Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 404 Jeffery

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
zaitsev
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/06
Loc: Trysil, Norway
404 Jeffery
      #82419 - 14/07/07 09:53 AM

This is my M98 rifle i got for a month ago, and its a fine rifle and it will be very good on different hunting and shooting in the years that comes .

Its buildt by a Norwegian smith and based upon an VZ 24 Action, with 602 parts.

The Magazine is deep it takes 5 rounds,. possible one more in the spout, havent checked that out yet.

The rifle is a PH working rifle in style and it balances very nicely.

The only problem about it is that the other 2 Jeffery brothers of cartridges are stating to looking very fine also for a possible future build.....

Or an 9,3x70 perhaps, that one would be very cool to have in a rifle (M98 action that hasnt been ruined by the millitary over here )

This is the 404 rifle , and its a rugged rifle that hasnt been abused in the fiedl, its very good taken care of and it has shot moose, red deer, Seal and mountain grouse

This is 2 great cartridges, an 404 and the 8x57 round which is 2 of the best rounds you can use on much hunting.

Here we are at the bullets they are 300 grain tonheim PBP bullet, Barnes 400 grain X and Barnes RN solid, rhino 400 grain FN SN ,300 grain Mimek bullet and the 6,5 mm bullet that snuck in on the picture.

The Smith who buildt this one knew what he was doing and he has seen English rifles to know what he should build.

Edited by CptCurl (22/11/10 01:20 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 404 Jeffery [Re: zaitsev]
      #82423 - 14/07/07 12:00 PM

Great rifles and great calibers!

I like the fact that you have the 6.5 Norsk there, too. As it should be!

Was the VZ24 action left by the Tyskers when they went south? Or was it recently imported?

And a heartfelt hilsen fra nord Idaho!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

zaitsev
.300 member

Re: 404 Jeffery [Re: 9.3x57]
      #82440 - 14/07/07 06:58 PM

Hi 9threexFity7

What i know of is that is was leftovers from the Germans , but it hasnt been tampered with on Kongberg Vaapenfactory to make it into 30-06 lenht and stamping "Hær" or "POLITI" or "MARINE" on its side, which mean Army, Police and Navy .

The actions was sendt to Kongsberg to be made into hunting rifles and DMC rifles as i know of , but they lay around for many years not being tampered with so the action is original German issue marks and not looking so crude as many of the Issued makeovers Mausers could look like .

Many smiths has buildt fine rifles upon these receivers, and they have an quality the Brnos and pre 1943 Mausers that many rifles of today just can dream of having.

I`m having a project going also on now, its an custom Mauserwerke receiver in 264 Win Mag, since i dont like the 6,5x55 and wanted to give the Plains rifle cartridge a try and see what that round is about .

--------------------
The world hasnt got enough big Bores ,and people who uses them

(mr rigby at AR)

3sixbits
.224 member

Reged: 11/07/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: 404 Jeffery [Re: zaitsev]
      #82449 - 15/07/07 12:08 AM

I for one do not like the .264 Winchester mag. My experience with it goes back to 1966. I found that the ctd. is badly overbore capacity, and burns out barrels vary fast. The throat is gone in 150 rounds and the barrel has had it in 500 rounds.

I think the 6.5x55mm, to be one of the worlds best ctgs. If you just want something to be different then look to the 6.5/284 a fine ctg with a vary good reputation for long range accuracy.

zaitsev
.300 member

Re: 404 Jeffery [Re: 3sixbits]
      #82476 - 15/07/07 09:06 AM

Im using a very good matchbarrel, ca 28 inches long to get an barrel that will work.

But the thing is warmshooting of the round is one thing that shouldnt be done much and clean it good and often.

I have always wanted to try the 264 Win, and i wont one that can give some more punch thats not rebated like the 6.5x284.

But back to topic, i tried the 404 with cast lead bullets today to shoot the scope in and its looking good, 3 shots on ca 30 mm at 70 meters , but more testing is under way.

It was modest recoil with that load like an 300 win mag with 200 grain bullets.

And cheap traing also ca 75 cent per shot .

--------------------
The world hasnt got enough big Bores ,and people who uses them

(mr rigby at AR)

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6029

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com