Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Botswana Leopards, Crocs and Elephants

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Botswana Leopards, Crocs and Elephants
      #81355 - 27/06/07 06:24 AM

Hi Folks

We just got back from the Tuli Block Botswana and I thought some of you might enjoy a pic of the Leopard we took there. A short summary of the hunt is we hung 6 baits and within 48 hours had 6 strikes. We sat 3 times and rejected all 3 cats as not being quite large enough. In total we identified 16 separate Leopards. One particular cat was a real hit and run merchant but looked by his spoor to be very big indeed…….. this was the one I wanted and eventually on the 12th night of the hunt, we got him on the bait and he fell to a beautifully placed shot from the client and my .404. This cat measured 17 inches on the skull measurements and was just under 10 foot round the curves.

We get either 1 or 2 Leopard permits a year for this area and as 2 of the neighbours are cattle farmers, - The cats here get very big on the good diet as can be seen by the pic of the Leopard carcass. – Check out the amount of fat on it. The area has a higher Leopard population than anywhere I’ve ever seen. It also has a huge problem with Elephant damage. (see pics below) While we were there, we spoke to the game department and if you book in 2007 for 2008, we have the following offer.

Book at least a 10 day plains game hunt at US$490 per day 1x1 or US$400 per hunter per day 2x1, or a 14 day Leopard & plains game hunt for US$650 per day 1x1 (plus US$2000 Leopard licence) and you can also take a PAC Elephant or Elephants for US$5000 per Elephant. (We currently have 15 Elephant available to hunt) If you don’t shoot an Elephant, you don’t pay the US$5000.

As is usual on my Elephant hunts, we only take mature bulls. – No cows, calves or adolescents will be taken unless in life threatening circumstances. Trophy fee prices are all available on the Botswana page of my website.

As a bit of additional fun, you can also join me (FOC) in my latest bit of lunacy of catching crocs on a rod and line if you wish……. It’s GREAT fun and they fight like nothing you’ve ever seen before. My largest to date (grassed) is about 2.5 metres long, and the biggest hooked about 3.5 metres long….. he took 250 yards of line and kept going with it……..but there are bigger flatdogs there……..

Those clients who have already booked one of our 7 day PAC Elephant hunts in Botswana have the option to change their booking to one of these hunts if they wish. – We’ll be contacting those guys to offer them the choice in the next few days.

As we go to Tanzania in a few days, please forgive us if we don’t reply to your e-mail enquiries immediately.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Botswana Leopards, Crocs and Elephants [Re: shakari]
      #81375 - 27/06/07 02:37 PM

Lovely large leopard. How do I get a 'house cat' like that?

The mixed plains game/mixed plains game-leopard hunts with the possibility of a PAC elephant sound good value. What are the circumstances in which a bull elephant can be taken? Are the herds resident or come into the area? Do you get to keep any ivory?

"As a bit of additional fun, you can also join me (FOC) in my latest bit of lunacy of catching crocs on a rod and line if you wish……. It’s GREAT fun and they fight like nothing you’ve ever seen before. My largest to date (grassed) is about 2.5 metres long, and the biggest hooked about 3.5 metres long….. he took 250 yards of line and kept going with it……..but there are bigger flatdogs there…….."

I have "heard" of fellows that put large very heavy set lines out in the North of Australia. Usually broken when they return the next morning ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

shakari
.400 member

Re: Botswana Leopards, Crocs and Elephants [Re: NitroX]
      #81383 - 27/06/07 03:58 PM

Hi John,

I've honestly never seen an area with as much Leopard activity as this one......and there were plenty of similar sized spoor to the cat we took. - One must be about 15% bigger one his one front paw and the other front paw is missing the toes. - Probably got caught in a snare at some time...... but that bugger just ripped the baits down and took them off to eat elsewhere. Incidentally, during the 2 week cat hunt, we saw Leopards twice in the daytime and found two fresh (and I really do mean fresh) natural kills.

The Elephants are in large family herds with lots of babies and the bulls are sometimes with them and/or sometimes in small groups. - mostly between 2-4. They move up and down the Tuli Block but seem to visit each area for a few days and then move on. Seems to be about a 5-7 day cycle. We currently have permission to hunt the Elephants on 4 adjoining areas and are working on expanding that number.

