Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Spartan s/s

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Sam
.224 member

Reged: 11/04/06
Spartan s/s
      #80315 - 11/06/07 07:48 AM

Have somebody been watching/tried this gun?
For USD 700,- it must be worth buying it anyway.
I choose the 45-70.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
Re: Spartan s/s [Re: Sam]
      #80323 - 11/06/07 10:03 AM

Most say it isnt very strong.....

Might be fun but forget hot loads and such.....

Zoli and others make good low price doubles.

Ben

dougk
.224 member

Reged: 18/04/07
Loc: Driftwood, TX
Re: Spartan s/s [Re: empirevr]
      #80330 - 11/06/07 11:12 AM

I have a Baikal, which is a great combo for the money. Because of my success with the Baikal I picked up a Spartan in a 12/223 configuration. After several attempts at repair EAA, to their credit, fixed the situation. However, I will not be purchasing a Spartan, the quality control on the barrel regulation appears to be worse now that Remington is involved.
Doug

watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
Re: Spartan s/s [Re: dougk]
      #80343 - 11/06/07 02:29 PM

G'day all from Ian (aka watto) in Oz.

Firstly congratulations on a fantastic site! I have just joined and this is my first post. I live in a rural area called Lindenow, near the town of Bairnsdale in eastern Victoria. I have a baikal 45/70 sxs on order which is supposed to land here in the next 2 or 3 weeks, after chasing one for 2 years approximately. I had ideas of pretty well immediately doing a re-chamber to .450 Alaskan, but have since been advised that the action probably would not be strong enough. So then I came up with what I thought was a pretty crazy idea of using the Baikal barrels and the action of a Fausti 12g sxs and having a good gunsmith addapt them together. While researching the idea I came accross this site and here I am. The 12g looks to be in excellent condition and I have spoken to Mialls Gunshop in Frankston Vic, which is about a 4 hour drive from my place and they have said they can do the conversion for me. The thing that prompted me to write was the previous post in this thread that seemed to suggest that the regulating system did not work. When I contacted Mialls, who I believe do a fair amount of work on traditional doubles, they stated that the had been playing with a 30/06 Baikal sxs and had it putting both barrels virtually through the same hole. I did not think to ask the range, but for that cal I would suspect it would be 100yds. They suggested the conversion would be probably about twice the cost of the new rifle ($1,300Au) making the overall cost a little over $4k including the 12g. If I am going to that expense (maybe not straight away) I am open to other suggestions as to more traditional calibers than the .450 Alaskan. My main hunting is for Sambar deer in the nearby hills, and I will use the double when hunting in heavy cover areas. I would also like to do a Buff hunt up the top end at some stage, and also before I become too feeble, maybe sell my yacht, sell my car, send my wife back to work and do the African thing that I have dreamed about since I was about 12. My current rifles are a Ruger 22/77 Hornet, an SMLE No3 .303 sporter and a .300 WSM Tika T3 Lite in mat s/s. I have previously owned a Pedersolli percussion DR in .58, but could not get it shooting well no matter what loads I tried. I also nearly purchased a .50 Alaskan DR which I believe ended up going to Darwin, so one of you blokes up there may have come accross it.

All the best, Ian.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Spartan s/s [Re: watto]
      #80344 - 11/06/07 02:37 PM

Watto

Welcome.

I think the range at Miall's is 50 yards - and IMHO, you don't want the bullets touching at 50 yards as if they started out at 1" apart, it means they are converging so they will soon cross.

The .50 Alaskan DR - was that the one in Balwyn gunshop ?

By the way, also talk to Bob at Kudu Services in Montrose.
Tel No and address in the back of the SSAA Magazine.

watto
.275 member

Re: Spartan s/s [Re: 500Nitro]
      #80345 - 11/06/07 02:50 PM

G'day and thanks for the welcome. I guess the "through the same hole" could be a figure of speech, but the point he was making was that the barrel regulating system seemed to work well. Thanks for the suggestion about Kudu, I had thought about contacting Bob, who has done a couple of jobs for me previously but just happened to contact Mialls first. I will give Bob a call and get his input on the idea. And in answer to your question about the .50 Alaskan yes it was at Whitehorse Arms in the Balwyn/Box Hill area. I believe it was built in Sydney on a Aya 12g sxs action.

