Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Who makes the best scope for Danderous game guns?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
Re: Who makes the best scope for Danderous game guns? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #82933 - 23/07/07 04:43 PM

S&B has been chosen for the new Marine sniper scope - a variant of the PM II 3-12x50 IIRC.

I'm currently working in Iraq and I've seen some privately purchased scopes - though I question the sense in some scope choices - not every soldier is an expert in optics.

On another forum (Lightfighter.net) which has many infantry folks posting S&B's short dot 1.1-4X is really well thought of...it's just really expensive. Aimpoints, ACOG's, and EOtech sights get the nod too. Of course, an ACOG on top of a hunting rifle would look a bit off to most people, but if something happens that causes it to break - chances are your rifle isn't doing too well either. I've seen (and spoken with) Navy EOD using Accupoint 1.5-4x scopes - good magnification range for dangerous game (2 or 4 legged) and illumination that is battery free and varies with light inensity. It uses tritium and fiber optics to illuminate a pointed post reticule, and looks like a normal scope. It's my next choice to suppliment my Aimpoints.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
Re: Who makes the best scope for Danderous game guns? [Re: edmhunter]
      #82940 - 23/07/07 10:25 PM

I would reccomend one of the three following brands;

Swarovski
Swarovski
or
Swarovski

I have looked through more than a few scopes and by far Swarovski is the best i've seen.

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

jro45
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/03
Loc: DE, USA
Re: Who makes the best scope for Danderous game guns? [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #82941 - 23/07/07 10:29 PM

I have a Burris 1 3/4X5 on my 458 Lott and it works just fine with about 74 ft lbs of recoil.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Who makes the best scope for Danderous game guns? [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #82943 - 23/07/07 10:54 PM

Quote:

I would reccomend one of the three following brands;

Swarovski
Swarovski
or
Swarovski

I have looked through more than a few scopes and by far Swarovski is the best i've seen.

DT

I believe you.

In the retail business we had a little gun stock with rubber half rings on it that you could "snap in" a scope for viewing thru. It was a handy little gizmo and with it we would select several scopes of the proper magnification for a particular customer's need, then let them go outside and spend some time reading street signs, looking off yonder and comparing the scopes.

I was always fascinated by the variance in what people described in clarity and brightness of the several scopes they looked through. Some people favored one over the other. Some would see a bit of haze in one brand or another. The top models from the top makers were always highly thought of but really picking the best from each was not consistent. Some people thought the view from a Zeiss was best, somebody else thought a Leupold was clearest, or another a Swarovski or Burris and it could take a customer a long time sometimes to tell the difference between them. I think a guy should buy what he likes and what seems clearest to him but I always thought that if a guy had to spend over half hour looking through, say, three scopes to determine which was giving him the clearest view, all three must be pretty clear and pretty comparable!

JRO45: I have 2 of those scopes {both older USA-made} and they are very nice scopes. A wee bit of haze around the edges on mine, but very clear in the center. Have you shot the Lott much with that Burris on it? Mine don't happen to be on heavy kickers.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
BEST Dangerous Game Scope EVER?? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #85045 - 02/09/07 11:47 PM

More info on the Swarovski Z6--

http://www.opticsplanet.net/swarovski-z6-1-6x24-riflescope-ee-4-cd-reticle.html

Looks good at a larger field of view and the EE(extended eye relief) and higher magnification option.They make an illuminated version as well!!This may be my next scope on my 416 Rigby!!

I am lukewarm on Leupolds, too many past problems/breakage.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (02/09/07 11:53 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: BEST Dangerous Game Scope EVER?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #85050 - 03/09/07 01:12 AM

Quote:

More info on the Swarovski Z6--

http://www.opticsplanet.net/swarovski-z6-1-6x24-riflescope-ee-4-cd-reticle.html

I am lukewarm on Leupolds, too many past problems/breakage.

HOPDOC

Curious as to what scopes specifically you had troubles with?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I currently have all models mentioned in this thread, S&B, Swarovski, Leupold, and Zeiss (which I have since gotten ride of)...while I agree, Swarovski is the finer glass of the those mentioned, personally, in all the years of shooting and having currently in excess of 25 Leupolds, I have only ever had to send one back and that is one I purchased second hand at a gun show. And hey, guess what, they fixed it and sent it back to me for a total cost of $4. which was for shipping. Now I realize nothing is perfect and all things made by man will ultimately fail, however, I will repeat the earlier post... for the dollar they really can not be beat...