Regarding the flatdogs, the largest one I hooked into, I had on for 45 minutes but it was vitrually impossible to turn him with the tackle I was using..... lotsa fun though.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
      #81386 - 27/06/07 04:36 PM

Very nice cat, well done Steve

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Botswana Leopards, Crocs and Elephants [Re: SAHUNT]
      #81394 - 27/06/07 11:36 PM

That leopard looks quite edible. Is it eaten?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

shakari
.400 member

#81397 - 28/06/07 12:49 AM

Not by me!...... I don't know about cats in other parts of the world, but in Africa, they're host to an awful lot of parasites etc and most of them can cause us humans a lot of health problems....... I fed the carcass to the flatdogs right next to the fishing deck at the lodge.

That said, I've heard of some clients eating cat meat and had one 2 years ago that ate some Lion fillets..... Not me though, I had the cook fix me up a proper meal.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
      #81404 - 28/06/07 03:41 AM

Steve, I got to agree with you. One predator does not eat another predator. I'll stick to venison.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Botswana Leopards, Crocs and Elephants [Re: SAHUNT]
      #81409 - 28/06/07 05:09 AM

In principle I have to agree Jaco..But..when all's said and done. Pussy's pussy. :-)

Mark

shakari
.400 member

Re: Botswana Leopards, Crocs and Elephants [Re: Bramble]
      #81410 - 28/06/07 05:36 AM

I always make it a rule never to eat anything that eats people......

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#81475 - 29/06/07 02:02 PM

But I bet you eat crocodile ... ?

I love crocodile. Fishy tasting chicken.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

shakari
.400 member

#81477 - 29/06/07 03:33 PM

Nope, 'fraid not. If the client wants to eat it, that's fine but I'll ask the chef to whip me up something else.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #81509 - 30/06/07 03:28 AM

In another thread entitled "Is the Leopard a Big 5 animal" the following comment was made:

"My bud just didn't think that a Big 5 animal should be shot off a tree limb at dusk. He wouldn't want to wait in a blind. Didn't seem right to him--"

Would you care to respond to it?

Incidentally, one of your remarks was a little ambiguous to me. Was the client using your .404?

Congratulations on a super leopard!

shakari
.400 member

Re: Botswana Leopards, Crocs and Elephants [Re: xausa]
      #81515 - 30/06/07 04:09 AM

There's really 3 ways to hunt Mr Spots. You can use dogs, which although I've never tried, I don't personally want to do.

You can bait them which is difficult but not impossible if you do it right. - I've had 100% success rate for the last 7 or 8 years or so I guess. I personally like baiting them as it's a mind game......which I enjoy.

The third way is to track them. - We tried this on 3 occasions on this hunt and had no luck...... (IMO) tracking them would give a success rate in single figures and to be honest, there are very few hunters willing to accept that low a success rate.

Every hunter has his own ideas on the way to take Mr Spots and I respect all of them...... if we were all the same, life would be very boring huh.....

As to the .404, the client used the rifle we use as a client loaner. It's a custom built .404 Jeffery made by Sabi Rifles in Nelspruit RSA with a Swarovski 1.5-6 scope and QD mounts.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

shakari
.400 member

#81552 - 01/07/07 12:59 AM

Guys,

It looks like we're gonna get additional Leopard quota from the areas surrounding our hunting area in Tuli Block. Accommodation and PG hunting will take place in our area and the cats will be hunted in the adjacent areas. We won't accept deposits until we're sure of the additional quota.

If anyone is interested in being put on the waiting list for these hunts please feel free to contact us with your contact details.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
      #81584 - 01/07/07 02:08 PM

Steve,

How big is the ivory and is it exportable?

Armbar.

shakari
.400 member

Re: Botswana Leopards, Crocs and Elephants [Re: armbar]
      #81589 - 01/07/07 03:35 PM

They're PAC Elephants and therefore the ivory and everything else for that matter is non exportable. Average tusk weight would be around 35 lbs a side and the largest taken last year from these same populations was a single tusker of 70 odd lbs.

Officially the only thing you can take away are photographs and memories and unofficially, you'll probably get away with some tail hairs as well.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
      #81661 - 02/07/07 03:05 PM

Thanks, best of luck in Tanzania.

Armbar.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2754

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com