Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tasty African game?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Tasty African game?
      #81541 - 30/06/07 08:54 PM

Hello Folks,
I'm planning my first plains game hunt in South Africa. To me a trophy sits on a plate surrounded by gravy. I’ll be bringing back my memories, but no heads or rugs. One of my objectives is to eat some delicious game. Which animals should I seek for culinary value? Thank you.

Take care, Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Tasty African game? [Re: Tatume]
      #81544 - 30/06/07 10:38 PM

Quote:

Hello Folks,
I'm planning my first plains game hunt in South Africa. To me a trophy sits on a plate surrounded by gravy. I’ll be bringing back my memories, but no heads or rugs. One of my objectives is to eat some delicious game. Which animals should I seek for culinary value? Thank you.

Take care, Tom

How come no heads/rugs? Where exactly are you going?

As for the grubsteak, dang near anything.

You won't get offered it anyway, but avoid zebra in my opinion. Waxy yellow fat, yuck.

But you can buy biltong from a whole variety of game critters and of course if you are hunting what you shoot will be prime table fare assuming it isn't taken from you immediately to the abattoir for eventual sale, etc. And don't forget road kill! I once wounded a duiker with a Classic Big Bore {...a Toyota pickup... } one night. Killed it with my pocket-knife and enjoyed several delectable meals as a result!

I just plain miss ostrich biltong, and steaks, chops and various prepared dishes from bushbuck, warthog, duiker, gemsbok, blesbuck, impala, etc, etc, etc are hard to beat. Man, it is hard to go wrong.

And really, for an American who grew up being taught the taboo of "market-hunted" meat, I found the species variety of commercially-available meat most amazing. My freezer right now is full of home-grown lamb, chicken and pork and locally shot elk, deer, bear, grouse and turkey so we relish it all. If you are similar, you'll really enjoy the culinary choices of southern Africa!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: Tasty African game? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #81546 - 30/06/07 11:59 PM

For my taste, Oryx and Roan are delicious and hard to beat. Bushbuck is also nice. Of course Ostrich is worth a try.

Kalunga

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #81550 - 01/07/07 12:47 AM

Quote:

Hello Folks,

Take care, Tom

There are MANY good choices IMHO.. personally I really liked Eland and Kudu---Springbok was also very, very good.. Not sure if buffalo is on your list as you are going to S Africa--but if you have a chance at it, it is AWESOME...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
Re: Tasty African game? [Re: Ripp]
      #81585 - 01/07/07 02:14 PM

It's all good IMO. The Buf biltong is great, you could live on it for days with nothing else. But for the finest meat of all, my vote is for Giraffe tail. Something like Ox tail, it has lots of fat that keeps it moist and tender, which some of the other animals lack.

Let us know your favorites.

Armbar.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #81611 - 02/07/07 01:53 AM

In my experience, virtually everything in the antelope family is not only edible, but very tasty. The one exception being waterbuck, which has a fat which congeals as it cools and is in the opinion of many, inedible. (The African staff doesn't mind it, however.)

I have heard that elephant trunk roasted over a slow fire tastes like brawn, but I have no experience of it. One buffalo can furnish a lot of biltong, and if seasoned correctly is very tasty for a daytime snack.

I suppose my favorites were eland, kudu and Thompson's gazelle, although klipspringer chops are quite a treat.

Don't worry about anything gong to waste. The local tribespeople will take anything you don't want and seem to especially relish zebra. Also, the Egyptian vultures ans hyenas will gladly clean up the mess for you.

We once drove away from a buffalo carcass after removing all we wanted and five minutes later there was nothing left but bones. We drove by the same spot later in the day and all we could find was a pile of grass representing the stomach contents. All very efficient.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Tasty African game? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #81617 - 02/07/07 03:54 AM

I too disliked Zebra, until I tried Mountain Zebra. It is excellent. Not at all like the Burchell's.

I didn't care for Ostrich. It was too dry for my taste.

Among my favorites are: Eland, Gemsbok, Impala liver w/fried onions, Bushbuck, and Nyala. A young Warthog slow turned on a spit can be very good as well.

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Tasty African game? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #81619 - 02/07/07 04:09 AM

Another vote for mountain zebra.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Tasty African game? [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #81636 - 02/07/07 09:38 AM

Eland is quite possibly the best table fare I've ever tried. Impala is excellent as is kudu. Warthog is great. Wildebeest is good.

I'm not much of a soup person, but Ox tail soup is probably very good to a soup person.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Tasty African game? [Re: DPhillips]
      #81671 - 02/07/07 04:39 PM

How many people here have eaten elephant?

I asked to eat it last year and had some savoury spicy thin bits of biltong but they said it was too tough and chewy for normal meals. Any comments?

I like crocodile. I have eaten and liked kudu, eland, warthog, ostriche, impala, springbok, thompson gazelle, and probably others.

Zebra was about the only I found tough and too closely grained. But it may have been the beast if it was an older one. Who knows?

One of my favourite is guinea fowl and everytime I have had it , it has been spectacular, but I have also heard it complained about as being tough and very long to cook!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Tasty African game? [Re: NitroX]
      #81693 - 03/07/07 12:46 AM

We had elephant twice, served as appetizers. I thought it quite good but you can marinate and grill choice cuts of just about anything and it tastes fine.

I would eat it again any time so long as it was prepared properly.

My mountain zebra was supposedly a tough old stallion (he was certainly scarred up) but the meat was fine. It may be some difference either genetically or in their diet but I would eat mountain zebra again without any problem.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Tasty African game? [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #81727 - 03/07/07 04:34 AM

African Hunter magazine had a casserole/stew recipe once for elephant.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2058

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com