Ian.

500Nitro
.450 member

#80346 - 11/06/07 02:56 PM

That 50 Alaskan was a nice piece
and a cheap way for someone to get
into a "bigger" sized DR even if it
was not full Nitro !

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #80354 - 11/06/07 10:47 PM

A .50 AK double sounds pretty interesting since due to increased case capacity a guy might be able to run heavy .45-70 type loads at much less pressure than that generated by the full house .50 AK. I know the guns take 50K psi loads from other rounds, but isn't the backthrust of a .348 Win case head size at 50K a little worrisome to anyone?

I realize they are not exactly the same thing, but as for regulation, I used to own three Baikal combo guns, all over-unders; one .30-06/12 ga, 2 7x57R/12 gauges. All sold in a flurry of horse tradin'.

I easily got the .30-06 and one of the 7x57R's to put a rifle bullet, rifled slug and buckshot pattern printing POA at 25-30 meters which was fine for me. The third 7x57R was pure unadulterated misery. I had both elevation and windage problems no amount of ammo swapping or barrel-monkeying would fix. Since at that point the third gun was all I had, I gave up on them as an unregulated two-barrel gun is dang near worse than a handful of rocks in my opinion. EAA couldn't fix the third combo gun either.

I have since read of a lot of regulation problems with these guns, to which the wise man says of course "Ya get what'cha pay for."

Nevertheless, I have a soft spot for them. My then 13-year-old son used one to "bayonet" a small bear that was literally at my ankles and which had already taken all six rounds from my .44 revolver. For that reason alone I wouldn't mind getting another and giving it another whirl. I have read of but not seen side-by-side 7x57R's from Baikal and such would be welcome here as I still have lots of ammo in that caliber.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
Re: Spartan s/s [Re: 9.3x57]
      #80403 - 12/06/07 07:48 AM

Watto.

Welcome to the forum. The amount of information you can pick up is tremendous. I have a baikal O/U in 9.3x74R which I have shot about 400 rounds through now. I have written about this rifle on ealier posts on this forum. I am getting the 270 grain speer out at 2300 Fps and there is room to push this to 2400fps if you want. IMHO this cartridge would be a better sambar round than the 45.70 with light loads and I also think the O/C is a stronger action than the side by side Baikal. I have shot both and the O/U is more comfortable to shoot.

This rifle is a plain jane solid outfit. It is not a merkel etc. The regulating device DOES work on my rifle and I can regulate the rifle to any bullet load. This will come in handy in October when I go to N.T. after buffalo. Woodleigh 286 grainers will be my choice.

McDonalds Gunshop in Footscray have 3 of these 9.3x74R left for about $1450.00. To spend $4000.00 buying and converting a baikel to another calibre is a lot of money, as it is still a baikal. For $3500.00 you can get a nice fabarm 9.3x74R with ejectors and such and for a few dollars extra you can pick up a set of 20 gauge barrels. For $5500.00 you can get a new Beretta Silver sable double 9.3x74R. Both of these rifles are much better looking than the baikal, but I do not think they shoot any better.

Just a few more options for you to think about.. PM if you want more information.

Wayne

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

watto
.275 member

Re: Spartan s/s [Re: 450]
      #80409 - 12/06/07 09:51 AM

Thanks for your thoughts Wayne. Is the Fabarm a sxs or u/o? Even though at a practical level there is probably no reason, I have always had a desire to own a sxs DR. I guess it is the romantic in me with dreams of times gone by. I know that arguments are sometimes put forward about the difference in reload times, but I think that would be affected much more by what animal was coming toward you and at what speed, or as would be much more likely in my position, running away from me. In the country I mainly hunt it is a great hunt when you see a Sambar, even better when you get to take a shot and a miracle if you get a chance at a second, so I can forget the reload argument. I also think the broad sighting plane of the sxs could be slightly quicker for target acquisition when a quick shot is required. Having said all that I might give McDonalds a ring about the 9.3's.

Ian

500Nitro
.450 member

#80414 - 12/06/07 11:14 AM

Watto

Regardless of Practice, O/U doubles are definately
slower to reload.

