Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Merkel or Krieghoff Double

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Merkel or Krieghoff Double
      #8008 - 01/02/04 02:47 PM

...i copied this from another chat board site in respect of a disscusion that i participated in, and thought i would post the same to spark discussion amongst those who have actually used both the merkel as well as the krieghoff doubles...this would make for a valuable reference point in terms of a prospective purchaser, given the tremendous experience of the nitroexpress.com posters...

5161: Merkel SxS doubles
07/10/03-2:17 PM Posted by:

Does anyone have experience with Merkels? They seem to be a bit more affordable that others. I can't get a SxS double out of my head. The Westley Richards .577 Nitro I had fooled with last spring is now on gunsamerica.com for $38,500. When I held it, they were asking $41,500. It is still way to much for my coffers. Butch Searcy can make a .577 for about $18,000. I see that Merkels in .470 are selling for about $8,000. Perhaps, just to have a double, it might be wise to get a Merkel in .470. Ammo is plentiful and I really can't see myself using it much, but sure would like to have one. On the 4th of July, I beat myself up silly. Shot two boxes of 300 grain Hornadys out of the two Winchester .375 H&Hs, a box of 400 grain Hornadys out of the .416 Rigby and a box of 500 grain Hornadys out of the Lott. I chased that up with a box of .264 Win. Mags. (140 grain Sierra boattails). Didn't do too well with the .264 Win. Mag. after all that pounding. It was hot as a pistol but had the range basically to myself. Anyway, I was thinking about liquidating some less used things and maybe lean towards a Merkel if they are decent. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

------------------------------------------------------------

5163: Merkel SxS doubles
07/11/03-4:54 AM Posted by:

I have a pair of Merkels, a 9.3X74 and a .470. The 9.3 is "factory" except for the recoil pad which is thicker to gain pull. The .470 has the pad changed also and the front sights changed to a bead and a flip-up ivory night sight. Both now fit me to a "T" and I love using them, cannot find fault with either. The balance is perfect, andas much as I hate to admit it, I think I prefer them to any of the classic English guns I've handled and owned. After a few hundred rounds through both I'd have to term them a "best buy".

I recently picked up a 9.3 Kreighoff and feel it's half the gun the Merkel is, .....poor finish (hot blue), crude engraving, and poorer balance. The wood finishing appears done by Mossberg and will be redone this winter. It's only redeeming feature is that it was ordered with QD bases for an Aimpoint in EAW mounts. I knew the Europeans like this set-up, but I've always preferred open sights .........."shoot like a man"! ....But that Aimpoint sure makes it a sweetheart, it comes right up!

The Searcy I've only handled, but was reasonable impressed, and the advantage with these is that Butch is based in the U.S. and willing to build to your specs and back his product.

Drop me a line if you've got any more questions.

Back to the Merkels, I'd suggest shopping around a bit as I've seen them moving for less than $8000, although eight would be okay with the US$ where it is today.

Still have a pair of August hunts available and I could provide the rifles to try out!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Merkel or Krieghoff Double [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #8263 - 06/02/04 07:22 AM

TE, I think you have been told the facts! I have not owned the Krieghoff, but I have shot several, and examined quite a few more, and I personally like the Merkel better! It is a more classical style rifle, and the ones I've owned, and still own are fine working rifles. I would suggest,however, that you buy without the engaveing, unless you can afford the custom engraveing offered on the very upscale rifles. The optional engraveing on the 142.2 is not real good, and costs over $1000 usd. That $1K will buy a lot of ammo for a 470NE, and the rifle looks better without it anyway. The Merkel is a bargain at $8000 USD, for a working rifle, IMO!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: Merkel or Krieghoff Double [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #8277 - 06/02/04 09:20 AM

dugaboy1,

...many thanks for taking the time to respond...

...i really like the merkel smooth bores, and would expect their double rifles to be similar in many respects...i also understand that merkel supplies actions to rigbys, and barrels to krieghoff, and can't really see how they can mess up on their own rifle offerings...seems like the typical 'benz vs, bimmer' arguments...

...the feature i found really lacking in the krieghoff doubles is the safety/cocking mechanism in terms of being an obstruction to rapid reloads and somewhat difficult to engage/disengage...

...that said, i do like the krieghoff singles (hubertus) more than the merkel singles (k95) in terms of actioning system, fit, finish and balance...

te

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4912

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com