Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 2 bore rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
bigdog
.375 member

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: Southern Illinois
2 bore rifle
      #80798 - 17/06/07 07:30 AM

Does anybody know who could build me a 2 bore single shot black powder gun?? I am interested in any info available. thanks

--------------------
Kyle, I love you buddy, Dad

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: 2 bore rifle [Re: bigdog]
      #80799 - 17/06/07 07:42 AM

Ken Owen would be one person to contact.

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #80810 - 17/06/07 10:52 AM

bigdog,
Not a 2 bore, but Hatari Times #21 has an interesting article on the creation and use of a 4 bore muzzle loader and a subsequent elephant hunt. The single shots, although shooting the same load as a double are generally much lighter making the recoil just a tad more exciting. Just ask Omnibob of this site. Bob, are you out there?

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Edited by gatsby (17/06/07 01:28 PM)

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
Re: 2 bore rifle [Re: gatsby]
      #80969 - 20/06/07 02:52 AM

I'm still around Gatsby, though my continuing middle eastern 'vacation' makes internet access sporadic to say the least!

First of all, I think Bigdog could probably teach me a thing or two about recoil judging by some of the crazy guns he shoots, but I'll throw in my recoil perspective from shooting my 4.

-With heavy loads it leave a bruise, every time, even with a shoulder recoil pad.
-If I didn't focus on it, my right hand middle finger would get battered to the point it would swell and remain painful for a week or so afterwards. I started wrapping the rear of the trigger guard with bubble wrap until I improved a bit.
-I usually shoot 3-4 rounds, with 5-10 minutes between to collect my thoughts, but have quit after one when things didn't feel right. The most I've fired in a day was eight light-medium loads. I try to quit before any sign of 'gun headache' occurs, as who knows what damage you may really be doing.
-After every shot I promise myself I'll never do that again! The feeling passes and in a few minutes I'm grinning like an idiot and back at it.
-It's brutal and a hoot too, and I think it has improved my shooting by forcing me to really really focus every ounce of my mind on the shot and follow through while rolling with the punch. It reminds me of when I used to box. I had to convince myself that getting punched in the face (repeatedly in my case, I was terrible) wasn't a good excuse for not doing what I set out to do. Misses hurt as much as hits.

Now that my rant is out of the way, what exactly do you have in mind Bigdog? I assume a muzzle loader? Giles Whittome in the UK is finishing a cartridge single 2 bore (1.052" diameter, proved as a 2 bore, as there is a bit of license in bore guns) currently. I don't know if he would make anything larger. He penned an article in DGJ 2-3 years back regarding his efforts and the proofing process. His guns are first class. Ross Seyfried has a 600N single shot of his that was in Rifle magazine 6-7 years ago and he made an incredible 44" damascus 4 gauge barrel for my Bland several decades ago.

I don't recall who made John the Greek's muzzle loading 8 bore, but I recall he mentioned the maker also made 4's. It looks like an outstanding gun and maybe he could be persuaded to go big(ger)?

Are you after a 1.350" bore? I cringe at the thought of how heavy and brutal that gun would be, but I understand, I have the fever too

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

bigdog
.375 member

Re: 2 bore rifle [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #80996 - 20/06/07 12:19 PM

Bob thanks for the information. I am always interested in others expierences,as one is never to old to learn something new. I was in contact with my original guy that was going to make me the 2 bore today, and he has found someone to help with the heat treating that he needed on a few pieces of metal. So my project is not dead yet.It looks now like it may be completed in about 5 months. The barrel is 33" long and the total weight will be about 23 or 24 lbs. The bore diameter is a full 1.36" and it is a black powder muzzle loader.It will shoot a 3500 grain ball. The stock and barrel are complete now. Work on the under stock firing mechanism and trigger have been the hold up. This is not going to be a fancy gun, just something I feel the need to shoot. My Ken Owen 4 bore double is supposed to be completed by November. It has the full 1.052 bore diameter, 22" barrels and will weigh appx 26 to 27 lbs. It is like Safari Kids, except for 2" longer barrels and it is left handed and no fancy engraving. While I have not shot a 4 bore double or a 2 bore B.P. gun, I have shot my 700 nitro Saercy Double, my 600 Overkill and my 585 wells magnum quite a bit. I will work up cautiously on the 2 bore loads. I do not mind big recoil, but I don't want to have my ass knocked on the ground either. There is just something that intrigues me about the big bore rifles or (handguns 600 nitro, 50 alaskan, and 460 weatherby). I am sure that being crazy helps!

--------------------

JohnTheGreek
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/04
Loc: Cairo, Egypt
      #81016 - 20/06/07 05:13 PM

Bob,

My eight bore was made by Jim Gefroh in Ft. Collins Colorado. He builds his own actions so I would think he could likely do a two bore as well. His web site is www.gefrohbigbores.com . As an aside, if on your "vacation" you make your way to Cairo, drop me a PM and we'll get some lunch.

