98, i was told, is well over $10,000!!!!!! i got these prices probably 18 months ago from a dealer in melbourne, australia.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Mauser 03 & New 98's??? Jewels or Junk?? [Re: saladin]
      #87302 - 17/10/07 07:32 PM

I like the M03.

About the only thing I didn't like about it
was the very high rear sight - typically German
even though I have a similar one on my 9.3 x 64.

But apart from that I was impressed.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Mauser 03 & New 98's??? Jewels or Junk?? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #87303 - 17/10/07 07:53 PM

The ones I've seen and played with at the toystore seemed like the first versions of the CZ a few years back. Not very impressive. They wanted to capitalize on the Mauser brand but can't seem to sell them. They do sit around for quite a while. If you want to get a Mauser, then get a real Mauser, not the cheap version.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Mauser 03 & New 98's??? Jewels or Junk?? [Re: 475Guy]
      #87351 - 18/10/07 09:25 AM

I've played with them. Too fiddly. Not really worth the money. A Ruger is just as good, Dakota way better.

However, the de-cock is going to be required in Europe, if not now.

CWJ1898
.275 member

Reged: 28/01/09
Loc: LA, USA
Re: Mauser 03 & New 98's??? Jewels or Junk?? [Re: bonanza]
      #160625 - 18/05/10 03:38 AM

I have acquired both an M03 in 7x64 Brenneke and a Mauser Magnum in .416 Rigby. Suffice it to say the Mauser Magnum is everything one might expect in a rifle of that price range and mine is superbly made and functions without flaw. Regarding the Mauser M03, I purchased with the intent of possessing a flexible rifle that was easily taken down, packed and permitted the change over of calibers. In the time I write this I can convert the M03 from .222 Remington to .458 Lott by simply changing the bolt head, detachable magazine and barrel (optics must be removed as well). I must admit I was not sure I would like the rifle as I usually shy away from the latest rifle models, however after using it in the field and traveling with it I am very impressed with the features, construction, accuracy (which is first rate) and the scope mounting system (one of the M03's best features as mine provides a 100% repeatable zero when the scope is removed). The rifle (as I understand it, is made by Blaser) and it employes their know how on rifle take down systems, however I much prefer it over their R-93 series (head and shoulders prefer it). Much has been made of the safety/cocking system and I found it took a bit of getting used to but well worth it considering the measure of safety it provides when hunting in a group or stalking. It is not an inexpensive rifle and my take on it is that if you buy the M03 it is with the intention of aquiring multiple calibers for a wide range of hunting, if you purchase it for just one caliber you still have a great firearm but are largely missing the point on its purpose of design. Of the post-war Mauser offerings I would have to state it is the best of the bunch.

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Mauser 03 & New 98's??? Jewels or Junk?? [Re: CWJ1898]
      #160626 - 18/05/10 04:13 AM

Me too are fiddling with one day, to get M03 Mauser as new gun. The safety isn`t the best..when that said, the last one I hand in my hand , The "Outback" model, the safety worked perfectly!.
I like the fit N´feel of the Mauser M03, more than any other factory gun I have had in my hands or seen for a long time.
MY big problem is this though. My gunsafe is packed with the original M98s, and some of them I haven`t even shot yet, that I would consider unfair for them if I went to buy a new Mauser....hahaha
Of the people I know here in Denmark, I have only heard well about the Mauser. The shoot very accurate.
If I ever get a brainstroke, and decide to sell all my pre WW1 sporters, it would definatly be in exchange to the M03. I believe with that gun, Mauser has finally reclaimed world dominans, and conquered lost territory.

Edited by rigbymauser (18/05/10 04:15 AM)

CWJ1898
.275 member

Re: Mauser 03 & New 98's??? Jewels or Junk?? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #160632 - 18/05/10 05:46 AM

Rigbymauser,
I agree with you completely on the handling aspects of the M03- one of the best factory guns I have possessed in many years. The only detracting issue I have found with my M03 Standard (walnut stocked) Model is the use of composites in the magazine release (forward of the magazine) and the magazine follower (disappointing but not all that surprising). You have a rather envious problem with the pre-WWI Mauser Sporting Rifles, however I will tell you my pre-WWII Mauser Sporters seem to have gotten along quite well with the M03!

