Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: muzzle energy--fact or fiction

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
muzzle energy--fact or fiction
      #81722 - 03/07/07 04:26 AM

Read a article in one of this months hunting magazines by Kevin Robertson--in which he has some rather interesting ideas.. he states that muzzle energy is a very poor measure of ballistic performance... as an example he notes the Weatherby calibers-as they generally do not have a stellar reputation in Africa... he notes that most can not handle the excessive recoil of these cartridges and really offer no ballistic advantage on dangerous game..

To further demonstrate his point, he suggests that a 404 Jeffrey shooting a 400 gr bullet at 2150 has a muzzel energy of about 4000--where as a .375 H&H shooting a 300 gr bullet at 2500 has similar muzzle energy--further he states that if you had a device to shoot a 40 gr aspirin at 6800 fps it would also have 4000 foot pounds of energy...

Mr Robertson feels a much more accurate determination on the bullets effect on game is using a formula by a well known ballistican named Thatcher--who used bullet frontal surface area along with momentum for his Relative Stopping Values theory---another similar but not as accurate method was John Taylors KO factor which used a bullets momentum value and multiplied it by its diameter in inches.

Using the two later examples of measure it has shown that using a bullet heavy for caliber such as a 380 gr bullet in a 375 H&H traveling 2200 fps actually has a greater effect on game than a 375 Ultra Mag traveling 2750 fps with a 300 gr bullet..

To further substantiate his point he states that Norma is now loading their new ammo line called the "African PH" in heavy for caliber bullets after their ballisticians ran the tests...

Thought this shed some light on the whole muzzle energy idea...and makes for an interesting read--

Thank you
Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: muzzle energy--fact or fiction [Re: Ripp]
      #81759 - 03/07/07 09:30 PM

Muzzle energy and high velocities are gimmicks used to sell guns. Come up with a new cartridge that sizzles, convince hunters they need it, and you can sell them the gun to shoot it. Energy comparisons look more impressive than velocity or momentum, because energy uses the square of the velocity.

To give some idea of the value of muzzle energy as an index of killing ability, consider an old black-powder load for the 45-70 and a modern load for the 22-250. A 405 gr bullet at 1334 fps and a 50 gr bullet at 3797 fps each give 1600 ft. lbs of energy. Which would you prefer for hunting American bison?

I tried ranking all the cartridges in my reloading manuals using the various indices of killing performance. Although the numbers varied, for the most part the ranks stayed the same. That is, if cartridge A was ahead of cartridge B using Taylor’s KO, then A was ahead of B using all the other indices as well. Does that mean A is a better killer than B? Probably not; the best use for rankings is to divide all the cartridges into three groups, varmint, medium game, and large game. Pick a cartridge from the appropriate group based on your needs and preferences. Then put the bullet where it belongs.

These are my opinions, based on my observations. Please enjoy and share your own opinions without taking offense at mine. Take care, Tom

Ripp
.577 member

Re: muzzle energy--fact or fiction [Re: Tatume]
      #81824 - 04/07/07 12:27 PM

Quote:

To give some idea of the value of muzzle energy as an index of killing ability, consider an old black-powder load for the 45-70 and a modern load for the 22-250. A 405 gr bullet at 1334 fps and a 50 gr bullet at 3797 fps each give 1600 ft. lbs of energy. Which would you prefer for hunting American bison?

These are my opinions, based on my observations. Please enjoy and share your own opinions without taking offense at mine. Take care, Tom

Agree entirely..it is not merely by chance that most of the effective cartridges for Africa are moving between 2100 to 2400 feet per second and throwing 400 to 900 gr bullets...Speed can and does have its place but not when hunting the big boys in Africa..

Ripp

--------------------

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
      #82119 - 10/07/07 12:35 AM

Read Gregor Woods' book about African rifles and you will get similar opinions. I have noticed this to be especially true with muzzleloaders which don't generate a lot of muzzle energy because of low velocities. In spite of that, I've taken a lot of big game with 400 grain muzzleloader projectiles traveling at 1350 FPS and witnessed outstanding trauma effects. On an Indian River Buffalo hunt a 600-grain muzzleloader slug over 120 grains of powder exhibited better penetration and bullet performance than a .470 using solids at the same range. While I don't know if this is a practical or consistent observation, it was certainly impressive at that time.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: muzzle energy--fact or fiction [Re: Plains99]
      #82124 - 10/07/07 01:32 AM