Best,

John

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Re: 2 bore rifle [Re: JohnTheGreek]
      #81117 - 22/06/07 01:02 AM

John, Great website and PM Sent.

Bob

--------------------

bigdog
.375 member

#81148 - 23/06/07 01:27 AM

John, I checked with Jim, he will make a 4 bore single shot but will not tackle a 2 bore. Thanks for the website address.Jim makes some very nice looking rifles.

--------------------

JohnTheGreek
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/04
Loc: Cairo, Egypt
      #81178 - 23/06/07 04:00 PM

OK...I think there is probably one more posibility besides Jim Gefroh and that would be Steve Zihn. I haven't actually handled Steve's work but it looks very promising from the photos I've seen and conversations I've had. Steve's email address is ... szihn@wyoming.com . I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here.

Best,

John

bigdog
.375 member

Re: 2 bore rifle [Re: JohnTheGreek]
      #81358 - 27/06/07 09:21 AM

John, Thanks, I have been in touch with Steve, and he can indeed make me a 2 bore powder gun. If my other guy backs out, I am going to work with Steve to get one built. Steve sure puts out some beautiful rifles. He is very knowledgable and willing to help. Again thanks for the contact.

--------------------

empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
      #83021 - 25/07/07 05:50 AM

Bigdog there is a 2 bore shotgun for sale in the uk at T stensby in the uk

Ben

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: 2 bore rifle [Re: empirevr]
      #83041 - 25/07/07 12:14 PM

Hi Bigdog.
I am here if you need me. Just let me know

Steve

bigdog
.375 member

Re: 2 bore rifle [Re: szihn]
      #83642 - 07/08/07 12:29 PM

Steve, I pm ed you. thanks for the help.

--------------------

Westley
.224 member

Reged: 03/09/07
Loc: Murfreesboro, TN
      #85212 - 06/09/07 06:52 AM

I can't recall the name of the guy in Trinidad, CO that has built a pretty good number of 4 bores, but I believe that he's also built some 2 bores as well. Does very nice work, both metal and stock and is in the American Gunsmith's Guild. If you contact Chuck Grace (who is also in the Guild) and he could tell you. He's in Trinidad, CO as well and is in the phone book. I'll try and find his number when I get home.

Robert

Westley
.224 member

Reged: 03/09/07
Loc: Murfreesboro, TN
Re: 2 bore rifle [Re: Westley]
      #85289 - 08/09/07 02:24 PM

His name is Clayton Nelson. Does some damn fine work.

bigdog
.375 member

Re: 2 bore rifle [Re: Westley]
      #85319 - 09/09/07 12:11 PM

Thanks for the help guys. The project is under way and Steve is going to do the work for me.

--------------------

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

#90528 - 04/12/07 05:27 PM

Nice looking 2-bore at Holt's, lot 663. Also a H&H 10 paradox.

Flintlock 2-bore

* A BEHEMOTHIC 2-BORE FLINTLOCK BIG GAME RIFLE BY DEAN, LONDON, early 19th century, with 32 3/4in. slightly tapering barrel rifled with twelve grooves and signed 'DEAN. LONDON' towards the breech, bead fore-sight, rear-sight of one standing and three folding leaves, scroll engraved recessed patent breech inlaid with a single platinum line and with platinum-lined touch-hole, scroll engraved tang and signed lock, the latter with rainproof pan and roller, figured walnut stock with chequered grip (minor restoration to right side of fore-end, small repair to toe), scroll engraved iron mounts including scrolled trigger-guard with pineapple finial, white metal escutcheon and barrel-bolt escutcheons, dark horn fore-end cap, and original iron- and brass-mounted wooden ramrod, London proof marks, weight approx. 21lbs, in substantial modern full length close-fitted brass-cornered oak case with some accessories including original iron pincer-type bullet mould, Manton & Co., Calcutta 1 3/4in. patch cutter, large leather-covered Hawksley powder-flask with white metal charger graduated from 8 to 10 drams, a steel and brass loading rod, loading funnel, mainspring clamp, and two cleaning rods and a worm, the case also containing the parts to convert the rifle to percussion ignition comprising a hammer and a nipple-unit, the latter replacing the steel, the lid with reproduction trade label of W. Dean, the case with canvas outer.
Estimate £6,000-8,000

Bob

--------------------

bigdog
.375 member

#94130 - 12/01/08 07:01 PM

Bob, I did not see your post until after the auction was over. Thanks anyway. I would be curious to know what it went for.

--------------------

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #94144 - 13/01/08 03:48 AM

I think it was 16K British

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6859

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com