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #160655 - 19/05/10 12:10 AM

I don't love the safety of the Mauser 03, but for a takedown gun I think I would choose it over any takedown Mauser except for one built by Joe Smithson (25-30K).

rigbymauser
.400 member

#160657 - 19/05/10 12:48 AM

Quote:

Rigbymauser,
I agree with you completely on the handling aspects of the M03- one of the best factory guns I have possessed in many years. The only detracting issue I have found with my M03 Standard (walnut stocked) Model is the use of composites in the magazine release (forward of the magazine) and the magazine follower (disappointing but not all that surprising). You have a rather envious problem with the pre-WWI Mauser Sporting Rifles, however I will tell you my pre-WWII Mauser Sporters seem to have gotten along quite well with the M03!

..hahahaha...maybe I`LL ought to do a social experiment..

Just last week I was standing with a M03 model OUTBACK in 30-06 and was thinking " if I get this gun..I`LL never need another"..What then?

CWJ1898
.275 member

#160723 - 20/05/10 03:52 AM

Rigbymauser,
By no means permit that to happen! I truly feel for the man who has every gun he needs- because you can always use another. In any case I did want to address a portion of the original topic concerning the new Mauser M-98s. I do have one in .416 Rigby and as previously stated it is a fine rifle. I contacted Mauser USA (San Antonio, TX) and inquired about another one- this time chambered in an 8x68S. It seems the Euro/Dollar rate has had a large impact on prices and my understanding is that the Mauser M-98 in both standard and magnum is now hovering at $14,000- a good bit more than I wanted to pay! The rifle is made by Prechtl of Germany and they have a good English language web site (google Prechtl), the barrel apparently is made by Heym. Mauser's web site states they have drafted the rifle on the original 1936 drawings however when looking at Mr. Speed's Original Mauser Sporting Rifles I did not find a reference (anyone in the know please enlighten me- thank you!). I have not yet, but intend to, have it sent back to Germany for claw mount preparation as the rifle has a double square bridge receiver just perfect for such an application. The stock and all other components are top notch construction and I particularly like the sites- simple and as sturdy as I have ever witnessed. Overall a phenomenal rendition of a 112 year old design- amazing how something, in this day and age, that was developed that many years ago is as relavent today as it was back then. In fact deviate from the M-98 design and you are most likely doing something wrong. Mr. Paul Mauser was quite a man.

rigbymauser
.400 member

#160725 - 20/05/10 04:28 AM

Quote:

Rigbymauser,
I have not yet, but intend to, have it sent back to Germany for claw mount preparation as the rifle has a double square bridge receiver just perfect for such an application. The stock and all other components are top notch construction and I particularly like the sites- simple and as sturdy as I have ever witnessed. Overall a phenomenal rendition of a 112 year old design- amazing how something, in this day and age, that was developed that many years ago is as relavent today as it was back then. In fact deviate from the M-98 design and you are most likely doing something wrong. Mr. Paul Mauser was quite a man.

I went for recknagels G9 mount on my .416Rigby. Scopemounts were milled out in the bridges.

The G9 solution offer versatillity, where the Suhler Einhack (SEM) is fixed on one scope, once the job is done. Just a good piece of advice from here.

The .416Rigby caliber offers versatillity in form of the great bullet selection. MY 240 grain Impalas are reaching over 3200Ft/sec and loaded with 500 grain hawks I approuch a small .500jeffery.
With that kind of caliber, its nice to put on a high magnifying scope on for the speedsters, and
short compacts for short range..if one does not use express sights. My ironsights are regulated for the heavy 450grain woodleighs @ 2300fT/sec.