The same as some SxS DR's with very big third bites
can be - until you are used to them - slower than
other side by sides.

.300 member

#80415 - 12/06/07 11:16 AM

Watto.

I would like to own a good quality side by side too. My budget(and the war department at home) decides what I can buy and what I can not buy. The Fabarm is an O/U. My Baikal is going to be used on Sambar as well as buffalo and I hope scrub bulls along with general hunting of ferals. It is personal choices that differ. I have no regrets now buying the baikal as it has done everything I have asked so far. With me retiring this Friday, it should with my other rifles see a lot more hunting and shooting now. Good luck with your quest.

Wayne

--------------------

.300 member

#80416 - 12/06/07 11:23 AM

Watto

As an add on, I can get 4 shots out of the baikal in 12 seconds reasonably easy and that is with extracters. A side by side with extracters would not be much faster IMHO. Ejectors are much quicker. I would suggest that two shots on a sambar is about all you will get in most cases if you are lucky.

Wayne

--------------------

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
      #80417 - 12/06/07 11:34 AM

If you are going to spend $4000 plus why noy get a Pedersoli double in 45/70 and I think they come in 9.3 as well or run the credit card another $4000 up and look around for a Merkel you might get lucky and get a used one.

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Edited by RLI (12/06/07 11:40 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Spartan s/s [Re: RLI]
      #80429 - 12/06/07 02:40 PM

I really don't understand why as soon as a "Spartan" is mentioned, why people want to immediately modify it especially for larger cartridges?

It is an el-cheapo thing to start off with, certainly not a lot of value into sinking lots of money modifying it, and for larger chamberings, if it was safe, wouldn't the makers have done it?

Buy one and use it as it is. Or buy something better and have something with better re-sale value later.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Spartan s/s [Re: NitroX]
      #80430 - 12/06/07 02:59 PM

Or buy a cheap shotgun action (Greener)
and make that into a 45/70 !

I agree - if it was feasable, the manufacturers would have done it as they know how high demand is.

9.3x57
.450 member

#80442 - 12/06/07 10:16 PM

Quote:

I really don't understand why as soon as a "Spartan" is mentioned, why people want to immediately modify it especially for larger cartridges?

It is an el-cheapo thing to start off with, certainly not a lot of value into sinking lots of money modifying it, and for larger chamberings, if it was safe, wouldn't the makers have done it?

Buy one and use it as it is. Or buy something better and have something with better re-sale value later.

+1

If you get a good one consider yourself Favored and don't push things any further than that...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

500Nitro
.450 member

#80449 - 12/06/07 10:42 PM

Nitro X - Well said

9Three
"If you get a good one consider yourself Favored and don't push things any further than that... "

In your dreams !

You know how people like to push the envelope.

9.3x57
.450 member

#80452 - 12/06/07 10:56 PM

Quote:

In your dreams !

You know how people like to push the envelope.

I'm sorry.

Is this better?

"If you get a good one consider yourself Favored and go ahead and modify the thing to your heart's content using a cartridge and load that requires the most extensive removal of metal from the barrels, forces total reworking of the extractors and maximises back thrust and please post pictures of gun and groups after attempting to shoot a minimum of 500 rounds of maximum pressure loads or feel free to dictate through your nose tube the results to a friend and have said friend post here until you are released from hospital and/or the care of your psychiatrist."

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#80453 - 12/06/07 11:14 PM

9Three

Very good indeed.

To be honest, with all the "home grown" DR's and modifications
people talk about, I am surprised we don't see more "accidents".

watto
.275 member

#80469 - 13/06/07 07:53 AM

Thank you Wayne, John and others for your thoughts and suggestions.
I have been in contact with McDonalds Wayne and as soon as I can get to Melbourne I will go and have a look at the u/o 9.3's. I think the point was missed that my idea was never to just re-chamber the Baikal, but to utilise the .458 barrels with their regulating system, and have them adapted by a good gunsmith to fit the Fausti 12G sxs action. I thought that would work out easier than going through the whole saga of starting with blank barrels. In any case I have given the idea away since hearing the weakness with the Bailals was not in the action, but in the barrel, with the 45/70.

Thanks, Ian.

.300 member

#80504 - 13/06/07 10:55 AM

Watto.

