Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Iron Sight Preferences?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Iron Sight Preferences?
      #81136 - 22/06/07 10:53 AM

Not sure where to post this really but since I suspect the lion's share of the doubles are iron-sighted I'll post here.

What type of rear sight do you prefer? {U-notch, Vee-notch, Wide/shallow Vee...}

What front sight do you prefer?
Type? {bead, sourdough, blade, barleycorn...}
Width? {of bead or others...}

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Iron Sight Preferences? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #81138 - 22/06/07 11:46 AM

With a well fitted stock, I prefer a bead ( larger ivory type) and shallow V.
Most of my sporters ( like the Huskey 9.3X57) and my sporter 88s, have a U. There are nice silver medium beads. My 98 action 9.3 is well fitted to me and comes to the shoulder and I can see straight down the sights well lined up. My '96 action with the older style stock is much thinner on the comb and I have to adjust my eye to line the windage.
My Mauser 98 .375 H&H has a larger U and Ivory bead. It comes to shoulder with sights aligned.
I think the Vs are faster, if you are fitted well to the stock.
I have used Slanted blades with gold line with good success for longer range shooting. Past 100-150 plus meters, I prefer the balde with a square or U notch.

I think one of the worst (there are worse) are the German military V notch and barleycorn ^ front. Possible, but they take work. Note though the Swedish Mauser Sites with Blade and U notch. Much better for faster and precise shooting.

If I have a dangerous game Double ( I have drillings and Combos), If the stock is fitted to me, it woudl be the Wide V and an ivory bead (larger).
That's my two cents.
88MauSporter

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Iron Sight Preferences? [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #81146 - 22/06/07 09:12 PM

My preference is for an aperture rear sight and white bead front sight. The specific configuration depends on the application.

For close cover I prefer a fairly wide rear aperture on a fixed rear sight, with a large bead up front. An adjustable rear sight is fitted and the gun is fired and sighted in. When the correct point of aim is found, carefully measure the height of the center of the aperture above the bore. Measure and drill the aperture of the fixed sight accordingly. Remove the adjustable sight and install the fixed sight. Adjust for windage by drifting the front sight.

On a stalking rifle I prefer a somewhat smaller white front bead, and a rear sight that is adjustable for elevation via finger knob. I also use a Merit adjustable iris to bring the front sight into focus. I like to fit a block of steel under the rear sight when it is at the 100-yard setting. If the sight gets bumped, it is less likely to bend. It will adjust up off the block of steel for longer shots, and can be immediately returned to the 100 yard zero by adjusting it down until it hits.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Iron Sight Preferences? [Re: Tatume]
      #81149 - 23/06/07 01:48 AM

Absolutely best AND quickest sight combination I have ever used were on a Heym SR30 straight pull. I bellieve they were ERA. The rear was a pedastal with a windage adjustable blade that was shaped like a flat topped pyramid. It had a square notch and this notch had a yellow flourescent tube running vertically from bottom of blade. Front sight was a red flourescent bead adjustable for elevation. You just sat the red dot on top of the yellow vertical bar. They were quick. Have never seen another rear sight like them but don't have an ERA catalog,maybe they are listed. The rifle was a 35 Whelen carbine and I believe it was made specifically to shoot running boar in Germany. Except for the typical European butt stock it was one nice gun. And it WAS fast to shoot.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Iron Sight Preferences? [Re: zimhunter]
      #81150 - 23/06/07 02:37 AM

Thanks for the posts. Very interesting to get other's likes.

I primarily use my open sighted guns for hounding bear and for bad weather deer hunting in rain and snow, both conditions occuring in thick timber and offering very small targets at times and fast moving targets at others. My own preference is for a big thick front post {NOT a fine blade} or sourdough combined with a square open rear with the notch cut wide to allow plenty of light around the front post when the rifle is sighted, i.e. allowing the animal's body to be seen on either side of the front post. Very fast and given time, very precise.

Some obviously like them and do well with them, but I have never been able to obtain consistent results from a bead of any kind for the front sight. I get shifting zero depending on direction of the sunlight reflecting off it and elevation is hard to maintain due to the fading of the top of the bead. I gave up on them years ago and started cutting my own.

With peep rear, I still like the same front sight.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

UtahLefty
.224 member

Reged: 10/01/07
Loc: Northern Utah
      #81160 - 23/06/07 04:16 AM

I love the XS ghostring peep with the .100" front post and have it on several rifles. I also do well with a shallow V and white bead (realtively large)

--------------------
-UtahLefty

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Iron Sight Preferences? [Re: UtahLefty]
      #81161 - 23/06/07 04:24 AM

Wide shallow V express with platinum center wire and a platinum bead. On medium bores I use an .060" bead and no larger than .080" on the large bores. Most of the beads that come on big bore rifles are way too large for any precision past 50 yards.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #81163 - 23/06/07 04:41 AM

On my bolt guns, I use a Lyman 48 receiver sight with the screw in aperture removed for close in work, with a gold faced sourdough front sight. On my DR's I use a wide shallow V with a gold faced sourdough front. Both are sighted in to point of impact at 50 yards.

