Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope Installation charges

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Scope Installation charges
      #80892 - 18/06/07 10:55 PM

In a thread a few weeeks ago, a new owner of a Krieghoff had been quoted about $1700 to install mounts for a scope on a 500/416. I thought that was a bit extreme. I had the chance to purchase a Merkel 160A sidelock, with very nice custom engraving (ex-show gun) from Merkel USA and wanted a mount for a 1.5-5 Luepold installed. I shipped them the scope and they supplied the bases and swing mount for the scope. The charge for installation, which included making sure it was properly regulated -- so it included the cost of the ammo to sight in -- was $600.

I have never had any issues with paying a good gunsmith who knows what he is doing a reasonable price for that work. I had the gun out to the range at it regulates perfectly at the requested 50yd distance, with the scope going on and off very smoothly. (The gun is a joy as well, lovely wood, very nice engraving, and smooth and consistent trigger action from the Merkel sidelock.) So I feel it was $600 well spent.

Perhaps some companies just like to soak their customers, under the theory that if you can buy a gun that costs more than many entry level cars, you will not blink at paying outrageous sums for work or accessories on your double. And perhaps that is why I do not own a current Krieghoff.

(And before you say why a scope on a 500, I can shot with or without, but a low powered scope is quite nice for elderly eyes -- read my signature.)

Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Scope Installation charges [Re: dnovo]
      #80894 - 18/06/07 11:01 PM

Well, for a start I'd check that they were the same mounts
being instaled on both guns.

You mention Swing bases, what if the ones on te Kreighoof were Claw Mounts ?

It could also have something to do with who they get to do
the work and what they charge ?

Just an opinion as IMHO, often people are not comparing the same items when discussing price.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #80896 - 18/06/07 11:07 PM

As I do not remember the thread I can not say with certainty, however I believe it you have a claw mount added to your double it can be quite expensive--Terry Wieland actually covers that topic in his new book on "Dangerous Game Rifles"---having said that, Yes, I think there are those who feel if you can pay the $$ for a double, you should be willing to pay whatever for the extra's--perfect example is lately I noticed that the going rate for .470 Norma brass on Midway was something in the $112. plus range for 20 pieces--rediculous to say the least--as in Federal loaded ammo in .470 --has gone from $215 to $295 in one year..
Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: Scope Installation charges [Re: Ripp]
      #80898 - 18/06/07 11:14 PM

I was referring to the labor charges, not the cost of the mounts and rings. The swing mounts are less expensive than claw mounts, and I have found that the Reknagel or EAW swing mounts will retain their zero when taken off to put the rifle back in its case or to use the iron sights quite well. They may not look quite as 'period' as claw mounts, but they work very well. And, as once the scope is on, there is little to see of the mount itself, I don't consider it an issue.

As to 'who does the work' I have spoken to Krieghoff USA on a question regarding a older O/U Krieghoff I own. They have a German-trained in house gunsmith who was very pleasant and informative and who I assume does their mounting. I have also had several conversations with GSI, the USA Merkel importer. Their mounting is also done by a German-trained in house gunsmith. Thus, I would assume labor charges should be the same.

Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #80910 - 19/06/07 02:25 AM

Ripp:

I apologize for being a little OT but re: ammo cost, check out last year's increases by percentage. Distributors tell me this year will see another 30% increase overall. Shows up a bit more with the big bores but it is plaguing the small's, too.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Scope Installation charges [Re: 9.3x57]
      #80926 - 19/06/07 11:29 AM

In visiting with the suppliers they are attributing it to China buying up all the worlds supplies of metals-along with an increased need of brass because of Iraq..

Midway, Huntington's and Cabela's have all told me this--true or not I am not sure, but China's grow is going wild..so buy your brass now as it will probably only get worse for the forseeable furture..I am even buying it for guns I plan to but in the next few years--

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1586

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com