If you would ike to shoot the 9.3 before you buy one, let me know a few days before you come down to McDonalds and I will meet you and take you for a shot.

Wayne

--------------------

Michael
.275 member

Reged: 28/07/05
Loc: Darwin, Northern Territory
      #80518 - 13/06/07 02:12 PM

Is the 45/70 sxs double being introduced by Baikal in Australia? Further information please.

My only experience with the Baikal doubles have been the 9.3x74R, 30/06, .308 O/U and the 30/06 sxs. If the 45/70 sxs double does arrive I would be very interested in one. Not looking to push the envelope as the 45/70 in factory ammo guise can do most of what I want it to do anyway.

I also agree that the sxs doubles are more desireable, but after seeing .450's O/U 9.3x74R in action it is starting to grow on me as well. The Fabarm package is definately appealing to the eye and adjustable as well.

Good luck!

watto
.275 member

#80528 - 13/06/07 07:00 PM

G'day again Wayne and thanks for your kind offer, which if I can organise it I would love to accept.
I will send you a note when I know when I can get down.

Michael, I am told the first couple of 45/70's will arrive next month. Having said that I have been trying to get one for 2 years, so I will really believe it when I see it. If I decide to go for the 9.3 I will let you know about the 45/70.

All the best, Ian.

9.3x57
.450 member

#80541 - 13/06/07 11:01 PM

Gents, I am interested in why you are leaning toward .45-70 over the 9.3x74R. Just curious. I am a fan of the .45-70, have used it on whitetail deer, black bear and range cattle and have no gripes and as for the x74R, I have no experience with it but I very much like the 9.3 barrel hole in the x57 and in x74R configuration imagine it would be just that much more fun.

So curiousity prompts me to wonder. Why .45-70?

--------------------

watto
.275 member

#80546 - 14/06/07 12:30 AM

I guess for me it is mainly just to add a big bore to my hunting selection. As I think I have said here before, I have a .22Hornet, a .303 smle sporter and Tika T3 .300 WSM. I do already have another 45/70 but that is in a replica Sharps topped with a (I think) Navy Arms 4 pwr x 24" brass scope. The Sharps is great for playing with but not really practical for dragging round the bush chasing Sambar deer. I have also owned a Ruger #3 carbine in 45/70 which I keep trying to buy back and if I can ever
talk the present owner into parting with it, that WILL become a 450 Alaskan. If I do end up with a Baikal DR in 45/70, I fully realise that this is not a rifle that you can push the envelope with the loads, but staying within the pressure constraints using 350Gr proectiles makes a pretty potent relatively short range Sambar rifle for heavy bush country.

So in answer to 9ThreeXFifty7, why not? Ps:I also previously had an 8 x 57 Mauser and loved it.

All the best, Ian.

9.3x57
.450 member

#80609 - 14/06/07 11:52 AM

watto:

Interested in what would motivate a Aussie to buy a .45-70 is all. I personally very much like the cartridge as I think I intimated before. Haven't hunted with it in a few years but a few days ago I shot some rounds into my test media and got to thinking about some of my hunts with it. Wondered if you guys have some particular bullet or some such that gives it a local flair.

By the way, I own two commericial 8x57's; Swede 640's. They are dandys, too!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#80615 - 14/06/07 12:54 PM

What attracts many to the Spartan in .45/70 is it is a pseudo "big bore" side by side double rifle. And more affordable than the rest, but not necessarily better value.

If they shoot well enough I think they are a good thing, offering guys a chance at owning a side by side DR and in a .45/70 (or 9.3mm) hopefully a reasonable brush rifle.

Watto,

"If I do end up with a Baikal DR in 45/70, I fully realise that this is not a rifle that you can push the envelope with the loads, but staying within the pressure constraints using 350Gr proectiles makes a pretty potent relatively short range Sambar rifle for heavy bush country."

I know you prefer the .45/70 and I understand why, but a 9.3x74R will still make a better sambar rifle! Why? Because the 9.3x74R seems to be pretty much the standard for DR "driven game" hunting of boar, moose and stag in Europe. Perfect for sambar too IMO. A 286 gr 9.3 will out penetrate a 350 gr .45 anyday.

I think where the .45/70 will excel is as a close quarters pig rifle. Fun.