Lex Webernick, of Rifles Inc. who builds custom rifles and has done so for many decades states that percentage wise.. Leupolds deliver with less problems than Swarovski, Burris, and especially Zeiss whom he has stated was the most troublesome scope he sold...I do believe the Zeiss scopes were the less expensive models--so there again, you typically get what you pay for..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: BEST Dangerous Game Scope EVER?? [Re: Ripp]
      #85059 - 03/09/07 08:04 AM

I have had several reticle problems with various Leupolds.
Had a big heavy Leu 4x14 30mm scope reticle failure as well as 4x14 one inch VariX3 both on Weatherby mags.

I have also had a 3.5x10VariX 3 fail with inabilty to respond to user clicks on a 270.

The best Leupolds have been their VariX3 1.75x6 and 2x8 on 375's and 416's---which have been pretty tough.I shoot a Burris Safari which seems ok on the 416 Rem-so far.

I have had good luck with Zeiss Conquest so far on 338's and 300 WSM's and their clarity at dark seems superior to similar Leupolds.They seem to hold their zero better if the rifle is bumped accidentally as well. My Leupolds were always shifting zero if bumped!!

My best scopes have been big Swarovski 3x12 TDS Hunters-real pricey but good clear glass.

I have a dandy S&B scope but it is just too heavy and not as clear at dark as the Swarovski

Overall I think Leupolds are ok but not tough enough for me
I am now looking for a scope for the 416 Rigby- The Swarovski Z6EE is interesting!!!

Yup!! You get what you pay for---

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (03/09/07 08:12 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

#85062 - 03/09/07 09:43 AM

Quote:

I have had several reticle problems with various Leupolds.
Had a big heavy Leu 4x14 30mm scope reticle failure as well as 4x14 one inch VariX3 both on Weatherby mags.

FYI--the Leupolds are actually less in weight than comparable Swarovski models in each comparable model--ie; Leupold 4x14--12.5oz----Swarovski--4x12--13.9oz----Leupold 1.75x6=11.3 oz vs Swarovski 1.5-6= 16.2oz

I have also had a 3.5x10VariX 3 fail with inabilty to respond to user clicks on a 270.

The best Leupolds have been their VariX3 1.75x6 and 2x8 on 375's and 416's---which have been pretty tough.I shoot a Burris Safari which seems ok on the 416 Rem-so far.

Per Leupolds own admission--the 1.5 to 5 and the 1.75 to 6 VariX-III's are the most trouble free of their intire line--at least that's what I was told by one of their tech's when I called in..

I have had good luck with Zeiss Conquest so far on 338's and 300 WSM's and their clarity at dark seems superior to similar Leupolds.They seem to hold their zero better if the rifle is bumped accidentally as well. My Leupolds were always shifting zero if bumped!!

Personally, I have gone on three hunts in Africa carrying my .416 with a 1.75 to 6 VxIII --have not had to move it yet from one hunt to another and that includes my practice sessions here at home.. As to the Zeiss, personally I have seen several of those bite the dust while at the range--at least here they do not have a very good reputation, even in the sporting goods stores they will direct you another direction because of their past experiences..

My best scopes have been big Swarovski 3x12 TDS Hunters-real pricey but good clear glass.

I am not aware of a 3x12--I know they make a 4x12 as I have one--it does not have an adjustable objective however the 6x18x50 does..They make a 3x10 as I have one of those as well.

I agree they are Great glass-in addition to the above I have another6-18--It has worked nicely however when I tried to mount the 3x10, the internal adjustment mechanism would not work when we snugged down the rings--when I called the custom gun maker--he stated, again, that the outer sleeves on the Swarovski scopes were thinnner in nature and that I should try a Leupold-... I picked up a 4x14 VXIII and have never looked back..