Edited by CptCurl (29/08/10 09:44 PM)

CWJ1898
.275 member

#160730 - 20/05/10 06:12 AM

Rigbymauser,
Thank you for the advice. I have a similar arrangement on a Walter Roll Mauser and like it very much. Cost dependent I would like to send mine back and have Mauser (or Prechtl) execute their turret style mounting system but again will have to weigh my options. Yes Sir, nothing quite like the ol' Rigby for versatility!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#160747 - 20/05/10 01:15 PM

Quote:

I don't particularly like the safety on a M03, however they probably could be gotten used to. I probably would not want that safety on a dangerous game calibre.

I must retract the comment. Used a borrowed (from a fellow forum member) M03 on a hunt, and as a result I am sure the safety is fine and with practice would not be a problem. The only real issue is cocking the rifle carefully so no click is heard.

rigbymauser,

A question regarding your rifle on the photos. Nice looking rifle BTW.

Can the Mauser safety be operated easily when a scope is mounted?

From the photo it looks like it clears the scope, but just interested in how easily it can be operated. Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

rigbymauser
.400 member

#160778 - 20/05/10 11:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I must retract the comment. Used a borrowed (from a fellow forum member) M03 on a hunt, and as a result I am sure the safety is fine and with practice would not be a problem. The only real issue is cocking the rifle carefully so no click is heard.

rigbymauser,

A question regarding your rifle on the photos. Nice looking rifle BTW.

Can the Mauser safety be operated easily when a scope is mounted?

From the photo it looks like it clears the scope, but just interested in how easily it can be operated. Thanks.

My safety have only to be lifted 30degress, and its "safe". I know a M70 style safety is way more practical, but as it was my first true customrifleproject, and wanted to be loyal to "Mauser" and not to "winchester", I wanted to wingsafety.
My next customrifle either in .375 or .400 H&H, will be with fitted with the M70 style safety.

Edited by rigbymauser (21/05/10 08:21 PM)

CWJ1898
.275 member

#160784 - 21/05/10 03:02 AM

NitroX:
I have not experienced any issues with scope clearance while manipulating the safety. The Mauser scope mount easily offers enough clearance for my 1" Zeiss 3-9x42 Diavari and would assume 30mm tubes would be just fine as well. Although once again, as you point out, practice is paramount. If one is used to a wing type safety you will likely revert back to that "muscle memory" exercise and forget that the M03 is in your hands. I have also not experienced any issues with the safety/cocking engagement in so far as noise is concerned. There is a signature but I would rate it lower than most M70 style safety mechanisms.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#160810 - 21/05/10 02:54 PM

CWJ

No problem, I didn't think that the M03 would have a problem with scope clearance, just the M98 wing safety as I do have rifles with wing safeties which didn't clear. But a different standard of rifle displayed here.

The M03 safety can have noise problems, but with practice can usally be avoided.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

404bearslayer
.300 member

Reged: 28/04/09
Loc: Germany
      #161176 - 29/05/10 10:48 PM

I shoot the M03 'Jagdmatch' version in .300 WM , 6.5x65 and .404 Jeffrey. I can say without hesitation that it is the most precise rifle I have ever shot in my life. With Berger VLD handloads I achieved 1/4 inch groups at 300 meters just shooting off sandbags with the .300 WM match barrel in a range in Austria. Equally, the 6.5 barrel shoots hole in hole as long as I do not allow the barrel to heat up, and even the .404 barrel shots 1/4 inch groups with drive-band copper bullets. Equally, as least in my gun, changing barrels and scopes does not change the point of impact.

Looking at gun mag reviews and target posts by M03 owners, it is clear that my gun is not the exception but rather the rule in being an unusually precise gun. And certainly here in Germany, you will be hard-pressed to find a used M03 for sale - have never seen one - people are keeping them.

The iron sights, as has been mentioned, could be a bit better - however I only use them on the .404 Jeff anyhow, and that barrel has classical express sights, which work quite well.

The 'safety' is actually a decocking device. It doesn't take long to get used to it, you just flick it to the right with your thumb while you are aiming, and after a while it feels like a normal safety. Decocking works equally easily.

Scope clearance is no problem whatsoever. I use the huge Schmidt & Bender PII 5-25 x 56 sniper scope with my .300 WM match barrel, and have the lowest possible scope mount, almost sitting on the barrel. No problem working the safety, not an issue.