Good luck with the rifle. Hope it works well for you.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

watto
.275 member

#80632 - 14/06/07 07:41 PM

9ThreexFifty7.

Woodliegh 350gn @ 2050 fps!

Ian

watto
.275 member

#80637 - 14/06/07 09:36 PM

9ThreeXFifty

Consider me pretty well convinced, I am going to Melbourne next week to have a look at a
Baikal 9.3 u/o. I had a look at a 30/06 sxs yesterday, it didn't feel bad but I did not like the look
of the extractors. That tiny little point that picks up the groove in the rimless case did not fill me with confidence. I am also looking at a Fabarm but I don't think I can stretch the budget enough at the moment. I've also been told on this site that although they look better than the Baikal, they probably don't work any better.

All the best, Ian.

9.3x57
.450 member

#80643 - 14/06/07 11:24 PM

Thanks for the info. Interesting.

Here are a couple more tests I shot this past weekend.

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=231211

For more 9.3 bullet tests see the ".375 Penetration" post in Reloading.

Here are some observations from my use of the .45-70. It seems the cartridge might have controversy status around here. All my experience has been with 2 Marlin 1895's.

The .45-70 is a very interesting cartridge, particularly so in a strong action such as the Marlin 1895. The trouble as far as I am concerned is that it prints different loads to wildly different POI and unless the gun has easily adjustable sights a guy is absolutely best finding one load and sticking to it. A 300 gr JHP at 3000 fps will print somewhere in the next county compared to a 405 gr JSP at 1200. I'm not sure what all that means for a double .45-70, meaning I wonder if a guy would have to alter his loads possibly to a load he really doesn't like in order to get the thing to regulate. And in my opinion I would NOT, for example, want to be stuck shooting the 405/1200 load.

My brother has had excellent results with a 300/1800 load on deer. It shoots flat to 100 yards. Crazy to say that but a 405/1100 or 405/1200 doesn't, needing sometimes {yes it varies} upwards of 2 inches or more midrange to zero at 100. This doesn't sound like a big deal but where we hunt we need to be able to literally thread needles to kill deer. But don't look down on a 300 JHP at 1800 to 2100 fps out of the Marlin. It kills deer just fine and usually does so with a hole on the offside the size of {who's reading this?...} a cricket ball!

I myself have tended to go a different way and have used the Lee 402 grain Hollow Point cast bullet for all my hunting {I think, might have shot a deer or two with a JHP}. Anyway, that Lee I cast of straight wheelweights, unhardened, using a grease felt and card wad column over a compressed load of 3031 I put together and driving to 1640 fps. Yes, this bullet can be pushed to near 1900 fps but in the Marlin is pure unadulterated misery to shoot. I'd rather get audited by the IRS again than shoot another magazinefull.

But that 402HP/1640 load is a killer. I've shot bear, deer and 2 big semiwild range cattle with it. One of those cattle was among three that were struck on a road by a motorist and injured. It went went berserk, aggressively charging and chasing the Sheriff's Deputy {9mm and M16 armed} under his patrol car and the rancher up the mountain {he mounted fortunately, but unarmed}. None of this did I know when the rancher asked me if I wanted her for the freezer. Cheap meat? Sure. I declined to use a friend's .38 revolver he had in his pocket and instead took the Marlin. I'm really glad I didn't take the pistol...

The cow had an injured hind leg but it didn't seem to slow her. As I said, I didn't know the "history" on this animal but I did know something was up because the rancher was now parked about a quarter of a mile away in his pickup and not getting any closer. I found the bovine peacefully chewing her cud over in the landing at the cedar mill. I walked up behind her to put one in the back of her head and she must have heard me approach as in one graceful {?} movement she was up, swapped ends and without further ado came hell-for-leather for me when I got to about 30 yards.

I'll hazard a guess {only half tongue-in-cheek} that our mobile butcher has taken more big beef charges than most any barload of PH's in Africa and I remembered what he told me and did so. Stuck the bullet 2 inches below a line drawn between her eyes as her head was stuck straight out pointed toward you-know-who.

At the shot she dropped like Clinton's pants at a Mary Kay Convention, dead as Clinton's honor.

