Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: More shooting advice???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Rustyzipper
.275 member

Reged: 20/10/03
Loc: North of the Zambezi, in Miser...
More shooting advice???
      #79478 - 27/05/07 11:28 AM

I shot my 9.3X74 today, about 35 rounds. I tried a tripod with folded cloth padding for a standing bench rest. My shooting spot is a public range so a portable standing bench was required. The camera tripod was somewhat of an economical model and took some experimentation. I only shot at 20 yards. Changed my scope to a 1x4 VariX II with premier reticle. It is quite thick at the outside and brings my eye to the center for fast and running shots. I shot about one inch to the right with the first two shots. Centered it with a move to the left and it was good. Only the second time I have centered a new mount job with one adjustment. I then went on a rampage killing empty pop cans and one on the ground that was full. The loads were Prvi 285 gr at a mid level velocity by the load manual. 50 plus grains of IMR 4895. The load shredded the can into strips with a top and bottom bent but intact. There is a cool crater where the can sat. Now to the main Q. What would make a more secure upright bench that is still removable? It must be easy to disassemble for transprotation to the range and back. It may need to be midgetized for me, at 5'1". Ideas? My tripod just wasn't encouraging enough for a try at 100 yards. Thanks. RZ

--------------------
NMLRA Life, NRA Annual,DRSS, .......

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: More shooting advice??? [Re: Rustyzipper]
      #79492 - 28/05/07 01:56 AM

Rusty,
I was thinking about looking in some of the pawn shops for a surveyors tripod. they may have one cheap. They are pretty sturdy and can be adapted to a standing rest.
Bill

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #79504 - 28/05/07 12:09 PM

There are various manufacturers that have quick assembly rests that are more commonly used by varmint hunters--you also see them in cableas -I would check those--I have used them before for shooting prairie dogs and they work fairly well. Having said that, IMHO the best is shooting off of a concrete rest at a range--
Ripp

Rustyzipper
.275 member

Re: More shooting advice??? [Re: Ripp]
      #79558 - 29/05/07 11:42 AM

A double rifle shot from a concrete bench rest can be hitting to different points of impact as when shot from the shoulder. It is quite common. STANDING BENCH RESTS? I think the surveyor's tripod to be the cat's meow. I just have to get one now. I can see several other uses for one as well as shooting. I do have a folding bench rest for varmint shooting. It just won't duplicate the standing style of shooting double rifles. I could be wrong if the o/u shoots the same from the shoulder and sitting bench rest. But most folks discourage it. That includes Graeme Wright in his book on shooting the British double rifle. Thanks. Rusty

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #79560 - 29/05/07 12:49 PM

Rusty
You need to figure out [if you are right handed, if left handed reverse directions] how to have your left hand and your right elbow supported.

I usually shoot sitting, resting my forearms on my knees.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #79561 - 29/05/07 12:55 PM

Quote:

A double rifle shot from a concrete bench rest can be hitting to different points of impact as when shot from the shoulder. It is quite common. STANDING BENCH RESTS? I think the surveyor's tripod to be the cat's meow. I just have to get one now. I can see several other uses for one as well as shooting. I do have a folding bench rest for varmint shooting. It just won't duplicate the standing style of shooting double rifles. I could be wrong if the o/u shoots the same from the shoulder and sitting bench rest. But most folks discourage it. That includes Graeme Wright in his book on shooting the British double rifle. Thanks. Rusty

This is a fairy tale. Purdey, among others, regulates their double rifles from a conventional sitting bench rest. Set up properly, a sitting bench rest works just as well as a standing rest. You just can't do it the same way as it's done with a bolt rifle.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: More shooting advice??? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #79572 - 29/05/07 10:47 PM

I have shot both a 9.3X74R and a 3756H&H double from a bench with no issues. I usually use a standing bench, or a pad on the top of a tall railing, if I want to sight in a larger bore. Never tried the 500NE or my 505 Gibbs in a bolt from a bench, might be an 'interesting' experience. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: More shooting advice??? [Re: dnovo]
      #79577 - 30/05/07 02:09 AM

A guy I know who works for Purdey regulated a recent .600 from a sitting rest. A standing rest would make that more bearable. However, I shoot doubles up to .500 from a conventional bench with no issues. You just have to set it up right.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: More shooting advice??? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #79585 - 30/05/07 07:04 AM

Nah, you guys down in Tejas just like pain. I prefer shooting anything larger than a 450 standing up. Can you do what you do, 400? Sure. Do I relish the thought? Nope. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Rustyzipper
.275 member

Re: More shooting advice??? [Re: dnovo]
      #79803 - 03/06/07 12:54 AM

Thanks for the information and grins. Rusty Z

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1994

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com