I have a dandy S&B scope but it is just too heavy and not as clear at dark as the Swarovski

Have one of those as well--because of its weight it is never a good idea to have it on a heavy recoiling gun--so I put my 4x16 on a 6/284 and it makes a dandy prairie dog gun which I use quite frequently --on coyotes, p-dogs, etc..

Overall I think Leupolds are ok but not tough enough for me--

refer to memo above..

I am now looking for a scope for the 416 Rigby- The Swarovski Z6EE is interesting!!!

My friend Dick Witt who by the way is a Swarovski dealer has let me use one on a rifle he has--ther are a very, very good scope with excellent glass--probably the best I have ever looked through..

I guess that is what makes these sites so addicting..everyone has their own personal opinion, whether correct or not, it is what we have experienced that causes us to make the decisions we do.. and until I experience something dramatically different, I'll keep using what has worked for me.. Good luck with your purchase---sent a photo when you get it ..

Ripp

--------------------

hoppdoc
.400 member

#85064 - 03/09/07 11:56 AM

I have 3 Zeiss Conquests and they seem fine. The hold zero well and seem much better than my similar powered Leupolds.They were some of the earliest conquest scopes put out so maybe they had more QC than subsequent scopes??

Who knows??

Interesting about the comments on the Burris scopes.My Safari posilock scope has been used thru at least 30-40 rounds on a 416 Rem and seems fine so far. My prior scope a 1.75x6 Leupold got swaped to a different rifle and is still plugging away.

I have had more problems with Leupold than any other brand.Of course I have more Leupold than any other brand too.

The Swarovski 3x12 TDS on my 300 ultra is just great. Hanging in there and able to be shot with the TDS feature at all magnifications.I have another "good deal" Swarovski at 4x16 TDS only recommended shootable at high power on a 338-378
(2nd plane focus scope here). This one may get swapped to a varmint rifle due that issue.

My vote for a Big Bore DG scope today would have to be a Swarovski 1x6 low power Z6EE(4.74 inches eye relief)--Soon as I can swing it one will be mine!! My scopeless 416 Rigby will just have to suffer in the interim--

--------------------

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
      #85245 - 07/09/07 12:25 PM

I just returned a Kahles that
only took 14 shots from my 458 wm
to lock up the power adjustment ring.
I will see how the customer service
is. No other trouble was noticed.
It appeared to hold zero: but was
"locked Up".

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: BEST Dangerous Game Scope EVER?? [Re: k80]
      #85249 - 07/09/07 12:41 PM

I have a friend BW who swore by Kahles- on his 270!!

He switched it to his 338 for an Alaskan hunt and it promptly died after one box of shells,and then he swore AT that scope!!I think he finally used a 2x8 Leupold and was happy with the scope function.

Personally,I don't think kahles is made to take the recoil of rifles stouter than a 30.06--

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #85253 - 07/09/07 03:01 PM

Swarovski is the choice I wouldn't even consider for a heavy rifle. I can think of three busted reticles on .375s alone.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Ripp
.577 member

Re: BEST Dangerous Game Scope EVER?? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #85259 - 07/09/07 10:04 PM

Quote:

Swarovski is the choice I wouldn't even consider for a heavy rifle. I can think of three busted reticles on .375s alone.

**As I mentioned earlier--it seems most of the people I know have had really good luck with the run of the mill Leupold 1.5- 5 or the 1.75 - 6--VXIII's----not sure if that is everyone elses experience --but it has been mine--I personally have shot well over 300 rounds in my .416 with no problems to this point--same on the .375 H&H---..again, not saying the are the best thing since sliced bread but they work for me...

Ripp

--------------------

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #85266 - 08/09/07 03:15 AM

Hi Ripp,
I haven't tried the 1.75-6x VX III, but I own several VariX III and VX III 2.5-8x scopes. Each time I buy a new hunting rifle I buy another; they are that good. I'll try the 1.75-6x next.
Take care, Tom

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: BEST Dangerous Game Scope EVER?? [Re: Tatume]
      #85281 - 08/09/07 10:47 AM

I understand that Leupolds have a lifetime guarantee???

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Westley
.224 member

Reged: 03/09/07
Loc: Murfreesboro, TN
Re: BEST Dangerous Game Scope EVER?? [Re: bonanza]
      #85291 - 08/09/07 02:34 PM

I've used both Leupold and Swarovski on sniper systems when I was in Special Forces and both stood up to the recoil of a .50BMG without a problem.