As referred to elsewhere, stock fit is crucial. When you bring the rifle up to your cheek, you should be on target and if neccessary able to hit what you are pointing at without using the sights. The sights should just be there to confirm your aim, if you have time to use them, or, in a less hurried situation, to allow you to pick out a precise point of impact to hit.

Stuart
.275 member

Reged: 24/05/07
Loc: Mission, B.C., Canada
      #81179 - 23/06/07 04:49 PM

Apologies for intruding a little here as I'm not a double rifle owner and I know that a DG rifle's sight requirements are usually different than most other rifles.

On my Marlin 1894 and 1895 I have a fairly wide aperture on the rear and an XS-type front sight as I've found notch rear sights difficult to line up. Ageing eyes probably don't help, either. However, I recently acquired an SMLE Nš1 barrel to replace the shot-out one on a Martini carbine and once I re-marked the vertical line on the rear sight, then installed a home-made "white-line" sight (originally made as a taller alternative on a Nš4 sporter,) I was surprised how good the sight acquisition is:

(Sorry, I couldn't get them both in focus)

This shows the front sight in focus although at the expense of the rear one:

The white line on both sights is a thin strip of Scotchlite- the same material used on stop signs (overprinted with transparent red ink to expose the letters), so it reflects ambient light.

Stuart

--------------------
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by
smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles
who really mean it. (Mark Twain)

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Iron Sight Preferences? [Re: Stuart]
      #81180 - 23/06/07 06:12 PM

Stuart:
No need to apologise for contributing to a discussion on iron sights. You have raised a very valid point, one that Ross Seyfried published an article on years ago, although in your case I believe you would be better-off with a platinum insert, so it will still be there after you have pushed through a brushy gully!

Coming from a highly successful pistol-shooting background, Seyfried realised that the standard pistol 'iron' sight, consisting of a deep square notch and flat-top blade, operates like a peep-sight. The shooter does not focus on the rear sight, just the front sight. The wide deep rear notch is there simply to provide a light-gap on either side of the front blade, in the same manner as an aperture sight.

Seyfried set this sight up on an early Remington .416 rifle from memory, and guided in Africa with it for several seasons.

OK, so why not just 'go the whole hog' and fit an aperture? The pistol-style irons look more traditional in their position on the barrel I guess, and are a bit of a hybrid in that they can still be used as a precision sight by bringing both the front and rear sights into focus, if you have time.

Anyway, I shoot pistols myself, and quickly recognized the merit of this sighting system. Although I have never fitted-up a rifle that way myself, I have always kept it in mind, and it may suit other posters here as well as yourself, Stuart.

PS: to get the best out of this system, you would need to widen and deepen the rear notch on that Martini I reckon. The depth could be 3 or 4 times as deep although I realize the sight body might not permit this. Ideally it should be wide enough to permit a light gap in the order of 1/3 to 1/2 the width of your front blade, on either side.
Anyway, food for thought......

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Edited by Marrakai (23/06/07 06:20 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Iron Sight Preferences? [Re: Marrakai]
      #81186 - 23/06/07 11:26 PM

Quote:

Stuart:
No need to apologise for contributing to a discussion on iron sights. You have raised a very valid point, one that Ross Seyfried published an article on years ago, although in your case I believe you would be better-off with a platinum insert, so it will still be there after you have pushed through a brushy gully!

Coming from a highly successful pistol-shooting background, Seyfried realised that the standard pistol 'iron' sight, consisting of a deep square notch and flat-top blade, operates like a peep-sight. The shooter does not focus on the rear sight, just the front sight. The wide deep rear notch is there simply to provide a light-gap on either side of the front blade, in the same manner as an aperture sight.

Seyfried set this sight up on an early Remington .416 rifle from memory, and guided in Africa with it for several seasons.

OK, so why not just 'go the whole hog' and fit an aperture? The pistol-style irons look more traditional in their position on the barrel I guess, and are a bit of a hybrid in that they can still be used as a precision sight by bringing both the front and rear sights into focus, if you have time.

Anyway, I shoot pistols myself, and quickly recognized the merit of this sighting system. Although I have never fitted-up a rifle that way myself, I have always kept it in mind, and it may suit other posters here as well as yourself, Stuart.

PS: to get the best out of this system, you would need to widen and deepen the rear notch on that Martini I reckon. The depth could be 3 or 4 times as deep although I realize the sight body might not permit this. Ideally it should be wide enough to permit a light gap in the order of 1/3 to 1/2 the width of your front blade, on either side.
Anyway, food for thought......