I own better-handling guns for off-hand shooting, but for shooting out of a blind, from the bench, or with a bi-pod I think the gun is hard to beat. This changes a bit with African caliber barrels, as these are very heavy and make the gun more shootable off-hand.

Additionally, the caliber-group magazines are fairly long, so you can easily load long bullets (like VLDs or long copper bullets).

Edited by 404bearslayer (30/05/10 12:35 AM)

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
      #162801 - 26/06/10 07:02 AM

CWJ1898-
Have you looked into buying additional barrels here in the U.S.? I've seen a couple of M03's for sale at what seem to be decent prices, but none in calibers that interest me. Just curious how hard it is to get spare barrels and what the approximate cost is.

CWJ1898
.275 member

Re: Mauser 03 & New 98's??? Jewels or Junk?? [Re: taw1126]
      #162899 - 28/06/10 09:37 AM

taw1126,
I have purchased additional barrels and initially I settled on a not so personally desirable caliber in much the same way as you describe. I made a call to the gents at Mauser USA now based in San Antonio, TX (phone 210-377-2527) and in one case the barrel was on hand and took only 3-days to receive (a 9.3x62). The other a 7x64 was only a two week wait. Regarding cost it is a matter of what caliber you possess and which you desire. If your parent caliber and configuration matches the one in which you order it is only a matter of a barrel purchase, if however the two cartridges are not within the same family an order of magazine, bolt head and barrel would be required. Worst case scenario if all three would be ordered the current price is $1,300.00 USD. For more information on the family of cartridges simply type "Mauser Waffen" in your search engine and take a look at the Mauser web site- highly recommended as they provide a fair amount of information on the M03 and M-98 rifles with a few very good videos on the M-03 and its function. The gentlemen at Mauser USA were very good to discuss the finer points as well. Hope this is of some assistance- Best regards

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
      #162911 - 28/06/10 02:20 PM

Thanks. I talked to Tip at Canyon Sporting Arms (he seems to have a tremendous selection of barrels & complete M03's in stock) and he pretty well echoed what you said, quoting $1,400 for .30-'06 barrel, "standard" magazine, and standard bolt head. The rifle I'm considering is currently a Winchester Short Mag, which either aren't being made or aren't being imported into the U.S. any longer, and he felt like I could get that full investment back.

One concern I've got is the twist rate for the M03 .30-'06 barrels, which I saw listed as 1 in 11". I like to shoot 180 to 220 grain bullets in .30-'06 and expect that twist to work better with 150's; all of that has me considering the 7x64 and 8x57 barrels.

To keep this interesting, two months ago I commissioned a 9.3x62 barrel for my Empire 98S takedown. I'm going to kick myself in the ass, repeatedly, if I end up liking the M03 system better.

CWJ1898
.275 member

Re: Mauser 03 & New 98's??? Jewels or Junk?? [Re: taw1126]
      #162977 - 29/06/10 08:05 AM

taw1126,
I have handled an Empire 98S actioned rifle and was quite impressed with it (not that Mr. George Sandman needs my endorsement!). As much as I enjoy my M03, I feel as though you will be quite satisfied with the additional barrel especially in 9.3x62- one of the true great cartridge offerings and quickly gaining some momentum on this side of the Atlantic.

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #166439 - 19/08/10 01:09 AM

I just got my Mauser M03. I think it is a great rifle system. Well made and functions flawlessly.
A sturdy, man sized rifle!

My rifle has a 404 Jeffery and a 375 H&H Barrel. Considering what we have had to pay for a "Quality" take down rifle in the past, the Model M03 system is a heck of a deal.
My next barrel will be a match grade .223 barrel so I can shoot 300 yard "F" Class.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

Edited by CptCurl (29/08/10 09:45 PM)

rigbymauser
.400 member

Re: Mauser 03 & New 98's??? Jewels or Junk?? [Re: Rusty]
      #166473 - 19/08/10 01:55 PM

Congratulation Rusty. Beautiful rifle.

Excellent choices in calibers

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21584

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com