All that to say this: That 402 went through the head, pulped the neck and came to rest in the shoulder, 24 inches of penetration through bone and heavy sinew. You farm boys know what a big crossbred commercial cow looks and weighs like.

The Lee 402HP acts like a Nosler Partition. I've shot other game where I needed excess penetration {shooting through boughs to get to treed bear} and it works. It is my favorite bullet for the .45-70 at medium-high velocities. Only trouble with it is it is a wee bit undersize for my Marlin. My wad column takes care of leading problems in the summer, but at -10 Fahrenheit you can expect a streak or two of leading.

The .45-70 has it's place in the scheme of things. It is heartily NOT comparable to a .470 or .500 or even .458 Win Mag and it surprises me to hear that some might think it is, but it can be a very dependable killer on biggish game. Picking the right bullet and driving it to over 1500 fps helps.

Having said all that, I think a double 9.3x74R would be far more useful for the general run of hunting.

--------------------

Sam
.224 member

Reged: 11/04/06
      #80658 - 15/06/07 04:48 AM

So: There are nobody who have any experience with the Spartan (Baikal) s/s?

And why 45-70?
Because I have a Marlin in this caliber - and it`s great!

.300 member

#80663 - 15/06/07 07:45 AM

Sam.
I have shot the side by side Baikal in 30.06. I did not like the feel of the rifle, it was hard to get my cheak low enough onto the stock to look through the sights. IMHO the O/U appears to have more meat around the chamber and looks to be a stronger action. The sXs is much lighter than the O/U
I can not comment on the regulating device on the sXs.
It may appeal to other people, but not to me.

Wayne

--------------------

watto
.275 member

#80665 - 15/06/07 09:43 AM

Wayne, do you have or know of any reload / ballistic figures for the Baikal o/u in 9.3 x 74?

Thanks Ian.

.300 member

#80924 - 19/06/07 10:55 AM

Watto.

I sent an email to ADI and they went me some loads for the 9.3x74r. I can supply you with a copy. I have tested all of them and settled on the ones that suit my rifle. I will give you a ring on the numbers you supplied to arrange for you to shoot my rifle. Do not know any motel near footscray. try the web

Wayne

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#81032 - 20/06/07 09:04 PM

Quote:

Watto.

I sent an email to ADI and they went me some loads for the 9.3x74r. I can supply you with a copy. I have tested all of them and settled on the ones that suit my rifle. ....
Wayne

Wayne,

Can you email me those loads as well and which ones worked well for you? Please use the email address at the bottom of the forums (ie Contact Us). I would be interested in seeing them.

On the Baikal/Spartan Side by Side .45/70.

Are these actually being sold in Australia now? By whom? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

watto
.275 member

#81042 - 20/06/07 11:13 PM

G'day John,
now the bad news, today I rang the shop were I had my order and deposit for the 45/70 only to find the saga continues. Apparently baikal have now decided that the USA will get them first and we have to wait for probably 12 more months. I had pretty well decided to go for the 9.3 anyway, after hearing the advise from you blokes on this site. I thought briefly about the Fabarm in 9.3, which looks nice, but now for about the same sort of money I am looking at a 9.3 Baikal o/u and a 16 bore cape gun. I first looked at the cape a couple of years ago but didn't go ahead with it, but just found out that it is still available. That should hold off my desire for a sxs for a year or 2, when hopefully I can spend a bit more mony.

All the best, Ian.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#81123 - 22/06/07 02:54 AM

Ian

The 16 bore 'cape gun'. Is it in U/O or S/S configuration? What is the rifle barrel in? Is it a Baikal as well?

Thanks. Just interested.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rich
.224 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: Fayette county Pa.
      #81125 - 22/06/07 05:09 AM

I have been building doubles on Baikal? spartan actions for about 8 yrs. now, am a retired gunsmith of 42 yrs. They make good cheap actions with a little work. I only load rounds that don't exceed 40'000 lb. Here is a cape gun i just finished, will be shipped to Costa Rica next week. it is a 4570 x 12 gauge regulated for 54 grs. imr 3031 in the rifle and Brenneke Black Magic in the smooth bore.
[image][/image]

Rich
.224 member

Re: Spartan s/s [Re: Rich]
      #81127 - 22/06/07 05:12 AM

[image][/image]