Exactly!

I don't remember Seyfried mentioning this but it is true and the WIDE rear notch flat topped front post is as I said the best I've found. To say that the rear sight is used as an aperture is really pretty close to the truth.

Why not an aperture?

I know all the standard "truths" about how an aperture is the fastest of all irons to use, etc, but I have found that for me in very poor light it is unreliable. I'm not certain why. Since it isn't "looked at" it shouldn't be an issue, but it is nevertheless. Is my eye not centering because it doesn't have enough sight to subconsciously see? I have no idea. I prefer the big billboard rear with a big wide notch and a thick, front post.

I generally do not like permanent sight inserts; permanent lines, dots, triangles or whatnot. They may be fine for use in Africa or Australia where the background colors generally stay the same, but for me I do not like to be tied to one type or color. I prefer to add my own as needed, if needed which is not all the time.

My iron-sighted rifles are genrally used in, as I mentioned, bad weather. In driving rain, common typing "White Out" on a degreased front blade serves perfectly to make the thing stand out against the background. For snow though, the black sight is preferable. Other colors can be used depending on the background of the terrain.

--------------------

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (24/06/07 12:38 PM)

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #81188 - 24/06/07 01:10 AM

I have a S&W 45ACP revolver from the performance center that is the most accurate pistol I've ever owned out of the box. It's the ultra light short barrel one with the Titanium cylinder and alloy frame and barrel shroud. The sights are the qickest pickup of any handgun I've ever shot. It's a red flourescent tube front and a funny 'VEE' rear blade. Very fast and clear. AND very precise for aimed shots.

Stuart
.275 member

Reged: 24/05/07
Loc: Mission, B.C., Canada
      #81192 - 24/06/07 02:42 AM

Quote:

I realized after posting that I should have mentioned that the front sight stripe isn't all that durable. (And it's not practical to try and fit a "window" hood to it.) I agree about widening and deepening the rear notch. I'm also thinking of looking for an appropriate Parker-Hale rear aperture sight, which I would probably enlarge the aperture on.

I miss Ross's articles in Rifle Magazine. Apparently he didn't get along with the staff, though and was let go.

Stuart

--------------------
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by
smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles
who really mean it. (Mark Twain)

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Iron Sight Preferences? [Re: Stuart]
      #81222 - 24/06/07 12:17 PM

9ThreeXFifty7:
Apologies, missed the significance of your description. Hope my discourse added something of value. How 'bout posting a photo of your set-up? I shall try to find a pic of Seyfried's .416 Remington to post.

Seyfried is certainly an acquired taste. Sometimes he just plain gives me the sh!ts with his "I alone have discovered the secret of shooting vintage British guns, and will now share it with the world!" when the rest of us have been quietly doing so successfully for decades. It's true though, there are so few American authors with any understanding of vintage Brit, we should be very grateful for anything he writes. ...and in truth I am.

--------------------
Marrakai

Marrakai
.416 member

#81227 - 24/06/07 12:47 PM

Hah! Found it. Unfortunately only a mediocre photocopy, the original is buried in my storage system somewhere. The article is called 'A Professional's Rifle', published in Guns & Ammo December 1990. I remember Ross went into some detail about this sight system in one of his monthly columns around that time, too.

--------------------
Marrakai

9.3x57
.450 member

#81229 - 24/06/07 12:52 PM

Quote:

9ThreeXFifty7:
Apologies, missed the significance of your description. Hope my discourse added something of value. How 'bout posting a photo of your set-up? I shall try to find a pic of Seyfried's .416 Remington to post.

Seyfried is certainly an acquired taste. Sometimes he just plain gives me the sh!ts with his "I alone have discovered the secret of shooting vintage British guns, and will now share it with the world!" when the rest of us have been quietly doing so successfully for decades. It's true though, there are so few American authors with any understanding of vintage Brit, we should be very grateful for anything he writes. ...and in truth I am.

Nah, my bad. I reread that thing and it sounded crusty. Edited.

As for Seyfried, I think your description is spot on. I, too pretty much always liked what he wrote, just sometimes got annoyed with the way he wrote it!

I'll see if I can get a pic posted.

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#81231 - 24/06/07 01:43 PM

Here's mine:

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

#81232 - 24/06/07 02:14 PM

Too, I always get annoyed with the way he writes stuff!

Thanks for the pics. The idea obviously works. I will give this serious consideration if I ever fit-up a modern bolt-gun!

--------------------
Marrakai

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
      #81484 - 29/06/07 06:04 PM

I think apertures stink and avoid them.

