Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Overhaul or new engine

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Overhaul or new engine
      #8064 - 02/02/04 09:41 PM

I have a Toyota Landcruiser in 2.4 Turbo diesel,its a Japanese domestic model the SX 5 Turbo.Its been with me for a very long time and is an excellent vehicle.After having clocked over 350,000 kms.its engine has weakened and needs overhauling.Now i have a choice of either replacing the engine with a slightly used engine,one thats done about 25000kms. or overhauling it with original Toyata parts.Costwise, replacing the engine will cost twice as much than overhauling it.
Not being an expert on such matters i seek guidance from fellow members.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Overhaul or new engine [Re: iqbal]
      #8086 - 03/02/04 10:15 AM

iqbal,
If the "low mileage" replacement engine is an import engine from Japan I'd be a little wary.
These engines have often done a lot more running time than their kilometers actually indicate as often they have been used in heavy stop start Japan congested traffic situations and that is the reason that they have been removed from the original vehicle in the first place.
If on the other hand the engine has come from a local "wrecked" vehicle showing 25,000 klm then it may be ok.
Regarding overhauling your engine I would say that it all depends on how much care, experience and quality of workmanship goes into the reconditioning job.
If you have an engine rebuilder who is known to do the job properly and not try to shortcut anything, the overhauled engine should be ok.
When it comes down to making a decision, I'd rather have an engine that was put together by the factory than one that was rebuilt by an engine shop unless you know for certain that the engine shops work is of the same standard as the factory.
hth

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Overhaul or new engine [Re: 4seventy]
      #8125 - 04/02/04 02:45 AM

4Seventy,actually the replacement engine is not an import,it will be removed from a vehicle which has been imported duty free to Afghanistan.Since we cannot buy the vehicle and use it because of the duty factor we can pay for the vehicle and remove the engine.This sort of trade is pretty common at the border areas especially in the city of Quetta.The vehicle is brand new and the only mileage it does is the distance it travels from Afghanistan to Pakistan via the backroads.The rest of the parts are also sold off in the market.After having disposed all parts the net effect is taken into account and it works out to double the cost of overhauling.

tunofun
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Darwin, NT, Australia
Re: Overhaul or new engine [Re: iqbal]
      #31061 - 14/05/05 01:43 AM

If you can get a good engine builder to do it, definetly go with the rebuild. You know it's got all new consumables in it then (rings, bearings, oil pump etc). Just because the new engine has low miles doesn't mean it hasn't been thrashed it's whole short life, you may need to fix things soon down the track. If there are no good rebuilders in your part of the world go with the replacement, shoddy rebuild work is the worst. Another option may be an exchange engine, you give them your own engine and they give you a rebuilt one, makes it easy but costs a bit more.

Hope this helps.

--------------------

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
Sigmund Freud -- General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1962

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com