Rich
.224 member

#81128 - 22/06/07 05:13 AM

[image][/image]

Rich
.224 member

#81129 - 22/06/07 05:14 AM

[image][/image]

Rich
.224 member

#81130 - 22/06/07 05:16 AM

[image][/image]

9.3x57
.450 member

#81135 - 22/06/07 10:43 AM

Quote:

I have been building doubles on Baikal? spartan actions for about 8 yrs. now, am a retired gunsmith of 42 yrs. They make good cheap actions with a little work. I only load rounds that don't exceed 40'000 lb. Here is a cape gun i just finished, will be shipped to Costa Rica next week. it is a 4570 x 12 gauge regulated for 54 grs. imr 3031 in the rifle and Brenneke Black Magic in the smooth bore.

Very interesting post!

Great shooting, too.

Can you explain the method you use to build and regulate the shotgun and rifle barrels?

--------------------

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
      #81139 - 22/06/07 12:20 PM

Rich:
I am very impressed. i have a couple of Cape gun (sxs) oldies. The combo you have looks great and is very practicle and formidable for most any American hunting. North /Central or South America!
I will post some photos of mine later on.
Both are 16 ga X one is .50 caliber and the other a 9.5X56R. The .50 is more basic than the 9,5.
I love these kind of guns. They are fun to shoot. Attract alot of comments and are super for the big Texas Hogs in the Hill Country.
88MauSporter.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Spartan s/s [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #81158 - 23/06/07 03:52 AM

Those .45/70/shotgun cape guns look very versatile for mixed game hunting in thick bush.

I imagine they would be in demand too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

watto
.275 member

#81189 - 24/06/07 01:16 AM

G'day John and others.

The cape gun I have just bought is an old sxs under lever hammer gun, Engraved with "Tipping and Lowden London". Both barrels are 16 bore, with left rifled and the right smooth bored. I will have to ask some advise here, I was under the impression that a cape gun always had two barrels of the same bore, with one rifled and one smooth and if one barrel was a different calibre/bore it was then a combination. If I am wrong could someone explain the difference between the cape and the combo please.

All the best, Ian.

9.3x57
.450 member

#81190 - 24/06/07 01:32 AM

Combination is a catch-all term involving multibarrel guns utilizing different calibers/bores.

I believe Cape Gun can be used to describe both the guns you identify.

Other names:

1} Büchsflinte; sxs or o/u, rifle/shotgun, AKA "Cape Gun"
2} Drilling; 3 barrels, two shotgun, one rifle
3} Bockdrilling; o/u 3 barrels, 2 rifle {sometimes different calibers, e.g. 8x57J/.22 LR or .22 Hornet}, one shotgun
4} Vierling; 4 barrels, 2 shotgun, 2 rifle, rifle barrels different calibers {as in an 8x57J and a .22}

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#81200 - 24/06/07 06:18 AM

"I will have to ask some advise here, I was under the impression that a cape gun always had two barrels of the same bore, with one rifled and one smooth and if one barrel was a different calibre/bore it was then a combination. If I am wrong could someone explain the difference between the cape and the combo please."

Not an expert but my understanding is the term "cape gun" obviously originates from the "Cape" of South Africa and describes a side by side firearm with one smooth bore barrel and one rifled barrel. Not necessarily the same calibre.

A versatile firearm for mixed game hunting especially for sustenance when small game and birds might present themselves or antelope/medium sized game.

In reality the same thing as a "combination gun" except the "combo" is more usually an under and over. "Cape Gun" is probably a more "romantic" term for a side by side combination firearm.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

watto
.275 member

#81209 - 24/06/07 09:42 AM

Would anybody know anything of Tipping and Lowden of London?

Thanks, Ian.

Rich
.224 member

#81214 - 24/06/07 11:09 AM

No #1 is commonly called a cape gun. [image][/image]

9.3x57
.450 member

#81248 - 25/06/07 01:28 AM

Rich: Can you explain the method you use to build and regulate the shotgun and rifle barrels?

--------------------

.300 member

#81359 - 27/06/07 10:12 AM

John

Loading details have been sent. When I Chronograph themI will sent the results.

Wayne

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11297

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com