I saw the article by Seyfried years ago and made my own set of Patridge sights for a Ruger #1 which worked great except that they weren't all that good when aiming at anything small. My weapon of choice for years was a handgun and you have to keep in mind Seyfried is a handgunner too, I think he was world IPSC champion back in the 1970's, so remember that before copying his choice of sights.

To do the Patridge combination on the #1 actually took a lot of experimenting with respect to the width of the rear notch with a decent sight picture was a heck of a lot wider than I had forecast in advance while using a 1/8" rear notch and I also made another rear sight with a 1/10" rear notch which was too narrow to pick up quickly. It took a lot of combinations to come up with one that I really liked and when I finally got the right combination I broke it and gave up. (I was making all the prototypes out of soft magnesium because I could make a sight in 20 minutes that way using the tools I had)

So I'd have to say shallow V and gold bead.

Richard

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Iron Sight Preferences? [Re: rgp]
      #81486 - 29/06/07 09:09 PM

Quote:

I saw the article by Seyfried years ago and made my own set of Patridge sights for a Ruger #1 which worked great except that they weren't all that good when aiming at anything small.

Aw, c'mon, how do you really feel?

I agree. I've used aperture sights for hunting on a couple of trips, and will never make that mistake again. I have enough trouble with them in strong light, and find them utterly useless in bad. The U and square notch stuff with a sourdough post are fine on the range, but if they're large enough to pick up quickly, they're too coarse to be of any use to me for serious hunting.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Iron Sight Preferences? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #81489 - 29/06/07 09:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. I've used aperture sights for hunting on a couple of trips, and will never make that mistake again. I have enough trouble with them in strong light, and find them utterly useless in bad. The U and square notch stuff with a sourdough post are fine on the range, but if they're large enough to pick up quickly, they're too coarse to be of any use to me for serious hunting.

I agree 100% with the above..For fast work with a double I like the rear V-shaped with a smaller bead in the front--have tried many others but this seems to work the best for me.

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #81499 - 30/06/07 12:36 AM

Those sights in the Ross article, are identical to the sights on Merkel double rifles of today! The sights are fine if the owner is a pistol shooter, because that is the type on most well made handguns, and if used properly, they work like a charm.

It is true they are not the best for dim light, and as the best place to have a double rifle, or a big bore bolt,is in the follow-up into the weeds with something that bits back, they should, IMO, be changed. I have two rifles, both double rifles, with this type of sights, and they will be modified to the wide "V", and the front Partridge re-formed into a round bead, and the face filed at an angle that reflects sky light back at the eye!

Ross S, is a knowledgable man, where old, or odd rifles are concerned, but I never read him much, unless he was writeing about something I was extremely interested in at the time. I find his writeing to have a little bit of an elitist tone, that doesn't set well with me! Still he is a person who knows his beans, and his advice in getting an unusual rifle to shoot well, should be taken to heart.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Iron Sight Preferences? [Re: Ripp]
      #81502 - 30/06/07 12:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree 100% with the above..For fast work with a double I like the rear V-shaped with a smaller bead in the front--have tried many others but this seems to work the best for me.

Ripp

These posts are why these forums are really interesting to me.

While I myself generally agree with the first part and also have misgivings about apertures which I find great at the range but difficult to use in the field, I absolutely 100% disagree with these fellows in regards to the use of the notch and post/sourdough for field use. I find that setup to combine precision with speed and have used that and the bead enough on game and varmints sitting or running to know which works for me.

I never thought about the pistol issue. I pretty much live with a pistol on me and for many years I have shot a fair amount of pistol on varmints and livestock and they have similar sights. Is that the reason I like them? Maybe you guys are right!

Lesson learned here in this thread is that there are differences of preference. If I were a guy that had experience only with scoped rifles and was to buy a $20,000 double, I'd sure as shootin' want to get some experience with different sights in order to make sure the thing was sighted for me. A good idea for a prospective buyer might be to buy a cheap bolt rifle and shoot that with wide vee/bead, notch/sourdough, peep/bead and peep/sourdough. Might save a lot of heartache and some dough in the long run.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #81514 - 30/06/07 04:08 AM

My .450 DR has a wide shallow V rear sight and as for the front sight, the bead is actually missing and needs replacing. Used it that way for all of its hunts. I do need to replace the bead with something. Still to make my mind up as well.

I don't like at all the small U notches in some big bore rear sight leaves. Way too slow.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Iron Sight Preferences? [Re: NitroX]
      #81532 - 30/06/07 10:42 AM

Fast action or match-type accuracy from a hunting rifle, so far, no hunting sights can beat the English Express sights, with wide shallow "V" and a bead front sight.
: Hold your tongue correctly, and the rifle will shoot into 1-1/2" or less on paper at 100 meters, or blast the animal perfectly in as little time as needed to shoulder the weapon. A properly stocked and sighted rifle is dead-on the moment the stock sinks into the shoudler pocket.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8122

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com