Muzzle energy, as in foot pounds of energy equating to a bullet's power in overcoming game animals is a number that has little if any meaning in this world.
: Some animal species or individual animals are suseptable to expiring due to massive tissue shock caused from rapidly expanding or exploading bullets, whereas some are not impressed by this measure of 'power'. The higher the fpe number, supposedly, the more killing or incapacitating the round is. When you slam a big moose or buffalo with 4,200 foot pounds of ripping energy from a .300 magnum, and see him continuing to chew his lilypad stem, you may wonder if fpe has any worthwhile meaning. The next time out and with identical shot placement for all intents and purposes, you see a .30/30 developing 1,700fpe drop a moose in it's tracks at the shot, bam/slam. Hmmmm - maybe the 'numbers' are reversed - the smaller the number, the better killing power? We know that isn't so, or shouldn't be so, but the results from those expamples seem to indicate that?
; This was only one comparrison expample.
; How about a .535" round ball from an iron-sighted muzzleloader, developing a gigantic 230 foot pounds of energy at impact, dropping a bull moose within 40 yards of where it was standing at impact, stone dead on the run, yet 25 min. earlier that day, a 180gr. Nosler from a .300 WTBY, impacting with over 3,000fpe, the moose merely walked a couple steps, turned around and looked over his 'flock' of cows, takes another 180gr. Nosler from that 'other' side and stands for 1-1/2 minutes before falling over. The muzzleloader moose had holes through his lungs and heart, while the .300 WTBY blew the lungs up completely, and cut the heart in 1/2. Much more damage, yet that moose wasn't nearly as impressed as he didn't even know he'd been shot. The ML moose took off instantly at the shot, yet dropped stone dead in seconds.
; These sort of comparrisons could go on and on, but do show one thing, that fpe is an exceptionally poor method of showing potential killing or incapaciting power. It is a number with no meaning relative to game animals we hunt. Afterall, 1 fpe means the energy to lift a 1 pound object, 1 foot, at sea level. Have you ever shot into something that aborbed all the energy of your bullet, yet wasn't moved at all? How far was it lifted? That .300 WTBY moose didn't even ripple it's hide when that 180gr. Nosler, DUMPED all it's energy into it, let alone be moved sieways, upwards or down to the ground by the incredible theoretical force of 3,000 pounds of energy, over 3 times the moose's own weight, not only once, but twice, 6,000 foot pounds. 6,000 pounds moved 1 foot - yeah, right. Who makes up these stupid formulas, anyway?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: muzzle energy--fact or fiction [Re: DarylS]
      #82135 - 10/07/07 04:58 AM

Muzzle energy is a good starting point, then I look at momentum. I personally prefer a heavy slower bullet to a light fast bullet. I fully agree with Kevin Robertson's theory. I have seen it on many ocassions that heavy slow bullets gives better results.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

TilleyMan
.333 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: muzzle energy--fact or fiction [Re: SAHUNT]
      #82172 - 10/07/07 09:27 PM

There's a really interesting website that uses actual data to refute a number of cherished beliefs about fpe, 'knock down power' etc:

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

And another using data from the new Bullet Test Tube (with embedded deer bone) got some surprising results:

http://www.gunsandhunting.com/Bullethitsbone.html

Edited by TilleyMan (10/07/07 09:56 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: muzzle energy--fact or fiction [Re: TilleyMan]
      #82174 - 10/07/07 09:42 PM

Looks like a great web site--thanks

Ripp

--------------------

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #82271 - 12/07/07 04:06 AM

Anyone who honestly believes that FPE adds nothing to killing power is in complete denial of known physical laws, and after they spout such pathetic nonsense I tend to disbelieve anything they ever have to say ever again about hunting. I also recommend that any such pilgrim enroll in an "introductory to physical science" class at a local community college, or at least read Jim Carmichel's 'Book Of The Rifle', as well as any of Bob Hagel's books.

Shoot a few varmints with a 50 gr. bullet out of a 222 Remington, then load the same bullet in a 220 Swift and just see what sort of difference in killing power you'll experience. Then go shoot a few elk with a 30-06 loaded with a good 180 gr. bullet loaded to 2700 fps, then do the same thing with the same bullets in a 300 Winchester at 3100 fps. and you'll see, very clearly, that the 300 puts then down significantly harder, and the wound channels are larger as well.

And I have yet to visit with the experienced, credible African PH (or experienced client) yet who does not state very candidly that a 458 Lott, 450 Dakota, or 460 Weatherby does not hammer Cape buffalo much harder than does the 458 Winchester, or that the 416 Weatherby hammers bufflo a lot harder than the 416 Remington. All of these cartridges shoot the same 400 or 500 gr. bullets, but the difference in killing power stems directly from the higher velocities furnished, and thus, greater energy at all ranges. I could go on but......do I really need to?

We live in a very weird age of revisionist "bullistics", and anyone so deluded or inexperienced as to buy into some of this nonsense is in sad shape indeed........

AD

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: muzzle energy--fact or fiction [Re: allenday]
      #82279 - 12/07/07 05:26 AM

Okay, they have the same muzzle energy. Which one has the most "killing power?"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: muzzle energy--fact or fiction [Re: Tatume]
      #82330 - 13/07/07 12:16 AM

AD - the fact that higher velocties produces more damage than the same projectile moving slower isn't in dispute here. THAT is obvious. What is in dispute, is this fpe does anything remotely close to what the numbers show.
: The pounds feet and Taylor KO formulas also show higher numbers when velocity is increased with a given projectile. I am not saying they are correct, just that the numbers go up with added velocity although not as greatly as do numbers in the fpe formula.
: You've missed the point entirely.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: muzzle energy--fact or fiction [Re: DarylS]
      #82333 - 13/07/07 01:28 AM

Should "Thatcher" read "Hatcher", as in General Julian Hatcher? If so, I highly recommend his books.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would say that "foot-pounds" as a measurement of energy is meaningless. It isn't meaningless, and certainly has its purpose and use, but in making a definitive prediction of the elapsed time between gun shot and tipping-over of an animal {"killing power"?}, it comes up somewhat lacking, but then so do other measurements of "killing power".

