Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting tactics-Wounded Dangerous Game!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Hunting tactics-Wounded Dangerous Game!!
      #81467 - 29/06/07 11:30 AM

Never having hunted DG I am curious as to the tactics/logic generally stalking wounded DG animals. Obviously this will vary with terrain and with you PH's confidence in you as a shooter but is the general approach to fan out abreast and approach, follow the PH directly behind vs behind and to the side with the trackers in front ready to dive into the dirt if shooting occurs?? any opinions on whether movement, scent, or vision seem to provoke focused DG attacks??
What causes them to "lock on" to one person? Do clothes color play a role?

Would the approach or tactics vary with species stalked(the buff supposedly likes to hook around and ambush, etc)?? Do you usually hear them before you see them?

Stupid questions about serious business but any opinions would be appreciated.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Hunting tactics-Wounded Dangerous Game!! [Re: hoppdoc]
      #81468 - 29/06/07 11:49 AM

Only ever had to follow up a couple of Asian Water Buff (Bulls), one this year.

It was wounded - had at least 2 shots in it from my mate.

He came and picked me up then we went back to where he shot it from, picked up the spore, tracked it - blood, broken grass, broken twigs etc - then we came to a thicket of saplings - and I mean THICK. We stopped, looking at the thicket from about 5 yards away.

I was behind him all the time until this point when I moved
to his left so I could also shoot.

Both of us had our guns up, ready for a charge.

Eventually the Buff moved and we could just make him out
but not which end was which - well eventually my mate put one shot into him, and then another (I think he worked out where the head was). It collapsed.

I then ran round and put one in it's forehead for insurance.

Not sure whether to fan out or stay behind - I think it maybe the PH's callas he is the one responsible for you.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #81511 - 30/06/07 04:02 AM

Driving down a trail in the Selous in Tanzania we ran across a road crew doing maintenance work and asked them if they had seen any buffalo. They directed us to a site a short distance away where a medium sized herd (40-60 head) was grazing. We dismounted and went into the fairly open scrub brush in line abreast, with the PH on the left with his gun bearer, I on the right with my gun bearer, and the tracker in the middle.

We eventually came up on the herd, which reacted like a herd of domestic cattle, lining up in line abreast facing us at about 60 yards distance. My PH pointed out the largest bull, and I put a 570 grain solid in the middle of his chest with my .505. The herd milled around and faced us again, minus the wounded bull which had decamped over the hill.

The PH pointed out an even bigger bull and I contributed another shot from the .505. Same thing, herd milled around, came back to a facing configuration. Again the bull I shot had disappeared.

Now the PH pointed out an even bigger bull. One more shot, and the whole herd took off. We resumed our original formation and followed.

We came across the first bull, stretched out dead about 100 yards from where he was first hit. Then my gun bearer pointed off to the right, where a bull was apparantly lying down broadside to us, facing to our right (back the way we had come). I put another shot into him at the shoulder and then went over to check the results. It turned out that the bull, now dead, had not been lying down, but was standing up in a small gully, so that only his head and body were exposed. He was dead when we came up to him, however.

We continued to follow the herd until the tracker pointed to a thicket, where we could just make out the third bull lying down and facing back toward us, evidently waiting in ambush. Two shots from my .458 confirmed that he was dead, however. (The gun bearer was carrying the .458, which I had not yet tried on buffalo. The result were inconclusive, obviously. I later did kill another buffalo with it, but felt more confident with the .505, which seemed more authoritative to me. Still does.)

The road crew, having heard the shooting, soon arrived with a dump truck and loaded the headless carcasses on it. There was wild feasting in the road camp that night.

Two of the three buffalo had evidently tried to set up an ambush, but were too sick to carry it out. If the first shots had not been well placed, I feel sure things would have gotten very lively

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Hunting tactics-Wounded Dangerous Game!! [Re: xausa]
      #81533 - 30/06/07 10:51 AM

How close or how far should I ideally be to the PH in thick tall grass to cover the flank and still give support fire and vice versa for him?? 10 feet?

In thick stuff I assume closer is better but you don't want to block the PH's movement laterally to shoot further or your own--

Any PH's out there?

Edited by hoppdoc (30/06/07 10:55 AM)

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #81677 - 02/07/07 06:05 PM

On moving in on big game you will normally be right behind your PH until its time for the shot. After the shot you will often need to follow up the animal for some meters, normally side by side with a couple meters separating you but if the going is real thick you will revert to shadowing him again.
In any case its exiting..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1282

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com