I don't have any experience at all with Ziess, but as for Burris I've had too many of their handgun scopes lose their zero at a critical time during a hunt or at a shooting match to ever trust them again. Might as well plan on throwing rocks!

Robert

Tatume
.400 member

#85296 - 08/09/07 09:53 PM

Quote:

Leupold has a reputation for standing by their scopes no matter what. I have never had to exercise the warranty, so I can't attest to this from personal experience.

Burris advertises the same warranty. I did have to send a new Burris scope back, four times in the past year. It has not provided five minutes of satisfactory service, as it was broken when I received it. I have a large number of Burris scopes that have given good service, but I have given up on the company.

Ripp
.577 member

#85546 - 13/09/07 12:04 PM

Quote:

That is correct and you don't even have to be the original owner--I sent one in that I had purchased used and had them check it out--they cleaned it up and sent it back--total cost to me was $4.

Ripp

--------------------

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #85571 - 13/09/07 07:50 PM

Sorry to hear you had trouble with the Kahles. I've carried one of their Helia 27s on my Sako 338WM since about 1980 and it is the most reliable scope I've owned.

A seal did go after 25 years, requiring the scope to take an Austrian holiday, but it may have been the result of aggressive lens cleaner or enzymes from deer blood the day before heavy rain caught me.

I have heard that heavy recoil can affect them; to wit a light 9.3x62 that shook a reticule loose. Mine has put up with a lot of bumps from two weeks rough-country hunting each year, though, and maybe 300 shots without trouble.

Sitting in Redfield extention mounts, its zero never moved until I used it as brake while slipping 12 feet down a 'dry' waterfall while sambar hunting last year. Not so pretty now but I hope it will last our family another 27 years.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: BEST Dangerous Game Scope EVER?? [Re: Paul]
      #88696 - 11/11/07 09:00 AM

For those interested --Part 2 of the "Dangerous Game Scopes" is in the Monthly SCI magazine this week--page 110. Part three is due next issue...

As mentioned previously--they are shooting each scope on an unbraked .460 Weatherby--60 shots with each scope on it.. testing clarity, tracking, endurance, etc.

Very informative--

Ripp

--------------------

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: Who makes the best scope for Danderous game guns? [Re: smicha6551]
      #88834 - 13/11/07 01:05 AM

Which Leupold would you suggest for my CZ 550 DGR? The Leupold VXII 1-4x 20mm or the VXIII 1.5-5x 20mm?

Thanks,

Chuck

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Who makes the best scope for Danderous game guns? [Re: chuck375]
      #88841 - 13/11/07 01:25 AM

Quote:

Which Leupold would you suggest for my CZ 550 DGR? The Leupold VXII 1-4x 20mm or the VXIII 1.5-5x 20mm?

Chuck,

The Vari-X II scopes that I own do not have indents in the windage and elevation turrets, so they are not "click adjustable." I found this very frustrating when sighting in the rifles, as I would usually over-shoot the correction. Once adjusted however, each of them has provided reliable service. The newer VX-II scopes may be click adjustable, but I still prefer the VX-III series. My recommendation is to get the VX-III scope.

Take care, Tom

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Who makes the best scope for Danderous game guns? [Re: chuck375]
      #88851 - 13/11/07 02:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

Chuck

I would choose the VX-III--simply because I have used one for many years with zero problems--also in visiting with Leupold--back when I first bought one--they stated this was the number one trouble free scope of their entire line.. I also have used the VX-III in 1.75 to 6 with good results as well--in fact that is what I have on my .416..again, up to this point, no problems what so ever..

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Who makes the best scope for Danderous game guns? [Re: Ripp]
      #88859 - 13/11/07 02:51 AM

Current VX-II scope DO have click adjustments.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Who makes the best scope for Danderous game guns? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #88898 - 13/11/07 03:21 PM

Does the weight of a scope have anything to do with reliability ? A heavier scope would have more inertia under recoil, all other things being equal. Some of those european large objective scopes weigh quite a bit and those Leupold 1.5-5x20's weigh very litle.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19549

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com