The problem I have with all these discussions is that they assume there is a direct and progressive correlation between one of these measurements and the elapsed time mentioned above, i.e. 7x57 is quicker killing than the 6.5x55, .30-06 quicker than 7x57, .338 Win Mag quicker than .30-06, .375 quicker than .338, or some such list of calibers. I have not been able to observe any clear and noticeable, consistent and significant progression of "killing power" with the range of calibers I've used on game, using paper ballistics or bullet diameter as a predictor. There are some very interesting surveys and collections of data I have referred to in other posts that belie the use of paper ballistics calculations to predict this elapsed time. These are the Scandinavian materials referred to elsewhere.

I think we can all agree that a .223 with typical varmint bullets is less effective for the general run of shots taken on large game than a .375, but I would suggest that the reason is not so much "energy" or mathematical "killing power" but rather that its bullets cannot be relied upon to get to the vitals of heavy game. It's pretty hard to make a .223 bullet than can. But when the calibers are narrowed, can the .375 be stated to perform substantially better than the .30-06, assuming proper soft point bullets in both? Not according to the extensive surveys I have read, not according to my own experience, and not according to the published opinion of, say, Finn Aagaard. Finn once gave a description of an animal's response to a shot, then went on to ask what caliber the reader thought was used, giving a list from which to pick, about from the 7x57 to .375. He said all such calibers produce results just about indestinguishable from each other for almost all game killing {he was speaking about soft-skinned, large game, not FMJ's and thickskinned DG} and my own observations absolutely concur.

I have read the post link above involving the embedded bone. Very interesting. I have shot many different tests over the years and have also used heavy elk and range cattle bones and I can promise you that the effort is worthwhile as it highlights the different levels of performance between bullets...regardless of caliber/energy. That is precisely why I settled on my own testing media some time ago. With a control bullet of known excellent performance, tests can be set up to compare other bullets and the tests seem to predict very accurately how well a bullet will perform in the field. For game in the elk and deer range of weights, I place far less value on what an energy chart says and far more faith in my own bullet testing procedure.

Beyond the shadow of a doubt the most important single factor governing the speed at which a big game animal dies {"killing power"} is the placement of the shot and if it gets to the vitals. If a bullet does not have the structure to get there it will fail. If the bullet has the structure to get there it is amazingly unimportant what precise diameter it is and what caliber it was fired from. I believe arguments over which energy or "killing power" measurement is most accurate fall apart because they miss this most important factor. And yes, home tests can be set up to test new bullets to make sure they have waht it takes to get inside the critter of your choice.

Another factor that I am convinced goes unnoticed and disregarded in discussions of killing power is related to the importance of shot placement, precedes it, actually. That is the knowledge of the physiology of the animal being hunted and thus where to place the shot! I have had some bad experiences following up wounded game shot by people who really didn't know where the CNS, organ vitals and skeleton were inside the critter they just wounded. This lack of knowledge is common among today's urban hunters and is dramatically demonstrated in Hunter Safety programs, etc. Many hunters just do not have the opportunity to see the insides of many dead animals, to "dissect" them, as it were, and without that knowledge I believe they seek in mathematical formulas some method by which to make their game drop dead, instead of understanding just how easy it is to kill something as long as the vitals are hit well with any of a large number of reasonable calibers. For instance, on the place here we raise various domestic stock and my kids are members of a farm/ranch club. They know how the insides of a deer, elk or steer differ from a pig, differ from a bear, differ from a horse, etc because they study it and because they have their hands inside most of these critters on a routine basis. IMHO, lots of hunters today have no real clue about this stuff. They look at a few pictures in a book and think they have it all down pat, and then aim essentially center mass and hope their gun is "big enough" to get the job done. My kids know where to stick the bullet. Last year my daughter shot her first deer, a monster for these parts, weighing about 220 lb gutted, a heavy-bodied, large-racked trophy. The deer presented itself in a totally different position from any of the targets we shoot for practice. After he was down and gutted, I told her I was impressed with her performance. She responded "It's no big deal, Dad, we study this stuff and I knew where the heart was..." Caliber used; 7.62x39 with a cheap round of WOLF steel-cased HP. Heart pulped. One small anecdote but it makes the point. I could go on...

I am convinced many adults who don't, shall we say, live around a butcher shop, rely too heavily on some mathematical, near-magical perceived ability of their weapon to kill without absolute reliance on precise placement of the shot to get it done. And an argument about mathematical tables ensues.

Ripp, if interested, PM me and I will send you some material regarding the above mentioned statements. I think you'll find it interesting.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (13/07/07 10:48 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2657

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com